Re-chargable batteries

...Headless

I use the older generation NiMh rechargeables right now and they work fine. For Christmas I asked for the new generation of NiMh rechargeables. They are supposed to hold a charge longer without losing power. For example on the older type batteries after sitting for 1 month they lose half of thier charge or something like that. the newer generation only loses 1%. I'm not positive on the exact percentages, but I know there is a signifigant difference. Do a google search on "ready to use" rechargeables.

Edited by sanramonhunter

I use 2400mah rechargeables in my Lowrance Expedition C and they last a long time with the backlight on. Like already mentioned, bring an extra set with you and you just in case and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. It saves alot of money. Instead of having to keep buying batteries and keep throwing them away. This is what I use. It is an excellent charger.

http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/la-cros...c781da584fc4cc4

Edited by Scott_B
I use the older generation NiMh rechargeables right now and they work fine. For Christmas I asked for the new generation of NiMh rechargeables. They are supposed to hold a charge longer without losing power. For example on the older type batteries after sitting for 1 month they lose half of thier charge or something like that. the newer generation only loses 1%. I'm not positive on the exact percentages, but I know there is a signifigant difference. Do a google search on "ready to use" rechargeables.
That might explain some of my past issues with them. About a month ago we ran out of AAs so I charged some rechargables and put them in my GPS. I left my GPS in the car and then went caching one night. A few days later I had some time to kill so I turned on my GPS and I had two out of four bars left. I grabbed my GPS and walked about a quarter mile to a nearby cache. When I got there the battery indicator had zero bars left. I searched for a minute or and then my GPS died. So much for letting me know that I had 50% of my battery life left. :yikes: Anyhow, I didn't know there was a new type. Maybe the new type will restore my faith in rechargables. I typically get 20 hours out of two AAs that I can buy for less than 25 cents each so I'm not highly motivated to switch.

:yikes: Does anyone use re-chargable batteries in their GPSr? Do they last? Would you recommend a certain brand? Thanks in advance.

I have only used rechargeable batteries in my GPS units. However, I found from the very beginning that only brand-name rechargeable batteries, like Energizer, were reliable. Forget the Wal-Mart or other off-brand ones.

After two years of using the Energizer 2500s, I found they would not hold a charge very long after recharging. Several months ago I switched to the new Rayovac Hybrid batteries and have been happy with them. They last for many hours in my Vista HCx and will hold a charge between charging and use. As others have said, the other brands of Hybrid rechargeables work very well.

I use 15 minute rechargeables from Radio Shack and love them, they last 2 days, turning the GPS off at night. I bought some EverReady from Wal-Mart, that came with a home charger and a car charger. Which I paid $10.00, they are well worth the money. Now I always have fresh batteries with me.

:yikes: Does anyone use re-chargable batteries in their GPSr? Do they last? Would you recommend a certain brand? Thanks in advance.

I have only used rechargeable batteries in my GPS units. However, I found from the very beginning that only brand-name rechargeable batteries, like Energizer, were reliable.
The rechargables I just used that went from two bars to dead in ~5 minutes were Energizer 2500mAh. They were used for a few hours since the last charging but they did sit out in my car for a couple of weeks. So I guess the lesson learned is to make sure that you always fully charge them right before you need them.

I suspect that most cachers use rechargeables.

They do not last as long as alkaline in GPSr, but then again you don't have to thrown them away afterwards, either. Do remember to set the battery type in your GPSr to NiMH or whatever so the battery indicator reads [more] accurately.

The capacity (2000mAh, 2600mAh,etc) is probably the most important factor in buying NiMH. Note that some ultra high cap batteries are physically larger/longer as companies try to get more capacity out of the AA.

IMO, once you account for capacity I think the most important thing is the quality and ability of the charger. Thomas Distributing, mentioned earlier, is a good place to learn about decent chargers. The MAHA brand of charger is famous for a good reason, but I have used others (including hobby-grade rc chargers, and I'm not talking about department store or Radio Shack stuff).

A regular battery will usually last about 25% longer than a single charge on a set of good NiMH rechargeable. But, you can't recharge them. We only use rechargeables and have many extras to keep charged up for back ups. It will save you in the long run and it also ensures that you can have a good fresh strong charge when you set out to cache. You can easily buy a small charging unit to travel with, if you need to. And, if my memory serves me right, you can get a good sized pack of them at Sam's Club for a nice price. Totally worth it. With 3 kids in the house, we use them for everything.

I'm using Energizer NiMh 2500 mAh rechargeables in my IFinder and find they are great. I use a slow recharger which is much better than the fast chargers. When they are still warm out of the charger, they indicate 1.37 volts. 3 weeks later they indicate 1.34 volts which is way above the rated 1.2 volts for NiMh batteries.

When I go on a camping trip, I bring along at least 1 extra set of recharged batteries and a few new alkaline batteries.

I use Rayovac Hybrid batteries in my cameras and GPSrs that use AAs. After using them for over 6 months, I will never go back to standard NiMH rechargeable batteries.

Other hybrids: Sanyo Eneloop, Ultralast Hybrio, Sony Cycle Energy.

Reviews I have read comment on the superior voltage curve, and super slow self discharge rate.

:mmraspberry: Does anyone use re-chargable batteries in their GPSr? Do they last? Would you recommend a certain brand? Thanks in advance.

I have only used rechargeable batteries in my GPS units. However, I found from the very beginning that only brand-name rechargeable batteries, like Energizer, were reliable.
The rechargables I just used that went from two bars to dead in ~5 minutes were Energizer 2500mAh. They were used for a few hours since the last charging but they did sit out in my car for a couple of weeks. So I guess the lesson learned is to make sure that you always fully charge them right before you need them.

You may have had the GPSr set to think alkalines were installed. Always carry spare batteries (I carry a set of alkalines, in addition to recently charged nimhs)

Think "green" and use rechargeable batteries. If not, then at least dispose of the alkaline batteries properly (I am not implying you aren't :mmraspberry: )

:mmraspberry: Does anyone use re-chargable batteries in their GPSr? Do they last? Would you recommend a certain brand? Thanks in advance.

After using several brands of the new hybrid rechargeables, I will never buy anything but I have Sanyo, Rayovac, and some Kodak batteries and they all work great.

I use the Duracell 2650 mAh and have had no problems. I use a slow, 12 hour, charger and while I have never timed the use life I am not disappointed. I have not experienced any problems in the winter with the life but keep a second set with me at all times.

Second that one, my GPS is a 60CSX lasts about 24 hours or if backlight is on almost constant to about 14 hours, keep a second set with me, can not afford dead batteries as we fish at night on lakes that are 3 miles from the dock...must find way back in fog & rain.

Essential to have a great GPS (Garmin) & great batteries (Duracell)