Metal Detectors

iluvbuilding429

I agree with AZCachmeister. I own both a cheap Harbor Freight detector and a $200 Radio Shack detector, but I rely on the Harbor Freight detector almost exclusively. Unlike AZ, I use it frequently, preferring it to simply probing. I have even carried it to the top of mountains to help me search. It will find a disk at about 6 inches depth.

My standard speech condensed: Either pick cheap and very portable for those cases where a disk is in a remote area is covered with leaves and dirt, or else pay the bucks for the best discrimination you can get to reject the innumerable iron objects along present or former railroad lines.

I used to work for a concert venue that had a bunch of those wands. I brought in a benchmark and "detected" but it only seemed to work closer than 4 inches. Do you have better results Maconart/

I love my cheapie MD and it is always in the car. It breaks down to about 2 feet long so I can put in my backpack with the loop sticking out for hands free hiking.

Patty:

I also have one of the wand type ones. I got a real good deal on it from an electronics wholesaler I deal with at work. I think it was around $40 or so. It does seem to be good for 3 or 4 inches, maximum. Probably less thru any dirt. And even less if wet, I guess. My big problem with it is bending over to use it. Didn't do my back any good. I do carry it in my backpack on rare occasions, if I think I will really need it. Seems like I never have it when I need it.....

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

The wand works to about 6 " depending upon the density of the debris. It works great on the "Culvert" benchmarks that are covered with grass/growth. You can locate the area on the culvert to clean the grass away. It also works about a foot above kudzu vines and leaf debris. The wand works on the "rod" benchmarks as well.