Visiting BC

Fjon

I'll be visiting BC from Ireland for about 10 days in a few months time. I'm hoping to have quite a bit of time to do some caches in the area, and am currently trying to put together an itinerary.

I'll be arriving in Vancouver, heading east towards Kelowna and Vernon, then through Kamloops to Whistler, and finally a few days in the Pacific Rim Park/ Long Beach and Victoria.

So are there any areas around there that I should absolutely check out? I enjoy country caches more than urban ones, and like ones with a bit of a walk (although nothing too long or strenous). I'd imagine there are quite a few caches with nice scenery and the like around the area.

Oh, and I will of course be renting a car!

Any advice you could give me would be great!

I'll be visiting BC from Ireland for about 10 days in a few months time. I'm hoping to have quite a bit of time to do some caches in the area, and am currently trying to put together an itinerary.

I'll be arriving in Vancouver, heading east towards Kelowna and Vernon, then through Kamloops to Whistler, and finally a few days in the Pacific Rim Park/ Long Beach and Victoria.

So are there any areas around there that I should absolutely check out? I enjoy country caches more than urban ones, and like ones with a bit of a walk (although nothing too long or strenous). I'd imagine there are quite a few caches with nice scenery and the like around the area.

Oh, and I will of course be renting a car!

Any advice you could give me would be great!

Hello

Highway #1 West

Take the bridal Falls exit

Chiliwacks first

Othelo Tunnels

This is a must do

Take Highway # 3 East

Hope Slide Earthcache

Wild Rhododendron

They probally won't be blooming ;)

Engineers Road

Manning Mystery

Might still be lot's of snow, nice drive up to the ski hill though

Silver will get you red

Shamless plug, nice hike on the TCT

i Clues to our treasures

Another plug for mine

It's Hedley

Red as the Bridge

Ok another shameless plug

Lot's to do in Penticton

Pent ic ton Surprise

Yackys Giant

Another must do

This should help you to start

Edited by MercRocks

Hi there, I live in Penticton. You could try doing KVR Stroll, KVR Walk, KVR Hike (6km round trip on the Trans Canada Trail on an old rail bed). I have a ball field series, but they're pretty urban.

Not sure if you can do all of these in the winter though, we placed/found most of these when there was no snow.

Just north of us is Summerland with more caches along the TCT. "Because You're Mine", "I Walk the Line" You can get to by going up Canyon View Road and crossing the tressel. "Quail Trail", "The Perch", and "For the dogs..." you can get to by turning on Rosedale Ave and following the signs for the KVR Steam train to the station where there's a small TCT parking lot. Another good one in Summerland is "A little Bird told Me"

On the way to Kelowna you can stop in Peachland and Westbank and get some of the caches along the highway. I have a cache in Peachland called "Peachland" which is a forest walk, but it's not too difficult.

In Westbank there's "Reid & Claire's Forest Cache", "Morningside Cache", "OK Pinot Noir" (wouldn't recommend doing the other 3 in this area if there's snow).

Kelowna: "Misson Creek Park", "Moes Mission Cache", "Max's Mission Cache"

In Oyama there's "Oyama Been Laughin"

In Vernon: "The Last Kekuli", "Holiday Stash", "Double Delight - Welcome to the Neighbourhood" (we just did this one last weekend), and there's several in Polson Park.

If you want any more information about these, please don't hesitate to contact me. Hope you have a good caching trip!

:blink:

I had a fantastic time in Kamloops. A special thanks to the BC Geocaching Association for the Geocaching 101 event cache. It was a perfect way to introduce my friend to Geocaching, and meet some locals at the same time.

We did 5 Caches in the days we went out, plus the 3 from the Geocaching 101 day. We didn't do any of the in town "drive up" type caches, just a few up in the hills. I would recommend every one of the caches we did to anyone interested in seeing beautiful views, and doing some reasonable hiking.

There are 2 caches in Kenna Cartwright Park that would be good together. We did Duffy's Pub and left Doug Daws Tribute for another visit.

Two others that would make for a nice day are Mara Loop and Mara Relief. We did the Mara Relief cache one day, later in the afternoon, so we went back the following day for Mara Loop, and then hiked across country to Carolyn's Tranquille Pools. It was a good hike, with some steep hills.

Another cache that was a good long hike, because of our lack of a 4X4 and our willingness to break off the trail and hike across country, was Dew Drop #1. There are several caches in the same area that would go well with this one if you were driving in when there was no snow (or if you can drive on snow/ice covered roads).

We also placed a cache. We're just waiting for Mollie's Reach to be approved.

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope our experience will help with your trip biggrin.gif

I've publicly bookmarked a few of what I consider the best caches on the South part of Vancouver Island. I think you may view it through accessing my profile. There are only about 5 on there, as I was pretty selective.

Our Big Fat Liar Cache didn't make it onto the list :unsure: Hmmpf! I'm gonna go right down there today and take out the new Colorado that I left in it for you last weekend :lol::lol:

I'd like to add a '1dan' cache on Mount Doug called 'Sick and Twisted' to the South Island recommendations ;) . It's all about quality ;)

I'd recommend Kinnikinnick (GC136XR) in East Sooke Regional Park. Awesome multi along one of the most scenic trails I've done to date on the Island. You can pick up a couple of other caches while you are out there as well.

I second the vote for Sick and Twisted, great trails and even greater hides, but I believe stage 3 is currently out of commission and correspondence with 1dan is required to finish the cache