Restriction of storage capacity on GPS60csx

Trexus

Just learned that in order to have both mapping software, topo and navigator, on the gps unit you have to download both maps at the same time.

First I erased all the memory on my 4G mSD card so make space available for the download by taking the card out of the device and simply delete all data through windows explorer.

Now, when I mark all maps from the navigator software it adds up to approx. 1.7G and 352 Maps/items. which I thought would leave me with plenty space for the topo softare on the 4G chip, but I get error messages I didn't expect.

a. I can only download 2025 maps (WHY??)

...so I reduced to 2025 maps and 2.7G (on my 4G card)...

b. now I get a message that the storage capacity in the destination is only 2G (out of 4G)

Does anyone has experience with this topic? Plan for a trip tomorrow and have nothing on the GPS.

Sorry guys, just found an answer to a. in the posted FAQs for this unit.

...still working on b. though...

Just learned that in order to have both mapping software, topo and navigator, on the gps unit you have to download both maps at the same time.

First I erased all the memory on my 4G mSD card so make space available for the download by taking the card out of the device and simply delete all data through windows explorer.

Now, when I mark all maps from the navigator software it adds up to approx. 1.7G and 352 Maps/items. which I thought would leave me with plenty space for the topo softare on the 4G chip, but I get error messages I didn't expect.

a. I can only download 2025 maps (WHY??)

...so I reduced to 2025 maps and 2.7G (on my 4G card)...

b. now I get a message that the storage capacity in the destination is only 2G (out of 4G)

Does anyone has experience with this topic? Plan for a trip tomorrow and have nothing on the GPS.

I don't believe the current Garmin GPSr's are able to utilize the new SD HD storage media memory above 2GB

I've re-formatted various times but still same error.

So now that the market finally offers 4G cards for affordable price Garmin fails to support that?

Does any body know of a remedy or have I indeed wasted my money.

Yes, it won't support cards larger than 2 GB, and sometimes even 2 GB cards will be problematic, though typically only high-speed versions of certain cards (i.e. Sandisk Ultra's). This is not necessarily a Garmin issue, it is more SD card inherent. I have a Dell Axim PDA that has the same limitation. Some people have been able to get around this by formatting and putting data on the cards on a PC, then transferring the card to the device. But what happens is if you write a file to the card while in the device with said limitations, even though it may show the card as being 4 GB with space free, it'll immediately say it's full and can show a reduced capacity like you're seeing.

Edited by tdx

2GB is the limit of the SD spec.

There is a different spec that allows >2GB (theoretically up to 128GB) but it's HDSD and not the SD that consumer electronics currently expect to find when you put a card in their slot.

4GB SD is a hack, and a hack with unpredicatble operation in devices that expect spec-compliant SD. If it works, be grateful and don't bet your life on stability.

To borrow Dr. Johnson, a 4GB SD "is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all.""

Notice the warning against 4GB SD on the homepage of the SD Card Aassociation, who maintains the specicification:

http://www.sdcard.org/home

I don't know if the 60CSx can handle cards larger than 2GB or not, but even if it can there is a 2GB limit on the file size for the FAT32 file system.

I was wrong, there isn't a 2GB file limit for FAT32. I was able to create a 2.5GB mapset on a 4GB SDHC card and use it in a Nuvi 760.

You can easily exceed 2025 limit using "GmapTool v0.21". This program helps join different *.img files generated by Mapsource.

Collect all *.img files with 2025 limit, generated by Mapsource in one folder (must have different names). Insert to folder gmaptool program. In windows command shell execute sth like this:

gmaptool -jo gmapsupp.img *.img

Copy gmapsupp.img to "Garmin" folder in your SD card of your GPS.

Program can be downloaded from (the manual in english is included inside zip folder):

http://www.anpo.republika.pl/files/gmaptool021.zip

cheers! a. :rolleyes: