Kawartha Bushwacker Series shoeshoe Trip

jeff-trex

This is a posting to see if there is any interested and crazy cachers looking to attempt the Kawartha Bushwacker Series and hike to the Buzzard Lake Cache, this winter Probably Jan or feb via shoeshoe.

No date set yet but just seeing who is interested and we can pick a date from there. Could event hold a event at a local timmie's in peterborough or lakffield and carpool to the parking coords from there.

This is a posting to see if there is any interested and crazy cachers looking to attempt the Kawartha Bushwacker Series and hike to the Buzzard Lake Cache, this winter Probably Jan or feb via shoeshoe.

No date set yet but just seeing who is interested and we can pick a date from there. Could event hold a event at a local timmie's in peterborough or lakffield and carpool to the parking coords from there.

Hey, I'd be interested in coming along on that. I'd have to get a lift from the Brampton area to get there, but in exchange, I can bring along a spare set of snowshoes if someone would like to borrow a set for the day.

Definitely interested, but won't commit just yet.

I always enjoy trips that have the military support along.....though embarrasing because my fat and lazy factor really shows, always nice to know there's someone there that can make it back out for help faster than the snowmobiles. :P

I have a ride up to the start point for the snowshoe trip. All I need now is to know the date.

My employer expects my presence at work on friday the 18th, but both the 19th and the 20th are fine. I would suggest saturday Jan 20th. that would leave sunday as a recovery day for those not used to hiking. B)

the 18th is fri

the 19th is sat

and 20th is sun

I have all three days off and was headed to the cottage, there is a invitation for anyone who wants to drive up fri night. to be rested for the hike. could also meet back at the cottage for Geobeers after the hike.

maybe too late to post a event.

the 18th is fri

the 19th is sat

and 20th is sun

I have all three days off and was headed to the cottage, there is a invitation for anyone who wants to stay over fri night. To be rested for the hike. could also meet back at the cottage for Geobeers after the hike.

maybe too late to post a event.

I can e-mail the coords for the cottage.

Edited by jeff-trex

For those who don't have their own snowshoes, you might want to look into renting a set.

I called Mountain Equipment Coop in Toronto today, and they do have snowshoes available for rent. You are advised to book early to to reserve a set if you need them.

You can check out the MEC website at http://www.mec.ca/

The fastest way I've found to get to the rentals section is to do a search for "rental" and follow the link that the search finds.

I'm planning to go to our cottage this week to pick up some snowshoes for the trek. I can probably get 2-3 extra pair depending on your weight I may be able to outfit you.

By the looks of the recent weather though we may not need snowshoes depending on what it does next week.

Jeff can you email me the coords for the cottage? Not sure if I'll take you up on your offer though, I'll see how I feel towards the end of the week and what the weather forecast will be for driving conditions. How long a drive is it from Toronto, west end to the starting point?

Ron

I was up to the cottage in Muskoka (off hwy 118 east of hwy 11) and did 1 cache in the woods where there is still quite a bit of snow. Broke through the crust and snow up to my knees so snowshoes would be useful if it's the same near Buzzard Lake.

I have 4 extra pairs and will bring them along in case anyone needs them.

Also found topo map of the area at 1:20,000 on the web at the following long address.

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps...nodata_ntdb_50k

You can also work down to it from the Canada Toperama site

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/topo/map

Edited by rovers3

I was up to the cottage in Muskoka (off hwy 118 east of hwy 11) and did 1 cache in the woods where there is still quite a bit of snow. Broke through the crust and snow up to my knees so snowshoes would be useful if it's the same near Buzzard Lake.

I have 4 extra pairs and will bring them along in case anyone needs them.

Also found topo map of the area at 1:20,000 on the web at the following long address.

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps...nodata_ntdb_50k

You can also work down to it from the Canada Toperama site

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/topo/map

If anyone wants a pdf of a topo at 1:10,000 let me know

I'm certainly glad Saturday is the day, Sunday's high is -15?? That's going to be a shock to the system!

I'd say we got 3" of snow here over the last day, but with the mild weather it will soon compact. Been busy the last couple days, we ended up getting another vehicle. Will see if I can get up that way though either tomorrow or thursday, and check out conditions.

Greywynd