Is there a GPS for Nav and Geocaching?

JGL

I have a Garmin StreetPilot III that I use for caching. I would like to upgrade to one that handles navigation as well. The Garmin Nuvi 250W and the Magellan Crossover sound promising, but you can't try before you buy. Has anyone found a unit that handles both functions well?

Hi,

i have recently bought the road Angel 7000 Adventurer which is both a road satnav and also uses Memory Map for off road mapping, i bought it for off road driving and it is great better than a paper map but with the same detail.

Now i have discovered geocaching i tried the gps yesterday and it was good, its waterproof and easy to use....have a look

Road Angel 7000

hope this helps paul :yikes:

Welcome to the Forums! :yikes:

The Garmin GPS Map60Cx, Map60CSx, or Map76Cx, or 76CSx, or even the smaller Legend HCx or Vista HCx, with City Navigator maps installed will work very well for road navigation as well as Geocaching. The Legend HCx would be the least expensive option for you.

Those units are waterproof and durable and the City Navigator maps are very good.

Garmin Customer Service, should you need it, is much better than Customer Service from Magellan. I am not familiar with the Road Angel, but it looks cool. :yikes:

I have a Garmin StreetPilot III that I use for caching. I would like to upgrade to one that handles navigation as well. The Garmin Nuvi 250W and the Magellan Crossover sound promising, but you can't try before you buy. Has anyone found a unit that handles both functions well?

Just F.Y.I. While you can cache with the nuvi 250W it isn't waterproof. I would recommend getting a waterproof unit just in case. Also The magellan 2200T is pretty much the same unit as the crossover without the ToPo built in. You can get refurbed ones for $150 or less on ebay, then pay $50 to magellan to get the topo maps on it and basically convert it to a crossover. You wouldn't have the rubber sleave that comes with the crossover, but I haven't been able to find a crossover for less than $229. I've never used the magellans, but am looking into them myself. Right now I use my 60csx with City navigator on it, and it works well for street navigation. I just want the Turn left on Elm voice prompts, instead of the R2D2 beeps and chimes of the 60csx. This thread has some info on the crossover http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...mp;hl=crossover.

I would recommend checking out the Garmin Quest or Quest II.

Greetings,

I tried geocaching with a MIO C310x and found out that the GPS would not update if I was moving less than 3 or 4 miles per hour. This was a pain when I was within a few yards of the cache.

I came across this review for the Magellan CrossoverGPS:

http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_tracklo...lan_crosso.html

The reviewer noted that:

"Once you arrive at a waypoint, your distance to that waypoint will no longer update, a flaw that will impact geocachers."

Have a Merry Christmas!!!

Greetings,

I tried geocaching with a MIO C310x and found out that the GPS would not update if I was moving less than 3 or 4 miles per hour. This was a pain when I was within a few yards of the cache.

I came across this review for the Magellan CrossoverGPS:

http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_tracklo...lan_crosso.html

The reviewer noted that:

"Once you arrive at a waypoint, your distance to that waypoint will no longer update, a flaw that will impact geocachers."

Have a Merry Christmas!!!

jetskier mentioned that in the thread I linked to.