eTrex Vista HCx Owners *ONLY* - Chime In

mass-trax

There are a number of threads on this board discussing a possible "bug" with the Trip Computer on the eTrex Vista HCx. The issue being that speeds below ~2.0mph do not register with the device and therefore certain data points are incorrect (moving time, speed, distance, etc). Branded as an "on the trail" GPS, where most people are walking, hiking, or geocaching, this is obviously an undesirable feature - especially when previous Vista series units (Vista, Vista C, Vista Cx) did not have this problem.

There also seems to be a lot of confusion as to what versions of the unit are out there and which have the "bug". The different versions consist of numerous unit Software Versions and GPS SW Versions.

So, in an effort to consolidate the responses and see if we can determine which units are affected, I was hoping to have eTrex Vista HCx users ONLY respond to the following questions to see if we can isolate the issue. Please check out your unit and respond accordingly:

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase?

2 - Purchase Location?

3 - Unit Software Version? *

4 - GPS SW Version? *

5 - Unit ID? *

6 - Have you updated the firmware yourself?

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? **

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function?

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue?

Here are my responses:

1 - 11/16/2007

2 - REI

3 - 2.40

4 - 2.30

5 - 3367702070

6 - Yes

7 - Yes

8 - Yes

9 - Yes

* To find out these unit details, follow these steps:

Goto the Main Menu, then to Setup:

2005923741407900648_rs.jpg

Access the System icon from the Setup screen:

2005990405677323569_rs.jpg

Press the menu button, select Software Version:

2005937459330520979_rs.jpg

Record the Software Version, GPS SW Version, and Unit ID:

2005919799245326418_rs.jpg

(If you are not running the latest firmware, please see Garmin's website.)

** If you are unsure if your unit is affected by the bug, go outside, turn the unit on, access the Trip Computer page, reset the Trip Computer, and walk very slowly (under 2.0mph) over a distance of a half mile or so. If your unit is affected, the Trip Computer odometer, moving time, speed, etc, should all show incorrect values - ie: the moving time might say 2m35seconds vs. 14-15mins, the distance may show 0.1 miles instead of 0.45 or 0.50 miles, etc). It doesn't take much to confirm if your unit has the "bug"!

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? July 24, 2007

2 - Purchase Location? Offroute

3 - Unit Software Version? 2.40

4 - GPS SW Version? 2.30

5 - Unit ID? 3348872***

6 - Have you updated the firmware yourself? Yes

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? Yes

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function? Yes

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue? Yes

Edited by jmundinger

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? Early August, 2007

2 - Purchase Location? Offroute.com

4 - GPS SW Version? 2.30

5 - Unit ID? N/A

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? No (never bothered)

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function? No

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue? No

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? July 2007

2 - Purchase Location? navifuture.de

4 - GPS SW Version? 2.30

5 - Unit ID? 334597****

6 - Have you updated the firmware yourself? YES

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? YES - i was the first who posted that problem :D

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function? YES

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue? YES

Edited by freeday

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? November 2007

2 - Purchase Location? Daves Sporting Goods

4 - GPS SW Version? 2.30

5 - Unit ID?

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? No

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function? No Why is this necessary to find a cache? I have had no issues finding caches and until this forum did not know there was an issue.

Why is this necessary to find a cache? I have had no issues finding caches and until this forum did not know there was an issue.

It isn't, unless you prefer caches involve a bit of a hike to locate.

In my case, caching is not the primary reason that I own a GPS or the reason why I purchased one with the capability of the Vista HCX.

Okay . . . I'll play . . . :D

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? August 2007

2 - Purchase Location? Online from "The Nerds"

4 - GPS SW Version? 2.20

5 - Unit ID? 33460*****

6 - Have you updated the firmware yourself? Yes, a few weeks ago

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? YES

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue? No, but maybe I should . . .

Yesterday I took a hike with a friend who has a Garmin Forerunner. My Trip Computer said we traveled 2.86 miles. Her GPSr said we went 3.4. On another hike, my Vista HCx said we traveled 6.81 miles. I think her Forerunner recorded 7.4 miles. On this hike, even the Tracks downloaded to the computer didn't record that distance:

d7479bef-87f7-4026-84ef-f4b6bc070ad1.jpg

When I hike with another friend who has a GPS Map60CSx, the difference between the two units has been more than 10%. It was worse prior to when I updated the firmware, if I remember correctly . . . :laughing:

Edited by Miragee

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase?Nov 20, 2007

2 - Purchase Location?amazon

3 - Unit Software Version? *2.40

4 - GPS SW Version? *2.30

5 - Unit ID? *337350****

6 - Have you updated the firmware yourself?Yes

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? ** Odometer is only off by by 5-10%, while running, speed is all over the place at a steady pace.

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function?Yes

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue?No

Other bug: Altimeter shows inaccurate elevation changes. It's pancake flat here and Trip Comp. shows significant elevation gain.

Tracks for the most part seem to be right on. If the speed calculation could have an algorithm that confirms speed and time against track data it might be nice.

1 - Approx Date of Purchase = December 4, 2007

2 - Location of Purchase = REI.com

3 - Software Version = 2.40

4 - GPS Software Version = 2.30

5 - Upgraded myself = No, software versions were that way out of the box

6 - Unit ID = 3373502537

7 - Noticed low speed issue = Yes

8 - Use depends on odometer function = Yes

9 - Contacted Garmin = No

Edited by DesertDweller

1 - July 30, 2007

2 - TVNAV.com

3 - v2.40

4 - v2.30

5 - 3354290850

6 - Yes

7 - Yes!

8 - Yes. Nothing gets updated when its "frozen" (GPSr thinks speed is 0), including the compass, which is annoying when trying to find a cache.

9 - Yes. I just sent a e-mail from the website right now.

Edited by Green_Wood

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? July 2007

2 - Purchase Location? ebay

4 - GPS SW Version? 2.30

5 - Unit ID? 33488720**

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue? NO

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? September, 2007

2 - Purchase Location? Shop ePal

4 - GPS SW Version? 2.30

5 - Unit ID? 335607****

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue? Yes

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? August, 2007, replaced under warranty by Garmin (broken battery tab) November, 2007

2 - Purchase Location? TVNAV

4 - GPS SW Version? 2.40

5 - Unit ID? 338209****

6 - Have you updated the firmware yourself? No, replacement unit came with 2.40

Other bug: Altimeter shows inaccurate elevation changes. It's pancake flat here and Trip Comp. shows significant elevation gain.

fixedelmx6.gif

Under Main Menu->Setup>Altimeter be sure that you have selected Variable Elevation under Barometer Mode.

I have the settings just as you described. Fooling around with this unit, while sitting at my desk in the last 30 minutes, I have, according to my altimeter, sunk through the slab foundation and am now typing 70 feet below my house. Oh, now i'm beginning to surface now. It's really interesting, but i would swear I haven't left my chair.

fixedelmx6.gif

Under Main Menu->Setup>Altimeter be sure that you have selected Variable Elevation under Barometer Mode.

I have the settings just as you described. Fooling around with this unit, while sitting at my desk in the last 30 minutes, I have, according to my altimeter, sunk through the slab foundation and am now typing 70 feet below my house. Oh, now i'm beginning to surface now. It's really interesting, but i would swear I haven't left my chair.

Not a bug. Here's what Garmin has to say about it:

Using the autocalibration feature on the device, the accuracy is +/- 50-125ft (same as GPS elevation). When manually calibrating (autocalibration off) to a known elevation it is approximately +/- 10ft for the first 15 minutes. The unit should be calibrated hourly to maintain accuracy when using manual calibration because of possible preassure changes.

If using a locally reported pressure reading to calibrate the device, the accuracy of the altimeter would depend on the time and location of the reading.

With WAAS and good reception you can obtain an accuracy of +/- 25-50ft.

Oh, and before getting into the why bother with pressure altimeter comments, the pressure altimeter (in autocalibrate) smooths the transitions caused by the short-term GPS jumping, while the GPS altitude keeps the longer term accuracy, without manual recalibration.

Also, if you did not calibrate your altitude when you turned on your unit, it starts off on its last known calibration and takes awhile to autocalibrate (part of the smoothing routine). If the atmospheric pressure has changed quite a bit since you last turned it off, it will be out by more initially and take longer to get close than if the pressure is the same or similar.

Back to the original thread (2 units):

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? Aug 07, Nov 07

2 - Purchase Location? Prairie Geomatics X2

3 - Unit Software Version? * 2.40, 2.40

4 - GPS SW Version? * 2.30, 2.40

5 - Unit ID? * yes to both

6 - Have you updated the firmware yourself? yes on the first

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? ** yes on the first (you have to be walking really, really slow, I had a hard time going that slow), haven't tried on the second

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function? no, no

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue? no, no

Edited by dogwalkers2

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? August 2007

2 - Purchase Location? navifuture.de

4 - GPS SW Version? 2.30

5 - Unit ID? 16D007361

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue? NO

Using the autocalibration feature on the device, the accuracy is +/- 50-125ft (same as GPS elevation). When manually calibrating (autocalibration off) to a known elevation it is approximately +/- 10ft for the first 15 minutes. The unit should be calibrated hourly to maintain accuracy when using manual calibration because of possible preassure changes.

If using a locally reported pressure reading to calibrate the device, the accuracy of the altimeter would depend on the time and location of the reading.

Oh, and before getting into the why bother with pressure altimeter comments, the pressure altimeter (in autocalibrate) smooths the transitions caused by the short-term GPS jumping, while the GPS altitude keeps the longer term accuracy, without manual recalibration.

Also, if you did not calibrate your altitude when you turned on your unit, it starts off on its last known calibration and takes awhile to autocalibrate (part of the smoothing routine). If the atmospheric pressure has changed quite a bit since you last turned it off, it will be out by more initially and take longer to get close than if the pressure is the same or similar.

I get it. The altimeter is dysfunctional by limitations of barometric pressure changes. I need to know the altitude or barometric pressure, from some other source, and recalibrate at least every hour, so that the Vista HCx will tell me the altitude to +/-150 feet. But it's "not a bug."

Really, I'm not against this GPSr. It's way beyond anything that's available in the current $219 price point.

Unfortunately the speed under 2 mph is likely to have equally distasteful limitations.

I get it. The altimeter is dysfunctional by limitations of barometric pressure changes. I need to know the altitude or barometric pressure, from some other source, and recalibrate at least every hour, so that the Vista HCx will tell me the altitude to +/-150 feet. But it's "not a bug."

Really, I'm not against this GPSr. It's way beyond anything that's available in the current $219 price point.

Unfortunately the speed under 2 mph is likely to have equally distasteful limitations.

Actually, if you do what you mention, the accuracy is +/- 10 feet. If you leave it in autocalibrate, its accuracy is +/- 50-125 feet. This accuracy is based on the nature of the entire system (satellites, frequency, C/A code, ground monitoring stations, etc.), not just the particular GPS receiver you have.

With respect ot barometric altimetry, that's the nature of the beast. Aircraft rely on barometric altimeters and if they are flying below transition level/altitude (18000 feet in most of Canada and all of the US) they must adjust their altimeter on a regular basis. More often than hourly is not uncommon. I have been on approach and within 15 minutes, have changed my altimeter setting more than five times, just because of rapidly changing weather patterns.

So, no, it's "not a bug." What would be a bug is if you correctly calibrated it and it read more than 50-75 feet out (that's the tolerance of an aircraft pressure altimeter, why should a consumer grade GPS be better?).

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? Sept 07

2 - Purchase Location? Amazon

4 - GPS SW Version? 2.30

5 - Unit ID? Don't know off the top of my head

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? Only when I looked for it (never "noticed" it)

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue? No (I'm COMPLETELY satisfied)

PLEASE could you only post the results and discuss in a different/new thread.

Thank you!!!

That doesn't make sense. Give your answers to the questions in the poll(1-9) and post any comments you have below. That way I and others only have to follow ONE thread. Also it makes sense to only have to direct garmin to this thread with all these vistaHCX users results.

A better Idea would be to post your poll answers and keep your personal results to a minimum so they don't over power the thread.

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? Oct 07

2 - Purchase Location? Local Danish Store (Spejdersport)

4 - GPS SW Version? 2.30

5 - Unit ID? 3345981974

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function? Sometimes

Anyone try Unit Software version 2.50 yet? (I'm at work and can't try until later).

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3709

I'm curious to see if they fixed the Trip Odometer bug. Judging by how the list of changes was written, I doubt it. :(

Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:

* Remove the turn backlight on action when unit was turn on.

* Fix turn off issue when using Mobile XT with MPC maps.

Edited by mass-trax

I'm not sure what I'm doing different from everyone else, but I just took a short walk with my Vista HCx and had no problems. I varied my walking speeds and my GPS indicated pretty much any speed between 0.8 and 1.9 MPH (it's tough to go steady slow, but to be specific, I saw with my own eyes 0.8, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 1.5, 1.8, and 1.9 displayed). Below 0.8 it would just drop to 0.0, but really, how important can this possibly be?

I don't know if this matters, but I do have City Navigator 2008 installed. Maybe CN adds more tracking accuracy somehow?

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? December 07

2 - Purchase Location? REI

4 - GPS SW Version? 2.30

5 - Unit ID? 336770XXXX

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? No

Edited by palmfish

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? Nov. 17 2007

3 - Unit Software Version? 2.4

4 - GPS SW Version? 2.3

5 - Unit ID? 33677016**

6 - Have you updated the firmware yourself? It automatically does that.

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? no.. I find caches... I don't worry about things like that...

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function? When Sking, I do reset the Max Speed... of course, Trip Computer I haven't played too much with that...

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue? No. As long as I can find caches, its all good...

On another point... Free Software (Maps and All...) http://67.185.105.184/ is where it is...

I still dont see what the fuss is with the odometer issue.....ive actually never checked any of that type of information yet while out on the trail, afterward when I upload it to my computer is the only time I ever check it

garmin could just about take the feature out for all I care

Just because you don't utilize a feature is no reason to wish it wasn't there. The fact is, the feature exists, but it does not work as advertised. And since it was a working feature in the previous 3 eTrex Vista models and now it does not, there's even more reason to make a fuss out of it.

I'm not sure what I'm doing different from everyone else, but I just took a short walk with my Vista HCx and had no problems. I varied my walking speeds and my GPS indicated pretty much any speed between 0.8 and 1.9 MPH (it's tough to go steady slow, but to be specific, I saw with my own eyes 0.8, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 1.5, 1.8, and 1.9 displayed). Below 0.8 it would just drop to 0.0, but really, how important can this possibly be?

The importance of the issue is that the tracklog data is being recording accurately, but the realtime display of the same movement (ie: the Trip Odometer) is inaccurate because it stops recording below a certain speed. How important it is to you all depends on how you use your GPS.

Here's an example:

Say you are going on a 9 mile roundtrip hike up to summit a 14er in Colorado. You start at the trailhead above treeline and the sign says "Summit - 4.5 miles". After about 2 hours of strenuous up-hill hiking, you check to see how far you've gone and how much further you have to go. The Trip Odometer says you've gone only 1.5 miles (yet it's felt like you've just climbed Everest). You then check the map and you can't be more than 0.5 miles away from the summit Not to be discouraged, you push on. Thirty minutes later, you arrive at the summit. You check your GPS and you've only gone 2.3 miles total. How can that be? You just hiked 4.5 miles above treeline (where you know you've maintained satellite lock)! With the clouds rolling in, you pack up and quickly head back down. An hour and a half later, you arrive back at the trailhead knowing you just covered 9 miles. What does the Trip Odometer say? 6.1 miles total.

So not only is the total mileage only ~66% accurate, the first portion of the hike (the slower, UP part) is only ~50% accurate and the second portion (the quicker, DOWN part) is ~84% accurate. (Later that evening, just to make sure you weren't suffering from high altitude pulmonary edema, you download the tracklog data to your PC and are relieved to see that you covered 8.9 miles.)

Now take that example and apply that to a hut-to-hut trip, or a multi-day hike or even a short hike in dense foliage over difficult and rocky terrain. Sure, you've got a map to know where you are and where you need to be, but having inaccurate mileage numbers can be extremely annoying in certain situations.

Can you begin to see how this might be a problem for some people?

I still dont see what the fuss is with the odometer issue.....ive actually never checked any of that type of information yet while out on the trail, afterward when I upload it to my computer is the only time I ever check it

garmin could just about take the feature out for all I care

Another example where the Trip Computer is useful is when you are hiking and need to turn around to head back before you have gone too far. One day, while I was out on a cache-hiding spree on a new trail, I hiked out about 4.5 miles. I still felt good, but decided I better turn around, since nine miles is about my physical limit.

If I continued hiking with my new Vista HCx until I got to 4.5 miles on the Trip Computer, I would be asking too much of my legs and feet by the time I turned around and started back to my vehicle . . . :P

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? Dec 7,2007

3 - Unit Software Version? * 2.3

4 - GPS SW Version? *2.3

5 - Unit ID? * 3366330554

6 - Have you updated the firmware yourself? Yes to ver 2.5 for Unit software

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? ** Not yet - seemed to be about right first time I tried it.

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function? Yes, it would be nice to have

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue? Not yet

sli23sli

Got this unit for Christmas after lots of research but before this issue seems to have been noticed. Just downloaded the 2.5 today and the note mention a fix in calculating travel distance for various usages. I'm too new at this to give any reasonable comparision but wouyld really like to hear from an experienced user if this fix takes care of the problem.

Thanks

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? Dec,2007

3 - Unit Software Version? 2.5

4 - GPS SW Version? *2.3

5 - Unit ID? * 3373502372

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? Not yet - new to this and just learning how.

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function? It would be nice to have -- would use it

Got this unit for Christmas after lots of research but before this issue seems to have been noticed. Just downloaded the 2.5 today and the note mention a fix in calculating travel distance for various usages. I'm too new at this to give any reasonable comparision but wouyld really like to hear from an experienced user if this fix takes care of the problem.

Thanks

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? Dec,2007

3 - Unit Software Version? 2.5

4 - GPS SW Version? *2.3

5 - Unit ID? * 3373502372

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? Not yet - new to this and just learning how.

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function? It would be nice to have -- would use it

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? 19 november 2007

3 - Unit Software Version? *2.40

4 - GPS SW Version? *2.30

5 - Unit ID? *3373503378

6 - Have you updated the firmware yourself? no

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? **no

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function? Not my typical usage

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue? n/a

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase: mid november 2007

2 - Purchase Location: REI

3 - Unit Software Version: 2.40

4 - GPS SW Version: 2.30

5 - Unit ID: 3367702081

6 - Have you updated the firmware yourself: yes

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand: yes

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function: 1/2 yes - 1/2 no

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue: no

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase: mid december 2007

2 - Purchase Location: navifuture

3 - Unit Software Version: 2.50

4 - GPS SW Version: 2.40

5 - Unit ID: 3380**037*

6 - Have you updated the firmware yourself: yes

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand: yes

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function: YES!

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue: no

I was on hike uphill and total time standing/walking was way off. (it showed that i was standing for 38 minutes - actual 10 max) Total distance was shorter for an about 1,4 km (total distance from tracklog on mapsource =7,5km).. and i didn't walk slowly just field dependent... So all slow movements were not added to trip computer. (Odometer is important future for hiking/mounternering).. if a wanted GPS for a car i would puchased an nuvi. BAH!

Edited by TeMpL

It appears as though Garmin has finally released a *fix* for the Trip Odometer bug! It appears to be a GPS SW update for the chipset. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but some users are reporting MUCH better accuracy reading. I wonder if this forum post had anything to do with it? :)

Either way, you can find more info about it in this other thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...180974&st=0

If you just want to get down to updating, here are the links for the latest

Unit Software Version and GPS SW Versions:

eTrex Vista HCx software version 2.50:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3709

GPS Chipset Type M2 (Region File) software version 2.60

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3735

Wow, great information and hopefully a fix.

I just ordered one from PCNation.com ($228.40, no tax, free shipping) as I just couldn't justify $500 for the upcoming Colorado.

I am looking forward to the improved high sensitivity receiver and electronic compass that my etrex lengend CSx didn't have.

:huh:

1 - Approx. Date Of Purchase? 01/07/2008

2 - Purchase Location? Amazon.com

3 - Unit Software Version? 2.50

4 - GPS SW Version? 2.60

5 - Unit ID? 3382**2230

6 - Have you updated the firmware yourself? Of course!!

7 - Have you noticed the Trip Computer bug firsthand? Nope!

8 - Does your typical usage depend on the Trip Computer function? Not really..

9 - Have you contacted Garmin about the issue? Nope

Hope that is helpful, although I'm sure it won't be since I haven't observed whether I have the issue or not. Sorry!