My Garmin 76CS Plus won't talk to my Raymarine!

I can't seem to get my new (Christmas gift) Garmin 76CS Plus gps to (Interface) send lat. or long. to my new Raymarine DS 500 X fish finder. On their own, they both work perfect, but I am at my witts end and I need some help. I have read both owner's manuals from cover to cover and it seems to be so easy to make the gps send text to the fishfinder. I have hooked everything up the right way ( I Think), I set the gps to send NMEA text and the fishfinder to receive NMEA in. The Garmin gps only has four wires out of the power/data cable ........... {Red=Power} {Black=Ground} {Brown= Serial Data Out} {White=Serial Data In}.......... The Raymarine fishfinder has alot more wires, Seven to be exact..........{Red=Power} {Black=Ground} {White=NMEA Input+} {Green=NEMA Input -} {Yellow=NEMA Output+} {Brown= NEMA Output -} {Grey=CGND}. I used the {Brown, Serial Data Out} wire on the gps and hooked it to the {White, NMEA Input+} on the fishfinder and nothing happend. Do anyone of you know what I'm talking about? I need some interfacing help here. I will try to talk to Raymarine after the holidays if I still need to, but they are vacation till Jan. 2nd.

I can't seem to get my new (Christmas gift) Garmin 76CS Plus gps to (Interface) send lat. or long. to my new Raymarine DS 500 X fish finder. On their own, they both work perfect, but I am at my witts end and I need some help. I have read both owner's manuals from cover to cover and it seems to be so easy to make the gps send text to the fishfinder. I have hooked everything up the right way ( I Think), I set the gps to send NMEA text and the fishfinder to receive NMEA in. The Garmin gps only has four wires out of the power/data cable ........... {Red=Power} {Black=Ground} {Brown= Serial Data Out} {White=Serial Data In}.......... The Raymarine fishfinder has alot more wires, Seven to be exact..........{Red=Power} {Black=Ground} {White=NMEA Input+} {Green=NEMA Input -} {Yellow=NEMA Output+} {Brown= NEMA Output -} {Grey=CGND}. I used the {Brown, Serial Data Out} wire on the gps and hooked it to the {White, NMEA Input+} on the fishfinder and nothing happend. Do anyone of you know what I'm talking about? I need some interfacing help here. I will try to talk to Raymarine after the holidays if I still need to, but they are vacation till Jan. 2nd.

I'm gonn'a try and keep this post near the top so it can be read, I know it's Christmas day and alot of you aren't online, but if it stay's near the top maybe someone will know what I can do.

Make sure they have a common ground return. Looks like black in your case on both units. Are they both powered from the same power source? Even if not (battery on the GPS receiver, for example), you need to have a common ground level reference (black wires).

They are both powered from the same battery (12volt marine). I have the red wires(+) on both units hooked up to a 4 rocker panel on the dash of my boat, they each have their own switch and fuse, but they both get their power from the same battery. As far as the grounds go.........I took the black wire from the fishfinder and hooked it right up to neg. (-) side of the battery. I took the black wire from the gps and hooked it up to a common grounding (bus) strip that shares a few grounds with some other stuff hooked up on the boat..i.e......am/fm stereo, VHF, etc. The ground strip I use is also hooked up to the neg.(-) side of the same battery that the fishfinder is hooked up to. Is this wrong? Do you mean that both the fishfinder and gps grounds should be hooked together then hooked up to the neg.(-) side of the battery, or the common grounding strip that I use for everything else? I'm not sure what you mean when you say ground return? What are they returning from? Each other?

The Garmin interface is the older standard with the signals relative to a common ground, the fish finder the newer standard with differential signalling.

For Garmin to the Fish Finder, connect Serial Out (brown) to NMEA In+ (white) and Ground (black) to NMEA In- (green)

For Fish Finder to Garmin, connect NMEA Out+ (yellow) to Serial In (white), do *not* connect the NMEA Out- (brown) - leave it floating and instead connect Common Ground (grey) to Ground (black).

The Garmin interface is the older standard with the signals relative to a common ground, the fish finder the newer standard with differential signalling.

For Garmin to the Fish Finder, connect Serial Out (brown) to NMEA In+ (white) and Ground (black) to NMEA In- (green)

For Fish Finder to Garmin, connect NMEA Out+ (yellow) to Serial In (white), do *not* connect the NMEA Out- (brown) - leave it floating and instead connect Common Ground (grey) to Ground (black).

Frabble............You are wise beyond your years! I tried what you said and.......... IT WORKED! brown-white, black-green, you really made my day! Thank You! I had just spoken with my salesman from West Marine on my lunch break at work today and he said a Garmin tech. told him that the gps would NOT interface with the fishfinder, and that I needed to come in and buy a new Garmin fishfinder so they could talk to each other. I won't be shopping at that store anymore LOL! Thank's again for your help, and have a happy new year.