Didn't have a pin

dwayne23

I got off work early yesterday to eat with some others from work for the holidays. I stopped by the park with a friend and his kids to find a cach found it and didn't have a pin to sing the log. I have never done this before and I have not loged it yet as found. Do I need to wait and go back and sign the log and then log or is it a problem to go a head and log it???

I would log it as a found with an explanation as to why I didn't sign the log. I would also send the owner an email with enough information about the cache so they knew I had actually been there.

The owner of the cache may delete your log, but you know you were there, and that's all that counts.

Caches should, but don't always contain a writing instrument. Some exceptions are micros.

El Diablo

I just can't help myself ...

Unless you were playing golf with the cache or poking a small hole in it, you didn't need a pin, you needed a pen.

Oh, come on, now. That wasn't helpful. You're just being mean. Bad x_Marks!! You go sit in a corner.

Yes, x_Marks, you were naughty...although--If you really did have a pin, instead of a pen, you could use it to punch out your caching signature in pinholes that could be read when held to the light or up against something dark!

I've lost a pen inbetween caches, it happens. Or even forget with pocket it went in until I pull it out of the washer"Many times", not a nice sight. But most cache owners have been there before so I still think you can log it with little grief. How's the local geo-police around there anyways? :D

I got off work early yesterday to eat with some others from work for the holidays. I stopped by the park with a friend and his kids to find a cach found it and didn't have a pin to sing the log. I have never done this before and I have not loged it yet as found. Do I need to wait and go back and sign the log and then log or is it a problem to go a head and log it???

I have seen logs where cachers signed the log books with the charcoal off the end of a burned stick, with grass, or by poking holes in the paper (braille effect) when a pen/pencil was forgotten. Because they identified the mark in the log book as theirs, it would still show they had been to the cache.

you can sometimes improvise. finding something to sign a log with when you have no pen is sometimes more fun than finding the cache itself. :D

I've signed logs with many different things. the most memorable of which was a tube of chocolate-flavored chapstick someone had left in the cache. I made sure to note online exactly what happened, because it certainly looked like it could have been any number of other things smeared on the page, and I didn't want anyone in the future to be suprised at the log entry.

I went back today and signed the log. Took off work and made a day of with a 13 year old boy who has never been. He doesn't have a daddy that does anything with him so he spent the day with me. We had a ball. Thanks for the help.

If the cache is easy to get too and not too inconvenient, that's what I would do. I'm glad to see you took someone along and hope he enjoyed it, geocaching is a great hobby to share with others and a great way of enjoying the outdoors.

I always carry a pen in my pack, not just for caching but so I always have something to write with! But in the past I have torn off the corner of the cache page print out that says "you are logged in as vw_keychain" and left that in with the logbook as proof I was there.

Happy caching.

Dave

Some caches never had one and others used to but don't anymore. A writing device is a basic part of the Geocacher tool kit and one should NEVER leave home without one. I carry a Fisher space pen. They fit nicely in the pocket, won't leak, and will write on nearly anything.

I completely agree with this.

a writing device is essential, its the staple tool for geocaching (yes some even cache without a gps, but not me). find a cache, sign the log.

I also carry a fisher space pen, a trekker that clips for my belt loop so i don't loose it. (i lost a bullet space pen while out caching once)

Edited by Nero

And next time, perhaps leave an earmark. Sometimes, instead of or in conjunction with branding, notches will be cut in one or the other of a calf's ear. These notches are permanent and can be used to easily identify ownership even if the brands have been tampered with. Tear a notch or two along the edge of the log as your sig, and be sure to identify who dunnit in your log. You can sign the log next time through the neighborhood and leave a note online then.

I just can't help myself ...

Unless you were playing golf with the cache or poking a small hole in it, you didn't need a pin, you needed a pen.

Oh, come on, now. That wasn't helpful. You're just being mean. Bad x_Marks!! You go sit in a corner.

I guess you haven't found any of those new fangled Caches that require you to sign in blood, thus verifing through DNA that a Cacher has in fact been to the site, rather than having a stunt double sign their name. (the PIN was needed to prick a finger)

Oh, come on, now. That wasn't helpful. You're just being mean. Bad WSR!! You go sit in a corner.