GeoCoin compared to PathTag compared to GeoTag

Firespinner

I have been reading tons of forums about all three (GeoCoins, PathTags and GeoTags).

I understand the differences in tracking (geocaching.com vs. other sites and trackable vs. non-trackable). I want something as a trade/ collection item but I just can't afford GeoCoins. They are beautiful but out of my budget. PathTags and GeoTags both seem great and might be an option for me.

Does anyone have a picture of all three of these types side by side? I would LOVE to see a pic of this so I could get a better idea of size difference. :-)

Thanks!

As the make of the Geotags I might be biest but here goes.

Pathtags are good for trading with other pathtags. With geotags some people are willing to trade for geocoins. Pathtags are not trackable, geotags are. There is a very nice trading community for pathtags. That is pathtag for pathtag.

As for the other question, the blue part is a path tag the gold is a geotag

geotag-size.jpg

Not even close in size. The blue pathtag is just slightly smaller that a quarter and the geotag is 1.25"

Edited by Atwell Family

As the make of the Geotags I might be biest but here goes.

Pathtags are good for trading with other pathtags. With geotags some people are willing to trade for geocoins. Pathtags are not trackable, geotags are. There is a very nice trading community for pathtags. That is pathtag for pathtag.

As for the other question, the blue part is a path tag the gold is a geotag

geotag-size.jpg

Not even close in size. The blue pathtag is just slightly smaller that a quarter and the geotag is 1.25"

Thanks for that pic! That helps a ton. :-)

Oooohh a picture of my pathtag... kewl.

I have seen both in "real life" (thanks Mr. Atwell) and I like both. I have pathtags (duh) and someday I will get a geotag.

Both are quality products. What you get depends on what you want it for.

I like the pathtags for trading in our little pathtag community.

I like Geotags for the fact that they are trackable on Geocaching.com.

I also like to drop my pathtags into caches... and for the money I paid for them I don't have a hard time letting them go.

I don't release coins now because too many had been stolen.

I can get geotags for a much lower price than a minted geocoin and still have a trackable item to place in caches. I like that, saves me money.

My 2 cents worth.

Alright I couldn't resist :lol: !! This will show a nice range of sizes, the Trolley Coin in this picture is the same size as Pathtags.

From top to bottom:

Damenace Trolley Coin

Fluttershy Geotag

Damenace Top 40

Initial Point

Damenace Mega Generic

You could've put my pathtag in there :huh:

Do I have your pathtag???? Hint, Hint, Hint.

Alright I couldn't resist :anibad: !! This will show a nice range of sizes, the Trolley Coin in this picture is the same size as Pathtags.

From top to bottom:

Damenace Trolley Coin

Fluttershy Geotag

Damenace Top 40

Initial Point

Damenace Mega Generic

You could've put my pathtag in there :huh:

Didn't we trade my two tags for two of your trolleys? :lol::lol::anibad:

Edited by The Moop Along

Alright I couldn't resist :lol: !! This will show a nice range of sizes, the Trolley Coin in this picture is the same size as Pathtags.

From top to bottom:

Damenace Trolley Coin

Fluttershy Geotag

Damenace Top 40

Initial Point

Damenace Mega Generic

You could've put my pathtag in there :anibad:

Didn't we trade my two tags for two of your trolleys? :huh::lol::anibad:

Probably, I am so unorganized!!!! I have coins coming out of my ears :huh: !!!!!

From top to bottom:

Damenace Trolley Coin

Fluttershy Geotag

Damenace Top 40

Initial Point

Damenace Mega Generic

You could've put my pathtag in there :anibad:

Didn't we trade my two tags for two of your trolleys? :anibad::lol:B)

Probably, I am so unorganized!!!! I have coins coming out of my ears :huh: !!!!!

Luckily trolley tags are small :huh:

As a price comparison:

Geocoins are generally $2.50-$5.00 (non trackable, add another $2.25 for tracking).

Geotags etc are generally $4.00 each (design unique to one side)

Pathtags are $0.75 each (design unique to one side)

So if it's a cost factor then a pathtag seems to fit the bill for you.

As a price comparison:

Geocoins are generally $2.50-$5.00 (non trackable, add another $2.25 for tracking).

Geotags etc are generally $4.00 each (design unique to one side)

Pathtags are $0.75 each (design unique to one side)

So if it's a cost factor then a pathtag seems to fit the bill for you.

I haven't bought a pathtag but the starter kit is $99 for 50 so isn't that $2.00 not $0.75?

I haven't bought a pathtag but the starter kit is $99 for 50 so isn't that $2.00 not $0.75?

You are correct. You can buy refills for $99 per 100 tags though.

For me personally at least in this case size doesn't matter.

Edited by stvanme

We were looking for someting that we can put in cache's and checked out both geotags and pathtags. Originally I ordered geotags (should arrive any day), then we decided to use the same design and order pathtags which should also arrive any day. The pathtag community is really fun, and I already have about 25 tags from trades and will send mine out when I get mine in. I think the pathtags are fun because they don't cost nearly as much as geocoins. We want the geottags mostly as gifts...

Oh and I would suggest if you go for the pathtags to order 150 to start out with because if your design is good, everyone will want to trade with you!

Geocoins

Geocoins are generally around 47mm in diameter and can either be soft enamelled (smooth) or hard enamelled (generally 3D). They do come in a variety of shapes around 47mm but due to the cost of the moulds associated with coins over 50mm sizes greater than this tend to be quite rare.

Geocoins can be 3D where hard enamels are used but the cost of the CNC machining for this type of profiling add to the manufacturing cost. There are designers however who prefer to work on 3D coins but these tend to be in the US.

Standard coins are around 3mm to 4mm thickness but can be bigger if they are 3D.

The vast majority of Geocoins are Trackable on Geocaching but some are none Trackable if used for Commemorative purposes.

Designs can be individual on either side and are sold single units.

The price of Geocoins depending on the complexity ranges from £8 to £40 (for the more complicated astrological coins).

An example of a 3D coin

Titanic%20V3-228x228.jpg

Micro Geocoins

Micro coins tend to be around 25-30mm in diameter and invariably trackable on Geocaching.com. Prices start around £5.

Designs can be individual on either side and are sold single units.

An eaxmple of a micro coin

England%20Micro2-228x228.jpeg

Trolley Coins

Pathtags and ExTags are only Trackable on their own site BUT not on Groundspeak. You can design your own front with Pathtags but they have a set selection of backs for you to choose. ExTags are very similar but you can design and choose your own rear (back) if you so desire.

PathTags are 23mm in diameter and 2mm thick and generally have a hole somewhere in the coin. Prices for 100 (minimum) range from around £80.

ExTags are available in a variety of shapes (square, puzzle oval etc) and also 23mm round with and without the hole. Prices for 100 (minimum) range from around £80.

An example of a PathTag

blueprint.jpg

An example of an Ex Tag

extagz_00005.jpg

GT Tags

GT tags manufactured by NE Geocaching Supplies in the UK and are generally 23mm diameter they are Trackable on Groundspeak. They come with a specific icon but with a standard GS agreed design on the rear. Prices around £4.99 for single units.

An example of a GT Tag

Campbell%20GT%20Tag-228x228.JPG

GeoTags

These are Trackable Tags and can vary in shape but are generally are around 30mm. They are made from aluminium and can be screen printed or enamelled. Prices around £3 -£4. These items are Trackable on Geocaching.com

An example of a GeoTag

penguin-traveler-500-500x500-228x228.jpg

Edited by The Lambs @ 9