yet another question for garmin users mapsource

lkrus

ok i have the etrex venture hc and it came with the mapsource trip and waypoint manager cd i installed it on to my pc and noticed it had roads on there that my basemap on the gps unit doesnt have,.....i have watched the tutorial from garmin ( http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/ ) on how to put maps on the unit but there method doesnt work for me i can not highlight any area on the map can you help i have Mapsource ver 6.13.4

For the Venture HC, the mapping software you need is MetroGuide. It normally runs about $85. You can get an older version for $70 or less on eBay. I wouldn't get anything below v7.

What you can try and do is create tracks on MapSource outlining/tracing the maps and downloading the tracks into your Venture. It's kinda crude but effective.

I can take maps from my mapsource and load it to my garmin 60csx. It's been awhile since I have had to do it, but read into it again. I'm sure you just did something wrong. The only bad thing about that mapsource is that it is a old map and alot of the new roads don't show up but I still use it.

I can take maps from my mapsource and load it to my garmin 60csx. It's been awhile since I have had to do it, but read into it again. I'm sure you just did something wrong. The only bad thing about that mapsource is that it is a old map and alot of the new roads don't show up but I still use it.

I also have maps loaded into my 60CX from Mapsource. In fact those are the only maps I have used since I bought the unit a few years ago. I do a lot of motorcycle touring and have had no problems. I just now started Geocaching and have had great results. As stated above, you must be doing something wrong.

I have a 60csx with City navigator, topo 2008 and the base maps waypoint manager v4. With the first two programs I am able to utilize the map tool icon to cover an area I want to add to my garmin, its the icon right next to the magnifying glass icon.

But in the waypoint manager I can't highlight or modify my maps at all because this is a waypoint "managing" program. Your unit should have some type of base mapping software installed onto it. You can move waypoints or geocaches from the manager to your gps and vica versa. If you want greater detailed maps than I think you need to purchase some type of mapping software.

I spoke to Garmin tech support befor I bought my unit to find out exactly what it can do and what I planned to do and they recommended what software I would need and even suggested purchasing from Amazon at a cheaper price.

Good luck

ok i have the etrex venture hc and it came with the mapsource trip and waypoint manager cd i installed it on to my pc and noticed it had roads on there that my basemap on the gps unit doesnt have,.....i have watched the tutorial from garmin ( http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/ ) on how to put maps on the unit but there method doesnt work for me i can not highlight any area on the map can you help i have Mapsource ver 6.13.4

I have a Garmin Vista and found the same. The Trip & Waypoint comes with the unit, but does not expand the base maps. As another poster noted, you have to buy either the Mapsource TOPO or NT City Navigator. Mine is now on the way, but I have found (with very limited experince) that the GPS along with the Google map works well for many caches, until you can spring for the other software.

I used my GPSr without City Navigator for almost a year. I got an idea where the cache was located from Google/Yahoo/Mapquest then I just followed the bearing needle of my Legend CX once I got close to the area. Oddly enough, that really taught me how the GPSr works.

I was given City Navigator for my Christmas present last year. At the time, Amazon had the lowest price for the DVD. Then Garmin sent email about the 2008 version available at a discounted price. For all the fun I have geocaching and Waymarking, I sprung for the upgrade and am not disappointed. I also upgraded the micro SD card up to 1 gig buying the chip on sale at Micro Center. You don't have to buy your SD micro thru Garmin. Right now I have Colorado and Wyoming on my GPSr (City Navigator 2008) and I remember that is about 36 MBs. Someone (?) in one of the forums said to load all of the City Navigator (entire US) would be under 2 gig (but I am not sure of the accuracy of that statement).

So, what I am trying to say is that you don't really need the City Navigator or Topo (whichever best suits you needs), but it is really nice once you have the software.

BUT, the automatic navigation feature for geocaching will try to take you as close to the cache as possible. A few times the navigation had me stopping on the side of a 6 lane highway, Uh, no! Well, the cache was in the tunnel on the bike path that went under the highway! So you still have to be aware of the way to get to a cache. Really kind cachers will put parking coords in the cache description for parking area.

Take care,

Outspoken1