Military Swag & Church Swag

steve638

Jessus destroyed entire cities, but that's neither here nor there. If I, as a christian, am forced to deal with swag that I find offensive, then why shouldn't "you" (not anyone specific), have to deal with things that you find offensive?

You AREN'T forced to deal with it. If you don't like it, ignore it. There is no rule that says you MUST take something.

Most of the time I do ignore it.. There are times when the material is so offensive, that (in my opinion) it needs to be traded out for something else... This topic is about whether or not religious material should even be allowed to be in caches. If McToys are offensive to you, trade them out for something that isn't. If a Wiccan item is offensive to me, I'll trade it out for something else. No harm, no foul.. It's my decision to make, not yours.

I go at it the other way around. If it is offensive to me (and dadgum few things are), I leave it alone. Why in the world would I take something that I don't like. That's just my way, your mileage may vary.

Speaking of offensive (or not), and somewhat on topic as we were caching in a nearby town with a very substantial military presence this past Sunday. About 3' from where we actually found the cache we observed :) a very very large uumm male replica. Whoever had discarded it there had used it so much that it was broken and patched together with duct tape as well. :)

We weren't offended, but highly amused and made sophmoric references to it the rest of the day. I wasn't going to CITO it, as who knows where it has been, and didn't put it into the cache to surprise the next seeker, as it wouldn't fit in a 50mm ammo can. :)

It was on a nice tract of land though. B)

Jessus destroyed entire cities, but that's neither here nor there. If I, as a christian, am forced to deal with swag that I find offensive, then why shouldn't "you" (not anyone specific), have to deal with things that you find offensive?

You AREN'T forced to deal with it. If you don't like it, ignore it. There is no rule that says you MUST take something.

Taking an item off a TB is stealing. That's against the rules, of both society and most faiths.

Trading out a bunch of cache crap that's against your faith, fair game, and the right thing to do if you actually do more than lip service to your particular faith.

This doesn't change if the cache crap are things generally prohibited such as pocket knifes and food.

Having integrety doesn't allow you to ignore certain things. Having little integrety does allow you the freedom to pick and choose the parts of your own beliefs and values to pay attention too.

You are right, there is no rule that says you must do the right thing. Only strong suggestions that you should.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Taking an item off a TB is stealing. That's against the rules, of both society and most faiths.

This seems like deja-vu :) I want to clarify that the item I removed from the TB was not originally a part of the TB that was released. I knew the owner of the TB and admitted, instead of removing the item myself, I should have notified him and let him take care of it, or get permission from him to remove it. That said, I wouldn't say that I "Stole" anything from the TB, being that the item was placed on the TB without the owners consent.