Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

rwtebo

I just recently got my Garmin 60CSx, and it worked well yesterday. However, today I can't seem to get any satellite signals. I get an "acquiring satellites" message that lasts for hours.

Yesterday I had signals from about 15 satellites - today I can't get any. I'm in the same place, with the same weather conditions. I am thinking something must be wrong with my unit.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to try next?

Silly question...Are you outside? If I'm in a house, somedays I get the Satellites, somedays I don't.

Next...On the Satellite screen, press Memu once...the top sould say "Use With GPS Off" (that means the GPS is on)...don't change that.

Press Quit and you should be back at the satellite screen.

Press the Menu twice and you should see all the options. Look for "SETUP" it looks like a wrench Icon.

Move cursor to there and press enter....not move the cursor to "SYSTEM" and press enter.

At the top...the GPS should be "NORMAL".

The next line is WAAS / EGNOS...I have mine set to "ENABLED".

Press quit 3 times and you should be back to the sattelite screen.

Turn off...turn On.

-----------------------------------

Thats about it....you may try updating your units software too ... just to get the latest.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download.jsp

I just recently got my Garmin 60CSx, and it worked well yesterday. However, today I can't seem to get any satellite signals. I get an "acquiring satellites" message that lasts for hours.

Yesterday I had signals from about 15 satellites - today I can't get any. I'm in the same place, with the same weather conditions. I am thinking something must be wrong with my unit.

I had a GpsMap 60csx for Xmas and also have a queery,..when i am stationary the position icon jumps around and draws tracks all over the place, and the trip page starts updating and shows the max speed and the distance travelled keeps increasing.also when walking the track swings from side to side which my 60c dod not do.....When in car everything seems ok! I have software version 3.50..has any one had similar problems?

Dave

I'm sure you have this problem resolved already, but for others that may come across this post looking for answers, you just needed to reload the chipset software to get your unit to aquire satellites.

I have had to fix two of these units already. It happens. Remember, the GPS is a basically a specialized computer and the software can be corrupted.

I've tried the hard reset twice and it doesn't make a difference at all. It still won't acquire any satellites.... All settings are correct and I took it outside (even though previously it would acquire fine inside our house).

How do I reload the chipset software???

I will try the hard reset also. I have the 60csx, worked great for a week (I recieved it last Monday NEW) Saturday night I had 10 satellites and accuracy to 9 feet. Usually it would acquire a satellite almost instantly IN my house, now it take about 15 minutes of me driving to work to get it to find some satellites, and the accuracy is at 30-50ft.

I think I may buy the extended warranty for $30....

A thing to check is that what is your gps software version.

Dont have mine with me right now, so I cant tell you how to do it, but most probably GPS chipset firmware is damaged and will show you 0.00 instead of what it should be. If that is the case then go to garmin website and download latest and greatest missing firmware for your device and flash it.

Hopefully it will fix the problem.

Thanks. I rang Garmin up (I hadn't seen your answer yet) and they talked me through doing exactly that!

To find the software version:

Go to Main menu, Set Up, System. Click on Menu again, scroll down to Software Version. This will show you the software version (latest = 3.60) and the GPS SW Version. Mine indeed said 0.00, instead of 3.00 (= latest version). Garmin said that the GPS software was missing.

To get the software back in, he told me to go to http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=931 and download the Webupdater. Then we ran the Webupdater, which then installed first the latest version of the Software, and then found the GPS software as well and installed that too. (You have to do this with the GPS connected to the PC and ON).

It's now working like a treat, and even acquires again inside my house! I asked him if I should do the same if it happened again, and he told me to contact them if so as that wouldn't be right and they'd likely have a look at the machine instead. It certainly shouldn't happen twice.

In the UK Garmin's freephone number is 0808 238 0000.

I've had several GPSr's, 2 Legend-C's, 76 CSX, 60 Cx and currently a 60CSX, My first Legend-C was fairly accurate if not a bit slow, my 2nd Legend-C was a warranty replacement when my first one started to delaminate from the rubberized armour, it sucked as it was terribly innaccurate and slow. The 60 Cx was great and fast (sorry I got rid of it) and the 76Csx was a horrible unit, slow, inaccurate, poorly laid out (but it floated).

My current 60 Csx is weird. It bounces all over the place. When I'm walking (with track on) it on a sunny day with no trees, no buildings, open field if I walk a straight line, the track will be a zig-zag of angles. When I stop it will continue as if predicting where I would have gone.

Geocaching is much less enjoyable as when I had the original Legend or the previous 60Cx as I am not often in those perfect conditions but more likely in the woods or in town where the GPS is even less accurate. Does this sound like yours?

Anyone use Magellan?

Anyone ever try to compare several GPSr's with a surveyors GPS?

What were the results?

BigBadger

Edited by BigBadger

My current 60 Csx is weird. It bounces all over the place. When I'm walking (with track on) it on a sunny day with no trees, no buildings, open field if I walk a straight line, the track will be a zig-zag of angles. When I stop it will continue as if predicting where I would have gone.

BigBadger

Sounds like a defective unit. Your first 60CSx didn't do it but now you current one does it. Call garmin and have them replace it. Your comment about the 76CSx I don't understand since the same guts are in both the 60 and 76 units. They should be comparable.

BigBadger

Sounds like a defective unit. Your first 60CSx didn't do it but now you current one does it. Call garmin and have them replace it. Your comment about the 76CSx I don't understand since the same guts are in both the 60 and 76 units. They should be comparable.

To be clear the first one wasn't an 'S' model, but maybe you are right about a defect. My concern with that route is that the Canadian warranty depot for Garmin may do what they did last time and send me a reconditioned one instead. which I do not want if my last experience with the Legend-C was any indicator.

Badger

Edited by BigBadger

To be clear the first one wasn't an 'S' model, but maybe you are right about a defect. My concern with that route is that the Canadian warranty depot for Garmin may do what they did last time and send me a reconditioned one instead. which I do not want if my last experience with the Legend-C was any indicator.

First, I don’t think your experience is typical. You seem to have had an extraordinary amount of bad luck getting what sound like defective units. I have a 76CSx and before that had a 76CS. They have both worked great, as far as I could tell.

Second, before you ask Garmin to replace your current unit, you could always try a full reset, and if that doesn’t work, reload the firmware and do another hard reset. If that doesn’t fix the problem, you can still try for the exchange; so you have little to lose.

Third, if the reconditioned unit you received was factory refurbished, there’s no reason to be reluctant to try another. Dealers who sell factory refurbs, and people who buy them, generally report good experiences with them. That’s why I bought one when I decided to upgrade to the 76CSx. No regrets here. It locks on quickly, and the accuracy seems normal.

I just have to say that I have had my GPSMAP 60csx for 15 months and it has worked flawlessly: it is accurate, it doesn't bounce all over the place, and even the compass works very well. I purchased it to replace an etrex legend that had a flaky display. The only problem I have had out of my 60csx is when I fell on it while climbing some rocks today and shattered the lens. The unit still works well, by the way. I contacted Garmin and they are going to replace the lens for $75. I put it in the mail today. My worry now is that I won't get back the same unit.

I would recommend the 60csx to anyone.

Thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents!

Tool_Man

Make sure you haven't set it to the "Battery Saver" mode; this is often the problem when people suddenly start seeing large errors.

My 60CSx has also stopped acquiring satellites, it worked fine on Saturday then when Iwent to use it on Sunday (900 miles from home) there is nothing on the Satellites page just the rings. checked the software and I'm running 3.6 but the GPS SW Version lists 0.00. Ran the software updater and it wants to install GPS Chipset Type G. When I try to intalling it everything goes through all the motions. but when I check it still lists the GPS SW Version as 0.00. I have done a hard restart / reset and have run the SW updater about a dozen times. Pulled the MSD card and ran the updater, reformated the MSD card and ran the updater. Nothing seams to help.

HELP!

When I called Garmin this morning their wait time was 40 - 45 minutes. so that is out for right now.

**My current 60 Csx is weird. It bounces all over the place. When I'm walking (with track on) it on a sunny day with no trees, no buildings, open field if I walk a straight line, the track will be a zig-zag of angles. When I stop it will continue as if predicting where I would have gone.***

Mine started like that a few weeks ago....and sometimes the Bearing Pointer points the other way...even though the distance is decreasing as I walk.

Mine started like that a few weeks ago....and sometimes the Bearing Pointer points the other way...even though the distance is decreasing as I walk.

I had this issue also and I just recalibrated the compass and it was back to normal. Did you recently upgrade your unit to 3.60 firmware?

My 60CSx has also stopped acquiring satellites, it worked fine on Saturday then when Iwent to use it on Sunday (900 miles from home) there is nothing on the Satellites page just the rings. checked the software and I'm running 3.6 but the GPS SW Version lists 0.00. Ran the software updater and it wants to install GPS Chipset Type G. When I try to intalling it everything goes through all the motions. but when I check it still lists the GPS SW Version as 0.00. I have done a hard restart / reset and have run the SW updater about a dozen times. Pulled the MSD card and ran the updater, reformated the MSD card and ran the updater. Nothing seams to help.

HELP!

When I called Garmin this morning their wait time was 40 - 45 minutes. so that is out for right now.

After you've installed the newer Chipset (ie the normal software) it should come up with another screen saying it will now check for additional software (or something like that). It is that EXTRA software that covers the GPS and which you need to install.

Good luck.

My arrow was all over the place this morning, but as soon as I had recalibrated the compass, it worked perfectly again.

HELP!

After you've installed the newer Chipset (ie the normal software) it should come up with another screen saying it will now check for additional software (or something like that). It is that EXTRA software that covers the GPS and which you need to install.

Good luck.

My arrow was all over the place this morning, but as soon as I had recalibrated the compass, it worked perfectly again.

I tried it all, I finally broke down and sat on hold for 20 minutes and talked to Garmin. The 3+ year old 60CSx is going back for repair and the rep. put in in under warranty.

The rep also pointed me to a site www.gpsinformation.net that has the chipset software that can be downloaded directly instead of through the webupdater. I found it interesting that Garmin doesn't have that software on thier site but could send me to a 3rd party site that does.

I had this issue also and I just recalibrated the compass and it was back to normal. Did you recently upgrade your unit to 3.60 firmware?

I always recalibrate the compass after changing batteries....and I've had 3.60 on it since is came out.

Maybe it is the heat in Dallas.

v2lek and The Hamian Explorers...

I love you guys! I spent the whole day trying to get my 60csx back on track; couldn't sleep on it. Posts # 9 and 10 hit the button on the subject matter.

Seriously, this post was most helpful. Thank you.

Now... I want to get the Oregon 300 or 400t. I like how they display the geocache hints and info.

"Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx acquiring satellites"