Caches no one has found

blb9556

Look at this cache (Visit link) No one has attempted it in a year and the owner hasn't logged on in a very long time. Should this be archived?

Neither issue presented is a problem by itself. Taken together they are still not a problem.

If the cache is missing and the owner won't fix it in the due course of time then yes. Until it's confirmed missing though, there isn't a problem.

Look at this cache (Visit link) No one has attempted it in a year and the owner hasn't logged on in a very long time. Should this be archived?

Much as Renegade Knight has already said, neither point which you raise is at all a problem or even a minor issue in and of itself, nor do the two facts together comprise a problem or even a minor issue. My radar is telling me that there is likely WAAAY more here than meets the eye! :( So, let me ask you, since you have not yet disclosed it to us: What is your interest in this matter? What is your agenda?

I also notice that you have only twenty finds on your account to date. Since the cache in question is a Difficulty 5 puzzle cache, it might be better for you to wait until you have at least a hundred finds and a number of less-difficult puzzles under your belt before you attempt to tackle this cache.

Lastly, the title of your thread is misleading, it gives an entirely incorrect impression of the cache and its find history. It is not at all true that no one has found this cache. And, in any case, some of the best caches, particularly those with high D/T ratings and/or those located in remote areas, only see one or two finds a year at most, and sometimes far fewer than that.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I don't totally disagree with the OP here. At least, I do think that it would not be unfair to email the owner. The last two posters said that the cache had water in it, and yet it hasn't been maintained (OK... yeah, that does happen even with many active hiders, but it is a point to consider) , the last finder reported muggles nearby and others have mentioned problems in the past with that park.

Of course, the time elapsed since the last find is totally irrelevant unless there have been a number of DNFs since then.

There's also a number of transformations you will need to do, including:

Hexidecimal to Decimal

Decimal to Binary

Decimal to ASCII

ROT13 conversion

And that's not all of it.

Maybe it get slow traffic because, oh....I don't know...you need a PhD to figure it out? Actually, I do have a PhD and I'm still not going to attempt it....

I have one in my area that has been missing for a long time and it's still posted and the person isn't a active cacher.

Different story totally. If it's confirmed missing and the owner isn't active, a "needs archived" log is in order.

As for the cache that the OP referred to, I agree with the others that it's a non issue until it's confirmed missing.

I have had two different caches that went 12 months+ with no logs. I eventually archived one. However, I intend to maintain the other indefinitely as I use this waypoint to center PQs around. Folks do a lot of things with caches. My in-laws live in the middle of a national forest and getting lost is easy. I hid a cache near their house so I can always find my way back out of the woods by auto routing to that cache. When viewed from this perspective, no a cache with no finds ever whose owner never logs in should not be archived. Only if there are permission issues or many DNFs and the owner won't check and verify the cache should one be archived.

I have had two different caches that went 12 months+ with no logs. I eventually archived one. However, I intend to maintain the other indefinitely as I use this waypoint to center PQs around. Folks do a lot of things with caches. My in-laws live in the middle of a national forest and getting lost is easy. I hid a cache near their house so I can always find my way back out of the woods by auto routing to that cache. When viewed from this perspective, no a cache with no finds ever whose owner never logs in should not be archived. Only if there are permission issues or many DNFs and the owner won't check and verify the cache should one be archived.

That's very interesting. I have managed to accomplishment the same thing by setting a waypoint in my good ole Meridian Gold. That feature comes in real handy when you don't happen to have a cache container in your hip pocket. :P:P:P

That's very interesting. I have managed to accomplishment the same thing by setting a waypoint in my good ole Meridian Gold. That feature comes in real handy when you don't happen to have a cache container in your hip pocket. :P:P:P
Even if you want to use a waypoint to center your PQ's on, I'm pretty sure you can do so on an archived cache, as the coords are still on the listing, which is still on the site. If the only reason for letting the listing stand is for PQ's, that seems a waste. I'll assume that your stated reason isn't the only one.

No!! The cache was placed in 2004, and most of the locals with the ability to solve it have already been there. Take for example, MP#2,

MP#3 and MP#5. All placed by the same person (in 04-05), in the same general area, no finders in well over a year. There's also a MP#1 and #4, but they've been found this year. No one I know of questions that they aren't there, or thinks they should be archived.

But I'll give you that the owner in this case is not a fanatical geocacher, and hasn't logged in for over 6 months. But I'd give much more time before even thinking about archival.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel