Basic question about MapSource

Annie & PB

Hi there, We have just started caching and all we have is our brand new Legend HCx and the Mapsource software that came with it.

We have figured out how to download waypoints to Mapsource and then send them to the GPSr. (BTW - should we be able to send waypoints straight from geocaching.com to the GPSr and am I just a techno-illiterate for not being able to figure that bit out?? :D :D )

Anyway - what I want to do right at this moment is put all the caches with 10 km (kilometres being as we are in New Zealand!) of home on to one map in Mapsource. However - they are on more than one page at geocaching.com and everytime I download a page of waypoints it makes a new MapSource map. How can I get them on to one map????

[quote (BTW - should we be able to send waypoints straight from geocaching.com to the GPSr)

Yes you can. Attach the USB cable that came with your unit and from the cache page hit the "Send to GPS" button, top left under the coordinates

I'd suggest getting all caches on your gps then send them to mapsource.

Alternately you could just "cut" the waypoint from each map and "paste" onto one map, a little tedious tho.

Anyway - what I want to do right at this moment is put all the caches with 10 km (kilometres being as we are in New Zealand!) of home on to one map in Mapsource. However - they are on more than one page at geocaching.com and everytime I download a page of waypoints it makes a new MapSource map. How can I get them on to one map????

If you load a search page of 20 caches into MapSource, and then load another, MapSource will ask you if you want to save the one that changed. I think you should say Yes. Perhaps you should 'import' instead of 'open'.

But another way is to use something like shareware EasyGPS to combine all your LOC or GPX files into 1 and load that into MapSource. Or even use notepad to combine the <wpt>...</wpt> of all your separate files into one.

P.S. Old versions of MapSource will only understand GPX files if you also install the patch from Garmin or install Trip & Waypoints Manager something that should come with the GPS even if you do not buy their mapping software.

You need to open multiple instances of Mapsource and copy and paste from one to the other.

There are (of course) many other options.

The most popular method is probably to use a program called GSAK. It is overkill, but is the nicest tool around.

If you become a Premium Member, you can do pocket queies which contain up to 500 caches per query.

Thanks everyone for your responses - we are only somewhat computer literate it appears !!! (At least in terms of the new hardware/software we are currently encountering)

[quote (BTW - should we be able to send waypoints straight from geocaching.com to the GPSr)

Yes you can. Attach the USB cable that came with your unit and from the cache page hit the "Send to GPS" button, top left under the coordinates

That is what we had thought we could do ...... but it turned out our computer and GPSr would not recongnise each other. With the help of a communication plug-in downloaded from Garmin and a bit of fiddling around we seem to have got them on speaking terms and I can download from geocaching.com direct to the GPSr. Now however, all that it appears that I am 'allowed' to upload from Mapsource back to GPSr is 'maps' - the other options including waypoints are greyed out.

I found that I could select and copy the whole list by holding down the shift key - as you can to select a whole list of, say photos, and that made it alot quicker - that was what I resorted to in the end.

[quote The most popular method is probably to use a program called GSAK. It is overkill, but is the nicest tool around.

If you become a Premium Member, you can do pocket queies which contain up to 500 caches per query.

Yes - both of those are on our list of stuff to get - but just at this time of year the price (in NZ dollars) is just that little bit more than the budget will stretch to after havign stretched to the GSPr. :lol: ( I don't get paid for about 8-9 weeks over summer (which it is here down under) as I do supply teaching.)

Thanks again for your help, and I will no doubt be back with other questions !!!