Another good reason for ammo cans....

StarBrand

Snow? What's that stuff? :(

Kinda my feelings about 110+ degree heat...

The only cache I did find was a good old solid metal ammo can.

There's something satisfying about the sound of a hiking stick tapping (or a boot kicking) that hollow metal box under the snow. :)

Well said... My feelings exactly on BOTH items!

Actually, we're suffering from a serious snow deficiency hereabouts right now.

Not from Global Warming, as it's only 4ºF outside right now...

It DOES make traveling those swamps a lot easier!

It seems amazing that any cache hider in snow country would place a cache on the ground. :) Most of mine are well out of the snow line and findable in all seasons without digging or breaking containers.

The nerve of some inconsiderate boobs, eh? :D:D:D

I have quite a few in snow country (in the Eastern Sierra) and the snow is what makes them a 5/5 for half of the year or more. :):)

If I hid them above the snow line, you'd need a ladder to get to them in the summer. Six of one...... :)

BTW- All the ones you'd have to dig for are ammo cans, so a shovel won't break 'em. :)

Went out for some Geocaching the other day and mostly struck out. The 12 - 15" of snow we have received in the past 2 weeks is making it difficut. The only cache I did find was a good old solid metal ammo can.

Need more of those.......

I've got a few newbie questions for you. If the cache isn't showing that it has been found in the winter months, is it a good idea to contact the cache owner and inquire about the durability of the container before seeking it out? I would imagine that most finds in the snow are more tactile than visual.

How do you folks use the snow attribute and what is exactly does it mean? There could be snow in the area or that it is findable in the snow?

Snow around here is the stuff of legends.

***Went out for some Geocaching the other day and mostly struck out. The 12 - 15" of snow we have received in the past 2 weeks is making it difficut. The only cache I did find was a good old solid metal ammo can.***

Are you blaming the Snow for falling on a Cache?

Hey, there's an IDEA....a Cache Umbrella...stick it in the ground next to the cache to protect it from the elements.....LOL.

***Went out for some Geocaching the other day and mostly struck out. The 12 - 15" of snow we have received in the past 2 weeks is making it difficut. The only cache I did find was a good old solid metal ammo can.***

Hey, there's an IDEA....a Cache Umbrella...stick it in the ground next to the cache to protect it from the elements.....LOL.

I've got a better idea! How about hooking up an electric heater to the ammo cans, with a thermostat? That way, whenever it gets below 0, the heater kicks in and keeps any snow off it. ;)

I've got a better idea! How about hooking up an electric heater to the ammo cans, with a thermostat? That way, whenever it gets below 0, the heater kicks in and keeps any snow off it. ;)

"Found cache in puddle of water in the middle of a snow bank...replaced soaked log and replaced batteries for cache heater. TFTC!"

The one thing that keeps getting to me is how everyone seems to be going to the almost impossible to find micros. I do this for fun and the enjoyment of being outdoors. Give me an ammo can any day that I can find and enjoy. Then I have been out and been successful and have soaked up some sun.

The one thing that keeps getting to me is how everyone seems to be going to the almost impossible to find micros. I do this for fun and the enjoyment of being outdoors. Give me an ammo can any day that I can find and enjoy. Then I have been out and been successful and have soaked up some sun.

Ammo cans definitely have their place, but I hiked a trail today that goes through an area devastated by fire in the summer of 2006. In order to limit any off-trail walking while the area recovers, I hid several micro and small containers that can be found without leaving the trail. An ammo can just would not work in those locations. ;) So, the choice is either micro or small containers along that trail . . . or no caches at all . . . :rolleyes:

I do have an ammo can at the end of the long trail. That is the most practical container for a remote location at the end of a long hike. I'm hopeful it will last for years without any maintenance. :D

Went out for some Geocaching the other day and mostly struck out. The 12 - 15" of snow we have received in the past 2 weeks is making it difficut. The only cache I did find was a good old solid metal ammo can.

Need more of those.......

The only time I've cached in snow was three years ago in the Rockies in Colorado. We found one cache and it was an ammo can. We still have to unbury it from the snow. A micro would have been impossible unless it was hidden up high in a tree.

1,400 ammo cans in the snow

7ef91d25-1812-4cc8-ae99-ea7713cb5e2b.jpg

Only one contains the logbook. You have to figure out which one. Bring something to cut the metal bands holding the cans to the pallets.

Oh, and it's a moving cache. That picture was taken in Winnemucca, Nevada. The cache is now in California. :rolleyes:

Dayum! What a sight that is.