Discovering kinda killed caching for me

DangerJudy

On the back of the travel bug that we Purchase it states "I go from place to place picking up stories along the way". There is nothing about discovering. "Case Closed"

I fail to see how a discovery is inconsistent with this purpose. Doesn't a discovery constitute "picking up a story along the way"? :D

What kind of story could you tell. :D

A story for who, the cacher or the bug?

Sorry, I'm feeling snarky. What Discover log has ever been worth sharing? Very few and too far between.

A story for either or both. It would be ideal if every log brought joy to the TB owner and to the finder, but realistically most logs are doing pretty well if they bring joy to at least one of those two people.

Personally, I don't think discovering hurt anything. Those that are wiling to move a TB will do so. Those that won't now have a choice to discover it or leave it alone.

OK let's say there are five travel bugs in a cache and someone discovers all five of them. Or lets say there are ten travel bugs in a cache and someone discovers all ten of them without moveing five feet away from the cache do you think that is right? Boy it sure looks great on your profile. Hello

Yes, I think that is "right". Why not?

Moving a travel bug five feet away from a cache does not count as "traveling" since there is no way to log this movement.

SAY WHAT

On the back of the travel bug that we Purchase it states "I go from place to place picking up stories along the way". There is nothing about discovering. "Case Closed"

I fail to see how a discovery is inconsistent with this purpose. Doesn't a discovery constitute "picking up a story along the way"? :drama:

>>>>>>>>> NO<<<<<<<

Personally, I don't think discovering hurt anything. Those that are wiling to move a TB will do so. Those that won't now have a choice to discover it or leave it alone.

If they discover it they are going to leave it. That is the problem

Why is it a "problem"? If it sat in a cache until a cacher picked it up, what problem do the intermediate discover logs cause until it is moved by someone who wants to do so? No one has an obligation to move a TB just because they find one.

Also, the TB will only be in the possession of one cacher at a time. If a group finds the cache should those that do not log the pick up also not log their discovery? I think this is one of the situations for which the option was created.

I have one now that has fallen inside a metal fence pipe at Ichiro in Seattle and can't be retrieved. Guess that one won't be moved or discovered!

Have you suggested they try a long stiff wire with a hooked end? Or a magnet on a string or on the end of a long thin stick?

I've had some emails from some very kind folks who have tried to retrieve that TB and the other items that fell into the abyss. They have tried several things but with no luck. Guess I may have an excuse to wander on out to Seattle and give it a try myself!

OK let's say there are five travel bugs in a cache and someone discovers all five of them. Or lets say there are ten travel bugs in a cache and someone discovers all ten of them without moveing five feet away from the cache do you think that is right? Boy it sure looks great on your profile. Hello

Moving a travel bug five feet away from a cache does not count as "traveling" since there is no way to log this movement.

WHAT?

WHAT?

Didn't you make this post already?

The quote is from your post: "without moveing five feet away from the cache". You tell us what it means.

I fail to see how a discovery is inconsistent with this purpose. Doesn't a discovery constitute "picking up a story along the way"? :unsure:

WHAT KIND OF A STORY. "I DISCOVERED IT"

A story for who, the cacher or the bug?

Sorry, I'm feeling snarky. What Discover log has ever been worth sharing? Very few and too far between.

Annoying, but don't let it ruin your enjoyment of caching as whole.

I should have said having TBs specifically, not caching as a whole.

I've got two coins that I've had for a year, still haven't left them in a cache yet. I just figure that they will either A. disappear B. get discovered endlessly C. their numbers put on one of those printed sheets that gets passed around parties or D. all of the above. grrrr :ph34r:

And that is just what they do.

I'm new at this, but I've already figured out that to me it makes little sense to discover bugs as opposed to geocoins (for the icons). Last weekend I went to my first event and discovered the coins but only looked at the bugs. But the next day I did come on a situation where I decided to discover a bug and not move it. The bug had just been placed in the cache a couple days before; the cache it was in suited the bug's goal quite well, better than any cache I would move it to; and I wanted to take a picture of it. So I discovered, took the picture and posted it, and left it for someone else.

So the travel bug that,s TRAVEL BUG never left the cache. :blink:

I used to "discover" every coin and TB I came across. Lots in my profile. Wow.

Then I began to keep track of the TBs, and only the ones I moved meant anything.

Got more into the game, and realized these "Discoveries" were lame, and I didn't care about them.

Thought, It's about fun, and not numbers to me.

Went through and deleted every "Discovery" log, and only kept logs of those I actucally moved.

Of course, that's just me, To each his ( Or Her ) own.

TBs I own, when I get a Discovery log in my inbox, if occasiRe-animator movieonal, I don't mind, at least lets me know the coin or TB is safe and sound. If I ended up getting 30 or 40 in one shot, that could be annoying.

I like this. Maybe I'll adopt this tactic. So far I've only logged the bugs and coins I've moved. It never even occured to me to 'discover' bugs.

To each their own. :D

I have a TB that sat in a TB hotel for months, perhaps a year! And once in awhile, I'd get a 'discovered' notice for it. What is the point?

:huh:

I agree, what is the point?

If you want the owner to know their bug is safe and well, fine, mention that you saw it in your normal log entry. Otherwise, take the bug and move it on, even if it's only a mile or so.

We often include a note in our log IF a bug is not in the cache but is listed as being so - this is much more useful to the owner.

There is nothing more frustrating than having a bug stalled in a cache and loads of people just "discovering" it. No, don't discover it, take it with you, snap a photo, show it to friends, anything, but MOVE it on.

We get such excitement when one of our bugs moves; who took it? what did they do with it? where did they take it? did they take a photo? great fun.

But to see an entry that someone just saw it, where's the fun in that?