Tecolote "Puzzle" Canyon

ThePolarBear

The validation coordinates for #19 are incorrect. Latitude should be smaller by .001 minutes.

ETA: Never mind. I am going blind.

Too much of this cache series has been known to cause blindness. And hairy palms. :laughing:

Wow! I'd forgotten about these! This might be a better time of year to attempt them, with the PO somewhat less rampant. Are we allowed to ask for hints now, Patrick?

You bet! :laughing:

It was always possible to ask for hints. Actually getting hints, on the other hand, was not so easy... :blink::laughing:;)

The validation coordinates for #19 are incorrect. Latitude should be smaller by .001 minutes.

ETA: Never mind. I am going blind.

Too much of this cache series has been known to cause blindness. And hairy palms. :laughing:

Wow! I'd forgotten about these! This might be a better time of year to attempt them, with the PO somewhat less rampant. Are we allowed to ask for hints now, Patrick?

You bet! :laughing:

It was always possible to ask for hints. Actually getting hints, on the other hand, was not so easy... :blink::laughing:;)

Oh well! Mr. Negative... :laughing:

Oh well! Mr. Negative... ;)

Mr. Negative, that's me! :blink:

This might be a better time of year to attempt them, with the PO somewhat less rampant.

Speaking of being negative...

...just because you can't see the PO doesn't mean it can't get you. PO twigs, when they've dropped their leaves for the winter are very hard to recognize and yet, they are just loaded with urushiol. It's very easy to go through a thicket of PO without realizing it.

I speak from experience. You see, a couple of years ago, right around this time, there was a big puzzle series released by some guy (I can't remember who it was, but his caching name was an arctic creature: NorthernWalrus or PolarNarwhal or something like that...)

Anyway, in pursuit of one or more of the caches in this series, I got a nasty dose of PO that covered my entire body. My leg swelled up so badly that I had to go to Urgent Care. I went through three re-occurrences of the rash before I finally shook it off. And I never saw the PO that got me. I know the day, I know which of the series that I was searching for, but I do not know where it was that I ran into the PO.

So, if you do search for these caches (or any caches in areas where PO is common e.g. Tecolote Canyon, Marion Bear Park, Penasquitos Canyon, etc. ) do not become complacent just because the PO is "less rampant" this time of year. If anything, you are more likely to have a nasty encounter because, without its leaves, you might not see it coming...

Oh well! Mr. Negative... ;)

Mr. Negative, that's me! :blink:

This might be a better time of year to attempt them, with the PO somewhat less rampant.

...just because you can't see the PO doesn't mean it can't get you. PO twigs, when they've dropped their leaves for the winter are very hard to recognize and yet, they are just loaded with urushiol. It's very easy to go through a thicket of PO without realizing it.

I speak from experience. You see, a couple of years ago, right around this time, there was a big puzzle series released by some guy (I can't remember who it was, but his caching name was an arctic creature: NorthernWalrus or PolarNarwhal or something like that...)

Anyway, in pursuit of one or more of the caches in this series, I got a nasty dose of PO that covered my entire body. My leg swelled up so badly that I had to go to Urgent Care. I went through three re-occurrences of the rash before I finally shook it off. And I never saw the PO that got me. I know the day, I know which of the series that I was searching for, but I do not know where it was that I ran into the PO.

So, if you do search for these caches (or any caches in areas where PO is common e.g. Tecolote Canyon, Marion Bear Park, Penasquitos Canyon, etc. ) do not become complacent just because the PO is "less rampant" this time of year. If anything, you are more likely to have a nasty encounter because, without its leaves, you might not see it coming...

I have seen the PO in full color in Tecolote Canyon! I would only go back in a full Hazmat outfit...

Oh well! Mr. Negative... :laughing:

Mr. Negative, that's me! :laughing:

Uh-oh! I know coming in contact with the stems is just as bad, and possibly worse than dealing with the plant in its full leafy glory, as you can't tell what is PO and what isn't. (Well, I can't!) Maybe I'll have to reconsider my previous post, especially in view of fact that I'm much closer to the ground than LLOT, and likely to make much more contact than him! Sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience, James! :blink:

I think it would be awfully nice if Patrick would check on his caches and take a machete along with him to clear a path. ;) Then I bet they'd get a lot more visits! :laughing:

<snip>It's very easy to go through a thicket of PO without realizing it.</snip>

Following the arrow is a surefire way to get PO in Tecolote Canyon. Most of my hides are off trails or in areas where PO does not grow. If you stay on trails as much as possible and wear long pants you should be safe. I hid the caches wearing shorts and a t-shirt and I only got a little PO on my calf.

Following the arrow is a surefire way to get PO in Tecolote Canyon. Most of my hides are off trails or in areas where PO does not grow. If you stay on trails as much as possible and wear long pants you should be safe. I hid the caches wearing shorts and a t-shirt and I only got a little PO on my calf.

]

Hurray for PO!!!!

Following the arrow is a surefire way to get PO in Tecolote Canyon.

Oh, sure. Now you tell me...

Sorry... Thought it was common knowledge. :)

Hey LLOT! Why not post the pictures of your PO again as a reminder for those who take PO lightly...

It seems to me that this discussion is missing a very important point ...

that there's nothing better than seeing somebody else suffer.

Yes, those bare little whippy-switches that poke up from the ground are a

menace. My encounter happened in Secret Canyon near Pine Valley and

I knew better. Crossed the streambed from one side of the canyon to the

other and realized along the way that I was walking through a thicket of

the upright, bare poison-oak stems ... one of which caught me looking the

other way and brushed me on the bony-bump just above my right wrist.

The rash turned out to include some sort of flesh-eating bacteria or fungus

that set about eating the skin away from my arm just above the wrist.*

Treatment grew from one to a team of five dermatologists that spent

months trying to figure out what sort of thing, bacteria or fungus, was

eating me alive. They had a lot of fun slicing samples off of me for lab test

and prescribing a range of what must have been experimental medications

that needed special releases at the pharmacy and, in the end, were priced

at $770.00 for a dozen capsules but authorized for medical-plan coverage.

When the fifth and most senior dermatologist joined the team he put his hand

on my shoulder and said "Don't worry, Mr. Harris, we'll figure this out." My

immediate thought was "I'm screwed!" As it turned out the potent concoction

that I last received did the trick but now there's a large area just above my

right wrist that has the scarred appearance that one might think was caused

by a severe burn. On hot days during strenuous hikes it takes on a horrid

appearance but if I don't look at it then it only bothers other people that are

dumb enough to stare at it. (Elephant Man - "I'm a human being!")

The good news is that I'm so old and so generally ugly that a scarred patch

of skin above my right wrist is nothing more that an embellishment. I

suppose that I could be encouraged to post a photo of the injured area if

you really want to see it in full bloom; however, you'll have to wait until

August 2010 so's I can photograph it to best effect.

So now I restate my premise that "... there's nothing better than seeing

somebody else suffer." Surely you get my point.

The tricky part is that basket bush looks very-like Poison Oak only without

the central-leaf petiole. Oddly enough they often grown together and even

comingle as can be seen along trails of Horsethief Canyon. Basket bush

isn't harmful to skin and is the source of some claims of people that say

that they are immune to Poison Oak. (Haven't had a good dose yet!)

By the way, if you are the type that likes to one-up the experiences of others

then here's a tip for you ... Secret Canyon near Pine Valley is the only location

I know of in our county that offers growths of Poison Sumac. Look along the

streambed for large, bushy growths that have dark purple leaves-of-three,

and a central leaf petiole. My compliments.

* Forgot to work in the word "pus."

Edited by SD Rowdies
On 11/15/2014 at 6:05 PM, cindy&randy said:

This is an old thread, but a newly discovered geo-puzzle for me.

I would like to ask a direct question about Teco#19 Riddle 4. If anyone cares to comment on the answers I tried, please contact me.

Thanks.

Ha-ha! I've just encountered the same problem with 19/4: the entirely obvious answer doesn't work. So I found this thread hoping for a solution, but all I found is the same question posted 4 years ago.