A new book about geodetic surveys & monuments

CallawayMT

I wanted to make an unsolicited post about a book that I purchased and just received to today. Here is a link to the website where it can be viewed and purchased: Nebaraska's Early Geodetic Surveys

This is a 63 page paperback book loaded with historic photos about the monuments and techniques discussed so often in this forum. It discusses the Missouri River Commission, USGS, USC&GS, State Geodetic, Magnetic Surveys plus more. You don't have to be from or near Nebaraska to appreciate this book. Jerry Penry does excellent research for all of his articles and has not failed on this book. It was just released and comes out of little known publisher, at least to me. With shipping it was around $20 and so is very affordable.

I would love to post some scans of the photos, diagrams and sketches, but that would not be appropriate.

Give it a glance, I give it my 4-star approval.

Happy Holidays!

CallawayMT

I received this book for Christmas and been reading every spare moment I can find. I have been obssesed with Missouri River Commission monuments ever since I found one in 2003. http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=TL0846. Jerry Penry has filled in the gaps on a bunch of questions I had about MORC and all the other agencys that set bench marks around the turn of the century.

If you are a bench mark hunter, or just a history nut, you will enjoy this book.

Regards,

square nail