2008 Kansas Sunshine COINTEST

larry739

Outer green and center yellow , I grabbed one of your coins in a rather unique place ! Try these Coords to see where N.27 13.458 W.090 01.899 in the middle of the Gulf Of Mexico on our Drilling rig !! There are 5 cachers working on the same rig and we trade travel bugs and coins to help see them to their intended destinations !!

Wow you discovered this one just 10 days after I dropped it in a cache in Dallas in front of the restaurant next door to the hotel I was staying in. TB1GMW0 It's in Virginia now. Amazing how these bits of metal and paint get around. :)

This would be a little different, because who has ever seen a green flower, but green makes me think of spring:

Petals: Light Green (PMS 802)

Center: Light brown (PMS 730)

I wish I had some software where I could just fill in the color from a pallette and see what this looks like. I did find a web page for the PMS color chart:

http://www.peaceproducts.com/Pantone%20Color%20Chart.htm

All of the color ideas you are suggesting are really great. I like the idea of silver or nickel for the metal for the majority of the coins as this is a metal I have not yet used to make coins. Maybe making the activated ones in Antique Gold or SIlver might be good too. I kind of like the antique look myself. Also Atlantagal's suggestion of making them a little thicker is interesting. They are about 2.0 mm now.Maybe 2.5 would be a bit heftier. The concept of this coin is to flood the countryside with geocoins so more people discover them in the wild. With that end in mind the idea was to make them very affordable so people will not hesitate to release a few. I am releasing as many as possible.

These color combos are just awesome. I am going to have to find a way to make images of them all so we can see them and get a real idea. I wish I had an interactive web page where you could just point and click the color combinations to get your best suggestion out there. I know these kinds of things have to exist. I am not as knowledgeable as some of you guys are so I guess I will just have to keep plugging away, but thanks for your suggestions and keep them coming.

Outer green and center yellow , I grabbed one of your coins in a rather unique place ! Try these Coords to see where N.27 13.458 W.090 01.899 in the middle of the Gulf Of Mexico on our Drilling rig !! There are 5 cachers working on the same rig and we trade travel bugs and coins to help see them to their intended destinations !!

Wow you discovered this one just 10 days after I dropped it in a cache in Dallas in front of the restaurant next door to the hotel I was staying in. TB1GMW0 It's in Virginia now. Amazing how these bits of metal and paint get around. :)

try the coordinantes on google to see a rather unique place it had been !! not a wild cache but a rather wet one

Off subject . . . Are you going caching for Christmas like you did on Thanksgiving :lol:

Actually I will be doing a three day caching trip right after Christmas after the house guests have left. I am going to do the St Jo, Leavenworth, Lawrence Topeka run, and try to get 100+ caches in those three days and leave a geocoin in every cache I visit. :)

I will be staying at home each night since the days are sooo short. But I do have a new flashlight that Secret GeoSantas' Elves left me in my screen door last weekend so if it is possible to do some in the dark I will. This will be a power run in which I will be joined by the Caching Grouchos. They are a motley crew but they are tireless and persistent. I will drive my Jeep since I get free gas and have the built in laptop with GPS tracking. :lol:

I could not talk my wife into eating Christmas dinner at Brahms like we did Thanksgiving. :)

try the coordinantes on google to see a rather unique place it had been !! not a wild cache but a rather wet one

I bet that was a scary place during Katrina. It looks like it is right on the drop off of the continental shelf. Not much detail on Google Earth. I was hoping to see the offshore oil rig when I zoomed in. I bet that is a long helo ride to get out there. I have done some fishing around those rigs and they are awesome. That one is way out there.

Did you know Google Earth was developed by a guy from KU in Lawrence? If you zoom in when it starts up it takes you right to his apartment complex where there is a geocache hidden in the flowerbed, GC165JA

I like a black (maybe glittery) center with gold petals...

23128426.jpg

reminds me of Steeler colors

Great suggestion. Thanks.

I am surprised you have never found one of these in the wild as I have dropped quite a few in caches at State College, PA. I will be at GCF08 in Pittsburgh. Maybe we will meet up. Hopefully you will cache up to some sunshine by then. I will havejust activated one and made its mission to visit you in Pittsburgh. Looks like you cache enough to find it. Here it is: TB1Z62E You can add it to your watch list. I will put it into a cache tomorrow morning so someone here can find it and get it headed your way. Think it will make it? :)

Translucent junkie here:

1. Alternating leaf colors: Translucent #3 and Translucent #4 with a center of Translucent #11/Gritty #7 (gold, black nickel, antique copper plating).

2. In Antique Silver: alternating leaf colors of; Translucent # 18 and Translucent #19 with a center of Translucent #11/Gritty #7

Thanks for the cointest and have fun designing your new coin.

Just to keep it kinda simple I like these two?

For the purple one: purple pms 520 and black 6 2x

For the white one: It didn't see a pms of white colors? and center Black 7 2x

Maybe you could make one a LE and one a RE or just pick one and make a glitter one for an LE edition and the metal could be nickel and maybe BN for LE

whitesunflower.jpg

purplesunflower.jpg

Edited by Nochipra

How about a silver coin

Petals: Yellow (Yellow 2x) glitter

Center: Bright Blue (PMS 306 2X)

It would be like the sun in the sky, especially if there's glitter.

If you wanted it to be a little different, the petals could be blue and the center yellow. Hmm, then the sun would be in the middle of the sky!

These color combos are just awesome. I am going to have to find a way to make images of them all so we can see them and get a real idea.

I found a way to change the colors using Photoshop. I am not that great at it, so the images look pretty primitive. If someone could tell me how to upload an image that isn't already on the web (so therefore doesn't already have a URL to enter) I can try to put some of the suggested color combos on here.

http://www.imageshack.us/ cheap, easy, and you can even get your own "account" where all your pics are stored.

There are other places, too, but this is pretty much the most generic in my book, not to mention easy!

Can't wait to see them!

Naomi ;)

PS... just gotta say... that is one STUNNING flower!

sunflower20blue20500.jpg

I think this would look nice with any of the silver tone metals or the black nickel B)

I'm sure these combinations have been mentioned before, but I'd love to see:

burgundy-ish/red petals with a center of the same color only much darker, in a gold or shiny silver metal.

Like the colors of the daisies in the Wizard of Oz (which just happens to be on TV now).... the gold metal because of the rainbow song from the movie... yeah, corny I know.... but hey, it's a childhood favorite!

Whatever you decide, I'm looking forward to seeing (and buying) them ;) .

Here are some of the suggested Pantone color combos. Like I said, I am a real novice with Photoshop, so these samples look more like olives than sunflowers, but at least it gives a basic idea. If someone's idea isn't here, I probably couldn't find the Pantone colors in my version of Photoshop. I will keep trying, though.

82871053js6.th.jpg

PMS606 Dark Gold; PMS725

89208165wn1.th.jpg

PMS1495 light orange; PMS100 light yellow

53815922in8.th.jpg

PMS1945 Wine; PMS156 Light Tan

52131863gr9.th.jpg

PMS630 Light Blue; PMS605 Yellow

23984970ry0.th.jpg

PMS812 Hot Pink; PMS803 Bright Yellow

18640211jx3.th.jpg

PMS802 Light Green' PMS730 Light Brown

41093268tt4.th.jpg

PMS130; PMS104

Edited by surteb

Here are some of the suggested Pantone color combos. Like I said, I am a real novice with Photoshop, so these samples look more like olives than sunflowers, but at least it gives a basic idea. If someone's idea isn't here, I probably couldn't find the Pantone colors in my version of Photoshop. I will keep trying, though.

82871053js6.th.jpg

PMS606 Dark Gold; PMS725

89208165wn1.th.jpg

PMS1495 light orange; PMS100 light yellow

53815922in8.th.jpg

PMS1945 Wine; PMS156 Light Tan

52131863gr9.th.jpg

PMS630 Light Blue; PMS605 Yellow

23984970ry0.th.jpg

PMS812 Hot Pink; PMS803 Bright Yellow

18640211jx3.th.jpg

PMS802 Light Green' PMS730 Light Brown

41093268tt4.th.jpg

PMS130; PMS104

Wow that helps alot. The first one is similar to the 2006 one I did.

I like a black (maybe glittery) center with gold petals...

23128426.jpg

reminds me of Steeler colors

Great suggestion. Thanks.

I am surprised you have never found one of these in the wild as I have dropped quite a few in caches at State College, PA. I will be at GCF08 in Pittsburgh. Maybe we will meet up. Hopefully you will cache up to some sunshine by then. I will havejust activated one and made its mission to visit you in Pittsburgh. Looks like you cache enough to find it. Here it is: TB1Z62E You can add it to your watch list. I will put it into a cache tomorrow morning so someone here can find it and get it headed your way. Think it will make it? :grin:

Added it to my watchlist (better late than never). Thanks! This time of the year, we can usually use some good 'ole sunshine here (esp after the disappointing Steeler loss)

I love sunflowers! We were fortunate to find one of your coins in the wild around Christmas time. We moved it from Maine (Bears in the Bushes) , to Rochester NY, (Big Bathing Beauty). :grin:

I like a lot of the ideas already mentioned, but since this is a cointest, I need to mention something new. I've always been a fan of Van Gogh, who painted a lot of sunflowers, so I think using some of his color themes could look really nice.

A bright golden yellow with an aqua center could be evocative of some of these works.

vincent-van-gogh-paintings-from-paris-16.jpg

sunflowers.jpg

Making it a bright peachy orange with a deeper aqua-verging on teal could really "pop" as well!

pf_sunflowers.jpg

Either would great with silver. :)

Wow these are all really great ideas. Makes me want to do more than one. But the plan is to do just one design per year. I seem to see lots of good ideas about non traditional color combos like and glitter in the center. I wonder if glitter adds any cost to coin production. I usually make 1000 of these so I can release a fairly large number myself. I like the idea of doing silver and will probably use nickel for the 750 that will be sold and antique silver for the ones that will be activated and released. These are metals that have not been used in the past.