New Etrex Vista HCX Software Ver.2.50

ehuber

wow I know a few who will be sad... no word about the trip odometer thing.

I bet the french translation was left untouched... I'll know more after the update and if nothing changed here then they will hear of me again.

With only 2 changes, it looks like it's almost the final update.

wow I know a few who will be sad... no word about the trip odometer thing.

I bet the french translation was left untouched... I'll know more after the update and if nothing changed here then they will hear of me again.

With only 2 changes, it looks like it's almost the final update.

Edited: Confused GPS SW and Firmware.

Edited by extremecarver

I emailed Garmin about the v2.50 Unit Software update for some clarification of the 2 issues they addressed and also if they were still working on the Trip Computer "bug". Here is their response:

I understand the confusion. I will be happy to clarify for you.

The following update key points listed on our site are in reference to the following:

Remove the turn backlight on action when unit was turn on

Basically the backlight will not auto turn on when the unit is first powered on.

Fix turn off issue when using Mobile XT with MPC maps

Mobile XT cards are used in Russian units so we are supporting them.

In respect to the Trip Computer bug, yes, I expect we will see it soon. It has not been overlooked.

I am sorry for the delays on this issue.

So, it looks like we can expect to see a 2.60 at some point. :P

I emailed Garmin about the v2.50 Unit Software update for some clarification of the 2 issues they addressed and also if they were still working on the Trip Computer "bug". Here is their response:

I understand the confusion. I will be happy to clarify for you.

The following update key points listed on our site are in reference to the following:

Remove the turn backlight on action when unit was turn on

Basically the backlight will not auto turn on when the unit is first powered on.

Fix turn off issue when using Mobile XT with MPC maps

Mobile XT cards are used in Russian units so we are supporting them.

In respect to the Trip Computer bug, yes, I expect we will see it soon. It has not been overlooked.

I am sorry for the delays on this issue.

So, it looks like we can expect to see a 2.60 at some point. :)

Any other issues that need to be fixed or is this the last "major" one? Looks good so far... :)

Any other issues that need to be fixed or is this the last "major" one? Looks good so far... :)

No Bugs

but this feature is needed urgently: Reading tracks and routes and waypoints from µSD-card

i emailed GARMIN that on 09 March 2007 - the answer was:

This has been passed onto the software developers as a suggestion for future enhancements. However, we can not guarantee that this will happen but it has been passed on for evaluation.

@mass-trax Thanks - this was a very important information

Edited by freeday

No Bugs

How about:

1. Recording an ambient pressure value of 0 just when the unit is switched on. Screws the graphs up.

2. Not graphing pressure over time if GPS (not the unit) or Track Logs switched off

3. Displaying an EPE circle massively larger than the size of the claimed numerical EPE (with no maps enabled, so it isn't factoring the map accuracy into the circle). Which is correct?

4. Triggered proximity/speed alert POI icons not visible unless zoomed in to 80m

5. Huge red "Speed Alert" box that obscures most of the map screen, so even if the icon was visible at any zoom level (the way the older units do it) you wouldn't have much chance of seeing it anyway.

Note: My Vista Cx would show the speed camera icons of a proximity warning at the 300-500m zoom levels I use when driving so you could see where the alert was. The HCX doesn't even let you establish if the POI triggered at 1000m+ is even on the same road you are. No Icon + huge red box = useless feature.

6. Unstable & laggy speed readout even at motorway cruising speeds (compared to Vista Cx). Sorry, but our car's cruise control doesn't do ±3kph on a flat motorway on a still day - not according to any GPS that's been in it (my Cx, a friend's TomTom & a couple of different Magellans) except the HCx.

7. Extremely poor rejection of multipath signals. I consider this a bug. If you're going to make a 'high sensitivity' receiver, then you should deal with all the implications of that.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but it wasn't cheap and most of those problems don't exist on the Cx. Personally I wish I still had a working Cx, but it died and disappeared in transit to Garmin UK, which is what prompted me to buy the lemon. Of course, if I hadn't owned a Cx, I wouldn't know any better and would likely be reasonably happy with the HCx. As it stands, however, I'm not impressed.

Hi I'm brand new to the World of GPS and Caching. I just got a Vista HCx and am yet to update to Version 2.50.

I was wondering what an update wipes when you do it. Obviously I will take out the microSD. Will it wipe all the settings and tracks / waypoints that you have on the GPS.

Thanks Matt

Hi I'm brand new to the World of GPS and Caching. I just got a Vista HCx and am yet to update to Version 2.50.

I was wondering what an update wipes when you do it. Obviously I will take out the microSD. Will it wipe all the settings and tracks / waypoints that you have on the GPS.

Thanks Matt

It just removes/reinstalls the system software. It doesn't change any of your settings and it does not affect any data (waypoints etc.) that you have stored in the unit. It won't disturb stored maps and you don't have to remove your microSD.

Thanks Matt

It just removes/reinstalls the system software. It doesn't change any of your settings and it does not affect any data (waypoints etc.) that you have stored in the unit. It won't disturb stored maps and you don't have to remove your microSD.

a side note if you ever install an older version of the unit software it will reset the unit and you will loose all your waypoints, tracks, routes and settings.

3. Displaying an EPE circle massively larger than the size of the claimed numerical EPE (with no maps enabled, so it isn't factoring the map accuracy into the circle). Which is correct?

If you have no maps enabled, then it's using the basemap resolution, which is horrible and that's why the circle is so large (because the poor map quantization means it can't display your location on the map you any more precisely than "somewhere within the circle"). When you have routable maps installed, the circle radius pretty much matches your reported accuracy.

If you have no maps enabled, then it's using the basemap resolution, which is horrible and that's why the circle is so large (because the poor map quantization means it can't display your location on the map you any more precisely than "somewhere within the circle"). When you have routable maps installed, the circle radius pretty much matches your reported accuracy.

I fully understand your point - I make my own maps. However, if I have no maps enabled then it means I have the basemap disabled too. This is the situation where the circle should be smallest since there's no map (in)accuracy to consider. The circle does not match the EPE. Not even close.

If I enable a map with 24bit precision Level0 (2.4m grid) then I would expect the circle radius to be EPE+2.4m. It isn't - again, it's much bigger.

Ultimately, it's not a show stopper since it doesn't affect navigation in any way, but I think it's a bug nonetheless.