Discovering kinda killed caching for me

DangerJudy

Annoying, but don't let it ruin your enjoyment of caching as whole.

I should have said having TBs specifically, not caching as a whole.

I've got two coins that I've had for a year, still haven't left them in a cache yet. I just figure that they will either A. disappear B. get discovered endlessly C. their numbers put on one of those printed sheets that gets passed around parties or D. all of the above. grrrr :P

What is the point?

To let you know it's not missing.

Sounds like the TB hotel that might be the problem. Free the bugs!!

Yep. Your angst is misdirected.

The discovery option was your friend in this case.

The TB prison rules and the folks that actually followed them were the problem. :laughing:

What is the point?

To let you know it's not missing.

Sounds like the TB hotel that might be the problem. Free the bugs!!

Yep. Your angst is misdirected.

The discovery option was your friend in this case.

The TB prison rules and the folks that actually followed them were the problem. :laughing:

something like that.

I have a TB that sat in a TB hotel for months, perhaps a year! And once in awhile, I'd get a 'discovered' notice for it. What is the point?

:)

You could post a note to the actual cache page and ask kindly if the next finder would retrieve your travel bug. I did it to one of mine that was stuck at a "prison". I said something to the effect of: Rules or no rules, I want my travel bug to travel. Would the next finder help move my traveler along... (or something to that effect...) Sure enough, it worked. It could have been my intervention, it could have been just that cacher showing up and wanting to help my specific bug. Regardless, it's traveling again!!! :)

You can also add to the bugs page that Discovery is not allowed, and delete all those logs if you want.

I'm planning to make a TB that will have all GRAB or DROP logs deleted, and is only allowed to be Discovered. You are allowed to drop it into a Cache, but not to log the drop. I want to see if I can keep it off the maps, and have it be a real surprise to the finders. I'm not exactly sure how I will implement this, and how well it will work.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

You can also add to the bugs page that Discovery is not allowed, and delete all those logs if you want.

I'm planning to make a TB that will have all GRAB or DROP logs deleted, and is only allowed to be Discovered. You are allowed to drop it into a Cache, but not to log the drop. I want to see if I can keep it off the maps, and have it be a real surprise to the finders. I'm not exactly sure how I will implement this, and how well it will work.

So I move your TB but don't get to keep a log of it and can't see the TB History. What's the point of that??

So I move your TB but don't get to keep a log of it and can't see the TB History. What's the point of that??

Just experimenting. You would get to keep the DISCOVERY log, which shows in your count just the same. The point would be for Cachers to be surprised by finding the Bug in a Cache when none are listed, as opposed to seeking a Cache with several listed but none actually in the Cache, or to pass the Bug at events. Haven't made that one yet, just an idea right now. This will happen to someone who is looking at a box of 100 TB tags, and want's to come up with new ideas.

Just experimenting. You would get to keep the DISCOVERY log, which shows in your count just the same. The point would be for Cachers to be surprised by finding the Bug in a Cache when none are listed, as opposed to seeking a Cache with several listed but none actually in the Cache, or to pass the Bug at events. Haven't made that one yet, just an idea right now. This will happen to someone who is looking at a box of 100 TB tags, and want's to come up with new ideas.

Sounds like i'd be excited when i found it, then annoyed and pissed off at you for not letting me drop/log the TB.

In fact, i'd even use language regarding you which could not be used in mixed company.

Were that to happen.

Do we all understand that when you post a DISCOVERED log for a TB it ends up in your count just like a GRAB? I wouldn't be taking anything away from anybody, only removing Grabs and Drops from the Bug's history. If it's important for someone to have credit for finding the Bug, they can get that credit by logging it as "Discovered". We all do understand this, right?

Do we all understand that when you post a DISCOVERED log for a TB it ends up in your count just like a GRAB? I wouldn't be taking anything away from anybody, only removing Grabs and Drops from the Bug's history. If it's important for someone to have credit for finding the Bug, they can get that credit by logging it as "Discovered". We all do understand this, right?

And just how would you keep track of where your TB was?

Sounds a bit crazy to me (since it effectively takes the "travel" out of a "travel bug"), but good luck with it. ;)

And just how would you keep track of where your TB was?

Sounds a bit crazy to me (since it effectively takes the "travel" out of a "travel bug"), but good luck with it. :P

I wouldn't know where it was, except for those who mentioned the locations in their Discovery logs. The Travel would still happen, just not be recorded. I guess from the replies, that people wouldnt be able to figure it out, and I would just make them mad if I had to delete a bunch of logs. I guess I won't do it after all.

Sounds like i'd be excited when i found it, then annoyed and pissed off at you for not letting me drop/log the TB.

What exactly would you be upset about? I think it would be a cool idea. A surprise bug. Not sure what the big excitement would be to log a "drop." But if that gets you going........

I have a great idea:

Take a TB.....now, tether it to the cache. So normally, it's only discoverable, right? Fun yet? Except, I'll delete all discoveries, of course. Ok, now, if it's the 3rd Sunday of a leap year, you can take the TB off and place it around your neck. Now, you can retrieve it, but you can't place it quite yet. You must wear the TB for 5 months before dropping it off in another cache that has a volume of at least 5 liters and located at least 112 miles from the nearest road in a state that starts with "I". If you get within 5 miles of a cache (even if you don't find it), you MUST discover it from that cache...but only if the name of the cache starts with a Z or X....or a Y on the Sabbath. Now, once you have the tracking number tattooed to your chest.......

So that's my Travel Bug idea. I also have an idea for a TB Hotel. Ok, so, I place this wooden box above a wood chipper.......

I am working on a TB and coin drop box. You can log the drop off but no retreiving or discovering. As I do alot of traveling back east I can then get them moving and put some mileage on them. I have done this for some owners of TB motels already and it has worked out pretty good so far.

Does this mean only you can move them from the cache? That's not exactly playing fair, and not all bugs want to go east.

I am working on a TB and coin drop box. You can log the drop off but no retreiving or discovering. As I do alot of traveling back east I can then get them moving and put some mileage on them. I have done this for some owners of TB motels already and it has worked out pretty good so far.

Does this mean only you can move them from the cache? That's not exactly playing fair, and not all bugs want to go east.

I think he means that he goes East so if you have a bug that meets that goal you can drop it in the cache but then he takes over the you aren't allowed to Retrieve or Discover any other bug.

I say quit trying to manage my bug and just move the dang thing. I'm sure I can wait for the next bus heading East.

If I had to choose between people enjoying my bug and mileage, I choose people.

I think he means that he goes East so if you have a bug that meets that goal you can drop it in the cache but then he takes over the you aren't allowed to Retrieve or Discover any other bug.

I say quit trying to manage my bug and just move the dang thing. I'm sure I can wait for the next bus heading East.

Its all about free choice if you want a traveler to go back east then drop it off if not then dont its that simple and as far as people enjoying your traveler that can sometimes be the problem as you may never hear from it again. I just suggested an option for those of us that would like to see there traveler get out in the world before disappearing into oblivion as so many of them do. I have seen way to many TBs and coins not make it past there first cache and then there gone. The Idea would be for any TBs and coins wishing to go east to be then placed in caches and continue on there journey.

Edited by luke505

Its all about free choice if you want a traveler to go back east then drop it off if not then dont its that simple and as far as people enjoying your traveler that can sometimes be the problem as you may never hear from it again. I just suggested an option for those of us that would like to see there traveler get out in the world before disappearing into oblivion as so many of them do. I have seen way to many TBs and coins not make it past there first cache and then there gone. The Idea would be for any TBs and coins wishing to go east to be then placed in caches and continue on there journey.

For my travel bugs with goals, it's all about their journey to that goal. I don't want to see them on a fast track there. If they never make it, fine. I just want them to travel from cache to cache with cachers. I would be sad if one of my TBs got dropped in a cache that said they could not be retrieved or discovered.

For my travel bugs with goals, it's all about their journey to that goal. I don't want to see them on a fast track there. If they never make it, fine. I just want them to travel from cache to cache with cachers. I would be sad if one of my TBs got dropped in a cache that said they could not be retrieved or discovered.

Exactly. Well said.

On the back of the travel bug that we Purchase it states "I go from place to place picking up stories along the way". There is nothing about discovering. "Case Closed"

I fail to see how a discovery is inconsistent with this purpose. Doesn't a discovery constitute "picking up a story along the way"? :laughing:

On the back of the travel bug that we Purchase it states "I go from place to place picking up stories along the way". There is nothing about discovering. "Case Closed"

I fail to see how a discovery is inconsistent with this purpose. Doesn't a discovery constitute "picking up a story along the way"? :laughing:

A story for who, the cacher or the bug?

Sorry, I'm feeling snarky. What Discover log has ever been worth sharing? Very few and too far between.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'm new at this, but I've already figured out that to me it makes little sense to discover bugs as opposed to geocoins (for the icons). Last weekend I went to my first event and discovered the coins but only looked at the bugs. But the next day I did come on a situation where I decided to discover a bug and not move it. The bug had just been placed in the cache a couple days before; the cache it was in suited the bug's goal quite well, better than any cache I would move it to; and I wanted to take a picture of it. So I discovered, took the picture and posted it, and left it for someone else.

Sorry, I'm feeling snarky. What Discover log has ever been worth sharing? Very few and too far between.

A story for either or both. It would be ideal if every log brought joy to the TB owner and to the finder, but realistically most logs are doing pretty well if they bring joy to at least one of those two people.

Edited by UncleJimbo

I fail to see how a discovery is inconsistent with this purpose. Doesn't a discovery constitute "picking up a story along the way"? :ph34r:

Leave me try this again. IT,S A T--R--A--V--E--L B--U--G that means it travels from cache to cache.

You gotta be kidding! You mean to tell us that if somebody saw, handled, encountered one of your bugs and enjoyed it, then they took the time to log on to the site, perhaps write a discovery entry, that this would tick you off? Geez, maybe you need a new hobby! Yes it is a T-R-A-V-E-L B-U-G that also means that it is probably going to meet a lot of nice people along the way! If it BUGS you that much, delete the email without opening it.

Leave me try this again. IT,S A T--R--A--V--E--L B--U--G that means it travels from cache to cache.

You gotta be kidding! You mean to tell us that if somebody saw, handled, encountered one of your bugs and enjoyed it, then they took the time to log on to the site, perhaps write a discovery entry, that this would tick you off? Geez, maybe you need a new hobby! Yes it is a T-R-A-V-E-L B-U-G that also means that it is probably going to meet a lot of nice people along the way! If it BUGS you that much, delete the email without opening it.

Given a choice, I would rather see people move the bug along. Nothing wrong with having a dream of better things. ;)

Personally, I don't think discovering hurt anything. Those that are wiling to move a TB will do so. Those that won't now have a choice to discover it or leave it alone.

OK let's say there are five travel bugs in a cache and someone discovers all five of them. Or lets say there are ten travel bugs in a cache and someone discovers all ten of them without moveing five feet away from the cache do you think that is right? Boy it sure looks great on your profile. Hello

Edited by mobdic

Personally, I don't think discovering hurt anything. Those that are wiling to move a TB will do so. Those that won't now have a choice to discover it or leave it alone.

OK let's say there are five travel bugs in a cache and someone discovers all five of them. Or lets say there are ten travel bugs in a cache and someone discovers all ten of them without moveing five feet away from the cache do you think that is right? Boy it sure looks great on your profile. Hello

Better to discover them than take them and not move them toward their goal. Someone may also see them and not even discover them. Would that be more wrong to you? I don't personally care what someone's profile looks like. If you care about yours, then do what's "right" for you.

First - do no harm. Next, play the game as you see fit withing the guidelines (there are no rules) using the tools and options provided and have a good time doing so.

See the text you quoted? Hello

Yes, I think that is "right". Why not?

Moving a travel bug five feet away from a cache does not count as "traveling" since there is no way to log this movement.

I used to "discover" every coin and TB I came across. Lots in my profile. Wow.

Then I began to keep track of the TBs, and only the ones I moved meant anything.

Got more into the game, and realized these "Discoveries" were lame, and I didn't care about them.

Thought, It's about fun, and not numbers to me.

Went through and deleted every "Discovery" log, and only kept logs of those I actucally moved.

Of course, that's just me, To each his ( Or Her ) own.

TBs I own, when I get a Discovery log in my inbox, if occasional, I don't mind, at least lets me know the coin or TB is safe and sound. If I ended up getting 30 or 40 in one shot, that could be annoying.

I fail to see how a discovery is inconsistent with this purpose. Doesn't a discovery constitute "picking up a story along the way"? :rolleyes:

The discover logs I've gotten on my TB's usually are boring, and just one or 2 words. However, the discover logs serve a purpose in that they do let me know that my TB is still in a cache and not missing. I guess in that way, they become part of the TB's story.

I live in Cochabamba, Bolivia. There is only 1 cache (a virtual) in my city. I do not get to cache much, except on my occasional trips to the states.

I own 14 TB's because that is how I get to enjoy caching. I am currently in the states and hope to release a few more TB's before I go back to Bolivia.

I said all of that to say this...even a boring discover log is exciting to me, when I am so far away and can't cache. It keeps me in the game. So if you come across one of my TB's, discover it or move it either one, but please don't ignore it.

<snip> the discover logs serve a purpose in that they do let me know that my TB is still in a cache and not missing. <snip>

Yes, it does let you know, but how often did you really need to know? And if you did reach that point, wouldn't you have then wanted someone to actually move it?

Just throwing that out there. :rolleyes:

<snip> the discover logs serve a purpose in that they do let me know that my TB is still in a cache and not missing. <snip>

Yes, it does let you know, but how often did you really need to know? And if you did reach that point, wouldn't you have then wanted someone to actually move it?

Just throwing that out there. :lol:

That's a good point. I think we all always want them to move toward their goal. How often? For me, not very often. The only times I've wanted to know if my TB was still in a cache was if I had seen issues with a cache in which it was placed. I have one now that has fallen inside a metal fence pipe at Ichiro in Seattle and can't be retrieved. Guess that one won't be moved or discovered!

I like the "discover" option. If I find a bug but don't move it because I'm not going to be caching again for a while or the bug's goal is in the opposite direction that I'm heading then I normally write a "discover" log to let the owner know the bug's location and that it is still active.

Several of my travel bugs are stalled in caches and aren't moving for one reason or another. Sure, I would prefer that someone move the bug to another cache but if they can't or won't for whatever reason I still like to see a "discover" log to let me know the bug is okay. I keep pretty close tabs on my bugs and start getting worried if the cache it is in gets visited several times without anyone taking it or discovering it. In my experience, not many people post discover logs. I wish more did. Often I'll have a bug sit in a cache for months with no one discovering it or mentioning it in their cache log. I can't tell if the bug has been moved but not logged, dissappeared, or is just being ignored. A "discover" log lets me know everything is okay.

Besides, if the "discover" option were removed, you wouldn't want to go back to having people just log the bug out of the cache and right back into the same cache to get credit for it without really moving it would you? Those "Picking up" and "Putting down" logs were really annoying. Some people are going to want to get credit for finding TBs, even if they don't/won't/can't move them, and they will find a way to do this with or without the "discover" option. IMHO

Blue skies and happy caching!

Model Citizen - Zero Discipline