PQs not running? (Dec 16th)

beejay&esskay

I created a new PQ and it ran immediately. Is it really true that PQs that haven't run for a week are too far down in the queue to run yet?

It is more about PQ's that have *not* been run for a longer time period are moved up and run quicker. If you run a PQ every day or every week, it can be delayed and may not run the day you request it. I made this point in the other topic about adding more logs to PQs (and even more stress to the PQ server).

I noticed this yesterday. I don't have any "scheduled" PQs. I just run them periodically, and they usually run within a minute or two. When I requested one that hadn't been run for several days, it did not run, so after more than an hour of waiting for it, I created a "Copy."

That PQ ran immediately, the way the other ones usually run if they haven't been requested for several days.

The PQs have been so "obedient" lately, this was a bit of a disappointment . . . :D Does this mean lots more people have become Premium Members. :D

I created a new PQ and it ran immediately. Is it really true that PQs that haven't run for a week are too far down in the queue to run yet?

It is more about PQ's that have *not* been run for a longer time period are moved up and run quicker. If you run a PQ every day or every week, it can be delayed and may not run the day you request it. I made this point in the other topic about adding more logs to PQs (and even more stress to the PQ server).

"May not run the day we request it......" Isn't that contrary to what Premium Membership offers of 5 queries a day? Shouldn't matter which 5 queries we chose to run.

I ran a new query today and got it. And old query that hasn't run in a few days still hasn't arrived.

Same problem here - I have three that should have run but didn't.

I copied all three and then started checking them off. First one OK (and ran right away), Second one OK, Third one says "You already ran your 5". No I didn't!

I think the scheduling process tagged me as having run it but the actual process didn't complete so no PQ data. Since they run now I suspect that whatever was broke is OK now but this issue still needs to be addressed. Not fair to "charge" me for something I never got.

I have some scheduled PQs that run every Sunday. The last time ran was 12/9/2007 12:09:20 AM. So it should have been one of the first to run today.

But it hasn't run yet (per the website. This is NOT an e-mail issue.)

Does anyone else have PQs running?

I copied all three and then started checking them off. First one OK (and ran right away), Second one OK, Third one says "You already ran your 5". No I didn't!

Be sure to uncheck your regularly-scheduled Pocket Queries after creating the copies. You will get that error message if you have more than five PQs checked for a given day regardless of whether or not any have actually run.

Let's see.... three missed pocket queries works out to just shy of a shiny nickel out of the $30 premium membership fee. (This assumes that the user derives/perceives NO other benefit from premium membership, or else the value would be lower.)

Sometimes my cable service and/or my electric service goes out during a storm. I'm a paying customer!!! But I know the answer I'd get if I asked for a prorated refund. :rolleyes:

I have some scheduled PQs that run every Sunday. The last time ran was 12/9/2007 12:09:20 AM. So it should have been one of the first to run today.

From time to time mine won't run on the selected day. Sometimes one won't run but another one does. It's like it's "stuck". :rolleyes:

A trick I picked up on to get around a PQ not running is to make a copy of the PQ and run that. The copy seems to always run right away and the original may never run that day at all. :D

I have no idea why but I just did this again yesterday to get a PQ and it worked. Got the copy PQ fast and the original never ran.

oops - I didn't read the entire thread and I see someone already mentioned this workaround.

Edited by jackrock

I've been watching this as my scheduled PQs from yesterday (12/16) did not run either. It's been interesting to note that one of the two I had scheduled for yesterday ran and arrived earlier this morning. But there's been no sign of the 2nd from yesterday or anything that I have normally scheduled for today. I'll probably have to run copies as well.

Theyve started up again now guess someone's flicked a switch somewhere ta :rolleyes:

Yep, the ones I had scheduled yesterday ran this morning. Now will those scheduled to run today go too?

Hope you didn't have 5 of them come in this morning, or you won't see your scheduled ones for today until tomorrow... The 5 I had scheduled for today (which usually run by now) haven't come up yet. I used the "copy" workaround yesterday (THANK YOU for that solution). I'm hoping these will run today & not be delayed until tomorrow.

Anybody from GS going to give us an update on this?

Be sure to uncheck your regularly-scheduled Pocket Queries after creating the copies. You will get that error message if you have more than five PQs checked for a given day regardless of whether or not any have actually run.

I tried that - didn't make any difference. It said I had already RUN 5 PQs that day.

I think the scheduling process tagged me as having run it but the actual process didn't complete so no PQ data. Since they run now I suspect that whatever was broke is OK now but this issue still needs to be addressed. Not fair to "charge" me for something I never got.

Today I got the three PQs that should have run yesterday. I'm thinking the scheduler machine has the wrong date? If so they REALLY need to set up something to prevent this. It's something I never even have to think about on a Linux machine.

I get 2 small PQ's sent to me each day. Up till this weekend, i got my 2 each and every day. But I didn't get Sunday's and haven't got todays yet (Monday @ 3:00pm EST).

So if this happened to you, you are not alone.

I sure hope I continue to get the same great service I have grown use too at geocaching.com and don't have to re-order them each day just to get my 2. (which i haven't done)

This problem will only make more people re-submit them so they can get ahead of the line, and make matters worse...

I don't mind missing a day in a very odd time (like maybe once every other month). But if it gets routine, might have to withdraw my big 3 dollars a month. Nothing speaks louder then $$$

--danny

Edited by mo_town_man

3:30 PM and no sign of the three pocket queries that I run every Monday and Thursday. Their usual arrival time is a ten minute span around 10 AM. My Sunday pocket query never did run. :lol:

It might be nice for someone from Groundspeak to toss us some kind of explanatory bone. :huh:

Interesting. My 4 queries which normally run early on Sunday ran around 3:00 AM on Monday (today). My 4 PQ's for today have not run yet though...

I am having a hard time understanding how an immediate request can take precedence over a previously scheduled PQ? You would think that the new requests would go to the end of the line and when it was their turn they would get processed. All scheduled PQ's no matter how old should be processed first before any new copy gets runs. Sound to me like the PQ scheduler process is out of whack if they are not even running.

I run a single PQ everyday called "Daily" and it has not run since Dec 15th. Today I created a "copy" and it ran immediately but it was INCOMPLETE. It did not contain any NEW caches Published today on DEC 17th.

So, be careful of those copies as they may be incomplete!

I just did the same thing. My daily PQ hasn't come through in a couple of days. Did a copy of it and got the data fine. All 500 came through.

But how stupid is that? They must have processing capability. My copy came over in less than a minute.

It would be nice if someone would fess up and say they have a bug and it is being worked on.

I am having a hard time understanding how an immediate request can take precedence over a previously scheduled PQ?

The algorithm is "run the PQ that was run least recently." The effect of this is that a newly created PQ runs immediately because it has never run.

Most of PQs that run once a week will run at about the same time that they ran last week. It is only in cases where something goes wrong that it becomes an issue.

I have a number of PQs that run weekly. So far they haven't run this week by mid-day, so I make copies and deactivate the original PQ. So the "run immediately" rule is working for me...and I don't see any trouble with it in normal times where it might put PQs ahead of my scheduled ones.

I am having a hard time understanding how an immediate request can take precedence over a previously scheduled PQ? You would think that the new requests would go to the end of the line and when it was their turn they would get processed. All scheduled PQ's no matter how old should be processed first before any new copy gets runs. Sound to me like the PQ scheduler process is out of whack if they are not even running.

I had an issue on a new PQ based upon a route that would not query based upon cache type. You could select to query for just one cache type or for multiple types and it would provide all of them, regardless what was selected. When you went back into it the PQ page it did not show that your request for particular types saved. All the other criteria worked fine however. I archived this PQ and tried it again and it worked fine the second time.

I have PQs that run on certain days and I have the day's name in them for ease of id on the PQ page.

Sunday's (16th) didn't run on Sunday but came on Monday and Monday's came this morning (Tuesday). It would be good to know if the PQ machine is running a day behind or if I need to stop Tuesday's so that Wednesday's runs as normal rather than being a day out of sync for ever :)

edit to say:

Nevermind....Tuesday's just came.....looks like things are back to normal :)

Edited by dino-irl

Just got most of mine for today as well. It woulkd be nice to know what the problem was though.

Same here!! Seems the only 2 i didn't get was on Sunday. First time they didn't come since i been getting 2 each day. So thats acceptable to me, and i'll keep paying my 3 dollars a month. Things do happen, and i do understand that.

--danny