Dipping for mileage

HB-vanislelady

Just need some input here on a situation that I have noticed regarding one of my coins. It seems that it was picked up more than a month ago and the cacher who has it in their possesion is dipping it in caches for mileage as they travel rather than leaving it there. It has now been dipped several times. I have noticed that this cacher is doing the same thing to at least six other trackables.

I will state right now that this practice bothers me and I don't know how to politely ask that they drop the coin off and stop carrying it with them.

Any suggestions?

Just need some input here on a situation that I have noticed regarding one of my coins. It seems that it was picked up more than a month ago and the cacher who has it in their possesion is dipping it in caches for mileage as they travel rather than leaving it there. It has now been dipped several times. I have noticed that this cacher is doing the same thing to at least six other trackables.

I will state right now that this practice bothers me and I don't know how to politely ask that they drop the coin off and stop carrying it with them.

Any suggestions?

Funny, I just noticed the same thing only I know who the cacher is-he's just a kid who really likes my coin...but he doesn't travel very far. I don't know what to do either.

To be honest, it doesn't bother me to see a cacher taking the time to dip and log my coin as they are traveling. They usually drop it at the last location at the end of their journey. We had a number of coins in a race this year and the cacher was nice enough to log and post pictures, they knew from the mission that it wanted to log miles. If it really bothers you, just shoot them a essage stating that you would like multi cachers to carry and move your coin. Based on their posts you should be able to tell if they are on a vacation. or trip. I know if someone didn't want me to carry and log their coin I would drop it in the next cache I came to and wish it luck.

At least you know your coin is traveling, there are many of us who has had coins go awol for months if not years.

Good luck

Just tell it straight.....a smiley always helps. <_<

"Thanks for taking the time to allow my geocoin to travel. Could you please leave it into the next available cache so as others can enjoy moving this coin as much as you have. Thanks again. :blink: "

mm

ayep.

Seems like a good way to ask and if there is some reason why else, they can they can respond just as friendly.

Works for me.

It doesn't bother me when that happens. Actually someone recently had my one of my coins for almost a month, dipping it in and out of caches. I was actually glad to see this because my coin traveled from Oregon all the way to Mexico and is now somewhere in Texas. It's really nice to see it actually traveling, rather than just circulating around one particular state for months on end.

We just had two coins, one with a mission requiring it to stay in Seattle, that went to Spain. I believe that the cacher received a bunch of trackables right before his trip to bring over there and the one that should have stayed here happened to be among them. Ok with us though as this cacher dipped the coin in a cache and looks like he plans to bring back with him. We thought it was great that he did that as the coin appears to have gone to Spain anyways... it deserves the miles!

But, if it does bother you, a polite email is probably what anyone is going to respond to best. The cacher might well feel he's doing your coin a favor :-)

Why does it bother you? It's travelling and collecting miles and smiles. Soon enough they'll tire and find another set of trackables.

I had a coin in the same predicament and I emailed the cacher with a kind request to let others have a go. He dropped it off in a cache and hasn't been seen since. Karma!!

OK, I don't know what to say. Your traveling trackable is traveling and you are upset.

Most people come in here to say something when their coin is not moving.

Just like a coin that is stuck, or muggled, all I can say is having your trackable move is one of the risks we all take when we send something out. :(

But seriously, send them a polite note:

"Thank you for moving my geocoin, but I'd like to share it with others, so if you could drop it off soon, that would be great" or something to that effect.

I have taken bugs on trips, dipping all the way until I got to my final destination and I dropped them off.

I've also had a bug in my possession for over a few weeks, dipping it, while hoping to get it to it's goal, and gotten a nice email from the owner to ask that it just travel, and not try to take it towards it goal, because I didn't seem to be getting any closer. Hey, I tried. At least they are logging it! It could be worse.

Just tell it straight.....a smiley always helps. :P

"Thanks for taking the time to allow my geocoin to travel. Could you please leave it into the next available cache so as others can enjoy moving this coin as much as you have. Thanks again. B) "

Yep, this'll do nicely. :) I have a couple of coins now that I've had for month :) Everywhere I've been has been to cold to hunt (or I've been to busy working). The couple of little caches I've found -I dipped the coins rather than leaving them. One cache was too small and the other was, well, I was afraid the coin would get stuck forever.

I rarely hold onto coins or TBs this long unless I'm helping them on a specific mission (I can really cover some miles and often get them hundreds of miles closer to their destination). I did email the owners to explain and I got no response so I assume it's all good. I'm going to drop them in the Birmingham area within the next week.

Like mm said, be polite and friendly... that's the best you can do and it usually provokes a positive response. :(

I did email the owners to explain and I got no response so I assume it's all good.

Perhaps if they had emailed me and told me their intentions then I wouldn't feel like they are holding the coin hostage. Seriously I have had trackables go missing becasue soeone has held onto it to long and lost it.

Map Monkey put it very nicely. I feel for you. If I had just wanted my coins/bugs dipped I'd do it myself! The whole point is so others can see and share in the fun! Generally it's just someone who doesn't know any better and a nice note will help not only yours but many bugs in the future!

Exactly ...let others see it and share it also... I guess it would never occur to me to hang onto a trackable in such a manner that I am a little perplexed as to why someone else would. I personally try not to hang onto any for very long but to drop them in another cache ASAP..

I will let it play out for awhile and see if they are going to travel forever....

Thanx

Usually we've encountered people who ask us if it's ok so it really hasn't been a problem. If it's only been a short while, I'd let it go for now. If it's been months and it's still not being shared a short and POLITE note might be in order. More importantly, giving it a specific mission and sending a note asking to help it on it's mission would work well, too. Without a mission, it's kind of tough to discourage people taking a travelbug traveling. :(

Current GOAL: To travel from cache to cache and see as much of the world as I can. If you take me please move me to a new cache soon so others can enjoy finding me. Please do not place and then retrieve me multiple times. Thanks.

This is what I have on all my geocoin pages. Doesn't seem to help much. I still get people that hold them for months while dipping them.

Depending on the situation, I don't mind if our coins/TB's are dipped to some extent. For example - if a major interesting trip has been planned. :huh: Their purpose is to travel, but also to be seen by as many cacher's as possible. It is great if the dipper shows it to others along the way. :ph34r:

We had one TB that when placed, the log mentioned that it had had a whirlwind tour of NZ - no miles, no pictures as it was not dipped. ;)

Racing - no dipping is fair for all.

We have dipped, but only 2 or 3 times before placing and usually on the same trip.

Edited by rchdlyn