Should I upgrade?

Plumberbutt

I recently have a Garmin Etrex Legend and have had it for a few years. After doing some reading on here, I realize that maybe it is just that my GPS just doesn't have the capability that the 60csx has or the sensitivity. I have trouble at times with my Etrex Legend bouncing all over the place and it gets sooo disturbing when I'm trying to find the cache I am looking for. I am sure they all have their issues, but I would like to know from some of you experienced folks, just is the 60csx that much more accurate and reliable?? I also noticed that most people use paperless descriptions. I am not too techy, but if the PDA would make it that simple just to download the description to the PDA.....WOW, would that make things a LOT simpler!!!! If I purchase a used Palm 515, would this do the job for me and how easy is it to operate.

Thanks for your help,

A Newbie.........Plumberbutt

Feel free to email me if you'd like and thanks again.

I recently have a Garmin Etrex Legend and have had it for a few years. After doing some reading on here, I realize that maybe it is just that my GPS just doesn't have the capability that the 60csx has or the sensitivity. I have trouble at times with my Etrex Legend bouncing all over the place and it gets sooo disturbing when I'm trying to find the cache I am looking for. I am sure they all have their issues, but I would like to know from some of you experienced folks, just is the 60csx that much more accurate and reliable?? I also noticed that most people use paperless descriptions. I am not too techy, but if the PDA would make it that simple just to download the description to the PDA.....WOW, would that make things a LOT simpler!!!! If I purchase a used Palm 515, would this do the job for me and how easy is it to operate.

Thanks for your help,

A Newbie.........Plumberbutt

Feel free to email me if you'd like and thanks again.

I cached with a Legend for my first two years. The reason I upgraded to a 60CS was for the autorouting capability. We don't have a lot of trees out here so the sensitivity has never been an issue for me. However, when I cached on the east coast, it was more challenging with the trees. There are a bunch of new GPS models coming out next year so I might hold off if I was you... :yikes:

Paperless Caching on the PDA is great. I am using an old Palv Vx and cachemate software and it is VERY simple. Cachemate costs $8 to buy. If you are a premium member on geocaching.com you just do a pocket query and you get an email with a GPX file. drop the GPX file into the Cachemate file converter and next time you sync your palm, woila you have cache info, descrption, hints, and the last five posts on the cache.

I would second the idea of waiting for the new Garmins to come out. The new Colorado might even have some of the Paperless features built in, so you wouldn't even have to get or carry a pda along with you. If the new Garmins have the ability to put all the cache info into the unit I will be selling my 2 month old 60csx and upgrading for sure.

Edited by sanramonhunter

Paperless Caching on the PDA is great. I am using an old Palv Vx and cachemate software and it is VERY simple. Cachemate costs $8 to buy. If you are a premium member on geocaching.com you just do a pocket query and you get an email with a GPX file. drop the GPX file into the Cachemate file converter and next time you sync your palm, woila you have cache info, descrption, hints, and the last five posts on the cache.

I would second the idea of waiting for the new Garmins to come out. The new Colorado might even have some of the Paperless features built in, so you wouldn't even have to get or carry a pda along with you. If the new Garmins have the ability to put all the cache info into the unit I will be selling my 2 month old 60csx and upgrading for sure.

I started caching back in 05' and then got out of it for a while and then forgot my login, so then a friend of mine got me going again and I have no idea why I didn't keep up with it until the last few months, so I had to start all over again and I am a premium member. Thanks for the heads up on the new GPS coming out, I'll wait on them. I think I will buy a PDA. I never have had one, but if it would save paper and let me load all the descriptions and first 5 logs, that would be awesome!!! I now use the pdf file with the first 5 logs and end up with a bunch of paper, even though I recycle, it just doesn't feel right. I found a palm m515 on ebay and wondered if that would be good for me?? They really aren't that expensive if you buy a used one, is there anything that I have to watch for if I buy one used??

Once again, thank you so much for your help.......Plumberbutt

I forgot to ask one other question. If I purchased the used palm m515 that I was looking at, can I use Vista which is on my laptop to download to the pda?? Thanks again
I think there is an upgrade available for Vista now that will allow it to work with most Palms. I still use XP. Edited by TrailGators
I have trouble at times with my Etrex Legend bouncing all over the place and it gets sooo disturbing when I'm trying to find the cache I am looking for. I am sure they all have their issues, but I would like to know from some of you experienced folks, just is the 60csx that much more accurate and reliable??

You're going to get bounce with any unit. The accuracy of the 60CX is roughly the same as the Legend. The difference is in the features and the reception. With the 60CX you aren't going to lose reception under trees like you do with the Legend.

I recently have a Garmin Etrex Legend and have had it for a few years. After doing some reading on here, I realize that maybe it is just that my GPS just doesn't have the capability that the 60csx has or the sensitivity. I have trouble at times with my Etrex Legend bouncing all over the place and it gets sooo disturbing when I'm trying to find the cache I am looking for.

Any receiver with a High Sensitivity chip (like the eTrex H lines, the 60cx, etc, will do much better in tough conditions.

I sync my cache information to whichever smartphone I am carrying: palm or windows smartphone. I prefer this setup to carrying yet another bit of gear.