Just downloaded MacCaching!

tabulator32

Ok, so I'm trying to load a few individual caches from the GC.com website into MacCaching.

I know I can do pocket queries and click and drag them onto MacCaching.

If I want to pick and choose and select caches one by one to place into MacCaching (keep in mind, I still don't have the Garmin ready to hook up yet) how can I load it onto my Mac and into MacCaching?

Can I just select the download button and, when it asks me to choose what I want to open it with, I would select MacCaching?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

:D

Ok, I don't even have GPS that allows me to download coords (I've been doing manual entry all this time) but I can tell this is definitely going to change the way I geocache and it is going to be a lot more fun!

This is AWESOME!

Now...what types of PDA's are conducive to being used with a Mac and the MacCaching application?

Any experiences? Suggestions?

I just downloaded this as well. Seems cool so far...but I have a PQ issue to sort out before I'll take it to the field...

I'm assuming you mean an issue with PQ's coming from the GC.com website as was indicated earlier...or are you referring to an issue with MacCaching concerning PQ's?

Well, either way, I'M still waiting for my cable-connectable GPSr to come in the mail! The suspense is KILLING me!

:rolleyes:

Hang on now! I've only just heard about MacCaching (excuse the late entry!), and .loc files on an iPod would be ridiculously convenient for me. The problem is, I don't have a Mac, only a PC. <_< I checked the website for the MacCaching software, but it didn't say whether or not it's cross-compatible, like iTunes is, for example. Does anyone know?

Just looked at MacCaching, and it seems to only send the GC# to a GPS. Does anyone know if it (or any other Mac program) that can send a smartname, like what GSAK does? I'm ready to buy GSAK, but I would like to stick to the Mac side of things if I can.

It will do this. Start out with a GPX eXchange file of the cache listing. Open it in MacCaching. Select it and click the "To GPS" button a window opens up as such:

caf37285-80db-4730-9469-d00bc57b8eb0.jpg

In the "Options, change the "GC Code" to "Long Name" and click that 'ol "OK" button and off it goes.

Edit to add: the paperless options are also here on the lower left.

Edited by coggins

Hey, that's great! I've had the nag screen of GSAK now for a while, and the program (rightfully so) becomes almost unusable. I'm ready to pay, but it would be nice to not boot into Windows to load my waypoints onto the GPS. My primary motivation for using GSAK was to have the smart name on my GPS, rather than the GC#.

Hang on now! I've only just heard about MacCaching (excuse the late entry!), and .loc files on an iPod would be ridiculously convenient for me. The problem is, I don't have a Mac, only a PC. :P I checked the website for the MacCaching software, but it didn't say whether or not it's cross-compatible, like iTunes is, for example. Does anyone know?

GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) is a very powerful, unbelievably-useful program that I'm sure can do what you want . . . although I don't know what format the iPod requires. GSAK can Export information in 19 different formats . . . as well as filter, slice, and dice the data you get from Pocket Queries after you become a Premium Member. :P

The best place to ask questions about GSAK is in their Help Forums where the really smart people hang out . . . :P

Edited by Miragee

Hang on now! I've only just heard about MacCaching (excuse the late entry!), and .loc files on an iPod would be ridiculously convenient for me. The problem is, I don't have a Mac, only a PC. :P I checked the website for the MacCaching software, but it didn't say whether or not it's cross-compatible, like iTunes is, for example. Does anyone know?

GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) is a very powerful, unbelievably-useful program that I'm sure can do what you want . . . although I don't know what format the iPod requires. GSAK can Export information in 19 different formats . . . as well as filter, slice, and dice the data you get from Pocket Queries after you become a Premium Member. :P

The best place to ask questions about GSAK is in their Help Forums where the really smart people hang out . . . :P

c://windows/programs/GSAK.exe [pipe] iPod

GSAK will work with you iPod unless it's a shuffle.

Even if the iPod is formatted in Mac format?

Ok. Got the Etrex Legend in the mail today. I'm all excited.

I have the serial cord and I need to get a USB adapter for it. I know the cheap adapters seem to NOT work because of an older format or something and the one I need is more expensive but has a newer format, or whatever.

So, my question is...do they sell the one I need at Radio Shack and how would I recognize it if they did?

I know I can get them mail order but I want to try it out tonight, tomorrow, this weekend.

Any chance of that?

Thanks, again, for all your assistance!

:P

Hang on now! I've only just heard about MacCaching (excuse the late entry!), and .loc files on an iPod would be ridiculously convenient for me. The problem is, I don't have a Mac, only a PC. :lol: I checked the website for the MacCaching software, but it didn't say whether or not it's cross-compatible, like iTunes is, for example. Does anyone know?

GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) is a very powerful, unbelievably-useful program that I'm sure can do what you want . . . although I don't know what format the iPod requires. GSAK can Export information in 19 different formats . . . as well as filter, slice, and dice the data you get from Pocket Queries after you become a Premium Member. :laughing:

The best place to ask questions about GSAK is in their Help Forums where the really smart people hang out . . . :blink:

Even if the iPod is formatted in Mac format?

Sorry for the typo, I meant to write "GSAK will work with your iPod, unless it's a shuffle." Did someone see my missing "r", where in blazes did it go?

Yes you will have to install a program such as MacDisk or TransMac, and with Apple upgrading from HSF+ to HSFX as of OSX 10.3, TransMac is a better choice. The iPod shuffle does not have a screen so that is why I wrote "unless it's a shuffle". But if you have a Mac formatted iPod, you most likely have a Mac and that makes the point mute as MacCaching will save to an iPod format from the screen I pictured above. The command line was a joke, sorry you missed that.

Anyway, as far as an USB to RS-232 D9M adapter, the iogear GUC232A works with Mac's running OSX and the Garmin unit you picked up. Radio shack, if they have an OSX driver it could be ok. I've heard of some $5 cheap-o's work as well.

Anyway, as far as an USB to RS-232 D9M adapter, the iogear GUC232A works with Mac's running OSX and the Garmin unit you picked up. Radio shack, if they have an OSX driver it could be ok. I've heard of some $5 cheap-o's work as well.

I've heard the cheapo adapters will work with this on a Mac.

Edited by tabulator32