Wrong County?

Harry Dolphin

Okay. Ran across this one today. (If anyone can figure out how to get the dolphin on a plane, I was contemplating a visit to Oregon to see two of my sisters.) So, I was wasting time tonight, looking at nearby benchmarks, and I ran across this one:

RD0305 E 218 charlietd says it's in New York. So, I searched around and found: PJ0138 E 218. The 218 line stretches up Rte 12 into Clayton, New York. Hmm...

Oddly, the descriptions are not identical, but obviously the same. And there's nothing at all similar in the coordinates!

RD0305: N 45 29 21 W 122 47 52

PJ0138: N 44 12 42 W 076 04 32

RD0305

PJ0138

What do you think, DaveD?

PJ0138 is OK, RD0305 somehow got the wrong description tied to the leveling data. The designation E 218 is correct. Our records indicate that there should be a mark that is an USC&GS and SS (State Survey) mark at that location. I've sent a note to our database team to pull the data from our archives and get the correct description typed and added to the data base and change the county designation. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, the pursuit of perfection is an endless task at NGS. We deeply appreciate the help we get from the public.

It looks like the basic data for a mark in PA mixed with with the to-reach and recovery for BE1733k (NGS sheet) in FL.

The designation KV2282 belongs in PA under the old system of assigning PIDs. The SCALED coordinates appear to be along a RR and not at a crossing, and a reasonable distance between P 362 and R 362. The elevation is within 100 ft of P and R (but lower), and unreasonable for the FL shore location. The marker type Tidal Station Disk makes more sense in FL.

The to-reach makes sense on a map of Florida although some of the highways have been renumbered. It would be in the vicinity of N30 01.850 W85 27.850 which would not be a simple typo from the published values.

The to-reach matches with BE1733.

Quite a puzzle how such widely separated marks got mixed up.

Edited by Bill93

While we're on the subject of wrong counties, I came across RL1157while perusing benchmarks recently. The datasheet lists it in Vilas County, WI, but the description (1 mile northeast of the state line lookout tower) place it clearly (by about a mile) into Gogebic County, MI.

The state line lookout tower is referenced in the datasheet for STATE LINE TOWER D which describes the tower as at the state line. The GOGEBIC USGS quad also shows the station well inside Michigan--the coordinates are fairly close, according to the USGS Topo map. I am planning to search for this station on a benchmarking trip I'm planning to this area. I was going to wait until then, but figured as long as a "wrong county" discussion came up, I may as well throw this one out as well.

While we're on the subject of wrong counties, I came across RL1157while perusing benchmarks recently. The datasheet lists it in Vilas County, WI, but the description (1 mile northeast of the state line lookout tower) place it clearly (by about a mile) into Gogebic County, MI.

The state line lookout tower is referenced in the datasheet for STATE LINE TOWER D which describes the tower as at the state line. The GOGEBIC USGS quad also shows the station well inside Michigan--the coordinates are fairly close, according to the USGS Topo map. I am planning to search for this station on a benchmarking trip I'm planning to this area. I was going to wait until then, but figured as long as a "wrong county" discussion came up, I may as well throw this one out as well.

Interesting. I've never seen a topo map with the station listed by name (M 146) and elevation (1715 M). I'm lucky if I can find an X on the topo map! That definitely looks to be in Gogebic County. The problem will to be to find it, since WIDT could not. Good luck.

Interesting. I've never seen a topo map with the station listed by name (M 146) and elevation (1715 M). I'm lucky if I can find an X on the topo map! That definitely looks to be in Gogebic County. The problem will to be to find it, since WIDT could not. Good luck.

Harry, I'm sure you mean Bench Marks. Plenty of Triangulation station names are on topo maps, including some you have recovered.

Here's a few in Bergen (they're everywhere):

Dyke

Egg 2

Twombly

Forest

Here's an interesting one I came across, FB27993 It's a lookout tower (AUGUST HILL LOOKOUT TOWER) that is a good 3 miles into the county of Spartanburg SC - but the datasheet lists it as being in Rutherford county NC. I suspect that back in 1957 when it was added to the NGS database that area was actually part of Rutherford county, but since then the location of the NC/SC border has been moved, changing the home county of the tower.

Some benchmarks have X's, many do not. But a benchmark with name and elevation on the topo is something I've never seen around here.

You're right about bench mark names. An X is usually the best you will get. But sometimes with the letters "BM" and sometimes an elevation (unfortunately usually in NAD27). I think the USGS (which made the maps) were better in marking (although not naming) their own bench marks.