I need a cointest :)

tsunrisebey

Ok people, I need your help and I'm prepared to give you a coin in return and maybe a few extra goodies to go along with that coin.

On Jan. 12th, I'm going to be hosting my first event!!! I've never attended one so this whole process is pretty new to me but Helena just doesn't do much in the way of this stuff. My event has been posted and it is a chili cook off and being held indoors.

I have will have a coin/tb table set up, I am using some of my coins for door prizes, there will be a prize for the best chili, and I want to play a few geogames inside. So here is where you come in; I need some suggestions on some things I can do for the games (they need to be indoor stuff). January tends to be cold here. I'm open to suggestions, what have you done at events that you thought was fun or a great ice breaker? I've read shop99er's manual and got some ideas from that :) I want some more and no worries if they are repeats with a slight twist from what someone else posts.

I'll pick the idea that I think will work best for my event and that will be the winner.

Contest closes on Dec. 28th midnight my time. Thanks for the help all! You can enter more than once but not more than 3 times.

Autograph Bingo Game

Summary: Autograph Bingo is an icebreaker that asks people to mingle and find people that match interesting facts on a bingo card. The game causes players to discover interesting and humorous facts about each other.

Ages: 12 and up. Recommended # of people: Larger groups of 24+ people. Messiness Factor: No problem. Materials required: bingo cards prepared in advance and writing utensils. Recommended Setting: Indoors.

Autograph Bingo

Autograph Bingo is a fun way to help both new acquaintances and old friends discover facts about each other. The goal of this icebreaker game is to mingle and obtain the signatures of people who have the facts listed on their bingo card. Just as regular bingo rules, once a player successfully obtains a full row (5 in a row) on his or her Bingo sheet, whether obtained horizontally, vertically, or diagonally, he or she shouts “BINGO!”

Setup

Prepare a table with 5 rows and 5 columns (5×5), with interesting facts inside the boxes. These facts can include humorous or bizarre things. For example you can use facts such as:

* Speaks more than two languages

* Enjoys walking in thunderstorms

* Likes anchovies

* Has been to Alaska

* Has gone skydiving before

* Has more than three sisters

* Has gone without a shower for more than three days

Try to be as creative as you can. Like traditional bingo, you can mark the center square as a “Free Space”. After you are finished preparing the table, print out enough copies. You are ready to play!

Instructions for How to Play

Pass out pens and the bingo cards to each player. Explain the game along with the following rule: each person you talk to may only sign your sheet once (so that people can interact with as many people as possible). When everyone is ready, say “Go!” and begin the game!Once a player shouts “Bingo!” everyone returns to the center and the person must introduce the people who signed his or her sheet. If desired, you can ask each person to explain their fact.

The Autograph Game is a great way to learn humorous or unique facts about people. Have fun!

Edited to add:

You can make the questions geocaching related. i.e.:

-someone that has 5 FTF's

-someone who has hidden 10 caches or more

-someone that has 500 finds, etc, etc

Edited by PengoFamily

One Card High

Each person who attends, gets one card from a standard deck of cards. (you may not use all the cards depending on attendance)

At certian times you set, you call say :"The Ace of Clubs". The person holding that card gets a prize. If no one has it, call another card.

The winners surrender the card for the prize and the game can last all night. (or until prizes run out, depending on how many times you wanna call)

:)

Ok people, I need your help and I'm prepared to give you a coin in return and maybe a few extra goodies to go along with that coin.

Contest closes on Dec. 28th midnight my time. Thanks for the help all! You can enter more than once but not more than 3 times.

Mmm Chili. Anyways they did this at GW5 and I thought it was alot of fun. Autograph bingo. but each square had something geocaching related. Like if you have over 500 caches, if done a 5/5, if you have ever had to use a watercraft to finish a cache, if you finished a delorme, etc...

I've have so much fun talking to total strangers and making new friends.

Or you can play truth or dare (with limits) whats the hardest cache you've done and what one was the most fun etc.

<edit cause pengo family beat me to the auto bingo>

Edited by SCYoli

At the 2007 Indiana Fall Picnic, I believe it was Deermark played something like "GeoPursuit". He had a different catergories, like geographic, State Parks, GeoEvents & I'm not sure of the other questions. Anyway he went around asking everyone to pick a catergory & if you answered correctly you got a little prize. It was fun & interesting. Does that make sense?

BTW, have fun with your 1st event!!!!!

Edited by Random Find

Bingo but goecaching related. Boxes contain geocaching related things and same as above they have to find someone & have them sign the box. (I have one I can email you that you can work off of)

Guess What's in the Ammo Can - get a big ammo can and fill it with something - anything. (I'll lyk what I filled mine with) Everyone gets a guess.

Hide caches - draw names to award the FTF hunt.

Poker Run - always a blast. You would need 5 temp caches for the run.

When in doubt ask LB4T - MI cachers DO events! :)

I know the first picnic we went to for the Hampton Roads Geocaching Group, they did a Chinese Auction. I think there are other names for it too? What you do is have anyone who wants to participate bring a wrapped item worth a certain amount say $10 to $20. You then pass out tickets to those participating. You call out the first ticket number and that person comes up and picks a present off the table (they cannot open the present until the game is over). You call out the next ticket number, that person comes up and they can either pick a present off the table or take the present out of the first person's hands (their choice). If the 2nd person takes the 1st person's present then the 1st person has to pick another present off the table. Another ticket number is called and then that person can take a present from the table or either of the other two's present, so on and so forth. Get it? It was funny when our group played it because the present that the first person picked which was pretty big kept going down the line until the last person's ticket number got called and they ended up with the present.

This game is fun even for those not participating because everyone who picks a package off the table is afraid the next person is going to pick theirs instead of something off the table.

Edited by Nochipra

Geo-Bingo is a good game for getting folks to mingle.

Each cacher is given a sheet of paper with squares on it.

In each square is a statement about caching.

Examples:

Cached from a canoe

Got questioned by the law

Got injured while caching

Went night caching

etc.

The idea is to approach the other cachers, introduce yourself, and ask if they did any of the items mentioned.

If so, they initial the square and the first to have all their squares initialed, wins!

:)

Tsun, just keep in mind that you don't want to overplan your event!! Many simple meet & greet events I've attended were more fun than an event with a bunch of contests and such! M&Gs are more laid back and give people time to meet and talk, show off and trade coins etc.

I like the bingo game idea since it helps to get everyone mingling, but if you're having a cook-off, people (well a bunch of them at least) will be busy with that. You've got to have time to eat, maybe an auction of donated items to help offset the costs....

All I'm sayin' is give peace...no, that's not it...all I'm saying is make it fun but give everyone time to mingle and chat!! I LOVE the chatting with friends more, but that's me.

We have played a game we like to call: "Geocaching trivia: fact or Urban Legend?"

In this game the organizer reads 15-20 geocaching/geocacher related statements and all the attendees answer "fact or legend" on their answer sheet. At the end (or even as you go) the answers are revealed. We let everyone score themselves and give prizes to the highest scores (anda joke prize to the lowest). Even if you don't know anything you have 50/50 chance of being correct, so it's fun to see who scores "less than chance."

As for what sorts of things to ask, there's stuff like:

As of December 31, 2007 there are 2113 active caches in Montana.

Personal things work well too (and remember some will be made up).

We give attendees the opportunity to submit a fact/legend of their own to be included. We also scan old logs (especially those from long time cachers/archived caches). All sorts of interesting tidbits there.

You can see how we explained it on the cache page: here. It went over pretty well as you can see from the logs.

This worked nice for the Multi-Geocoinfest but I don't think it will work with non-geocoin addicts ....

I did a geocoin trivia. I came up with a bunch of trivia questions about geocoins. Knowing that many were bringing their collections with them I made sure that most questions could be answered by looking through people's geocoin collections. I also made sure that I did questions about coins created by those that were in attendance. Like "whose coin depicts three major Pittsburgh sports teams" and "what color is the dragon in DresselDragon's personal coin" and "how many Jeeps are in Anthus's traveling geocoin binder". I printed up sheets with the questions on them and gave attendees the majority of the event to complete it. It got people to mingle.

....Anthus

We held our event 1st event in Sept. One of the games that went over well was the toss a cache. I bought 50 exactly the same film canisters from the eplace and had all participants write their name in a piece of paper and put it inside. Then they all lined up and tossed it. (I thought film canisters would fly farther, but the longest throw was only about 100 feet). The winner was the longest throw. You know how you swear some people place their caches by driving by and throwing it out the window.. and clicking a waypoint.. that's the jest of this contest. :)

You need contest suggestions? Wow! :)

Locally, we have an annual event, "Age of Discovery." Probably the biggest (and most enjoyed) part of it is the ice-breaker. When people register, they get a sheet of questions. They need to find, for example:

Which person present has:

• The most finds?
  • Between 50 and 100 finds?
  • One find? (special case - one big-time cacher had a 'sock puppet' with one find)
  • Most encounters with law enforcement?
  • Been caching the shortest length of time?
  • Oldest cacher?
  • Youngest cacher?
  • Travelled the farthest/least to get here?
  • Who uses a non Garmin/Magellen GPSr? (we always get one!)
  • etc. ad nauseum.

You can make this list as long or as short as you like. The key part of this is getting people to mingle, and get to know everyone. Once they're done (give 'em a time limit), they turn it in, and get a raffle ticket.

You will need to do some research here, and figure out who's going to be there, and build your list off that.

Good luck with your event, and if I could come, I would!

You could get a big ammo can (or some other container) and fill it with 35 mm film cans (Walmart photo dept gives them away). You can put a number on a slip of paper in each micro container and have each guest take a container. Then draw numbers from a hat to award your prizes. You could also give a special prize for the one to guess correctly how many micros are in the ammo box.

If you are giving a bunch of coins away you could put the name of a coin in the film canister or even better yet on the outside of the canisters and play musical coins. Get everyone in a circle only pass out a certain amount of film canisters with names of coins on them say 4 or 5 and have them pass them around the circle while playing music. When the music stops those people get whatever coin is in or on the film canister and then they leave the circle. The circle gets smaller the number of time you play. If you have enough coins for everyone you can play til everyone wins one or stop the game when you run out of coins?

I've always liked games with music and/or follow the leaders. My two suggestions:

1. Musical chairs - perhaps something with geocoins stuck to the chairs, instead of one less chair each time a randomly drawn/selected geocoin signifies you're out (if you are sitting at that chair/geocoin), repeat until 1 person left with 1 geocoin and they get to keep it or more at the end.

2. A geocaching themed Simon Says - like "Simon says finding a nano in tall tree branch" everyone reaches a hand up over their heads. "Ammo can on the ground"...maybe their aren't enough different gestures or stances, but it was my idea.

I am young at heart so forgive me if these are too youthful for most.

Here is my third and last idea. You can call this game "Who has the coin?" You take one coin and give it to someone secretly when they come into the event. People go around asking others if they have the secret coin if the person they ask does have the secret coin then they must give it to that person who asked secretly. People continue asking each other if they have the secret coin and it gets passed around and around secretly and even the person who started with the coin could still end up with it. The catch is you cannot ask the person you give the coin to if they have it since you know they do. At the end of the event the person that has the coin gets a prize. This can get conversations started too during the party.

Here's a game that was played at a few events that I've been to recently...

Pick ten or fifteen geocachers who you know are definitely coming to your event.

Look at each persons profile and write down the name of a geocache that they have

hidden on a sheet of paper. (use only one cache per person)

Opposite the title of each cache, draw a line for the cache owner to sign.

Distribute a copy of this sheet to all attendees and they have to mingle and ask others if

they are the owners of any caches listed on the page. It's a great way to meet

cachers whose cache you might have found, but never met in person. Once each

person completely fills out their paper, they hand it in. A random drawing can be

held from all the correct sheets returned.

Passing the log book: The first person to show up takes possession of the log book and signs it. They then keep the log book until the the next person shows up and comes to them for it. As more people arrive the y have to find who has the log book. You, as the host will tell them the first person to have the log book. They go to that person and are told who they gave the book to and so fortha and so no. This way EVERYONE gets a chance to meet everyone else at the party. Saw this at an event and thought it was a really neat idea to get people to meet each other.

A couple of caching-related tests of skill (and fun), that are lots of fun for spectators as well:

- Who can roll up a new log sheet to fit into a nano in the least amount of time (log-rolling).

- Take a standard assortment of swag items like you might have in an ammo can. Each participant has 30 seconds to stack the item - person with the tallest stack wins.

- Randomly select 10 cachers at the event. The contest would be who could legibly right all 10 names on a log sheet in the fastest time.

- Have a pinata filled with 35mm film canisters. One or more of them will contain geocoins. Have cachers take turns hitting the pinata (or pulling its strings) until they all fall out.

- Have a list of 10-20 cache placement scenarios (e.g. lamppost skirt, underside of mailbox). Everyone starts with the first one and has to write down what they think the star ratings should be for it. Determine the group consensus. Anyone who didn't choose that rating is out. Continue until only a few prize winners are left.

- Ahead of time, locate the coords of several cities/parks/landmarks in the area/state/US/world. Call out the coords and have people write down their guesses as to where these coords point. Closest win prizes.

- Do a mini scavenger hunt for prizes. Who has a Montana state quarter, a paperclip, or other odd item with them.

Hope this helps. Just remember to enjoy yourself as well! :)

At the Maine Pirate Quest last year, we hide 24 geocoins around the room for people to discover. Each coin was hidden in a unique way, in a box, loot bag, etc...and each had it's own little logbook. We placed clues up on the wall that led each cacher to the location of each coin. We also made up a check off sheet so they could keep track of which ones they had found. Everyone really enjoyed it...and most got 24 new icons to boot. We plan on doing it again this year. Hope this helps.

I went to this event where we played this fun game:

Duck, Duck, Goose

where one person goes around and taps people on the head

NO WAIT!!! That was in Preschool, but I still think that it would be FUN!!!!

I would definitely play

Have a great time at your first event and Happy Holidays.

I agree with keeping it a simple social meet and greet that someone else mentioned. Don't really have to have an activity as such. You could use a bon type fire outside to socialize around and would be a pretty good fit with the chili that is already planned. You could consider having a chili dump where everyone makes some chili to bring and then mixed "dumped" it in one big pot. "Chili Dump Meet and Greet". Boiling up a few hot dogs might be a good inexpensive alternative eats for children or those that don't like chili. Provide coffee, hot chocolate, maybe some cider to sip while socializing, discovering and trading coins, etc. You can also use the indoors for those that can't tolerate the cold well, don't want to tolerate the cold at all or just to simply warm themselves. You can add some clever cointests throughout the event. Good luck with whatever you decide on Steph I know it will be a success. ;)

Edited by jAY miLLS

What could be better than a good who-dunnit? You know, one of those "murder mystery dinner" things. Someone "drops dead" and everyone else has to figure out "who dunnit". Everyone is a "character" in the story (which needs to be written up in advance...let me know if you decide to do this...I may be able to help with the story :( ) and it's up to all the guests to work together finding out information about each other to figure out who is the culprit. WallyMart has them packaged up in kits with everything ready to go...(like for $14) It actually ends up being that the victim is someone who's "mysteriously" poisoned by some of that evil lead paint on all those geocoins that everyone's passing around. :mmraspberry:

oh!! oh!! oh!!!

I have another idea :P

Since it's a Chili cookoff, you could get everyone started in a FLC ( ;) flatus lighting contest :mmraspberry: )! Course you're gonna have to get some impartial judges... make sure the local Fire Dept is standing by...pass out gas masks...

Edited by MasterOfIntrigue

What could be better than a good who-dunnit? You know, one of those "murder mystery dinner" things. Someone "drops dead" and everyone else has to figure out "who dunnit". Everyone is a "character" in the story (which needs to be written up in advance...let me know if you decide to do this...I may be able to help with the story :( ) and it's up to all the guests to work together finding out information about each other to figure out who is the culprit. WallyMart has them packaged up in kits with everything ready to go...(like for $14) It actually ends up being that the victim is someone who's "mysteriously" poisoned by some of that evil lead paint on all those geocoins that everyone's passing around. :mmraspberry:

oh!! oh!! oh!!!

I have another idea :)

Since it's a Chili cookoff, you could get everyone started in a FLC ( ;) flatus lighting contest :mmraspberry: )! Course you're gonna have to get some impartial judges... make sure the local Fire Dept is standing by...pass out gas masks...

Sweet! Another sock puppet. I love this :P

Now here is a Cointest that has No wrong answers. This is my 3rd and final entry.

Keep it simple and have others just mingle naturally.

Also have others (as I am sure you will get others to donate) donate coins and geocaching related items to have a silent auction. Use the proceeds to fund the formation of the Helena Geocachers Organization HGO or your 2009 Geocoin Event on your property that you promised so many of us :) .

Thanks again for the Cointest!!!!

Now here is a Cointest that has No wrong answers. This is my 3rd and final entry.

Also have others (as I am sure you will get others to donate) donate coins and geocaching related items to have a silent auction. Use the proceeds to fund the formation of the Helena Geocachers Organization HGO or your 2009 Geocoin Event on your property that you promised so many of us :) .

LMAO! No pressure on holding an event at my place.....the georodeo :ph34r: I wasn't going to ask anyone for donations cause I know everyone is tapped out, including myself. But, The Caching Place (Georgia, told me she was gonna drop me a few goodies :rolleyes: Thanks!)

A couple of you have mentioned mingling and not to overplan. I hear what you are saying but I am asking for game suggestions <_< I need to have a plethora of ideas and options available to me plus it isn't the same here as it is where alot of you are. We may need something to get people talking, there are alot of new cachers in Helena. Plus, I like games and if there are kids there, it might be fun for them and it may give others ideas so they might host an event and I can give them tips and ideas. This thread holds many benefits beyond the initial 'I need a game.' Thanks for the ideas so far!

Dan wasn't it you who posted that pretzel/kisses/m&m's recipe? Guess what I'm going to make :unsure:

LMAO! No pressure on holding an event at my place.....the georodeo :huh: I wasn't going to ask anyone for donations cause I know everyone is tapped out, including myself. But, The Caching Place (Georgia, told me she was gonna drop me a few goodies :rolleyes: Thanks!)

A couple of you have mentioned mingling and not to overplan. I hear what you are saying but I am asking for game suggestions :unsure: I need to have a plethora of ideas and options available to me plus it isn't the same here as it is where alot of you are. We may need something to get people talking, there are alot of new cachers in Helena. Plus, I like games and if there are kids there, it might be fun for them and it may give others ideas so they might host an event and I can give them tips and ideas. This thread holds many benefits beyond the initial 'I need a game.' Thanks for the ideas so far!

Dan wasn't it you who posted that pretzel/kisses/m&m's recipe? Guess what I'm going to make :ph34r:

The M&Etzel's were me...and once you make them and have one there is NO STOPPING!!! I think I have put on 15 pounds since I made my first batch Thursday night. As for games...keep in mind my Duck, Duck, Goose game. I know that I would be into playing it!!! <_<

Have fun with your baking and Merry Christmas

When facilitating, one of my favorite icebreakers is called Three Truths and a Lie. It works with any number of participants and can go on throughout the event.

Have enough index cards for participants. Safety pins are good, or tape or something to attach the card to themselves in a visible location.

When each person arrives, have them write four things about themselves (legibly, so others can read them). Three things should be true. One thing should be false.

For example, I might list:

1) I love kayaking.

2) I was born in Colorado.

3) I have climbed Mt. Everest.

4) My geocoin collection weighs more than I do!

They needn't be difficult or overly complex. Having some examples written on a flipchart is very useful for getting folks to think of things. Since these facts are self-selected, some will be very specific and others will be very broad. Each person will need to make their own facts as they feel comfortable revealing.

Once the person has their four items the idea is to mingle and try to figure out which of their four items is not true. After a brief conversation (hopefully, sometimes folks get really wrapped up), they switch and try to guess someone else's lie. As new folks come in, they can join other discussions or they can pair off with someone else.

If you hav any questions, let me know...

Good luck with your event!

At our events we have had several little games. One was the Autograph Bingo, Another is "Guess what is in my geobag" Items you always carry with you. Everyone gets a sheet with the exact number of items you carry with you at all times, then they fill in the blanks. The one that guess right the most items wins. Another was X marks the spot (This is for outside, but doesnt take very long) everyone gets a piece of paper with coords on it (the same coords) also everyone gets a stake or landscape flag, you then go and find the spot and and place your flag. The one thats closest to the x wins.

Hope this helps a little.

If you send me your e-mail (PM or through geocaching profile), I'll e-mail you an MSWord version of GeoBINGO so you can customize it for your locale and local caching characters.

We have also played "Where in the World?" It's a matching game where cachers are given sets of coordinates and points of interest and have to match them up. Some folks are real good intuitively while others fire up their GPSs and start thumbing in coordinates. At one event held in a local library, one enterprising cacher bolted for the map room and set an all time record for speed.

Oh, and don't let the outside weather keep you from doing outside events. We recently had a nighttime Solstice Event in Anchorage that featured a small bonfire, hot dog and marshmello roast, and a team caching event that featured four new caches. The temperature was in the teens, it was dark, there was snow on the ground, it was held on a weeknight, yet it was well attended by young and old alike. Here's the link if you'd like to read the logs and check out some photos.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Coin in a container. Have an ammo can or a lock and lock and a coin. Have a line to throw from but if there are small kids there, have a line closer for them and as they throw the coin and try to get it into the container, have them tell a story that happened to them while geocaching or something about geocaching. If they miss they are out. Last one with the coin wins it. New cachers will be learning about caching and stories are always entertaining.

I have to be honest with you...some great ideas in this thread, but as you know they are all geocachers how about something totally unrelated, like giving everybody a unique silly hat when they arrive (like a pirate / king / queen / french cap / GPS Hat / etc) and on each table you have missions to find the wearer of the xyz hat.

Everybody will meet and will probably make alot of new friends.

Maybe give them a dateing card and person with the most meets wins.

Anyway have a great event and tons of fun.

Oh Also - who can eat most of the hottest raw chillis competition - the winner will be hoarse unable to claim the prize and the 2nd person wins.

Happy New Year

If you are having a raffle: Instead of just giving folks numbers, hide a temporary cache with numbered poker chips (or just numbers on paper). Have the coordinates at the sign in table. Annound that to have a chance at winning a prize you need to find the cache. This works well if there are new cachers who have never found a geocache. They get a bit of practice, and if they are having trouble someone will help them out. If you want to stay indoors, then just give hints as to the location of the cache.

If you want to give away your prizes in a non-random fashion have a scavenger hunt. Hide a few (4-6) temporary caches each full of some small item. The last one we did had a Halloween theme, so there was a film canister full of bat erasers, a pill bottle with little spider rings, etc. Everyone gets the coordinates (or hints if they are inside) for the caches at the same time; the first one(s) back with an item from every cache wins.

Have a fun event!

We played geocoin poker at an event that I hosted.

I put pictures of a different coin on each persons name badge. Then the participants could make "poker" hands out of the coins.

The idea was to get two or three of a kind. You could get matches the following ways

Direct match. ie Moun10Bike+Moun10Bike

Type match. ie Geowoodstock coin + MOGA coin (both events)

Location match ie Moun10Bike coin and a Washington/Idaho coin

Hmmmm...how about a variation of pin the nose on the donkey? Just make it caching related, like "drop" the TB in the ammo can.

I picked this one for the winner. It reminded me of dropping clothes pins in the mason jars as a kid. After I saw this I picked up a TB tag and tried to drop it in a jar. It's quick and simple.... thanks for all the great suggestions, I plan on using some of these others at future events or depending how this upcoming one goes, this one too. I appreciate the help.

Congrat's DD :sad:

Hmmmm...how about a variation of pin the nose on the donkey? Just make it caching related, like "drop" the TB in the ammo can.

I picked this one for the winner. It reminded me of dropping clothes pins in the mason jars as a kid. After I saw this I picked up a TB tag and tried to drop it in a jar. It's quick and simple.... thanks for all the great suggestions, I plan on using some of these others at future events or depending how this upcoming one goes, this one too. I appreciate the help.

Congrat's DD :sad:

Mason jar?? Oh, that's right, you aren't old enough to have dropped them into milk bottles!

ETA: CONGRATS DD...there were a lot of great ideas!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy