Garmin Gift Question

G & E

I have an older 60C that is showing its age. For Christmas I was surprised to receive a 60CSx and one gig of memory. Finally I won't need to be so careful as to how much memory a map uses. The problem is, the 60 series has been out for a long time and is due for a replacement or upgrade. They came out with the 60Cx shortly after I bought my 60C and I wonder if it might happen again. The 60 series are nice but after such a long wait, Garmin must have something really nice to replace or upgrade it.

Has anybody heard of a new product like that from Garmin?

What would you do; keep the new Garmin 60CSx or return it and wait for something really new to hit the shelves?

I have an older 60C that is showing its age. For Christmas I was surprised to receive a 60CSx and one gig of memory. Finally I won't need to be so careful as to how much memory a map uses. The problem is, the 60 series has been out for a long time and is due for a replacement or upgrade. They came out with the 60Cx shortly after I bought my 60C and I wonder if it might happen again. The 60 series are nice but after such a long wait, Garmin must have something really nice to replace or upgrade it.

What would you do; keep the new Garmin 60CSx or return it and wait for something really new to hit the shelves?

Garmin Colorado. Not much info, but it looks interesting.

Garmin Colorado. Not much info, but it looks interesting.

Garmin has been offering a $50 rebate on the 60C series which seems like a hint they are trying to more a lot of inventory for something to replace it in 2008.

I can certainly appreciate your situation.

But the 60CSx is such a great unit; I wouldn’t worry about might happen in the future, or kick myself around if something better did come along.

I used to second doubt myself with most decisions like this, and indeed kick myself when a better model popped up. But not anymore. I either like what I have or I don’t.

PP

Definitely send it back and wait. It's obvious that there will be a replacement for the 60 series because after the eTrex line introduced the Media Tek chipset which completely nullified the (formerly) superior SiRFSTAR III, one needed to take other factors into consideration.

For example if you aren't getting any better reception why would you want such a bulky unit. If the screen resolution and brightness of the 60CSx is poor compared to the etrex, what's the point of a slightly bigger screen.

Maybe you should pop into a store and play around with a Vista HCx, you might be surprised.

Definitely send it back and wait. It's obvious that there will be a replacement for the 60 series because after the eTrex line introduced the Media Tek chipset which completely nullified the (formerly) superior SiRFSTAR III, one needed to take other factors into consideration.

For example if you aren't getting any better reception why would you want such a bulky unit. If the screen resolution and brightness of the 60CSx is poor compared to the etrex, what's the point of a slightly bigger screen.

Maybe you should pop into a store and play around with a Vista HCx, you might be surprised.

I appreciate the point but for clarification, the 60Cx series has a different receiver so it is quite a bit more accurate than the original 60C. I know this not only from the specs, but also from a couple of years of caching with people who use the 60Cx.