gpsmap 60 csx

lv2rescue

Last year went through the same thing with my Garmin 76csx.

I reloaded the map program many times and the driver. Reloaded Windows (I hate that).

Nothing worked, I called Garmin and the tech said that the trouble is with computers with non-Intel drivers.

He said to get a PCMCIA USB Expansion Card.

I did get a card and everything works OK now.

I don't like that solution because I don't understand it and it worked fine before.

Ok, to respond to a couple of your replies.

When checking the interface it is set to "Garmin"

And when clicking on the USB tab it doesn't recognize that the GPS unit is plugged in. It says there are no GPS units that it can find.

I really hope they don't want me to buy more hardware to make this thing work. Am I supposed to unlock the maps? The mapsource software came with the unit and I don't get asked to unlock them, but am I supposed to do that somewhere?

Thanks everyone for all your feedback. Hope we can get this thing working. This is my first experience with a GPS and I was hoping it would be a warm an fuzzy one.

Also, I have heard that it can help to use the GPSr in the same USB port each time, and/or put it in the 1st USB port.

This sounds to me as if it is the USB interface in your computer. Particularily, If it's a Sony Vaio that's likely the case. It's not likely the USB Drivers from Garmin. Some devices just simply won't work with the non-Intel stuff.

The way to solve it is like others have suggested, get a PCMCIA USB Card......

ETA: You might try deleting all of the USB stuff in Device Manager and rebooting your computer. You will need to reinstall all of your USB devices, but it might be worth a try before buying a USB Card.

Edited by tlhutch

Ya, I am plugging it directly into the USB on the computer, but it isn't being seen by the software i guess. i have tried it on an xp and vista machine. I noticed that Garmin doesn't say anything about working with Vista, so I tried it in the xp and had the same result.

Are you using a USB hub? You should plug the USB cable directly into one of the ports on the back of the computer. The front ports and hubs often don't work properly with gps units.

Are you using a USB hub? You should plug the USB cable directly into one of the ports on the back of the computer. The front ports and hubs often don't work properly with gps units.

I had the same problems with an iPod and a camera - they wouldn't work with my USB hub. It'll work unpowered, and has a 3VDC-in-jack to work as a powered hub. I hooked it up to an old phone charger, and the iPod and camera now work on the hub, in any port on the hub.

Ya, I am plugging it directly into the USB on the computer, but it isn't being seen by the software i guess. i have tried it on an xp and vista machine. I noticed that Garmin doesn't say anything about working with Vista, so I tried it in the xp and had the same result.

When you plug it in to the computer, does XP react at all? Does it play the "hey, I found a USB device" sound? Even if you don't have the drivers installed, you should hear that (at least I did when I first got my 60CSx and plugged it in without installing the driver). Does anything else work off that USB port?

Yes, the driver loads on the xp machine fine. The Vista machine comes up with some errors, but in the end seems to indicate the driver was installed. When loading the driver it sees the GPS, but when I hook up to do anything after that it seems that it does not see the GPS.

When you plug it in to the computer, does XP react at all? Does it play the "hey, I found a USB device" sound? Even if you don't have the drivers installed, you should hear that (at least I did when I first got my 60CSx and plugged it in without installing the driver). Does anything else work off that USB port?

Yep,

Have done that many times. No positive results.

Have you installed your usb driver from the cd-rom.

Log off your computer; put the GPs on with the usb cable attached!

log your computer on again and "New Hardware" will ask you to put the cd-rom in for the new USB device.

<_<