What to do?

Mappin' Mike

My car was broken into and two brand new gps units were stolen. The units were a Garmin GpsMap 60csx for me and an Etrex Venture (the green one) for my seven year old to learn on. This was just a few hours after I bought the units while at another store. I filed a report but the police didnt seem to care much...it was just nothing new to them. I then find out for some reason that insurance wont replace these. I have no money to replace these as I have saved for a long time to be able to afford these units. I just dont know what to do. Thieves in my opinion are low life scum suckers I hate them all. I hope they enjoy the Christmas present that my 7 year old son wont get this year.

Mike, that's awful about what happened. :laughing:

A couple of ideas: did you check with both your automobile and homeowner's/renter's insurance companies? Maybe even if one won't cover the loss, the other will.

Also, if you bought the items with a credit card, check with the CC company. Some cards protect against theft or other loss for the first 2-3 months after you buy something with that card. Call a service rep and ask about "purchase protection."

Good luck!

Patty

I've tried. Nobody will replace them and I paid for them with a debit card. I just wish I could find the piece of trash that did this. It took me upwards of a year to save for both these units as money doesnt come easy for me then in a second they are both gone. I worked hard for what some thief took in about 10 minutes. A friend let me try some geocaching with his unit about a year ago and we figured this would be a good way for my son and I to have some outdoor fun together when we could eventually afford our own gps. Not this year I guess.

Mike,

I feel for you as something similar happened to me a few months ago. Stopped for lunch only to come out and find the truck had been broken into and gps along with several other things stolen. Insurance would not replace mine either. I did get a new unit though last month. I saw in a post last month maybe that some people sent a person a few new gps untis. I cant send mine since I use it at work too but I could throw in $20 or so if several people would like to take up a collection or if someone can just send you a unit be it new or used. What does everyone think? I mean heck its Christmas time.

It's strange that your insurance won't replace them. A few years ago, some miscreant broke into my Jeep and stole my GPS V (among other things). State Farm covered the GPSr without drama.

Depends on the deductible and type of coverage. We only carry liability coverage on one of our cars (the 'beater'), so if anything gets stolen out of it, it's not covered. And the other car has a $1000 deductible for comprehensive/collision, so if my 60CSx gets grabbed out of that one, it's not covered either.

It's strange that your insurance won't replace them. A few years ago, some miscreant broke into my Jeep and stole my GPS V (among other things). State Farm covered the GPSr without drama.

Depends on the deductible and type of coverage. We only carry liability coverage on one of our cars (the 'beater'), so if anything gets stolen out of it, it's not covered. And the other car has a $1000 deductible for comprehensive/collision, so if my 60CSx gets grabbed out of that one, it's not covered either.

JSWilson64 hit it. I only have liability because my car isnt the nicest one around. Anyways I guess I'll have to just start saving again. It just agravates me that all the hard work I do and someone without a care in the world and probably doesnt want to work anyways makes off with my stuff. The worst part is that my son was along when we got these, I can still hear him asking why someone would do this.

Do you have the S/N of the units? If you don't maybe the store might have them. If you do have the S/N of the units watch E-Bay for them.

Most PD do not do much for this type of crime. They do a report then tell you to talk to you insurance co. I had a Garmin GPS III+ stolen from my Jeep TJ I had. The PD told me to talk to my insurance co. They told me to take a flying leap. Both the auto and home. Auto told me the sense it was a add on device they do not cover it and to check with my home insurance co. The home insurance co. told me they will not cover it because it was in the auto. Big #?%& catch 22.

It is my understanding the most items stolen end up on E-Bay sooner or later. Watch E-Bay. Have your paperwork on the units. I hope you put the receipt in your pocket and not the bag.

Check with your bank. Allot of them offer the same protection for purchases as a credit card, for you debit card. Does it have a Credit card symbol on the card. My has the Master card symbol.

If you have to talk take your questions to the bank manager if you have too.

I hope this helps.

I hope you get this fixed. (I hope you catch the person who did this. I know when I find the person who took my GPS III+ will not like meeting me.)

kf4oox - Paul

I hate thieves, and vandals. Every time I was stolen from, or vandalized, the police take the report but seam to have the attitude of why bother. They know also there is nothing they or you can do except feel angry and victimized. I would visit the store where I purchased the items and see if they have surveillance of the parking area. Show them the police report they could possibly give you a discount on replacement of the items.

I doubt that the police do not care, they take hundreds of these types of reports a year. About the only chance they have of getting your property back is to catch the offenders with a sack load of property or on a warrant. Then the problem starts compounding, matching the property to the owner. If they cannot figure out who the property belongs to, eventually, it will sell at auction. I would think a pair of gps receivers would be easier to match than say, car stereos, speakers or CDs.

They know the odds of getting your property back are slim and it is a depressing report for them to take. Like anybody else, they want to be successful in their endeavors. Glen