Need an inexpensive starter gps

talrcat

That's a good unit, there's also a nice Garmin 76 for sale for $100...that's a good deal as well!! Remember to buy the BEST unit you can afford at the time...upgrading is expensive (especially if it's just a few months or so later...and if you need to replace all the equipment too)!!

Not trying to ruin your sale PB, just giving ideas!!

The Garmin 76 is waterproof and has a larger screen but has no base maps, no built in memory, and no way to add maps, (such as topo maps). I would opt for the Garmin legend. The Legend has 8 mb of memory, which is not a lot, but its enough to download a topo that covers a big chunk of any state. Some people don't use the map screen at all while geocaching, but I like to at least look at the map once I've found a difficult cache. To get mapping in the 76 series you have to go up to a GPSMAP76. I used my Legend for over 5 years, and now keep it as a back up. I have seen re-furbished Legends at places like Gander Mountain for $100, (+tax). 75 bucks isn't too bad and you should be able to find someone who will download an area topo on your GPS from their map program. You might try a pawn shop, just make sure the unit works. I would recommend a Garmin unit from previous experience with other units, I think they are easier to use. When I was looking for my first GPS I talked with a cartographer that worked for National Geographic at an REI store. He said he had 10 GPS units, and perfered the Garmin.

Good luck

The Garmin 76 is waterproof and has a larger screen but has no base maps, no built in memory, and no way to add maps, (such as topo maps). I would opt for the Garmin legend. The Legend has 8 mb of memory, which is not a lot, but its enough to download a topo that covers a big chunk of any state. Some people don't use the map screen at all while geocaching, but I like to at least look at the map once I've found a difficult cache. To get mapping in the 76 series you have to go up to a GPSMAP76. I used my Legend for over 5 years, and now keep it as a back up. I have seen re-furbished Legends at places like Gander Mountain for $100, (+tax). 75 bucks isn't too bad and you should be able to find someone who will download an area topo on your GPS from their map program. You might try a pawn shop, just make sure the unit works. I would recommend a Garmin unit from previous experience with other units, I think they are easier to use. When I was looking for my first GPS I talked with a cartographer that worked for National Geographic at an REI store. He said he had 10 GPS units, and perfered the Garmin.

Good luck

Cowboy,

The unit we are talking about is the GPSMAP 76. Sorry we didn't use the full name, forgot about the other. I only suggest mapping units.

Maldar