New Environment Canada geocoin

ECplus3

Environment Canada has created a geocoin for 2007, and hopes that this will be the first in a series to highlight projects managed by the department. This year's coin spotlights the 'Geocache Your Watershed' project.

ec2007geocoin.jpg

250 of these coins were produced. 70 coins have so far been distributed, but only a dozen or so activated at this point.

About the Project

Geocache Your Watershed is an exciting pilot project of Environment Canada and is an innovative way to involve students, teachers and the public in water-related issues. The goal of this project is to promote the discovery of local watersheds by students and the general public. The basic concept is to encourage high schools throughout Canada to research their watershed and develop stories or other promotional products that will be used to build geocaches.

The students will then hide these caches for the ever-growing geocaching community to discover -- allowing their knowledge to be transferred in a fun and engaging way.

Environment Canada's Know Your Watershed web site, established last year, will serve as an important resource for researching watershed information and providing Geocache your Watershed material for students and teachers. The Geocache Your Watershed project will be included as part of the Know Your Watershed web site.

Know Your Watershed

Very cool! How are the coins being distributed?? Can you purchase them?

Sorry, no. The coins are not being sold. Most are being distributed to participating high schools across the country. They probably won't be released in the wild until April when the weather improves and teachers have had a chance to put together projects for their students.

A few coins have been given out as prizes at events in Atlantic Canada and others have been given to Environment Canada employees who hopefully will release them much sooner. I hope to have mine out in the wild before the end of the year.

There was some thought given to making a larger run and selling some of the coins. But it is a risky proposition when you are spending taxpayer money :( and in the end the department went with the smaller run. However, the response I've gotten just showing my coin off at local events might make it possible to produce larger runs of future coins.

Perhaps a petition should be started :)

Very cool! How are the coins being distributed?? Can you purchase them?

Sorry, no. The coins are not being sold. Most are being distributed to participating high schools across the country. They probably won't be released in the wild until April when the weather improves and teachers have had a chance to put together projects for their students.

A few coins have been given out as prizes at events in Atlantic Canada and others have been given to Environment Canada employees who hopefully will release them much sooner. I hope to have mine out in the wild before the end of the year.

There was some thought given to making a larger run and selling some of the coins. But it is a risky proposition when you are spending taxpayer money :huh: and in the end the department went with the smaller run. However, the response I've gotten just showing my coin off at local events might make it possible to produce larger runs of future coins.

Perhaps a petition should be started :huh:

Hopefully, there was/is an informational card that goes with them to get them interested :lol: !

Maybe come April, they can find there way south of the border :huh: