Anybody ever hide valuables..

team lagonda

Would be a great way to hide/save stuff..go to the middle of the woods somwhere where everything looks the same ''no landmarks'' and bury what you got to hide and only you have the coords....probly better than mellon bank....

It rather depends on what you're hiding.

In any case, I don't think it would be a great idea to go into the middle of someone else's woods or in the middle of U.S. Government woods and start digging to bury things. That sounds like a good way to get arrested for trespassing or vandalism, get shot, have your stuff get lost, or some combination of the above.

If you own some wooded land and you think your stuff would be safer under ground subjected to rain, heat, freezing, critters, dry rot, etc. than if would he in a nice, clean, secure safe deposit box or storage locker, then go crazy-go-nuts.

Be honest, though: who did you kill?

And what's a "mellon bank"?

32,,dont recall that thread..a well hide cache with no landmarks shouldnt be muggled..and with you the only one having the coords....

post #14

We often hear of desperate cases like this..one must learn to put up with the misfortunes of this world and endevor to carry on,even if the said cache is never found..most people learn to manage and after a while even place a new cache .. so be brave and open your eyes to the new scene thats opening up befor us....

Kind of tongue in cheek, but, still...

:D

x marks the spot..thats exactly my point ''whats a mellon bank?''..here today,gone tomorrow..best hide some stuff on your own....

"Here today, gone tomorrow" sounds more like what will happen to your stuff if you go bury it in the woods. Making things "secure" by burying them in the woods only really works if you're in a movie. But the next time a rogue CIA agent is chasing you trying to recover some important documents while your love interest is being held hostage by the KGB, go ahead and give the bury-stuff-in-the-woods thing a try.

While you're entertaining this delusion that your safe deposit box will disappear into thin air if the bank collapses, you may also want to look into who the third shooter on the grassy knoll was, where Hitter's brain is being stored, and why the alien bodies the government has recovered are being kept secret.

And I wouldn't try to hide valuables with Haliburton either, since it isn't a bank.

Well, to get back on topic, and to try to address the OP's original question seriously, here goes with my effort:

We all know, if only from reading history books and tales of buried and since-recovered treasures (large and small) that people have been hiding/burying valuables in wilderness and near-wilderness areas for a very long time, and, in the better thought-out efforts, with reasonable success. In fact, we know from the public record (including tales from treasure-hunting books and websites) that a good number of these older buried treasures have survived, reasonably intact, for hundreds of years at times. We also know that a good number of folks even nowadays continue to hide valuables in remote areas, given the relatively constant but rather low rate of tales which appear in the popular media about such things.

Of course, as some of the other posters have pointed out, if you were to want to hide valuables in the wilderness nowadays, given the furious rate of land development in many of the Westernized countries, you will need to pick your spots somewhat more carefully than in the past, choosing only spots which are likely to remain immune for some time to muggle activity and immune to development efforts involving earth-moving equipment (bulldozers, etc.) And, you will want to be VERY wary of using any kind of metal boxes or components, as it is a fact of life that amateur treasure-hunters and artifact-hunters regularly sweep many county, state and federal parks and wilderness areas with metal detectors, looking for any hidden metal objects.

If wasn't until after I got my first gps that I realised one of the most frustrating conundrums regarding motorbiking was solved. Now when we ride to a bushwalking spot we can put our helmets and jackets inside a big black garbage bag and hide it somewhere nearby, yet difficult to stumble upon.

A friend of mine who runs a fence company in WV has buried tens of thousnads of dollars under some of the fenceposts on his land (about 20 acres). Some have thousands in them, some just chump change. If he ever needs it, he knows where the good ones are. But his plan is to watch the melee and madness from heaven as his kids tear up his property the day after he dies.... :back:

A friend of mine who runs a fence company in WV has buried tens of thousnads of dollars under some of the fenceposts on his land (about 20 acres). Some have thousands in them, some just chump change. If he ever needs it, he knows where the good ones are. But his plan is to watch the melee and madness from heaven as his kids tear up his property the day after he dies.... :rolleyes:

That's Brilliant!!!! :(

We buried a time capsule in high school in the early 80's, wonder what ever became of it. Hmmmm.