Mapsend Topo Canada Ontario region

sunchaser81

Hi Everyone,

I am new here, I have the explorist 500le and live in Kingston Ont, I don't do any geocaching but it does look very interesting. I use my gps for a bit of hiking and fishing in my boat.

I was wondering if anyone has downloaded the Ontario region and how detailed it is? It says streets and highways but is that just the major hwys and streets or are some of the back roads and lakes on there? I am hoping to use it for getting to some some lake north of hwy #7

I have tried to use the Magellan web veiwer but it doesn't do anything, such as zoom in or any of the other function on it work.

The other thing is I am using windows Vista home premium and Vantage point and all seem to work with vista so would the ontario region work also with Vista?

Any info or your opinion is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sunchaser81

Edited by sunchaser81

Hello Sunchaser81

I'm also have the Explorist 500LE and have Mapsend TOPO Canada. I find it is very detailed and from what you are asking I believe it should cover what you want. Later this evening if you'd like I can post a screen shot for you. (Unfortunately I'm not at home right now.)

On the Vista issue, I'm not able to help you there. I'm using XP. Perhaps try the GPS and Software forum. Someone there will definitely be able to answer you questions there.

Good Luck!

thanks ace862,

that would be great if you would post the screen shot. and I will search for vista problems with mapsend.

Thanks for reply

Hello Sunchaser81

I'm also have the Explorist 500LE and have Mapsend TOPO Canada. I find it is very detailed and from what you are asking I believe it should cover what you want. Later this evening if you'd like I can post a screen shot for you. (Unfortunately I'm not at home right now.)

On the Vista issue, I'm not able to help you there. I'm using XP. Perhaps try the GPS and Software forum. Someone there will definitely be able to answer you questions there.

Good Luck!

I am new here, I have the explorist 500le and live in Kingston Ont, I don't do any geocaching but it does look very interesting. I use my gps for a bit of hiking and fishing in my boat.

Sunchaser81,

I can't help answer your question (as I use a Garmin--and regularly give ace862 a hard time about not having one!) but did want to encourage you to give geocaching a try. Geocaching has exploded in the the Kingston area over the past few months, and there are a few Magellan users who would be able to help with Mapsend. And since you have a boat, you could easily have a bunch of new friends who need your help to do those island caches!!!

swimmrguy

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has downloaded the Ontario region and how detailed it is? It says streets and highways but is that just the major hwys and streets or are some of the back roads and lakes on there? I am hoping to use it for getting to some some lake north of hwy #7

I have tried to use the Magellan web veiwer but it doesn't do anything, such as zoom in or any of the other function on it work.

The other thing is I am using windows Vista home premium and Vantage point and all seem to work with vista so would the ontario region work also with Vista?

Thanks in advance

Sunchaser81

Hi sunchaser,

I am an owner of the 500le, I am going to give you a link to a website dedicated to detail maps of canada for the explorist series. The maps are very detailed, and work requests can be made for a certain geographic area if needed. The maps are datum from the DNR Canada, you have to sign up for an account, this site is excellent and highly recommended....Bootz

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance

Sunchaser81

Hi sunchaser,

I am an owner of the 500le, I am going to give you a link to a website dedicated to detail maps of canada for the explorist series. The maps are very detailed, and work requests can be made for a certain geographic area if needed. The maps are datum from the DNR Canada, you have to sign up for an account, this site is excellent and highly recommended....Bootz

http://magicmaps.hw7.ca/?module=pagemaster...MN_position=3:3

Thanks for that link Bootz. I wish I had known about that before. It looks great.

Sunchaser, Sorry I haven't gotten the screenshot up yet. I spent last night after work finishing off the christmas shopping. I took much longer than I wanted. :santa: I'll try to make some time tonight.

And Swimmrguy is right about caching in the Kingston area. I started in July of this year and have had an amazing time and met some really great people. The Kingston Area Geocachers (KAG) love to challenge each other with well thought out unique caches that leave you wanting more. It's simply amazing.

And one more thing, Swimmrguy may like his Garmin, but I've never fallen into a stream following my Magellan. LOL :yikes::yikes:

We used to live in Kingston and returned a year or two ago and did a couple of caches. At the time there weren't that many, and we were glad to have moved to southwestern Ontario, but as I did another google maps search just now of the Kingston caches - wow, you're right - it has sure exploded! I'm going to have to plan another trip back there soon. Sorry, no comment about the Topo maps, nor Garmin vs. Magellan - just good to read of Kingston again.

Thanks boosty'n'harv,

I just took a quick look at that site, but no time too look at it in depth right now, hopefully later today.

Since my last post I have found out that windows vista doesn't like the Magellan geocache manager, loads but wont transfer the cache to my gpsr. So in the meantime I will use my wife's computer with xp on it and works fine.

Thanks and may everyone have a great Christmas (and get all the big toy's that you wished for)

sunchaser81

Edited by sunchaser81

hey boosty'n'harv,

Thank-you,Thank-you,Thank-you,Thank-you, I downloaded the kingston and area map and it is exactly what I wanted, I am playing around with it now. I am like a little kid that just got the toy he wanted for christmas :rolleyes:

So back to playing,

sunchaser81

Glad you enjoy the maps!!! They are great, good luck!

Boots