Ontario Ghost Towns

J'nK

here is my ghost town cache - Ghost Town McKinnon - It is just a few kilometers from Ghost town Josephine, but alot harder to get to (I recommend a canoe). My ghost town even comes with it's own monster!

The most impressive ghost town (ghost city more like) has been Depot Harbour on Parry island west of Parry Sound. I had visited there pre-GC days, and tried to camp there (but didn't quite work)

Creighton (near Sudbury) has been one of the ghost towns featured in the CBC series. The site has 2 caches

(one near the memorial plaque). CCI3NH1, GCP339

The French River village that had a monsterous turn-of-the-century limber trade has 2 nearby.

GCGK5K, GC7E5A

The original Wabi settlement (New Liskeard) has NOGST030 nearby..

The idea of ghost town caches accompanied by some sort of local history is pretty appealing.

Another thing I find fitting would be to create caches with documentation, if necessary, near the original site of relocated graveyards. Ontario is rife with situations where small community graveyards have lost an expropriation battle to the mighty highway.

Creighton (near Sudbury) has been one of the ghost towns featured in the CBC series. The site has 2 caches

(one near the memorial plaque). CCI3NH1, GCP339

The French River village that had a monsterous turn-of-the-century limber trade has 2 nearby.

GCGK5K, GC7E5A

The original Wabi settlement (New Liskeard) has NOGST030 nearby..

The idea of ghost town caches accompanied by some sort of local history is pretty appealing.

Another thing I find fitting would be to create caches with documentation, if necessary, near the original site of relocated graveyards. Ontario is rife with situations where small community graveyards have lost an expropriation battle to the mighty highway.

I wanted to bump this topic... this is of interest to me too.

Does anyone have any new ghost town caches to add to the list?

GC1AK0K Olinda Cemetery in the former hamlet of Olinda. Between Cottam & Leamington, postally in Kingsville. The cemetery alone is worth the trip. The surviving headstones date back to the mid 1800s.

The former hamlet of Olinda is mentioned in Ron Brown's Ghost Town's of Ontario, Vol. 1, for having been the site of a bustling iron furnace in the 1820s. According to Brown the workforce numbered up to 100 at its peak. To put this in perspective, today you'll only see a handful of homes as you pass through Olinda. Brown goes on to state the furnace ceased operation by the late 1840s and "...thus Olinda, the iron town, became a ghost town."

The 1881 Unitarian Universalist Church on Olinda Sideroad is today still an active UU church. Its own website states that "...in 1881, Olinda was a little hamlet served by a general store, a post office, a school, a Methodist Church, and a blacksmith shop." I'm not sure if/where the remains of the general store, blacksmith, and post office are, but the old school appears to have been the subject of a conversion to residence. The church still stands, along with some other Victorian era homes if you look hard enough. And according to Brown, you can find the remains of an an old lime kiln in Olinda.

GC16E8Z New Salem - another Essex county cache - not far from Olinda.

New Salem was a hamlet the comprised a settlement dating back to the 1700s of black pioneers who were mainly refugees from slavery in the USA. The cache is on the grounds of their cemetery that is designated under the Ontario Heritage Act. No intact headstones to see, just a feeling of awe from standing amidst such a historically important location.

The hamlet of New Salem itself was centered around Division road and 3rd Concession, according to a gov't marker on the site. There are no other existing buildings or artifacts in the area that was New Salem that I know of, except of course for the cemetery, which is worth a visit in its own right.