What's the best choice now for around $300.

carolnbarney

I"ve been on this board before, but finances kept me from being able to go beyond wishing if you know what I mean.

But Ol' Santa brought me a GPS this year in the form of cash to go shopping with. Good man that Santa!!!

I now have $300 to shop with and want to know what everybody's suggestions are now.

Color, external antenna, etc.

Man oh man..... I'm really going to get to do this now. And just in time for my retirement next week.

Thanks folks.

You can definitely get a Garmin CSX 60 for less than $300.00 on Ebay!

This is true, in fact I bought one for $280 recently, however you can get an eTrex Vista HCx for $210 which leaves plenty of change for some decent mapping. And the Vista is a better unit than the 60CSx which is unnecessarily bulky with badly designed buttons and a very dull screen.

I also vote for the Vista HCx :rolleyes: (or the Legend HCx). Then, you'll have to add a little extra money to what you have left over to get the City Navigator maps so you can take advantage of the auto-routing ability of that GPS unit. Later you can get Topo maps. Those you can find for less money on eBay.

I"ve been on this board before, but finances kept me from being able to go beyond wishing if you know what I mean.

But Ol' Santa brought me a GPS this year in the form of cash to go shopping with. Good man that Santa!!!

I now have $300 to shop with and want to know what everybody's suggestions are now.

What are your intended uses (all of them, dig deep)?

And the Vista is a better unit than the 60CSx which is unnecessarily bulky with badly designed buttons and a very dull screen.

I don't think there is any community consensus that one is better than the other. If the OP really does want an external antenna option AFAIK that immediately rules out any of the eTrex line, including the Vista HCx.

I have owned a Vista-formfactor GPSr and a a 60-formfactor GPSr. I greatly prefer the buttons and other aspects of the 60.

Do I like it $90 better than the Vista HCx? I don't know about that. That's a lot of money. The HCx was not available when I bought my 60cx, but I use the 60cx and daily and think I got good value for my hard-earned $$$.

@'fratermus

I'm really curious how the 'rocker' and 'enter' buttons are used in the real world. For example when entering addresses, do you use a digit of one hand to operate the 'rocker' and a digit on the other hand to operate the 'enter' button, or do you support the unit more firmly in your left hand and use a single digit on the other hand to operate both the 'rocker' and the 'enter' button?

And the Vista is a better unit than the 60CSx which is unnecessarily bulky with badly designed buttons and a very dull screen.

I don't think there is any community consensus that one is better than the other. If the OP really does want an external antenna option AFAIK that immediately rules out any of the eTrex line, including the Vista HCx.

I have owned a Vista-formfactor GPSr and a a 60-formfactor GPSr. I greatly prefer the buttons and other aspects of the 60.

<snip>

I agree there is no "community consensus" about which one is better. In contrast to fratermus, I greatly prefer the click-stick navigation and "enter" functions on my Vista HCx, compared to all the buttons on the 60 series. I guess it is all what you get used to, but I also prefer the smaller size of the eTrex models . . . and with the new 'H' models, I don't know when someone will need an external antenna.

@'fratermus

I'm really curious how the 'rocker' and 'enter' buttons are used in the real world. For example when entering addresses, do you use a digit of one hand to operate the 'rocker' and a digit on the other hand to operate the 'enter' button, or do you support the unit more firmly in your left hand and use a single digit on the other hand to operate both the 'rocker' and the 'enter' button?

I operate the 60cx like a cellphone in the palm of my hand, operating the rocker and buttons with the thumb of whichever hand it's in.

I tend to preload addresses as waypoints because manual entry is time consuming on all mapping models I have used and not supported by non-mapping ForeTrex unit on the motorcycle. Of course If I'm already underway with a mapping unit and learn a new address I punch it in manually. The clickstick always felt rickety to me, like it could break/malfunction at any moment. I like the rocker pad on the 60 (and even on the old eMap I have stashed in the wife's car for emergency purposes).

My most common interaction with the 60cx is Find 2x, which brings up recently-used targets.

Is there a store where you can go and handle each of the models suggested here? Since you are going to use it mostly for Geocaching and Hunting/Fishing/Hiking, I would recommend the smaller eTrex models like the Legend HCx or Vista HCx. You can get one of those and the Topo maps and almost stay under the $300 amount you have to spend. :rolleyes:

I recently picked up a Vista HCX, & love it. There is a problem with the odometer, but as long as you arent crawling, I dont think it is a huge issue. I took it with me on a hike this past weekend & it kept a good record of my tracks, much better than my old Legend. I love it. I have not used a CX, I can only say that it was bigger than what I wanted. For $300 you can get an HCX, & a memory card.... And maybe last years topo maps.

I will have to toss another opinion in here. I have been using the 76 series for 5 years now and have upgraded several times. I have used it for work, driving, geocaching, and hunting and have found it to be very conveniant and easy to operate. The bottom line is it is all in what you get used to. I like the hookup for the external antenna and the fact that I can use the same mount for both my work and personal GPS. The 76csx is now running a little over $300. From what I have seen there is not much difference in the internals of the 60 and the 76, just the case.

Some things never change! LOL

I remember befoe when I was looking at GPS units, the more I looked the more confused I was as to what would be the best choice. This time is no better. It seems everyone has what they consider are good ideas for choosing what they have chosen and I feel sure they are all valid. But for a fellow like me that's going to be buying one for the first time and probably won't be buying another for a long time if ever it makes for a lot of indecision and hesitation as to what to buy. This thing is going to have to do the job for me for a long time and under a very broad set of conditions. So that means I've got to get the most bang for my buck and want to be "reasonable sure" that I will be able to operate under the broadest set of conditions and applications possible. ?????

For the most bang for the buck I would go with a Legend HCX, unless you really want the built in compass and barometer, then get the Vista HCX. I would then take the money you saved and buy maps for it. Along with a 1gb memory card this will cost you about $300.

Dollar for dollar you will get more than buying just a 60cx or 60csx but not have maps. You will love having the maps!

Edited by ICHTHYS

@'fratermus

When I had a Blue Legend, I would operate it with one hand, holding it and using the rocker with my thumb.

I operate the 60cx like a cellphone in the palm of my hand, operating the rocker and buttons with the thumb of whichever hand it's in.

I pointed out recently in a different thread how badly designed the buttons were on the 60CSx I mentioned that even though it has dedicated buttons it's in fact more work because when typing an address in one needs to scroll around the keyboard and press 'enter' at every letter. On the HCx this is a one thumb one hand operation however with the 60CSx the thumb needs to come off the rocker and on to the enter button and back to the rocker after every letter entry. A much more laborious process.

However I was told that these units are used with one thumb on the rocker and one on the 'enter' button, but when I tried that I realised it doesn't really work because the buttons are too close.

The worst thing about the rocker is that there is no tactile 'click' feedback like a normal micro switch. Because of this you need to press down on the rocker with more pressure to be sure you are pressing enough.

The eTrex rocker has been subtly evolving over the years and it appears to be pretty reliable although it does *seem* flimsy but in reality it isn't.

So barring the text entry which doesnt matter much to me, which one is the better of the two?

The 60CSx or the Vista HCx? I know there is a difference in price, but its only about $60.

If they were the same price which would you guys get? Would it matter what direction they were mounted, like on a bike? Seems the 60 has better low speed, though I see someone advertising the latest release of the HCx, that supposedly fixes all the bugs...but since Ive not read of it here, Im sceptical.

@'Lodogg2221

So barring the text entry which doesnt matter much to me, which one is the better of the two, The 60CSx or the Vista HCx?

"better" at what?

Signal reception under difficult circumstances: Equal (although the HCx might have the edge but if it does it's negligible.

Price: HCx is better.

If they were the same price which would you guys get?

I'd get the HCx.

Would it matter what direction they were mounted, like on a bike?

Not really, the quad helix 60CSx supposedly works better vertical and the HCx patch, horizontal. But in the real world it doesn't matter. The HCx works just as well upright and upside down as it does horizontal.

Seems the 60 has better low speed, though I see someone advertising the latest release of the HCx, that supposedly fixes all the bugs...but since Ive not read of it here, Im sceptical.

Remember that even though there is supposed to be some inaccuracy with the distance shown on the odometer, the downloaded track has the correct distance settings. To most people it is not an issue at all that the HCx cannot register a speed under 1 mph. This has not been fixed in the latest firmware 2.50

I agonised for months over whether to get an HCx or a 60CSx and while I thought the buttons on the 60CSx would be better and more comfortable I still figured that the HCx was better because it is so much more compact without losing anything for it. Do not underestimate how dull the 60CSx screen is. I was using one inside the house recently with the backlight on full an my hand was still casting a shadow on the backlit screen!

After I got my HCx I still used to wonder how much better the buttons would be on the 60CSx and if I made the right decision. I only had a small doubt but a doubt nevertheless. A couple of months later I had the opportunity to use a 60CSx and I almost laughed out loud when I realised that the buttons were not better and easier to use, in fact they were worse. Which removed any doubt.

I keep picking up the 60CSx and try to use it but the more I use it the worse it seems. I have no doubt that the next generation 60CSx (whatever it will be called) will have improved buttons and a better screen.

@'Lodogg2221

So barring the text entry which doesnt matter much to me, which one is the better of the two, The 60CSx or the Vista HCx?

"better" at what?

Signal reception under difficult circumstances: Equal (although the HCx might have the edge but if it does it's negligible.

Price: HCx is better.

If they were the same price which would you guys get?

I'd get the HCx.

Would it matter what direction they were mounted, like on a bike?

Not really, the quad helix 60CSx supposedly works better vertical and the HCx patch, horizontal. But in the real world it doesn't matter. The HCx works just as well upright and upside down as it does horizontal.

Seems the 60 has better low speed, though I see someone advertising the latest release of the HCx, that supposedly fixes all the bugs...but since Ive not read of it here, Im sceptical.

Remember that even though there is supposed to be some inaccuracy with the distance shown on the odometer, the downloaded track has the correct distance settings. To most people it is not an issue at all that the HCx cannot register a speed under 1 mph. This has not been fixed in the latest firmware 2.50

I agonised for months over whether to get an HCx or a 60CSx and while I thought the buttons on the 60CSx would be better and more comfortable I still figured that the HCx was better because it is so much more compact without losing anything for it. Do not underestimate how dull the 60CSx screen is. I was using one inside the house recently with the backlight on full an my hand was still casting a shadow on the backlit screen!

After I got my HCx I still used to wonder how much better the buttons would be on the 60CSx and if I made the right decision. I only had a small doubt but a doubt nevertheless. A couple of months later I had the opportunity to use a 60CSx and I almost laughed out loud when I realised that the buttons were not better and easier to use, in fact they were worse. Which removed any doubt.

I keep picking up the 60CSx and try to use it but the more I use it the worse it seems. I have no doubt that the next generation 60CSx (whatever it will be called) will have improved buttons and a better screen.

Thanks, thats kind of what I was looking for. It seems hard to find anyone who was looking at the same two I was, or at least that spoke up about it, and why they chose...

I am leaning seriously toward the HCx, since I can get maps too for the cost of the 60...

I guess no matter what I get, or how long I wait, in a few months something is going to come out that will make me wish I waited!

THanks again...

Similar to buying a car, you can pick either one.

The quality is great on both of them.

The accuracy is wonderful.

You will be happy with whichever one you choose.

I have one of each :unsure:

I cant speak for the original thread opener, but I just ordered a Vista HCx...$226 with shipping...Ill spend the saved money on the Topo map, and eventually the streets maps...

I cant speak for the original thread opener, but I just ordered a Vista HCx...$226 with shipping...Ill spend the saved money on the Topo map, and eventually the streets maps...

I'm the original poster of the thread.

The capability of the 60 to attach an outside antenna is something that brings me back to the 60 from the Venture. But the better cost of the Vista sways me that way too. I could see using this in my car too and the capability of an outside antenna up through the moonroof appeals to me. I wonder how the Vista would function inside my car?? There aren't many places near me that I know of that have much of a selection of GPS that I could go actually handle one so I'm pretty much relying on mail order.

I'm the original poster of the thread.

The capability of the 60 to attach an outside antenna is something that brings me back to the 60 from the Venture. But the better cost of the Vista sways me that way too. I could see using this in my car too and the capability of an outside antenna up through the moonroof appeals to me. I wonder how the Vista would function inside my car?? There aren't many places near me that I know of that have much of a selection of GPS that I could go actually handle one so I'm pretty much relying on mail order.

I thought of that too, but then realized Id mostly be using it on my motorcycle, and then only for map purposes, not really nav unless Im stopped. Car Id have someone else to use the Vista, so it should be ok...

besides, that external antenna is just one more expense.

And I figured if I didnt jump in soon, I may not ever make up my mind.

My experience with the Vista Hcx ( which I've posted here http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=180464) shows considerable inaccuracies in the Trip Computer data and possibly the tracklogs as well.

I have the problems at speeds of 2 - 3 mph, so if you want to use the unit walking or hiking, and that's what it basically designed for, I'd be cautious when considering the Vista Hcx. Otherwise, I'm happy with the unit, but since I bought the unit mostly for hiking purposes, I sure hope Garmin can fix the problem and in a manner so that those of us who already own the unit can take advantage of.

Don

I hope no one minds me jumping in here. First time caller. My name is Bill. Live in Minnetonka MN and work as an electrical engineer with a large hard disc drive company. Like to geocache locally when possible with my 12 and 8 yr old daughters. They love it. Gets us out into the great outdoors and have learned a good bit of local history. Not bad at all.

I'm debating this 60CSx vs Vista HCx issue. I asked the jolly old man for 60CSx simply because it seemed loaded and reminded me of my trusty Lowrance Globalnav 12. Miscommunication among the elves resulted in delivery of the Vista HCx (Outdoor Pack with 128MB card, Topo 2008, and holster).

Has anyone ever found the screen size of the 60CSx to be an advantage? My usage would be 30% driving/biking, 70% geocaching/walking/hiking. For driving/biking, is the larger 60CSx display of any help in terms of clarity/readability. I most admit I'm not putting much emphasis on the overall size of the unit being small.

I guess the 60CSx is to soon die. Seeing price reductions and rebates. $288 out the door at Wal-mart !

Thanks in advance for answers and being tolerant of the newbie.

Has anyone ever found the screen size of the 60CSx to be an advantage?

Before buying, I compared the two units you're looking at. One thing about the display on Vista Hcx that impressed me was the fact that is it noticeable brighter. It is slightly smaller, otherwise it is very crisp and readable. I suggest you take your 60Csx to a store that stocks the Vista Hcx and compare for yourself. (Let us know what you conclude).

For me the Trip Computer accuracy problem is an issue. I find at walking speeds some of the display parameters can be up to 30% wrong. And it's not clear to me whether, under some conditions, this problem doesn't also affect tracklogs. I posted some tests results elsewhere on this forum and there have been several threads discussing the issue.

One hopes that Garmin corrects the problem.

Don

I've had the Legend for several years, worked fine until it took too many falls. (stuff happens)

So this Christmas I got a Garmin 76Csx. I really really like it. It's bigger, yes, but that also means it has a bigger screen. Wow does it acquire a signal fast. I can easily handle one handed operation, the buttons are above the screen not below like the 60 series. I find it easier to navigate single handed than on my Legend, I like the rocker (though it did get some getting used to) and I like the layout. I would find the 60 to be cumbersome with the buttons located at the bottom of the device. I am so eager to upgrade my mapping software from my old Roads & Rec and get City Navigator for auto-routing.

Another nice thing, I boat and this thing will float.

My price was $305 with free shipping from Amazon. Could have gone with the 76cx and foregone the digital compass and barometric altimeter for $280. So far as that barometric altimeter goes, I am not impressed, keeps thinking I am changing altitude when the weather changes.

You want small go Vista, you want rich features, go 76Cx or 76Csx. You want the rich features and to have it look more like a radio, a little more awkward button layout, same overall size and doesn't float go 60cx or cxs. I think what the 76 has done form factor wise was take the basic setup that the 60 has, put it in a different case and that blank space next to the antenna that is now enclosed...that provides the flotation. Just a hunch, because except for the way the cases are the insides are the same, and the 76 floats, the 60 doesn't. Both are same height and width except at the top where the antenna is.

I hope no one minds me jumping in here. First time caller. My name is Bill. Live in Minnetonka MN and work as an electrical engineer with a large hard disc drive company. Like to geocache locally when possible with my 12 and 8 yr old daughters. They love it. Gets us out into the great outdoors and have learned a good bit of local history. Not bad at all.

I'm debating this 60CSx vs Vista HCx issue. I asked the jolly old man for 60CSx simply because it seemed loaded and reminded me of my trusty Lowrance Globalnav 12. Miscommunication among the elves resulted in delivery of the Vista HCx (Outdoor Pack with 128MB card, Topo 2008, and holster).

Has anyone ever found the screen size of the 60CSx to be an advantage? My usage would be 30% driving/biking, 70% geocaching/walking/hiking. For driving/biking, is the larger 60CSx display of any help in terms of clarity/readability. I most admit I'm not putting much emphasis on the overall size of the unit being small.

I guess the 60CSx is to soon die. Seeing price reductions and rebates. $288 out the door at Wal-mart !

Thanks in advance for answers and being tolerant of the newbie.

I have a 60CSX, had it for over a year now, it is loaded with CN v8, Canada TOPO & US TOPO (although just part of each TOPO)

I bought a Vista HCX for my daughter for Christmas, loaded it up with CN v2008 & Canada & US TOPO (although again not all the two TOPO's loaded).

Now I have had two weeks to assess the Vista HCX against the 60CSX in the field doing routes from our truck & doing many geocaches.

I much prefer my 60CSX as I think the Vista has a slower processor. The reason I say that is when scrolling across the state of Florida (thats where we are for the winter) the 60CSX is many times faster in picking up the new area scrolled to. The Vista HCX sits there with the hour glass on & takes a much longer time to get to the same location.

Also it may be my familiarity with the 60CSX but the menu, find, mark etc is much more intuitive than the Vista.

My daughter likes the Vista especially the smaller size but she agrees that the 60 is easier to use, the Vista maybe after using it a longer time may get easier.

Also the 60 has a far superior bicycle mount than the Vista. Also like the belt mount of the 60CSX.

We also got more hours out of the Duracell Rechargeable 2650 NiMi's with the 60 than the Vista which seems strange seeing that the Vista is much smaller.

So which one of the two would I personally get again??...the 60CSX.

Which GPS unit would I get...I would wait for the new Colorado.

Hope this helps.

Edited by canuck travellers

Relatively new to geocaching here but having used both the eTrex form-factor and the 60Cx form-factor, it's a toss up. Really depends on where you intend to cache and what you might do with it in the future.

For the urban caching the eTrex line is nice to slip in your pocket or carry around, at about the size of a cell phone. The 60 series is a little bulkier and tougher to stuff in the pocket.

Because you have about $300 to spend, I would go for the Legend HCx (who really needs a digital compass or barometer anyway... extra fluff) and then buy one of the Garmin Mapsource programs (maybe Topo?) that meets your needs. They are expensive pieces of software (cheaper on Amazon) but worth it.

Edited by big.foot

Maps are important...unit is (almost) useless without them, I forgot to mention that if you are in Canada that Canada TOPO is routable...a great enhancement, I have the last years version of USA TOPO, it is ok but very dated & not routable. Now Garmin has a newer version of USA TOPO but I think it is not routable either.

You can look at their viewer to determine if you want it, personally down here in Florida I use CN most of the time except fishing on the lakes..TOPO shows more accurate details of inland lakes.

I have one of each :)

I agree with ventura, I have one of each although I had the 60 first as when I bought the HCx wasn't available and I was more interested in the better accuracy. I've since gotten used to using the rocker and enter key. Pretty similar to text messaging on a normal cell phone. Once you get used to it you can be pretty quick one handed. Yes the screen of the HCx is brighter but I've never had a problem not being able to read the screen on the 60 under any conditions. I have found that I like having the seperate buttons for each function on the 60 better. The press or press and hold to get the different functions out of the HCx isn't something that I've seen anyone else mention in the discussions. Maybe it's just me but I especially have trouble on the HCx pressing down straight enough each time on the click stick to get a good "Enter" instead of moving the cursor.

Just my $0.02 worth and you'll be very pleased with either unit. One thing that may tip the decision for you is that you really and I mean REALLY want the maps. So if it's a choice of HCx and maps vs. 60 and no maps I'd go for the HCx.

Trooper

I have one of each :)

Just my $0.02 worth and you'll be very pleased with either unit. One thing that may tip the decision for you is that you really and I mean REALLY want the maps. So if it's a choice of HCx and maps vs. 60 and no maps I'd go for the HCx.Trooper

To be fair; How about "if it's a choice of 60CSX and maps vs. HCX & no maps"

Quote.....

....and above I read the OP wanted an external antenna. Forget that. It's never needed, ever.

Depends what use you want the antenna for....I use an external antenna on the 60CSX to find & plot survey lines on my wood lots, adds needed accuracy to the tracks. If you are simply doing geocaching I agree you would never need an antenna.

However "Never" is a long time...............................

We also got more hours out of the Duracell Rechargeable 2650 NiMi's with the 60 than the Vista which seems strange seeing that the Vista is much smaller.

It's more than 'strange' it's impossible.

Maybe impossible, however we used the two side by side for two weeks and her batterys ran out as described in my previous post sooner, the 60CSX kept going longer, even swapped batterys after recharging.

Back light, waas, etc. all set same on both units.

Strange but true.

All the 60csx, Vista hcx and legend hcx makes me no difference. But when people dismiss the compass like it is a useless add-on bothers me. I got a Vista Hcx from the wife for Christmas to replace my Venture Cx. The compass keeps pointing towards the cache reguardless of my movement. If standing stilll near to the cache site it is nice to see the correct direction without having to walk 15 or 20 feet to get the non-compass unit to pick up where I am in the world.

Hey everyone – just new to the world of GPS units when an etrex legend showed up under the Xmas tree. That started the review search and eventual decision that I needed to upgrade (no USB and no driving directions). I narrowed the search down to 4 – etrex vista HCX, the GSMap 60csx (rebate needs to come back) the 76 csx (high price) and the Delorme (high price). This sight has supplied a wealth of info that I greatly appreciate – but I still have a couple questions. Usage basis – mountain biking 30%, hiking/geocaching 30%, driving 30%, misc 10%.

1. Driving directions - I read that the 60 and 76 csx beep when you near a turn – does the vista hcx. Is it audible over a radio or screaming 2 year old (or to wake me out of my interstate daydream)

2. Vista less than 2 mph (big concern for me)… some reviews say it does – some says it doesn’t (and may not be possible to fix). The latest firmware update – does it correct the issue or are the others superior in this apsect)

3. The HCX wobble stick – early versions of the legend said this tended to be what failed – but nothing on this sight mentions any problems with these on the later models. Any issues. I borrowed a friend’s legend and I’m a righty. Always had to keep moving my hand cause it covered the screen.

4. Along the same wobble stick line… some say the 60 csx keypad is terrible – others not so bad. Is there are difference between the lower end 60 and the top end 60 csx (or is it the same case – different internals). Is the 76 the same feel (I know the buttons a marked a little differently – but they look like they are the same

5. I know with 60% driving / biking – some will push for the 60’s screen size – but the extra bulk means more to catch a tree limb. It looks and sounds like all the screens are about the same (resolution and size) so this is not an issue

6. Finally – the Delorme – haven’t seen a bad thing said about it – but most everything I read focuses on the topo maps. How is this unit for street use (driving directions and such)

Thanks for the help. Can’t wait to get on my first hunt!

...and the Delorme (high price). Usage basis – mountain biking 30%, hiking/geocaching 30%, driving 30%, misc 10%.

6. Finally – the Delorme – haven’t seen a bad thing said about it – but most everything I read focuses on the topo maps. How is this unit for street use (driving directions and such)

Keep in mind that the Earthmate GPS PN-20 comes with a 1GB SD Card as well as Topo USA 7.0 (detailed topographic and street maps for the entire US), and a $100 credit for additional map downloads like USGS quads, color aerial imagery and NOAA charts. We're trying hard to make sure people are aware that everything you need is in the box... a story that gets lost at retail sometimes...

I would definitely recommend the PN-20 for mountain biking, hiking and geocaching. I use it for these activities on a regular basis. The PN-20 will also perform adequately for driving... be sure to create your road, trail or direct routes using Topo USA and transfer them to the PN-20. Navigate with the route to view time and distance to turn, see the upcoming road name and turn arrow and hear beeps announcing decision points. I don't recommend the device as a primary in-vehicle GPS as recalculating routes can take longer than desirable when turns are missed and new directions are needed. I would recommend one of the many in-vehicle devices that are out there if road routing tips the scales for you.

As you consider the different devices think of the PN-20 as a great mapping GPS with good driving features to get you to your cache location. I read a review on the geocaching forum that described the color aerial imagery as cheating, it made things so easy. I liked that description...

There are lots of screenshots on our website if you're looking for more examples of the maps or details about the features. I also like to point out the 30 day money back guarantee... put it to the test. Let me know if you have any additional questions about the PN-20 or Topo USA.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Edited by Team DeLorme

Keep in mind, if you get a GPSR that everyone else has (Garmin Legend, Vista, 60Cs, 60CSX, etc), you can come here to get answers quickly.

There are PN-20 people here too!

Not to mention here... http://forum.delorme.com/index.php

The forums really are a great place to get fast answers, regardless of the manufacturer of your GPS device. I am always amazed at how knowledgeable and helpful all of the members are. It is changing the way we interact with our customer base... from design and testing to sales and marketing as well as customer service. Forums like this site really make it easy to get help if you are a new user. They also allow companies to hear what the customers are saying and take action. It is a very powerful tool, thanks for all the reading material!

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

I had no idea the DeLorme came with all that stuff...that makes it look a lot better price wise...

I still ended up with the Vista HCx (paid $315 so far and have unit, Topo 2008 and 2gb micro sd card), and am pretty happy so far, I just wish someone would come out with one map set that could do everything, like a combination of the Topo and City Navigator, and the Waterway maps, but all in one package...AND not make you buy another license to use it on another GPS that you own (Garmin)...

Edited by Lodogg2221

I think buying the maps again on another GPS device is total crap. I am not going to buy the same content again and again. Everything is free on the internet after all :ph34r: I am not a total pirate, I paid once. But switched gpsr's and you can bet I didnt pay again the second time.

I had no idea the DeLorme came with all that stuff...that makes it look a lot better price wise...

I still ended up with the Vista HCx (paid $315 so far and have unit, Topo 2008 and 2gb micro sd card), and am pretty happy so far, I just wish someone would come out with one map set that could do everything, like a combination of the Topo and City Navigator, and the Waterway maps, but all in one package...AND not make you buy another license to use it on another GPS that you own (Garmin)...