I'm in a cointest mood! Let's Do Another!

Nochipra

The last few nights I have been having cointests for our batch of Naughty and Nice coins we received from C&P. We have also sent some out as Christmas gifts to some very deserving people. The only way you can get one of these is if you purchased one from Coins and Pins, been gifted one, or by winning one of our cointest. I've only done one trade with these and that was from an agreement made before we received them. There are 11 left of the gold and 13 left of the nickel out of the 50 we received. My plan is to have cointests this week to get rid of 1 of the gold and 3 nickel. I plan to sell 10 of them either right before Christmas or After Christmas to cover some unexpected expenses that have occurred and save 10 for next year. If you have ordered this coin or won one please give others the opportunity to win or if you would still like to play, if you win I will send the coin to whomever you like if you provide me with their address to ship it to. I'll even let them know that it was you that won a contest and wished to send the coin to them.

YOU ARE PLAYING FOR 2 NICKEL NAUGHTY OR NICE GEOCOINS. We will pick the first winner by a random number generator. The second winner will be the recipe that Chip and I like the best and would probably make ourselves. (Keep in the mind the simpler the better for our choice of recipe and not a lot of unusual ingredients. I've never really used fresh herbs and spice, usually just the stuff you can find on a shelf at the grocery store.)

Oh, you might want to know what the contest is exactly, duh? It's simple just post your favorite recipe for the holiday. Make sure it is Holiday related, like something in the shape of a Christmas tree, gingerbread man, or something that you primarily fix only for the Holiday. If it is a recipe that does not look Holiday related (this could be for any Holiday this time of yr that you celebrate even if it is not Christmas) please give an explanation of why you make this for that particular Holiday , like if it is a family recipe or something that has been passed down through the generations. FOOD ITEMS ONLY PLEASE. No Drink Recipes you make unless you want to post it along with your food recipe.

ONE RECIPE PER Geo Name only!

This is a 2 Day Contest Only! Winners will be picked at Midnight Thursday Dec. 20, 2007. I will either announce the winners right after midnight if I am up or some time on Dec. 21st. Edits will be allowed since this sometimes takes a lot of typing and typos are made sometime.

GOOD LUCK and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

EDIT: Here is a pic of the coin your playing for. The pick is of both the gold and nickel but you playing for the nickel ones which are on the right. I just did the pic like this so you could see both sides of the coin.

Ourcoin1.jpg

Edited by Nochipra

Cheese cake is a big hit at our house over the holidays and this is one of our favorites. We add a little more Baileys for taste and the walnuts are optional.

BAILEY'S IRISH CREAM CHEESECAKE

CRUST:

10 graham crackers, broken

1 1/4 c. walnuts (may use any kind of nuts)

1/4 c. sugar

3/4 stick of melted sweet butter

FILLING:

1/2 lb. cream cheese, at room temperature

3/4 c. sugar

3 lg. eggs

1/3 c. Bailey's Irish Cream

1 tsp. vanilla extract

3 oz. imported white chocolate broken into pieces

TOPPING:

1 1/2 c. sour cream

1/4 powdered sugar

1 1/2 oz. white chocolate, grated

Walnuts, grated, to sprinkle

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

CRUST: Lightly butter a 9 inch cheesecake pan. Finely grind crackers, walnuts and sugar in processor. Add butter and blend. Press into bottom of pan. Refrigerate for twenty minutes.

FILLING: Using mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl until smooth. In another bowl, whisk eggs, Bailey's Irish Cream and vanilla until just blended. Beat egg mixture into cream cheese mixture. Finely chop white chocolate in processor. Add chocolate to filling. Transfer filling to crust lined pan. Bake until the edges of the filling are puffed and the center is set about 50 minutes. Cool on rack.

TOPPING: Mix sour cream and powdered sugar. Spread topping onto cooled cake. Refrigerate about 6 hours. Sprinkle grated white chocolate and walnuts on top before serving.

We make these every year with the inlaws at Christmas and thought we would share this recipe with everyone else.

Hope everyone enjoys this recipe as much as we do.

Happy Holidays to all.

Barry and Val

sweetlife

Mountain, WI.

Sparkling Tree Cakes

Prep Time:

20 min

1 hr 20 minMakes:

16 servings, one tree each1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix 1/4 tsp. green food coloring 1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened 1 cup powdered sugar 1-1/2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping 16 peppermint sticks (3 inch) 1/2 cup BAKER'S ANGEL FLAKE Coconut 2 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, chopped 1/4 cup PLANTERS Dry Roasted Peanuts, chopped Assorted Christmas candies colored sugar PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans; set aside. Prepare cake batter as directed on package; tint with food coloring. Pour evenly into prepared pans.

BAKE as directed on package. Cool in pans 10 min.; remove to wire racks. Cool completely.

BEAT cream cheese and powdered sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Stir in whipped topping with wire whisk. Spread onto tops and sides of cakes.

CUT each cake into eight wedges to resemble Christmas trees. Insert peppermint stick into curved side of each cake for the tree trunk. Decorate with remaining ingredients. Store in refrigerator.

This is a recipe that my wife got from her mother for this time of year, we make it at Christmas, but her mom makes it at Thanksgiving. It is a good alternative to cranberry sauce or canned cranberries. I hope you injoy. Oh yeah, reason she makes for Christmas is the festive color it has!!

CRANBERRIE RELISH

1 bag of cranberries (Washed well)

2 large oranges (Washed, quartered, deseeded, but not peeled)

3/4 to 1 cup of sugar

In a food processor place cranberries and mince up, then add both oranges and mince, next you add your sugar 3/4 cup and mix in processor. After mixing, taste, and if to sour add more sugar (up to 1 cup). this makes 1 quart of cranberry relish.

My wife also makes for small gifts. Just get small mason jars, fill, and decorate the lid!

Well I hope yall like it.

Nochipra, thanks for the cointest and the chance to share something with the others.

To all a very happy and safe holliday,

Frank and Beck

CranberryRelish1sm.jpg

edited to insert image:

Edited by Frank n Beck

This recipe is from my mothers side of the family and is always a hit for the Holidays. Its not your every day Sweet Potato Casserole.

Sweet Potato Casserole

1 large can and 1 small can sweet potatoes about 3 cups worth

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 stick unsalted butter, melted

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 tsp vanilla

Topping

1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans

1 cup brown sugar

½ cup flour

1 stick butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl , mix all of the first ingredients together with a mixer. Butter an 8-by-8-inch casserole and spread evenly in the bottom of pan. Then mix topping and spread on top of the sweet potatoes. Bake at 350 for 45 min. Serve immediately. Then hope you doubled the recipe so that you get some. <_<

We were introduced to this recipe at our friend's house and really liked it. Now we make it every Hanukkah and just during the winter holiday season.

SWEET POTATOE LATKES

2 sweet potatoes (peeled and shreeded)

2 lightly mixed eggs

1 tbsp of sugar

1/4 cup vegetable oil (used during frying)

2 tsp ground cinnamon

2 tbsp flour

Release as much liquid as possible from the potatoes in a colander.

Combine and mix all the ingredients in a bowl (excluding the oil).

Heat oil in a skillet to 375 degrees.

Form your mix into a pancake-like shape and fry, flipping them every 3 or so minutes in order to have both sides brown.

Serve hot!

I don't have my own picture of them but was able to find one online that resembles the ones that we make:Apr%202007%20022.jpg

Edit: Apparently the pic isnt showing but here's the link: http://bp1.blogger.com/_nhUF0AfD5fg/Ri-Wr6...pr+2007+022.jpg

Edited by dimkasmir

What a great idea <_<

We have made this PECAN CAKE every year for over 50 years so I am sharing my updated version (original was made with vanilla flavoring),updated is made with rum flavoring and rum sauce. yum :blink:

PECAN CAKE

2 cups butter =1 lb. Butter

2 ½ cups sugar

4 cups flour

6 lg eggs

3 tbls. Rum flavoring (or vanilla)

1 tsp. Baking powder

4 cups pecans, make be bits/pieces or whole

Cream butter and sugar together, add eggs one

at a time, (crack into a bowl so no shell gets into the bowl)

add rum or vanilla and blend. Sift dry ingredients together

and combine slowly with egg mixture. Stir in pecans.

Pour into well greased and floured tube pan.

Bake 1 ½ hours in an Angle food pan at 300 degree oven.

Toothp[ick inserted 1” from center should be clean.

Stuck into the center should be wet. Cake will continue

To cook after being removed from oven.

Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 20 min,

Then flip upside down and remove pan.

Rum Sauce

Heat ¼ lb butter = 1 stick

¼ cup water

¾ cups sugar

½ c Bacardi Dark Rum

Melt butter, stir in water and sugar.

Boil 5 min. stir constantly. Remove from heat and

Add the rum.

You may poke holes in the cake and pour some sauce on

the entire cake. Or serve on the side. This cake freezes

and keeps for year round Enjoyment.

Merry Christmas.

My favorite thing to have during the holiday's is cocktail sausages. Granted you can eat make them whenever you feel like throughout the year. It's not the best looking dish out there, but it sure is a great appetizer. Now I'm hungry. Is it Christmas yet????!!!!

Cocktail Sausages

1 jar (10oz) currant jelly

4oz. Stone Ground Mustard (or you could use another type of mustard to your liking)

Lil' Smokies Cocktail Sausages

Put the currant jelly and mustard in a crockpot. Mix it up and add the cocktail sausages. Cook it in the crockpot on low for about and hour (or if you are impatient like me.. cook it on high for 30 minutes).

This is an awesome recipe that I only make for holidays because it is white like snow, but it could be made for any gathering. It is simple, easy, and everyone so far over many years has loved it. Sometimes I think the name of it is what catches people's interest, and I'll tell them how it is made in a new garbage bag and it is white! They'll get the pun, try the snack, and be hooked.

WHITE TRASH

16 oz. box of Golden Grahams cereal

15 oz. box of raisins

11.5 oz. can of mixed nuts

1 stick of butter

2 cups creamy peanut butter (a 17 or 18 oz. jar)

1-3/4 cups milk chocolate chips (an 11.5 or 12 oz bag)

1 box confectioners' sugar (sometimes takes a box and a half)

Mix all dry ingredients (cereal, raisins, and nuts) except confectioners' sugar. Put this in a large plastic bag (unscented garbage bag!) and toss together to mix up.

Melt butter, peanut butter, and chips in a double-boiler just until melted and mixed together. Pour over the dry ingredients. Mix well. Holding top of bag closed, toss around until all dry ingredients are coated. It will be a globby mess at this stage!

Pour the box of confectioners' sugar over all and toss around some more to coat all pieces. May need another half of a box. Should be individual pieces and each coated white like snow!

Freezes well and can be eaten straight from freezer.

marpomem

Great! Just what I need after baking with 12 sugar-high Girl Guides! Tonight we made 6 dozen sugar cookies, 4 dozen mini cheesecakes and 4 dozen caramel covered marshmallows for CUPS...Calgary Urban Project Society an organization that provides a hand up to the homeless....

As the parents shuffled in to pick up their girls we gave them a try and the caramel marshmallow balls won hand down.

I don't have the exact recipe but I think a monkey could make them if I made them with 12 sugar-high Girl Guides! (did I mention SUGAR HIGH)

[/b]CARAMEL MARSHMALLOWS

One box of Kellogs cornflakes slightly crushed in a large basin

One large bag of large marshmallows

Six bars of MacIntosh toffee, smashed (in the bag works the best, the Guides loved doing this part!)

One can of evaporated milk

You melt the 3 bars of the toffee bits and half a can of evaporated milk in the microwave (don't burn!) until they are mixed.

Then you take a marshmallow and dip it into the toffee (quite hot, watch out!)

then you roll the whole thing in slightly crushed cornflakes.

Easy. The exact ratios might be off as someone seems to have run off with the recipe. I will edit later if needed.

X-RATED XMAS RECIPE

Also, another recipe that my husband and i make every year...Bailey's Truffle Balls. Now if you enjoy baking with your partner (definitely not Girl Guide territory!) this is the recipe for you! As you form the balls in your hands...the chocolate gets ALL over. You know what I mean!

1/2 cup whipping cream

1/4 cup butter

3 tbsp sugar

8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chopped up

1/4 cup Bailey's IC.

Several coatings for the truffles like oreo crumbs, nuts, icing sugar, sprinkles, cocoa, coconut, etc.

Combine cream, butter and sugar in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate, stirring until completely melted. Stir in Bailey's. Chill mixture until firm (when the kids are in bed) at least 4 hours. Drop mixture into the coatings of your choice. Shape into balls (with partner) and roll in coatings to cover thoroughly. Chill. Store in airtight container in refrigerator. May make 5 dozen depending on how much you eat....

Here's a cookie that my mom made for me since I was a kid and now my wife makes them for me....

Candy Cane Cookies

Pre-heat oven to 350° F.

2 1/2 C flour

1/4 tsp. salt

1 C butter, at room temperature

1 C confectioners sugar

1 large egg

1/2 tsp. vanillia extract

1/2 tsp. peppermint extract

1/4 tsp. liquid red food coloring

1/2 C crushed peppermint candy, (candy canes, peppermint ribbon, etc)

Mix flour and salt together, set aside.

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy, gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in egg, vanilla, and peppermint extracts then lower mixer speed and gradually mix in the flour mixture, beating just until blended. Remove slightly more than half of the dough from the bowl and set aside. Add the red food coloring and crushed peppermint candy to the remaining dough and beat until evenly mixed and colored.

For each candy cane, scoop 1 teaspoonful of the plain dough and 1 teaspoonful of pink dough. Roll each dough portion between your hands to make a 4 inch rope. Twist the ropes around each other like a Barber Pole and shape into a cane shape. Arrange cookies on a lightly greased baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.

**If dough becomes too soft, refrigerate for a few minutes until it firms up again, and only take out small amounts at a time to speed production.**

Bake for about 8 minutes until firm to the touch. Do not let the cookies brown. Cool for a minute before using a wide spatula to transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Store in a tightly covered container, separating the layers with waxed paper.

Makes about 2 dozen

These are GREAT dipped in milk!! Enjoy!! <_<

Even the whipped cream topping in this recipe is minty. The white chocolate is so much more mellow than dark, but the mint really adds a fresh spark to this hot chocolate. Ideal for Christmas.

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz white chocolate, chopped

3 1/2 cups milk

6 hard peppermint candies, crushed fine

1/2 tsp peppermint extract

2/3 cup whipping cream

PREPARATION:

Beat chilled cream with crushed mints until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate for about an hour. Meanwhile, heat milk to a simmer, them mix in chocolate. Whisk until chocolate is melted and smooth. Add mint extract and stir through.

Pour into mugs and top with minty whipped cream.

Serves 4

Since Christmas time is also winter time, i like to tell you about Snert.

Erwtensoep, also called "snert" is a form of green split-pea soup emblematic of Dutch cuisine. Traditionally eaten in winter, erwtensoep has a very thick consistency, often includes pork and sausage, and is almost a stew rather than a soup. One source says "You should be able to stand a spoon upright in a good pea soup."

It is customarily served with rye bread (roggebrood) and cheese or butter. The meat may be put on the rye bread and eaten with mustard.

It is not uncommon to be sold in small cups at the so called 'Koek en zopie' outlets on frozen canals as a hearty snack to iceskaters. And i can tell you, the canals are frozen at the moment!

Snert

500 grams split peas

500 grams smoked pork (hocks or bacon)

4 medium potatoes

2 leeks

1 onion

1 celeriac (celery root)

chopped parsley

chopped celery leaves

4 cloves

bay leaf

thyme

salt &pepper

1 ‘rookworst,’ Farmer’s, ring or coil sausage

This is just one of many, many basic recipes for the famed Dutch peasoup ‘erwtensoep.’ Most housewives will have their own recipe, adding this, leaving out that, using a different kind of meat, or adjusting the cooking time to suit their experience.

Boil 1¼ liter water and put in the pork. Stick the cloves into the peeled onion and add with the bay leaf to the soup. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Add 1¼ liter water and the peas, sprinkle in some thyme and salt and pepper. Simmer for an hour.

Peel and cube the potatoes, clean and thinly slice the leeks. Peel the celeriac and cut into cubes. Add to the soup.

When the peas are tender, take out the onion, bay leaf and cloves. Take out the meat and remove any bones or skin. Drain but keep the stock. Put the peas and vegetables through a sieve or mash them in a mixer. Slowly add the stock while stirring and simmer for 20 minutes, add the meat and the sausage and simmer for another 20 minutes until the sausage is done. Add some finely chopped parsley and celery leaves to the soup 5 minutes before it is done.

tot cache,

team Wij Drie <_<

Christmas isn't Christmas without a batch of knäck! It's a kind of sticky toffee made after a very easy recipe:

1/3 whip cream (not whipped)

1/3 sugar

1/3 syrup (I've heard you can use molasses as well)

I'd say that most people use somewhere about 1 cup of each ingredient, but I guess you can make as much or as little you like. Put everything in a heavy based saucepan an let it boil about 30 minutes until "kulprovet" (the ball test) succeeds. In kulprovet you put a small amount of the mixture in a glass of cold water and see if you can make a ball out of it. If you can, it's done. If you cannot make a ball, it needs to boil a few more minutes. I usually have to make kulprovet 3 or 4 times before it works out, but that might be because of my overly optimistic and impatient nature. <_<

If you like almonds you can chop half a cup and put it in the mixture before you pour it into small papercups, but they're very tasty without the almond too. :blink:

Here's a picture of some knäck (unfortunately not mine):

img_456e1259470af.jpg

This is a rather personal one. My Mom died when I was 16, and one of the things I remember most about her was this coffee cake:

Ma Ma's Coffee Cake

2 cups raisins(seedless)

2 cups strong coffee

2 sticks blue bonnet margarine

2 cups sugar

2 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. allspice

1 tsp. cloves

3 1/2 cups self-rising flour

5 eggs

2 cups pecans

1 tablespoon vanilla flavoring

1 greased & floured tube pan

Cook raisins and coffee together until liquid is almost gone.Cream margarine

with sugar. Add eggs, one a time.

Add spices to flour, sift together. Gradually add flour and spices to

margarine, sugar, and egg mixture. Mix altogether with a mixer. Add vanilla,

nuts and raisins to mixture. Bake a 275* for 2 hours and 15 minutes.

If you have a hot oven-you should check at the 2 hour limit

This is great and it looks really cool when you put green and red jello in for the holidays! Yum!

Ingredients

Jello Cake

1 pkg. White or yellow cake mix

1 3 0z. pkg Favorite flavor jello

Topping:

1 Envelope Dream Whip®(2-2 1/2 cup yield)

1 pkg. French vanilla instant pudding mix (4 serving size)

1 1/2 cups Cold milk

1 tsp. Vanilla

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350º

Dissolve jello in 3/4 cup boiling water.

Add 1/2 cup cold water

Set aside, at room temperature.

Mix and bake cake as directed on pkg. using a 13 x 9x 2 inch pan.

Cool cake for 20 - 25 minutes.

Poke deep holes through top of warm cake (still in pan) with meat fork; spacing holes about 1/2 inch apart.

Slowly pour or spoon jello over cake, making sure it goes into the holes.

Refrigerate while preparing the topping.

Topping:

In a chilled, deep bowl, blend and whip Dream Whip; pudding mix, milk & vanilla until stiff (3 - 8 minutes).

Immediately frost cake.

Refrigerate cake -- store in refrigerator.

Cake can be frozen!!

Every year on Christmas morning I make cranberry scones.

Cranberry Scones

2 1/2 cups flour

2 1/2 teas. baking powder

1/2 teas. baking soda

3/4 cup butter

1 cup dried cranberries

2/3 cup sugar

3/4 cup buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients together. Cut in butter. Stir in cranberries, sugar and buttermilk. Cut dough in half. Flatten each portion into a cirlcle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut like a pizza in wedges. Place on sprayed cookie sheet and bake 12-15 minutes in 400 degree over.

I have a different White Trash recipe that I usually make for the kids' teachers at Christmas.

White Trash

3 handfuls of each...

Broken rippled potato chips

Broken pretzel sticks

Crispix cereal (Chex works well too)

Buttered popcorn

Bugels

1 pound bag of white chocolate discs

1 can cashew pieces (optional)

Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Top with the white chocolate. Do not stir. Microwave for 1 minute, stir, repeat until all ingredients are well coated. Spread out on cookies sheet and cool. When cooled, break into pieces.

Forums Family Pot-Pie:

INGREDIENTS:

2c Fun cointests

2c Fun replies

2c great smiles from reading these

1 group of MYSTERY COINERS (special ingredient to add "spice")

2 special coin mods (to bring a bit of ZING to the mix)

ALL our friends from the forums family

LOVE, KINDNESS and CARE

Add all ingredients, mix it up a bit, top with LOVE, KINDNESS and Care, then add your own little touch of "flavor" and sit back and enjoy! This recipe is GREAT for those on a diet or in need of a smile or laugh...or a "pick-me-up" after the hassles of the holidays!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!!

My favorite treat of the season... Portuguese Rabanadas! :(

879_rabanadas.jpg

1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 cup milk warm

1/4 cup rum

8 slices bread, white from square loaf

2 large eggs beaten

1/2 stick butter

1 x powdered sugar

1 x cinnamon ground

Directions

Mix first 3 ingredients.

Soak bread in this mixture. Now lift each slice carefully with a wide spatula and dip in beaten egg to cover both sides.

Carefully transfer each slice to a frying-pan in which plenty of

butter is quietly sizzling.

Fry golden-brown on both sides.

Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.

yuuuuuuuuummmmmmmm! Thanks for the cointest!

This is a pretty easy cookie recipe-

Santa's Whiskers

1 cup butter

1 cup sugar

2 TBSP milk

1 tsp vanilla

2 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 cup chopped red candied cherries

1/2 cup chopped pecans

3/4 cup flaked coconut

Cream butter and sugar, blend in milk and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture with cherries and nuts, mix until blended. Form dough into 2 logs, 2 inches in diameter. Roll the logs in coconut, wrap in waxed paper and chill for 8 hours (or more) Slice cookies 1/4 inch thick. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 375 degrees for 12 minutes.

I mixed up a batch of these last night and left them to chill overnight, I'll bake them later this afternoon.

I just had my first taste of this cookie at a Christmas show at a friends church this year. I plan to make them throughout the year but definitely at Christmas. Not sure if you would consider this a Christmas recipe but they could probably be shaped into Christmas shapes. I consider them an easy dessert recipe for my family Christmas dinner.

Ingredients

2 cups sugar

1 stick margarine

1/2 milk

3 tbsp cocoa

1 tsp vanilla

2 tbsp peanut butter

2 1/2 cups quick oats (not old fashioned)

Melt the margarine. Add sugar, milk and cocoa powder. Bring to a boil and boil for 1.5 minutes (stirring constantly to avoid burning). Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Stir in peanut butter. Once peanut butter is melted in add oats. Stir together. Drop by spoonful onto waxed paper and let set for 20 minutes.

You could always add a cherry to the top or shape it into something Christmas-y but they will definitely be part of my family Christmas

Chocolate covered Pretzels

Pretzel Wheels

Red & Green M&M's

Hershey Kisses

Place the pretzels on a cookie sheet, put a Hershey Kiss on each pretzel wheel.

Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 minutes

Take out of oven

Push 1 M&M on top of the melted Hershey Kiss

Let cool on wax paper until they cool (time is determined by how warm is the room that you are cooking in :( )

:) Eat & enjoy :P

Happy Holidays Everyone!!!!

This one is complicated in my opinion (hope it doesn't disqualify for that) but its TOTALLY worth it. Its the best cake I've ever tasted in my entire life! I make at least 2 each holiday season and it gets scarffed down instantly.

Yule Log Cake

1 cup sifted cake flour

1/4 cup cocoa

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 eggs

1 cup sugar

1/3 cup cold brewed coffee

1 teaspoon vanilla

Line jelly-roll pan with waxed paper and grease. Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl; set aside. In separate bowl beat eggs until thick and creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating constantly until mixture is very thick. Stir in coffee and vanilla. Fold in flour mixture. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes.

Sprinkle kitchen towel with powdered sugar, invert cake onto towel, remove waxed paper and roll cake and towel jelly roll fashion. Cool.

When cake has cooled unroll, spread with filling, reroll.

Filling

1 1/2 cups heavy cream

2 teaspoons instant coffee

1/2 cup powdered sugar

Beat cream until stiff. Add instant coffee and powdered sugar.

Frosting

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/4 cup strong coffee

1 cup butter

3/4 cup light corn syrup

4 egg yolks

Melt chocolate chips with coffee over hot, not boiling water. Cool. Beat butter in small bowl until light and fluffy. Beat corn syrup and egg yolks into butter. Stir in cooled chocolate mixture.

Note: I don't own a jelly roll pan (whatever that is...lol) so I use a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and oiled. It works just fine but when you roll the cake, the ends will need to be cut off since they'll be jagged.

DIRT CAKE

20 oz. Oreo cookies, crushed

2 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese

2 c. confectioners sugar

2 lg. chocolate instant pudding

4 c. milk

16 oz. Cool Whip

Mix cream cheese, Cool Whip, and sugar. In another bowl mix pudding and milk. Combine cheese and pudding mixtures. In a flowerpot or 9x13 pan place half the crushed cookies in the bottom. Add pudding mixture top with the rest of the cookies.

Chill 3-4 hours. Insert flower in center of Dirt Cake for presentation before serving

Our grandchildren always add gummy worms!

At Christmas time we decorate with a Santa slide and sprinkle confectioner sugar over the dirt for snow.

Christmas isn't Christmas without a batch of knäck! It's a kind of sticky toffee made after a very easy recipe:

1/3 whip cream (not whipped)

1/3 sugar

1/3 syrup (I've heard you can use molasses as well)

I'd say that most people use somewhere about 1 cup of each ingredient, but I guess you can make as much or as little you like. Put everything in a heavy based saucepan an let it boil about 30 minutes until "kulprovet" (the ball test) succeeds. In kulprovet you put a small amount of the mixture in a glass of cold water and see if you can make a ball out of it. If you can, it's done. If you cannot make a ball, it needs to boil a few more minutes. I usually have to make kulprovet 3 or 4 times before it works out, but that might be because of my overly optimistic and impatient nature. :)

If you like almonds you can chop half a cup and put it in the mixture before you pour it into small papercups, but they're very tasty without the almond too. :P

Here's a picture of some knäck (unfortunately not mine):

img_456e1259470af.jpg

LELLE! Stop sharing our best secrets!!

You can use molasses, but it's a stronger flavor, I would suggest Karo dark syrup, and do add the almonds :) trust me!

OH, and my father in law puts a little bit of dark chocolate on top of it while it's cooling and it melts into it....

mummmms!

At least you didn't share the recipe for ischoklad! :(

White Chocolate Raspberry Brittle

Ingredients:

8 ounces white chocolate (you can chop it from a chunk or use chips)

2 tablespoons Raspberry Purée, at room temperature

Instructions:

Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.

Melt the white chocolate in a stainless steel bowl over a saucepan of hot water, making sure that the water does not touch the bottom of the pan. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat. Use a spatula to spread the chocolate into a 10 inch square on the prepared baking sheet. With a spoon evenly drizzle the raspberry purée over the surface of the white chocolate. Use a toothpick to swirl the raspberry purée through the chocolate to get the desired design.

Let the brittle set at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours or until firm. Cut the brittle into the desired shape and size pieces and then peel the parchment paper off the brittle. The raspberry puree will be slightly sticky.

Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for several days.

Instructions to make your own Raspberry Puree

Ingredients for Puree:

2 - 12 ounce bags of frozen raspberries (unsweetened)

1/2 cup granulated white sugar

1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)

Thaw the unsweetened frozen raspberries in a large fine meshed strainer suspended over a large bowl. (This may take a few hours.) Once the berries have completely thawed, force the juice from the berries by gently pressing the berries with the back of a large spoon. All that should remain in the strainer is the raspberry seeds. Throw away the raspberry seeds. Add lemon juice and sugar to the raspberry juice.

Store covered in the refrigerator up to a week, or freeze up to a year.

Makes approximately 1 3/4 cups (which is A LOT since you only need 2 TBSP for the brittle)

This brittle is great for Christmas because of its festive appearance, not to mention its deliciousness. Plus, it can be cut into Christmas shapes using cookie cutters and either set out on its own or used to decorate another dish.

Enjoy! and Thanks for the cointest!

Ischoklad = Ice chocolate (40 pcs)

Ingredients:

75 gram (3 ounces) coconut butter

125 gram (4 ounces) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (broken into pieces)

Description,

Put the fat in a bowl together with the chocolate pieces.

Place the bowl on top of a pan with boiling water until the fat and the chocolate is melted.

Scoop the liquid into tiny aluminium cups.

Store in a cool place.

Edited by Solan109

This is a Christmas favorite in our house:

Not too easy, not too hard

Spiral Coffee Cake

Prep 40 minutes plus rising

Bake 30 to 35 minutes

Coffee Cake Dough

1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)

2 packages active dry yeast

1 teaspoon plus 1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup butter or margarine stick), softened

1 large egg

1/2 teaspoon salt

about 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Choice of Filling (recipes follow)

Coffee Cake Glaze (optional) (recipe follows)

Coffee Cake Dough

1. In medium bowl, combine warm water, yeast, and 1 teaspoon sugar; stir to dissolve. Let stand 5 minutes, or until foamy.

2. In large bowl, with mixer at low speed beat butter with remaining 1/2 cup sugar until blended. Increase speed to high; beat until creamy, about 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally with rubber spatula. Reduce speed to low; beat in egg until blended. Beat in yeast mixture, salt, and 1/2 cup flour (batter will look curdled) just until blended. With wooden spoon, stir in 2 1/2 cups flour until blended.

3. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead about 8 minutes, until smooth and elastic, working in about 1/4 cup more flour as necessary just to keep dough from sticking,

4. Shape dough into ball. Place in greased large bowl, turning dough over to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place (80 to 85 degrees F) until doubled, about 1 hour.

CINNAMON-SUGAR FILLING

In small bowl, combine 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup blanched almonds, toasted and chopped, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. After rolling out dough, brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Makes about 1 cup.

Making the Coffee Cake

1. Prepare Coffee Cake Dough. (steps above)

2. Punch down dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; cover and let rest 15 minutes. Meanwhile, grease 17" by 14" cookie sheet.

3. With floured rolling pin, roll dough into 18" by 12" rectangle. Spread filling over dough to within 1/2 inch of edges. Starting at one long side, roll up dough jelly-roll fashion. Carefully lift roll and place, seam side down, on prepared cookie sheet. Shape roll into ring; press ends together to seal. With kitchen shears or clean scissors, cut ring at 1 1/2-inch intervals, up to but not through inside edge (see photo). Gently pull and twist each cut piece to show spiral filling. Cover and let stand in warm place (80 to 85 degrees F) until dough has risen slightly, about 1 hour. (Dough will continue to rise during baking.)

4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until golden. Transfer wreath to wire rack to cool completely. When cool, drizzle with Coffee Cake. Glaze, if desired. Makes 16 servings.

Coffee Cake Glaze

In small bowl, mix 1 cup confectioners' sugar with 2 tablespoons milk until smooth. With spoon, drizzle over cooled coffee cake. Makes about 6 tablespoons.

Cherry Cheesecake

2 oz McGillicuddy's Vanilla Schnapps

1 Tomcollins glass of Cranberry Cocktail

Shake over ice and pour.

Easy, popular and actually tastes like Cherry Cheesecake for some reason I can't fathom. I'm constantly being asked to mix'm up as if nobody knew what was in them. Now that I think about it, I might just be getting suckered in to playing cocktail waiter :(

Toll House Chocolate Fondue Recipe

2 cups (1 - 12 ounce package) semi-sweet chocolate chips or 12 ounces of sweet baking chocolate, cut up

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 cup milk

1/4 cup butter

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine the chocolate pieces, sweetened condensed milk, milk butter and vanilla extract in a saucepan. Stir over medium low heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.

Transfer the mixture to a fondue pot and keep warm to serve.

Makes 3 cups

Well i'm going to enter from Bonnie Scotland.

In our family we have Dumpling instead of Christmas cake.

Dumpling here in scotland is a fruit cake made in a cloth (Cloot). It is commonly known as Granny's Dumpling or Clootie Dumpling. Granny's as it is usually the person that makes it and Clootie refers to the cloth that it is cooked in.

The recipe below is my gran's recipe that she recieved from her own Grandmother who brought her up.

I'm not very good at making this but i do attempt it at least twice a year (usually November as a practice run and December for xmas day)

125g suet (fat)

250g plain flour

125g oatmeal

250g mixed sultanas and currants

1 tablespoon of golden syrup

75g sugar

2 lightly beaten eggs

1 teaspoon of ginger

1 teaspoon of baking powder

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Crushed cloves (finely ground)

4 tablespoons of milk

1 tablespoon of flour for the cloth

Rub the suet into the flour and add oatmeal, baking powder, sugar, sultanas and currants and the ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Blend together and add the eggs and syrup. Stir well and add just enough milk to firm.

Put the cloth into boiling water then spread onto your table and sprinkle a liberal amount of flour over the inside. Put the mixture into the middle and tie up, leaving a wee bit of space for the mixture to expand.

Place an upside-down saucer at the bottom of a deep pan and put the tied cloot in and cover with boiling water and simmer for about 3 hours.

In theory you should be able to keep this in a biscuit tin for up to 2 months. it doesn't last any more than 3 or 4 days in our family.

What a great idea. Im always looking for new recipes to try.

This is a Christmas tradition that we've had for years and the kids still keep asking grandma to make it. It so simple yet so good.

Cheese Ball

One 8 oz package of cream cheese

1/2 packet dry Italian dressing

1 tsp green onion dip

dash of pepper

1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Wheat Thins or some type of cracker.

***Best if served with Sun dried tomato Wheat Thins***

Mix the cream cheese, Italian dressing, Onion Dip and pepper until blended well.

Roll into ball.

Roll the ball with chopped pecans and pack nuts in firmly.

Wrap in foil or clear wrap and refridgerate (for at least an hour) until ready to serve.

Enjoy!

Edited by SoCalGeocoins

Pot Roast of Christmas Past

1 teaspoon canola oil

4 pounds boneless top sirloin, trimmed of fat

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 can low sodium beef broth, 10 3/4 oz, undiluted

1/2 cup cranberry sauce with whole berries

1/2 cup ketchup

1 envelope dry onion soup mix

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon dry mustard powder

1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

8 medium potaoes, unpeeled, halved

4 large carrots, cut into quarters

sweet potatoes

onions

Heat oil in a large, non stick skillet over medium high heat.

Sprinkle roast all over with salt.

Add to skillet and brown roast on all sides.

Transfer to large roasting pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, cranberry sauce, ketchup, onion soup mix, garlic, mustard powder, marjoram, thyme and pepper.

Pour sauce over roast

Cover and roast at 350 for 2 hours, basting occassionally with sauce.

Add potatoes and carrots to pan.

Spoon sauce over vegetables

Cover and roast for1 or MORE hours

Slice roast thinly and serve it on a platter surrounded by the vegetables.

Skim off as much fat as possible from sauce in pan

Serve sauce on the side

Crockpot - 6 hours on med.

Serve with biscuits

I used to make lots of candy for Christmas to give away. I don't bake too much anymore but never will I be allowed to quit making ALMOND ROCA. My family and friends demand it, so it has become my tradition every year to make 5 batches! Luckily, it is easy and requires few ingredients. Oh, and did I mention YUMMY? Here it is:

1 lb. butter

2 C. sugar

3 tsp. light Karo syrup

4 tsp. water

2- 5 oz. milk choc. bars (I like Hershey)

1 1/2 C. chopped almonds

Combine first 4 ingredients in heavy pan. Heat over med. low till combined. Take the heat up to MED and stir constantly till temperature reaches 290 to 292 degrees. Pour candy onto cookie sheet. When cooled slightly, layer with melted chocolate and chopped almonds. Let cool completely, break into pieces, and enjoy! You may never buy store bought Roca again....

Happy Holidays to all,

tite lines :(

This is great and it looks really cool when you put green and red jello in for the holidays! Yum!

Ingredients

Jello Cake

1 pkg. White or yellow cake mix

1 3 0z. pkg Favorite flavor jello

Topping:

1 Envelope Dream Whip®(2-2 1/2 cup yield)

1 pkg. French vanilla instant pudding mix (4 serving size)

1 1/2 cups Cold milk

1 tsp. Vanilla

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350º

Dissolve jello in 3/4 cup boiling water.

Add 1/2 cup cold water

Set aside, at room temperature.

Mix and bake cake as directed on pkg. using a 13 x 9x 2 inch pan.

Cool cake for 20 - 25 minutes.

Poke deep holes through top of warm cake (still in pan) with meat fork; spacing holes about 1/2 inch apart.

Slowly pour or spoon jello over cake, making sure it goes into the holes.

Refrigerate while preparing the topping.

Topping:

In a chilled, deep bowl, blend and whip Dream Whip; pudding mix, milk & vanilla until stiff (3 - 8 minutes).

Immediately frost cake.

Refrigerate cake -- store in refrigerator.

Cake can be frozen!!

Yum! If you ever get the chance or need something to make this is really good!gallery_23736_355_29954.jpg

Edited by Ble68

I can't decide which recipe I like best, so I'll post both!! :(

Candy's Inhalers

2 pounds white chocolate coating

1 cup peanut butter

3 cups Rice Krispies

2 cups dry roasted peanuts

2 cups mini marshmallows

In a saucepan, melt the white chocolate coating. Stir in the peanut butter. Combine the Rice Krispies, peanuts and mini marshmallows in a bowl. Pour the white chocolate/peanut butter mixture over the cereal mixture. Mix until well coated. Drop spoonfuls into cupcake papers. Let set up. (Can chill if wanted, but I don't care for it cold)

Peppermint Cookies

1 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies

1/3 cup sugar

3/4 cup butter

2 eggs

1 tsp peppermint extract

3/4 tsp vanilla extract

2 1/3 cup flour

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup sugar

In a mixer, cream the butter. Add the eggs until beaten. Mix in both extracts. Add flour, salt and the 1 cup of sugar. Mix until the dough forms a ball. In a seperate bowl, combine the crushed candies with the 1/3 cup of sugar. (This creates the topping for the cookies) Seperate the dough into small balls. Roll the balls in the candy topping. Bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees. After pulling the cookies from the oven (while still warm) roll into the candy topping again. Let cool on wax paper.

ENJOY!!!! Merry Christmas!!

Saugage Stuffing

(for your holdiay Turkey)

You will need:

1 bag regular ole Pepperiage Farm Stuffing

1 Jimmy Dean sausage roll

Fry up the saugage roll, breaking up any large pieces.

Drain the fat.

Prepare stuffing as stated on the package, but before you add the stuffing to the water, add the saugage.

Mix it all together and stuff in your turkey. (for up 15 lbs I think)

If you dont want to put it in a turkey, put stuffing in a baking dish and bake till crispy on the edges.

(about 1/2 hour)

Simple and easy side dish.

You can allso add your favorite spices or cranberries for a change of flavor.

Edited by Arrow One

Mock Indian Meal Pudding was always a favorite for the holidays with our family. The recipe was passed down from my Grandmother to Mom and now I have passed it on to my two children. It is easy to make, nearly fool proof and delicious warm or cold. Add whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for a special touch.

2 TBSP Minute Tapioca, 1/2 cup molasses, 2 TBSP Corn Meal, 1 quart milk (we always use whole milk), 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 cup sugar and butter the size of a walnut (about 1 - 2 tbsp.)

Mix all ingredients together well. Place in an oven proof container like a baking bowl (mix, bake and serve in same bowl) or casserole dish. (The baking container should have high sides - don't use a cake pan.) Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour. Stir occasionally during baking. Pudding will thicken as it cooks and also as it cooks.

Enjoy!

ChocoCherrycookie.jpg

Chocolate-Cherry Cookies

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup butter

1 egg

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup white sugar

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

Beat butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Add dry ingredients and stir until smooth.

Roll into 1-inch balls about the size of a walnut (larger if desired). Place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Drain cherries and reserve juice. Press center of each ball with thumb. Place a cherry in indentation.

In a saucepan, heat condensed milk and chocolate chips until chips are melted. Stir in 4 teaspoons of cherry juice. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of mixture over each cherry and spread to cover cherry. (More cherry juice may be added to keep frosting of spreading consistency.)

Bake for 10 minutes.

I cannot claim this recipe as my own creation.

What a great idea for a cointest! There are some really yummy sounding recipes in here, and I'm going to be copying down plenty of them!

I was going to post my fabulous sweet potato casserole recipe, but it appears tsun beat me to the punch! :) So, my next favorite recipe follows:

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

1/2 cup oil

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp salt

4 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted

2 cups flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 cup confectioner's sugar

Mix oil, chocolate, sugar. Blend in one egg at a time until well mixed. Add vanilla. Stir in salt, flour, baking powder. Chill overnight. Drop tsp of dough into confectioner's sugar. Roll around and shape into balls. Place 2" apart on greased baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees (F).

chocolate-crinkle.jpg

OK, I'll be the first to admit it, I have printed out 4-5 of these goodies and will be heading to the store in the morning to purchase the ingreidents to make ALL of them, Now I better find some elves to haelp sample them or I will not have to worry about having Frozen Buns this winter. :) :) :)

Send me some, I'll sample'em! :)

I only make this during the holidays; my family is full of seafood lovers! Thanks for the cointest!

Buttered Oyster Dressing

1 pint select oysters (drain and retain juice)

1 bag Pepperidge Farm Stuffing Mix

1 stick melted butter

1 1/2 cups half and half

Alternate layers of stuffing mix and oysters beginning and ending with stuffing mix. Pour melted butter over the top. Mix oyster juice with half and half and pour this over the top too. Bake at 325F for 45 minutes.