Mobile Notifications?

tjamez22

Well I just signed up for the Geocaching Premium Member, for the entire reason that I thought I'd be able to set up Mobile Notifications of new caches etc to my Virgin Mobile cell phone.

I read on some geocache's page that "mobiles flipped open" upon alert of a new cache, and I thought I read it somewhere on the Premium features page.

Can I set this up? Or am I let down? :santa: Haste in response would be much appreciated. Thanks :D

Well I just signed up for the Geocaching Premium Member, for the entire reason that I thought I'd be able to set up Mobile Notifications of new caches etc to my Virgin Mobile cell phone.

I read on some geocache's page that "mobiles flipped open" upon alert of a new cache, and I thought I read it somewhere on the Premium features page.

Can I set this up? Or am I let down? :santa: Haste in response would be much appreciated. Thanks :D

What you are looking for is here. You can set it to go to your standard email or to one for your cell phone. It does not "text' message the information. It is sent as an email.

You'll need to find your phone's SMS/MMS email address. I found this googling, so I'm not sure if it's correct, but it will give you the right idea. Note that you may have to find the MMS address, I think the ones below are all SMS and you'll end up getting multiple messages for notifications possibly if you don't use MMS.

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net

Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com

Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com

Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com

Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number

Then you will have to phone a friend, if your phone does not have web page access, to read them the http link to the various caches youve been notified about. Notification emails do have the GC name in addition to the impossible to not get an error verbalizing a 32 bit GUID number. Well actually I'm talking about what that email format looked like about 6 months ago, I'm not sure if it's different as I have seen some posts about email formatting problems.

Point here is, be able to go to a web page from your phone if you really want this feature. Or be close to a computer. Or have a PDA on you that has internet access (WI-FI if you are close to civilization) or other ways if you are not.

I use this and it converts my emails to text and sends them to my phone and it is free. It is also nice that I have unlimited text so it cost me nothing extra on both ends. It has worked really well so far.

TeleFlip

I hope it helps you out.

I used teleflip as well until I realized that if I used the MMS messages to my phone rather than the SMS. This let me get around the text limitations. With Verizon this email is mobilenumber@vzwpix.com (SMS is mobilenumber@vtext.com)

With teleflip, I had to get three messages to make the information useful, not a big deal if you are limited to SMS. Now I only get the one and, with a web enabled phone (I use a 700P) I just click on the link to go look at the details if it is close enough.

I just did a quick search and found this site that gave these addresses;

Alltel = xxxxxxxxxx@message.alltel.com

AT&T = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net

Boost Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@myboostmobile.com

Cingular (AT&T) = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.mycingular.com

Einstein PCS = xxxxxxxxxx@einsteinmms.com

Sprint = xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com

T-Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net

US Cellular = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.uscc.net

Verizon Wireless = xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com

Virgin Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@vmobl.com

I know it is a workaround, but until shorten messages are addressed, either this or teleflip are the most logical alternatives.

I used teleflip as well until I realized that if I used the MMS messages to my phone rather than the SMS. This let me get around the text limitations. With Verizon this email is mobilenumber@vzwpix.com (SMS is mobilenumber@vtext.com)

But I think that this MMS picture message cost money, versus the SMS short text message does not? I will check to see if that is true with a few experiments.

I use this and it converts my emails to text and sends them to my phone and it is free. It is also nice that I have unlimited text so it cost me nothing extra on both ends. It has worked really well so far.

TeleFlip

I hope it helps you out.

I used www.ipipi.com as a service. But that costs money. I like FREE, though I might not get my moneys worth.

I tried mobilenumber@vzwpix.com and it failed. Most likely due to the fact that my phone does not have a camera (most do). This I can not send the large emails to my phone, only the small emails. mobilenumber@vtext.com works fine for my verizon WM5 phone.

It would be great if someone created a PARSER tool for emails of any kind, to convert to an SMS message what we specifically want to see in an incoming message. Then we could modify the parsing function specifically for GEOCACHING.COM to cut out only what we need and send it on via SMS message.

You can send a message to CHACHA at 242242 and ask that the coordinates for the ten closest geocaches be sent to you. CHACHA is a free human powered search service.

Also google.com has a SMS option for searches. Not sure how to format a SMS google search (number 46645) to pull coordinates through. Someone want to experiment?

Edited by Ellteejak

I just did a quick search and found this site that gave these addresses;

Alltel = xxxxxxxxxx@message.alltel.com

AT&T = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net

Boost Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@myboostmobile.com

Cingular (AT&T) = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.mycingular.com

Einstein PCS = xxxxxxxxxx@einsteinmms.com

Sprint = xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com

T-Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net

US Cellular = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.uscc.net

Verizon Wireless = xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com

Virgin Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@vmobl.com

I know it is a workaround, but until shorten messages are addressed, either this or teleflip are the most logical alternatives.

FYI - The US Cellular doesn't work by default...so, either it's wrong or most likely you have to pay for the feature.

I know I have to pay a small monthly fee to receive e-mail messages to my phone with them and that format is xxxxxxxxxx@email.uscc.net for that format.

But I think that this MMS picture message cost money, versus the SMS short text message does not? I will check to see if that is true with a few experiments.

I can only speak for verizon and if you have the unlimited texting (think it is $5 or $10) you can text to anyone and recieve from anyone both SMS and MMS for no additional charges. Other than that, it would be the same charges as an SMS message.

[

I can only speak for verizon and if you have the unlimited texting (think it is $5 or $10) you can text to anyone and recieve from anyone both SMS and MMS for no additional charges. Other than that, it would be the same charges as an SMS message.

I have unlimited texting option with Verizon. I have a WM5 Phone. But I can not recieve MMS messages via the address "mobile@vzwpix.com" that was mentioned. How do you get an MMS message sent to you? Are you using this above address?

Edited by Ellteejak

I have unlimited texting option with Verizon. I have a WM5 Phone. But I can not recieve MMS messages via the address "mobile@vzwpix.com" that was mentioned. How do you get an MMS message sent to you? Are you using this above address?

Yes, this is how I get my notifies from GC now. Before they were just to truncated to be of any use.

Don't take offense to this, but are you sending it to "mobile@vzwpix.com" or xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com? The "x"'s being your actual number? Is your phone capable of receiving pix? Not sure if the latter is necessary since I have sent MMS type messages from my computer to a friend who can not receive pix (I now use the MMS addy as the default) and she has received them. Her phone is a VERY old one too.

You might have a phone that is not capable I guess, but I did not think Verizon even offered these any more. Check with them and/or you could upgrade phones. Even the free ones now have some pretty good features.

Yes, this is how I get my notifies from GC now. Before they were just to truncated to be of any use.

Don't take offense to this, but are you sending it to "mobile@vzwpix.com" or xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com? The "x"'s being your actual number? Is your phone capable of receiving pix? Not sure if the latter is necessary since I have sent MMS type messages from my computer to a friend who can not receive pix (I now use the MMS addy as the default) and she has received them. Her phone is a VERY old one too.

You might have a phone that is not capable I guess, but I did not think Verizon even offered these any more. Check with them and/or you could upgrade phones. Even the free ones now have some pretty good features.

yes i do not have MMS on my phone. It is the Samsung sch-i730 that runs WM5 but has no MMS. Kind of weird.

Found something interesting about Verizon.

1) I can install an application called EMOZE that activates a "push" email service with your GMAIL account. Works nice.

2) I have DATA BLOCK on my Verizon cellphone, but if I want to still use internet applications (like EMOZE is) I can activate a slow connection via the QUICK2NET function on my phone. Effectively this is free internet (I am not kidding). Just a slower 14.4 modem speed connection. Great for push-email from your gmail account (that is recieving geocache messages about new caches).

EMOZE is set up to push email once every hour. Seems to work.

IMAP email retrieval (like POP) works great via the free Verizon QUICK2NET service (well you need a Verizon smartphone).

Effectively free full email from Verizon. I have a DATA BLOCK on my phone and I still get this. Works fine every time I have tested it.

If you have a automatic email sync tool (like phoneAlarm can do) then you are set to get all your email updates every hour for free.

I bought a used samsung I730 for around $100 and I have not looked back.

*** Forget about using EMOZE as it seems it is not needed.

Edited by Ellteejak