Mega Event: A Statement

Just out of idle curiosity what's the difference between a mega event and a non-mega one?

Yeah, I know, one of them's bigger, and there's some kind of official status of meganess conferred by Groundspeak, but how does that manifest itself? Different icon? Jeremy serves the drinks?

Just curious, that's all.

From the little experience I have of seeing others organise events, this same problem occurs frequently. A huge, and sometimes argumentative, debate is had about which date would be best. This can become so disheartening that those doing the organising end up wondering why they bothered to volunteer. The fact is that you CANNOT please everyone, no matter how hard you try. The best thing is just to let the committee get on with organising the event, let them decide on a date, and give them as much support as possible. My advice for any future event organisers is just to set a date and then announce it!

PS I will come whenever it is!

Edited to add: Snap G Force!

Edited by Firth of Forth

We are all familiar with the concept of the "Last date for posting" with Christmas mail -

A suggestion:

Everyone has had a good opportunity to have their say on the proposed Mega Event dates. Why not make midnight on 21st December 2007 the Last Date for posting on this thread and also the Mega event page?

Then temporarily close this thread and temporarily ask for no more logs on the Event Page until (e.g.) 27th December?

This would give everyone the chance to sit back, relax, enjoy their Christmas and allow the dust settle.

Normal service can then resume later :laughing:

MrsB

We are all familiar with the concept of the "Last date for posting" with Christmas mail -

A suggestion:

Everyone has had a good opportunity to have their say on the proposed Mega Event dates. Why not make midnight on 21st December 2007 the Last Date for posting on this thread and also the Mega event page?

Then temporarily close this thread and temporarily ask for no more logs on the Event Page until (e.g.) 27th December?

This would give everyone the chance to sit back, relax, enjoy their Christmas and allow the dust settle.

MrsB

Mrs B...

I thnk this is the best thing that has been posted on here in ages...

PLEASE can we let the dust settle?

A suggestion:

MrsB

Mrs B...

Amen to that - except perhaps the quiet period might last till 2nd January? :blink:

A suggestion:

MrsB

Mrs B...

Amen to that - except perhaps the quiet period might last till 2nd January? :blink:

Or, even better, until after the Committee have met :lol:

Just out of idle curiosity what's the difference between a mega event and a non-mega one?

Yeah, I know, one of them's bigger, and there's some kind of official status of meganess conferred by Groundspeak, but how does that manifest itself? Different icon? Jeremy serves the drinks?

Just curious, that's all.

Apart from the icon, to put it into perspective. the largest No's to ever have Attended a event in the UK is possibly around 160 [someone will confirm a actual figure] the average is maybe 40/50, to qualify for a Mega event there needs to be 500 persons there. Try and imagine 500 cachers all in one location at the same time :laughing:

A Mega Event is the UK caching Community's equivalent of the FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium [i won't say the England Team in the World Cup Final :blink: ] compared to a minor league football game. Both are special but one has a different atmosphere when compared to the other :lol:

What dust? there's been a little minor griping and debate about dates and venues (and a very slight amount of bickering), but that's only to be expected at this stage. Once a bit of detail appears about the proposed timetable of events, there will be plenty of positive feedback and it will all start to seem worthwhile.

Hats off to the Harrogate Hunters and can we have no more moaning about the location please it must be pretty demoralising.

I went to school in Harrogate and my headmaster used to bang on non-stop about how Harrogate was the most central town in the country being half way between the east coast and the west and half way between John O' Groats and Lands End.

Mind he was quite bonkers so there is no need to post here telling me that he was wrong. I know he was wrong about all sorts and probably this too.

By the way, I no longer live in Harrogate having defected south so I will be traveling from the hinterlands. I'm sure that there will be plenty of car sharing going on.

PP

No we won't!

[panto mode] Oh yes we will! [/panto mode]

MrsB (slapping her leather-booted thigh, in traditional swash-buckling manner) :)

Is that a thigh-length leather boot, perchance? Or just yer standard thigh, rising atop some comedy pixie-type short leather booties, which does nothing for me.

Is that a thigh-length leather boot, perchance? Or just yer standard thigh, rising atop some comedy pixie-type short leather booties, which does nothing for me.

Just for you, here's some I wore earlier, while doing some planning notes for attending the Mega Event next year...

antonia2.jpg

(You notice how I cunningly kept On Topic there? :) )

MrsB

Just for you, here's some I wore earlier, while doing some planning notes for attending the Mega Event next year...

antonia2.jpg

(You notice how I cunningly kept On Topic there? :lol: )

MrsB

That should boost numbers!! :lol::):)

No we won't!

[panto mode] Oh yes we will! [/panto mode]

MrsB (slapping her leather-booted thigh, in traditional swash-buckling manner) :)

don't be silly jerry a pixie boot would come up to her neck

W

:lol: :lol: H :):)

I have managed to book the first weekend of August off, so I am now available for both dates.

My advice for any future event organisers is just to set a date and then announce it!

That is precisely what I do. Seen it far to many times people asking and then the difference of opinions start. Go for what you are able to organise. If people are serious they will come.

WELL DONE THE COMMITTEE FOR THE THANKLESS TASK!!

I AM BEHIND YOU!!

I still would have been behind you if I couldn't have made it either.

We coming all the way from the very tip of Northern Ireland so why complain!!!!

It's really very simple if you think about it carefully, you either want to go to the event and mark it as such or you dont want to go in which case dont write a long log as to why you cant make it. All the organizers are trying to establish is the date and getting the numbers in, SIMPLE!!! Apparently not.

Lets just support the organizers and let them know how many people are coming and in so doing we can all have a fabulous time and get that icon we all want.

my earlier comments were not directed at any particular person, or indeed any particular individuals, just meant as a general statement with no offence intended to anyone at all....seems some others agree with me anyway, however if this is what I expect to find when I attend the event:

antonia2.jpg[/img]

Perhaps there won't be 6 of us attending after all! might just be 1!!!

Thank goodness Mrs Rastan doesn't browse these forums... :lol::):)

antonia2.jpg

(You notice how I cunningly kept On Topic there? :lol: )

MrsB

That photo is a fake :)

MrsB's Chaise lounge is RED errrr allegedly :)

People who have met me regularly will realise that i dont mince my words and so forgive me if i go on a little bit of a rant!

1) Would people please grow up and stop whineing about travel costs and fuel consumpsions. As you probably know i travel to all events by train. This is Very expensive but i will travel anywhere.

2) Dates: People seem to be obsessed with the fact that 1 date is in the school term and one isnt. HH organises 2 events a year, both in term time and people travel to them, people organise camp events (such as shropshire or Argyll). You travel to those and dont complain so stop with the negitive comments and get behind the committee.

People who have met me regularly will realise that i dont mince my words and so forgive me if i go on a little bit of a rant!

1) Would people please grow up and stop whineing about travel costs and fuel consumpsions. As you probably know i travel to all events by train. This is Very expensive but i will travel anywhere.

2) Dates: People seem to be obsessed with the fact that 1 date is in the school term and one isnt. HH organises 2 events a year, both in term time and people travel to them, people organise camp events (such as shropshire or Argyll). You travel to those and dont complain so stop with the negitive comments and get behind the committee.

1. Easily said - do you travel on your own?

2. Getting a few dozen to attend an event in term time is straightforward. Even for those with children it isn't necessarily a problem if they live close by. If you want to get 500 people to attend an event you have to make a choice of the best possible date. Choosing one in term time will obviously limit attendance. Getting behind the committee is all very well, but being a committee member also means listening to the geocaching community - after all we have 20-odd thousand other caches we could go to instead

The Netherlands have got their Mega Event listed as such, and they haven't even started registration yet?

I assume this one has MEGA event status as its an annual event?

From the guidelines

A Mega-Event cache is similar to an Event Cache but it is much larger. In order to qualify as a Mega Event, the event cache must be attended by 500+ people. Typically, Mega Events are annual events and attract geocachers from all over the world.

Does that mean Groundspeak will automatically grant MEGA status to an annual event?

Swindon 2009 anyone?? :lol:B)B)

The Netherlands have got their Mega Event listed as such, and they haven't even started registration yet?

From the guidelines

A Mega-Event cache is similar to an Event Cache but it is much larger. In order to qualify as a Mega Event, the event cache must be attended by 500+ people. Typically, Mega Events are annual events and attract geocachers from all over the world.

Does that mean Groundspeak will automatically grant MEGA status to an annual event?

You have 500 people attend.

I applied for mega status for shropshire a few years ago.

The upshot of the application was the need for 500 people to attend.

I understand our request led to a long debate in the reviewers forum on just what a mega event should and should not be.

Looking at the figures for will attend on the cache page im sure if the committee applied for mega status now it would be given as the extra advertising it gives would shurely push the event over the limit.

Note mega status can be taken away if insufficient people turn up.

From the guidelines

I understand our request led to a long debate in the reviewers forum on just what a mega event should and should not be.

Looking at the figures for will attend on the cache page im sure if the committee applied for mega status now it would be given as the extra advertising it gives would shurely push the event over the limit.

I know that the UK organising team are not promoting or considering what I am about to suggest but if it was to get me an extra icon what's to stop my wife,my kids, their teddies and my dog suddenly all wanting their own individual caching profile? :lol:

I know that the UK organising team are not promoting or considering what I am about to suggest but if it was to get me an extra icon what's to stop my wife,my kids, their teddies and my dog suddenly all wanting their own individual caching profile? B)

That would not affect the numbers counted for a mega-event, as the requirement is for 500 PEOPLE to attend, not caching teams. That is why it is important to state how many people will be in your group when logging a "will attend".

edit to add, can't comment about the teddies and the dog though :lol:

Edited by The Royles

From the guidelines

Swindon 2009 anyone?? B)B):lol:

:lol:

I know that the UK organising team are not promoting or considering what I am about to suggest but if it was to get me an extra icon what's to stop my wife,my kids, their teddies and my dog suddenly all wanting their own individual caching profile? :huh:

It's based on attendee's not accounts, as long as you have enough names in the logbook you get the icon. Probably best for the committee to get the date sorted finally, see who drops off the log then apply I would have thought.

It's based on attendee's not accounts, as long as you have enough names in the logbook you get the icon. Probably best for the committee to get the date sorted finally, see who drops off the log then apply I would have thought.

Ok fair enough. I didn't know it worked like that. Is it policed at all? How do the powers that be actually know if 500 people attend or not. Otherwise (here we go again :lol: ), my wife might decide to bring her Aunt Maureen, Uncle Derek , cousin Fred and I might bring my friend Bob etc etc.

Please don't think I am mocking the mega event as I would like to go (and to be honest about my companions on the day), but it sounds to me like someone at Groundspeak is having a little ego trip, "you must have 500 people or you can't have the special icon". Personally I would like to go, just so I get to go to a new place and meet some new cachers, and if it doesn't reach 500 then they can keep their icon!

Please don't think I am mocking the mega event as I would like to go (and to be honest about my companions on the day), but it sounds to me like someone at Groundspeak is having a little ego trip, "you must have 500 people or you can't have the special icon". Personally I would like to go, just so I get to go to a new place and meet some new cachers, and if it doesn't reach 500 then they can keep their icon!

I kinda agree. It will be a huge one off event even if it doesn't quite reach 500. Certainly the biggest the UK will see. Gotta be worth that icon.

I kinda agree. It will be a huge one off event even if it doesn't quite reach 500. Certainly the biggest the UK will see. Gotta be worth that icon.

That is exactly how we (the shrops cmittee) felt.

We felt that a mega event should be either the biggest event in that country in terms of attendees or have a certain % of the active cachers attending.

For example there is no chance of the IOM ever hosting a mega event with these rules.

Unfortunately GC did not agree :lol: i may have copies of the emails somewhere if anyone is interested)

Ok fair enough. I didn't know it worked like that. Is it policed at all? How do the powers that be actually know if 500 people attend or not. Otherwise (here we go again :lol: ), my wife might decide to bring her Aunt Maureen, Uncle Derek , cousin Fred and I might bring my friend Bob etc etc.

I know that Groundspeak tries to have a representative at each North American Mega event, but they are not there to count heads. You could, of course, find that there are only 430 names in the book and go round the campsite getting non-participants to add their names in a barely-legible hand. But then you can also claim to have found a cache when you didn't. In either case, if you go about it the right way, you might get away with it for a while, but eventually you would get found out. I don't think I'd want my credibility with the greater community to be put at risk by either practice, and I think that if you were caught cheating in 2008, you could say goodbye to the Mega icon for some time to come. (Put yourself in Groundspeak's hiking boots for a minute.)

I think it's perhaps a little excessive to call this "an ego trip". The bar has been set at 500, presumably for good or bad (and, yes, partly arbitrary) marketing reasons, and this was done some time ago. An ego trip would be if there was individual horse-trading going on ("Oh OK then, I, <insert name of marketing lackey> will allow you to have a Mega event if you can get 100/200/300 people"). Having a fixed rule and sticking to it may be regarded as "inflexible" if you want to be pejorative or "consistent" if you want to be laudatory, but I don't think "ego trip" covers it.

We felt that a mega event should be either the biggest event in that country in terms of attendees or have a certain % of the active cachers attending.

For example there is no chance of the IOM ever hosting a mega event with these rules.

Unfortunately GC did not agree B) i may have copies of the emails somewhere if anyone is interested)

If certain countries aren't big enough for an event cache, I think it's reasonable to describe that as a moderately unfortunate consequence of political geography, rather than some kind of unfairness or negligence by Groundspeak (who, it should perhaps not be forgotten, invented the Mega event along with, er, well, most of the sport really). I hope it doesn't sounding too crass if I point out that there's not a big chance of the Isle of Man hosting the Commonwealth games either.

Three years ago I hosted the first-ever event in France; it attracted 40 teams and 95 people, at a time when there were probably 7 active cachers in the whole country. That's still a record for the number of participants at an event in France, even though we now have several hundred active cachers. Should it have been a Mega event because I managed to get 600% of the country's cachers to attend? Probably not. I don't think it's a Mega event if the organisers can fit everyone onto their lawn. B)

Which is a way of saying: by definition one event per year in each country is the biggest; and you can't say which one it is until 31st December. And I'm not sure how anyone defines "active cachers". The only thing you can objectively count is paid-up premium members, and I don't think anybody would want to go down that route.

Personally I think there's enough inflation in the game as it is (for example, proximity guidelines being constantly stretched, "Oh go on, 510 feet's almost the same as 528", then "492 feet is almost the same as 510", etc). It's always difficult when rules which inevitably have an arbitrary component to them (why a multiple of the square of the number of fingers on most peoples' arms?) get in the way of our view of the world, but sometimes we have to accept that it's better to have an arbitrary rule which everyone can understand, than a special exception for "us", because in the end, everyone is part of their own special "us". (You don't have to be a great fan of the British royal family to see that at least it's an easy way of choosing the head of state.)

Or as this man would put it: "Rules are rules - and if we didn't have rules, where would we be? France!".

380.jpg

Edited by sTeamTraen