Ebay selling drilled Scottish Geocoin

qichina

Hi,

I wonder what the history of this Scottish geocoin is?

Item number: 280182378655

Ebay page

c1c7_2.JPG

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

I emailed the seller and he replied:

"not sure about activation, it was bought as a keyring, and I don't play the game. I know that the code is important though so I will be saving this for the buyer...thanks Labcat1"

From the experiences last time, I suggest ONE person put a bid in, and help get the coin back in circulation.

Until the coin is released NO-ONE should harass the seller, just in case he decides to be silly.

I am willing to bid for it, or leave it to quichina, just lets all agree first.

Hmmm

My Scottish coin was drilled, and looked like that (lol, they all do!)

It's supposed to be in a cache near the M74 near Lanark... I don't know if it's my coin or not, it's been in there since August, and the cache has only had one visit since then....

I wonder if it's mine?

I wonder if its mine? It was drilled to prevent this sort of thing from happening. I placed it in my cache on the top of Cairngorm in 2006 - it disappeared shortly after....

I might email the seller and ask for its tracking number...

If it is yours, what will you do then ?

You run the risk of making an issue of the coin. The last time there was a situation like this, people contacting the seller made him withdraw the TBs he had from sale, and they were nearly just thrown away.

I have put a bid in, as the other bidder seems to be a collector (so it would not be re-released). If it is yours, I will post it to you (same for whoever the owner is).

I wonder if its mine? It was drilled to prevent this sort of thing from happening. I placed it in my cache on the top of Cairngorm in 2006 - it disappeared shortly after....

I might email the seller and ask for its tracking number...

If it is yours, what will you do then ?

You run the risk of making an issue of the coin. The last time there was a situation like this, people contacting the seller made him withdraw the TBs he had from sale, and they were nearly just thrown away.

I have put a bid in, as the other bidder seems to be a collector (so it would not be re-released). If it is yours, I will post it to you (same for whoever the owner is).

I sent the tracking number and I am told that it doesn't match - but that there has been a LOT of interest about the same! I am happy for you to bid and would be pleased to support its return to whoever! Good luck and let me know if you want some dosh for its release......

If you win, and you accept PayPal, let me know and I will happily contribute £1 towards the ransom/rescue of the GC. :D

Mike

I too have a missing Scottish coin ... mine was not drilled, though it went missing in the area this one is being sold from.

Resisting temptation to bid, watching (without being an official watcher) and waiting!

Please resist Wendy, you will only drive the price up. I will post the coin to the owner once I have it.

I too have a missing Scottish coin ... mine was not drilled, though it went missing in the area this one is being sold from.

Resisting temptation to bid, watching (without being an official watcher) and waiting!

I think theres something fishy about the other bidder

Hmmm

It's supposed to be in a cache near the M74 near Lanark... I don't know if it's my coin or not, it's been in there since August, and the cache has only had one visit since then....

I wonder if it's mine?

SNAP.... Mine was drilled just like that only it had a clear plastic luggage label attached when it was released. It was dropped into a cache in Normandy in August. There has only been one visitor to the cache since then and no mention of a geocoin. It's still being shown in the cache. I'll send The Royals the tracking number so they can check it out if they win the auction.

Hmmm

It's supposed to be in a cache near the M74 near Lanark...

Well it was definitely put there ..... (we went out of our way to do so)

Whoah.... I didn't suggest you hadn't!!!

I was meerly pointing out where Groundspeak says it is!!!

Coins can go a-pearler from any cache at any time... please don't take it personally!!

has anyone thought to mention to the seller that if he is selling an activated geocoin that it is effecivly stolen and not his to sell.

if he was a responsible e-bay seller he would have checked the tracking code prior to trying to sell it.

If one of the nice cachers here wins this and it is an active geocoin you can claim the money back via the ebay complaints procedures as it is classed as stolen property.

It's not my coin as we use it as our family team coin and don't leave it in caches.

Hope that it makes it back in to circulation if it is an active coin

Happy Caching

i think some one mentioned something above about asking to check the code and was told that they were saving the code for the buyer.

True, but maybe he wouldn't think about it and would send a pic of the backside of the coin to some innocent potential buyer who was wanting to "check the condition" of it?

I was in touch with the seller several days ago, building up a rapport and hoping that I could persuade them to take the coin off the market (I couldn't). One thing I did manage to do was get the final two letters of the tracking number. It is E9. This should narrow it down!

I ended my communication with labcat saying that I was pleased that a geocacher was buying it so it should hopefully make it back into circulation when they bought it and realised it hadn't been activated.

Stuey

I was in touch with the seller several days ago, building up a rapport and hoping that I could persuade them to take the coin off the market (I couldn't). One thing I did manage to do was get the final two letters of the tracking number. It is E9. This should narrow it down!

I ended my communication with labcat saying that I was pleased that a geocacher was buying it so it should hopefully make it back into circulation when they bought it and realised it hadn't been activated.

Stuey

If those last digits that Stuey has got are correct - it aint my coin!

has anyone thought to mention to the seller that if he is selling an activated geocoin that it is effecivly stolen and not his to sell.

Last time it was mentioned to a seller "could be stolen" the threat from the seller was "will throw the TB's into the nearest skip..."

G

How about going down the stolen (or theft due to finding) route after the sale, assuming The Royles win the auction, to get their money back.

It is possible that by taking part in this auction we are inviting some little pleb (it's a technical term :laughing: ) to log on to GC.com so they can find the location of coins, knowing they have a ready-made market on fleabay. :D

Stuey

I still have the list of tracking numbers put on the coins. Shouldn't be too hard to work out the full number. I'm not on my home computer at the moment, but I'll look ASAP.

alex.

Well from my records (I never delete any file or email) there were three Scotland coins that had E9 as the last two letters of the tracking number.

One is in the collection of an American geocacher and has only passed from cache to cache with her and is still in her hand as far as I can see.

The second has never been activated, so i presume that it is in a private collection.

And the third belonged to Bambi&Thumper and was lost when a cache in the north of England was muggled in August 2006. I won't post the tracking numer on here but this is the coin in question.

It's been said many times before that when you put a coin or any other item in a cache, you no longer have ownership of it, so there seems to be little that anyone can do about this auction apart from legally bid for it and release it back into the wild or return it to its original owner if you win. No one knows where the person auctioning the coin got it from.

alex.

Edited by SlytherinAlex

I say win the coin, pay through paypal then once it arrives file a dispute saying you never got it. The listing says postage is first class standard and unless the seller can provide a tracking number (how ironic) for the postage of the coin then paypal will find in the buyers favour and refund all money.

End result is coin gets returned and seller gets stung, hopefully putting them off doing it again.

My bid has just been cancelled, with the item listed as "No longer for sale".

I will email the seller to find out what is going on. I hope this doesnt mean someone has been hassling the seller.

Andy

The listing's still active at the moment and the first bid's still there.

Yes the listing is active, but the seller has said that it is no longer for sale.

Both the original bids have been cancelled, the one on there now is a new one.

As far as negative feedback goes, I would not have be leaving any, as far as I am concerned it is just a straightforward sale.

I'm happy to bid if required. As long as I don't bid against anyone here. I'll release it too, of course :D Please let me know, someone.

Edited to change my mind: it's now up to 8 quid plus postage: someone's being silly.

Edited by jerryo

Edited to change my mind: it's now up to 8 quid plus postage: someone's being silly.

the most i've ever paid for a coin on e bay is $14 including postage about 7 quid. (my pound signs not working)

i hope that the bid is not someone from here as it would be sinnful to have to pay that to put it back in to circulation.

We can only hope that it is the coin on ALex's list that was never activated. if it is then the sin is with the person that driled a hoe in it.

On a seperate note, Alex, Thank you very much for designing a lovely coin. I recieved mine as a gift from an american friend who introduced me to the sport and i decided when we acivated it as our team coin that we wouldn't et it out there in the world on it's own.

Anyway, we'll keep watching.

Happy Caching

Dare I say it - but chances are the seller has looked up Geocaching, followed the link to the forum and found this thread.

And is now a member!

Wouldn’t it be nice if Labcat1 checked the number on the coin and, if it is owned by someone else, released it into a cache or asked where it could be sent? Go on, Labcat1. :D

Edited by jerryo

As the suspected owner of this coin I have contacted the seller with information that we could only know as the owners. Since there are now only six hours before the auction closes, I do not have high hopes, but we will see. Meanwhile, if you could all refrain from making any more comments about it here (since I'm sure you are right and the seller will have found this thread by now) I would be very grateful. And if you are the highest bidder I would be grateful if you could drop me a line asap, thanks.

My sincere thanks to qichina who originally raised the issue here, Slytherin who identified us as the owners and Mongoose who drew my attention to the matter; I will let you all know what happens.

Bambi.

I contacted the seller requesting that this item be withdrawn from sale, I have offered to trade the seller for unactivated coins which he/she could then legally sell on ebay but have had no response. It is sad that some people are unable to do the right thing.

:D

Thanks for the kind offer Highland Geofairy sorry you weren't successful :D. For those who haven't heard about this account, this is a Sock puppet account who gifts unactivated Geocoins to Scottish cachers, by hiding them and then sending the recipient the coordinates via email

Deceangi

And before any one asks, No I do not know the true identity of the account owner, and have no intentions of trying to find out who it is :D

And before any one asks, No I do not know the true identity of the account owner, and have no intentions of trying to find out who it is :D

And some things are best left that way! :D

Naomi :D

Definately, i agree. But i would like to get to know him / her under any name. :D

This has been a pretty sorry state of affairs. :D

As far as we can tell, some toe rag has come into possession of a muggled geocoin and sells it on e-bay, to a similarly unscrupulous individual.

Where does it all end?

How many times has this happened in the past?

Are we at the ransom of such people who can spend their time raiding caches for valuable items to sell on ebay? Coins are quite expensive compared to the McTat that is usually found.

Where does all this lead to? :D