5 Difficulty 5 Teraine, 4 part multi cache, worth doing?, or to discouraging?

mrbeachroach

Im about to reallase a mega cahce, that is going to rock this towns world. Its a 5 for 5 that has a 4 part multi cache, all stages are pretty intence 2 of them are evil caches that are Big enough to find, but way out of the box. One is just insane, and the last is like a dinosaure trying to hide behind a bush!!!!! Would this discourage you? Would you like more like this in your area? I get so tired of Lamp Scirt Micros around here, that Im ready to step up the game. If this was in your area would you want spoilers or clues for each stage?

Im about to reallase a mega cahce, that is going to rock this towns world. Its a 5 for 5 that has a 4 part multi cache, all stages are pretty intence 2 of them are evil caches that are Big enough to find, but way out of the box. One is just insane, and the last is like a dinosaure trying to hide behind a bush!!!!! Would this discourage you? Would you like more like this in your area? I get so tired of Lamp Scirt Micros around here, that Im ready to step up the game. If this was in your area would you want spoilers or clues for each stage?

I'd be interested, but would probably wait for someone else to get the FTF so I knew I wasn't wasting my gas and time. I'm not real fond of evil micros or nanos, if I found out they were involved that wouldn't add any incentive for me to go after the thing. But would I flat out refuse to do it? No, not at all. If I knew I'd be taken to some great locations along the way, I'd probably crank it right up to the top of my "to do" list.

The general rule is, "If you hide it, they will come". How many will come depends, but someone will always do a new cache.

Good for you. It sounds interesting. I'm not sure if any of the stages are needle in the haystack micros, but I really don't care for those.

Absolutely, we need more of those in our area! I just released a 5/5 myself, just waiting for approval. Here in suburbia I am getting very bored with caches in parks and parking lots and anything interesting thats within a reasonable driving distance I have completed. We need more 5/5! or at least terrains of 3 and higher! Bring them on!

I will be releasing more of them too! :laughing:

Easiest to just quote what I posted in another thread last week:

<PEEVE>

I don't think I have ever seen a true 5/5 cache. (That doesn't mean one doesn't exist somewhere)

A legitimate 5/5 would require special skills/equipment to get to the cache (5 terrain), and then require special skills/equipment to find/retrieve the cache once you got there (5 difficulty).

For example: An ammo can sitting on a ledge that requires a 200ft repel to reach would be a 1/5 cache, not a 5/5.

</PEEVE>

Now that we have that out of the way.....

My personal preference is either high difficulty or high terrain, not both.

If I need to perform an extreme challenge to reach the cache, I don't want to have to spend hours and hours or multiple trips to log the cache. Once I've done the hard task of getting to the cache I want a gimme.

By the same token, if I'm going to have to jump through difficult hoops to actually sign the log then make the cache location easy to get to so I can keep coming back again and again until I get it right.

Will it be a true 5/5? Do you need special equpment to get to the cache location and to retrieve the cache? That's the stuff that makes it a true 5/5. :D

I have hidden quite a few 5/5 caches.... But they are NOT true 5/5s a lot of the time.

I have 2 that are under water several weeks to several months of the year. They are true 5/5s then. :D

I have many that are hidden in 4WD ONLY areas, but you can hike the same roads if you like self abuse. When they are covered with 5+ feet of snow, they are true 5/5s. :D

I make no secret of the fact that I tend to go a tad higher on my ratings for my more out of the way caches to keep the unprepared away. :D

Contrary to popular belief a 5 / 5 does not require special equipment. They have to be mentally and physically demanding. And making one does require a lot of work. And when you are finally done then you sit and wait for the one or two finds a year. I have hidden several of them and the reviews are worth the effort.

1. The Dessert

2. Mac's Mountain Delight

3. Corey's Safari III This cache was just upgraded and re-hid from its original version.

And I have more on the map board for '08, doesn't make sense to quit when I'm having fun.

Be prepared for it to go months between attempts, though. Do not expect to be flooded with finders emails raving about how great the cache was. It will get an attempt every now and then, and probably many DNF's, based on what you said about it. Also be prepared to do the neccessary maintenance on the cache, including checking up on stages when a couple of DNFs come in on it, even if it turns out that the stage is in perfectly good condition. What you're talking about is going to involve quite a responsibility on your behalf... be sure that you are ready to accept that.

A couple three 4 or 5 level caches would be okay. 3's are enough for me. Keep popping a few more of those out there and I'll be happy.

I'd probably go after a cache like that if I had the time. What I've noticed from cachers in my area (and it's probably true in most areas) is that there are some who tend to shy away from the harder ones, and then there are those who only go after the tougher ones, and then there are those who insist on doing every single cache in the area, no matter how easy or how hard. I guess that just goes to show you that geocaching has something for everybody. I hid a 4/4 puzzle cache and it doesn't have anywhere near the finds that my 2.5 terrain one nearby does. Some people cache with young children, some people are physically impaired, and some people just don't want to run around a steep wooded hillside for 2 miles. But there are quite a few cachers who really appreciate a tough challenge.

If you will have fun hiding it, and reading the occasional logs on those who will seek it, go for it. Not every cache has to be for every hider. Some will ignore it simply for being a multi. I did that myself on Sunday.

If it is a true adventure, it may even get a reputation like Tube Torcher, and cachers will travel from afar just to claim a find on it.

I would wait and see if others find it. I'm a hesitant to go after a cache with high diff/terrain ratings placed by someone who's only hidden 2 caches. I suggest hiding a few more caches before trying to hide a 5/5. You have to crawl before you walk, as the saying goes.

Be prepared for it to go months between attempts, though. Do not expect to be flooded with finders emails raving about how great the cache was. It will get an attempt every now and then, and probably many DNF's, based on what you said about it. Also be prepared to do the neccessary maintenance on the cache, including checking up on stages when a couple of DNFs come in on it, even if it turns out that the stage is in perfectly good condition. What you're talking about is going to involve quite a responsibility on your behalf... be sure that you are ready to accept that.

Great advise, now that we have this (go for it), what do you all think about the clues or spoilers? If you offer spoilers how should they be done on the listing page?

What makes it a 5? I have found a few boating caches, but don't own a boat so I have not found all the nearby ones. I skip rapelling caches altogether. If it's just "hard" and does not require special skills or equipment or a VERY long trip, it may not truly be a 5/5.