Why Are the Reviewers Giving Me a Hard Time About My Soul Cache?

I have noticed recently that several people are selling their souls, or, in one case, the deed to their soul, on EBay. One soul currently up for auction on EBay is item number 110204661619 and another is item number 140190488660 As of this moment (Friday evening, 12/14/2007), there are at least three other folks selling their souls on EBay as well, including a 20 year old female in New Hampshire (her auction item 140188698262 reads "Stacia's Soul-20 y.o. Blonde!") whose Ebay auction item appeared as I wrote this post. In addition, there are a number of websites (over 700 of them, to be a bit exact....) to be found on the internet which allow folks to sell their souls online; two such sites may be found at http://www.wewantyoursoul.com/ and another site allows visitors to sell their soul to the devil.

This whole phenom got me to thinking, because I sometimes run into folks or organizations who want souls for various purposes...

So, in recognition of the sudden and recent popularity of selling souls, and the fact that many geocachers nowadays are into the numbers game and will do lots of things in order to score a quick and easy find on a cache, I spent a lot of time last week crafting a new D/T 5/5 cache called Sell Your Soul for a Smiley!. (By the way the use of the term "sell" in the cache listing title is purely for effect, and in reality, the finder would be trading their soul, not selling it.) The cache is simply a very large ammo can equipped with a sturdy combination lock and padlocked with heavy chains in a secure and hidden but easy-to-access (for geocachers, that is) spot. The cache listing page discloses the waypoint coordinates for the cache and also discloses the combination for the lock on the cache. The cache has been classified as a Premium Member-only cache in order to limit access to the cache listing page and to also limit access to the cache itself.

The cache itself contains a logbook, several pens, and a number of spotlessly clean recycled empty mayonnaise jars with lids; each jar bears a clean white blank label, which will be filled in by the finder with their name. The twist is this: this is an Additional Logging Requirement (ALR) cache, and you cannot log a find unless you leave your soul in an empty jar and label your full legal name and also your geo handle on the label on the jar, seal the jar and place it in the cache. In fact, were it not for this additional logging requirement, this would be a D/T 3/2 cache; what allows me to raise the DT rating to 5/5 is the additional logging requirement of leaving your soul in return for being able to log a find and earn a smiley. The cache also contains a small radio transmitter that emits a signal every time the cache container has been opened, in other words, every time someone visits the cache to log a find. Each time we receive a signal on our logging receiver indicating that the cache was accessed, we will send out someone to the cache container within 8 hours to retrieve the soul and its storage jar and to ensure that the container remains well-stocked with clean empty jars.

Further, and this is the best part of all, I have been able to find a buyer for all the souls left in the cache, and my profits from selling the harvested souls will allow me to continue to find and place lots of caches, thus serving the geocaching community. So, this is totally win-win for everyone!

So far, so good...

My problem is that my local reviewer, Quiggle, continues to find bizarre excuses to allow her to refuse to publish the cache. She obviously has been drinking too much moonshine again, and she -- equally obviously -- has some kind of major vendetta against souls. And, to me, this indicates that geocaching.com and Quiggle hate souls and hate American values. Maybe they hate geocaching, too. This is very sad, is it not? :D:P

And so... I exhort you: Please write and put pressure on the admins at Groundspeak and on the reviewers to publish this most excellent cache! Thank you in advance for your support! I see the level of response to this post -- namely, how many geocachers band together to demand that the reviewers publish this cache -- as a test of the moral fiber of Americans.

If lots of geocachers rally together to support my cause and get this cache published, it will mean that Americans still have lots of moral fiber. :)

If few geocachers rally to lobby the admins to publish this cache, this will mean that Americans have lost their moral fiber and are wimps and refuse to stand up for their values. :D

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

If few geocachers rally to lobby the admins to publish this cache, this will mean that Americans have lost their moral fiber and are wimps and refuse to stand up for their values. :D

I would like to help you in your glorious endeavor to fight the evil Reviewer regime.

Unfortunately, within days of pawning my soul, I also liquidated my values.

(proof positive of this last is that I immediately began logging virtuals in Germany and Austria)

Now, should you establish a refrigerated cache whereupon I may hawk body parts, I would more than cheerfully chip in an arm and a leg and stand up (er ---- make that lie down) for my rights.

It's important to know the "bizarre excuses". Admin is not going to reject a cache out of spite; I trust she is following procedure to reject publication. I'm not going to blindly submit a petition if, say, the cache is on private property, commercial in nature, etc ...

Edit: am I missing the joke?

Edited by Chuy!

I have noticed recently that several people are selling their souls, or, in one case, the deed to their soul, on EBay. One soul currently up for auction on EBay is item number 110204661619 and another is item number 140190488660 As of this moment (Friday evening, 12/14/2007), there are at least three other folks selling their souls on EBay as well, including a 20 year old female in New Hampshire (her auction item 140188698262 reads "Stacia's Sould-20 y.o. Blonde!") whose Ebay auction item appeared as I wrote this post. In addition, there are a number of websites (over 700 of them, to be a bit exact....) to be found on the internet which allow folks to sell their souls online; two such sites may be found at http://www.wewantyoursoul.com/ and another site allows visitors to sell their soul to the devil.

This whole phenom got me to thinking, because I sometimes run into folks or organizations who want souls for various purposes...

So, in recognition of the sudden and recent popularity of selling souls, and the fact that many geocachers nowadays are into the numbers game and will do lots of things in order to score a quick and easy find on a cache, I spent a lot of time last week crafting a new D/T 5/5 cache called Sell Your Soul for a Smiley!. (By the way the use of the term "sell" in the cache listing title is purely for effect, and in reality, the finder would be trading their soul, not selling it.) The cache is simply a very large ammo can equipped with a sturdy combination lock and padlocked with heavy chains in a secure and hidden but easy-to-access (for geocachers, that is) spot. The cache listing page discloses the waypoint coordinates for the cache and also discloses the combination for the lock on the cache. The cache has been classified as a Premium Member-only cache in order to limit access to the cache listing page and to also limit access to the cache itself.

The cache itself contains a logbook, several pens, and a number of spotlessly clean recycled empty mayonnaise jars with lids; each jar bears a clean white blank label, which will be filled in by the finder with their name. The twist is this: this is an Additional Logging Requirement (ALR) cache, and you cannot log a find unless you leave your soul in an empty jar and label your full legal name and also your geo handle on the label on the jar, seal the jar and place it in the cache. In fact, were it not for this additional logging requirement, this would be a D/T 3/2 cache; what allows me to raise the DT rating to 5/5 is the additional logging requirement of leaving your soul in return for being able to log a find and earn a smiley. The cache also contains a small radio transmitter that emits a signal every time the cache container has been opened, in other words, every time someone visits the cache to log a find. Each time we receive a signal on our logging receiver indicating that the cache was accessed, we will send out someone to the cache container within 8 hours to retrieve the soul and its storage jar and to ensure that the container remains well-stocked with clean empty jars.

Further, and this is the best part of all, I have been able to find a buyer for all the souls left in the cache, and my profits from selling the harvested souls will allow me to continue to find and place lots of caches, thus serving the geocaching community. So, this is totally win-win for everyone!

So far, so good...

My problem is that my local reviewer, Quiggle, continues to find bizarre excuses to allow her to refuse to publish the cache. She obviously has been drinking too much moonshine again, and she -- equally obviously -- has some kind of major vendetta against souls. And, to me, this indicates that geocaching.com and Quiggle hate souls and hate American values. Maybe they hate geocaching, too. This is very sad, is it not? :D:P

And so... I exhort you: Please write and put pressure on the admins at Groundspeak and on the reviewers to publish this most excellent cache! Thank you in advance for your support! I see the level of response to this post -- namely, how many geocachers band together to demand that the reviewers publish this cache -- as a test of the moral fiber of Americans.

If lots of geocachers rally together to support my cause and get this cache published, it will mean that Americans still have lots of moral fiber. :)

^ Post of the week ^ highfive.gif

I fear I shall not be able to complete your cache since a little incident sometime last week. I met a nice chap with a really bad sunburn and ever since I have been unable to see myself in the mirror, next door's cat goes crazy whenever I go near it and the automatic door at the supermarket refuses to open for me. My insurance refuses to pay out for my loss, even though only acts of god are mentioned, and no mention is made of acts of Lucifer. I do not see why I should be excluded from finding your cache, maybe a substitute could be found. The blood of an innocent perhaps?

The twist is this: this is an Additional Logging Requirement (ALR) cache

Because I've been told that Groundspeak is slowly trying to do away with the spawn caches, where you have to take and hide a cache from the big spawn cache before you can log the spawn cache as a smiley. So for the pure letter of the guidelines that might be why

the concept itself is great and I laughed the entire time reading it because I know only you could come up with something so evil, outside the box, brillent, type of cache as this.

I fear I shall not be able to complete your cache since a little incident sometime last week. I met a nice chap with a really bad sunburn and ever since I have been unable to see myself in the mirror, next door's cat goes crazy whenever I go near it and the automatic door at the supermarket refuses to open for me. My insurance refuses to pay out for my loss, even though only acts of god are mentioned, and no mention is made of acts of Lucifer. I do not see why I should be excluded from finding your cache, maybe a substitute could be found. The blood of an innocent perhaps?

You are in luck! We anticipated that some folks might encounter the problem which you have so succintly described, and the ALR requirements on the cache listing page make quite clear that if you do not have a soul to sell, you may instead leave the heart (freshly removed) and soul of an innocent. I wish you the best in your quest to log your find as soon as the cache is published!

...proof positive of this last is that I immediately began logging virtuals in Germany and Austria...

Strange synchronicity, there. I find that I too have recently started logging remote finds in great numbers on both virtual caches and physical caches located in Germany and Austria as well. I wonder if you and I are perhaps trend-setters, the so-called "opinion and trend leaders" of this sport? Hmmm...

C'mon Vinnie! Get a grip!

I know you are going through withdrawal over the lack of recent "goat" topics and thread replies: But that's no reason to go off the deep end over "Souls", which most are "lost" anyway.

Here: From A Goats Eye View ~ Seek and find this cache, and I can assure you that it will relieve all of your recent "goat" anxieties; and thus, quell all that "Soul Searching" that you have recently been swept up into.

A very concerned friend. :D:):P

And so... I exhortyou: Please write and put pressure on the admins at Groundspeak and on the reviewers to publish this most excellent cache! Thank you in advance for your support! I see the level of response to this post -- namely, how many geocachers band together to demand that the reviewers publish this cache -- as a test of the moral fiber of Americans.

Anyone that quotes the immortal Bill & Ted get my support. :D

The issue is simple, most everyone has sold their's already. The soul selling market is sadly going cold and you rarely see the black market soul stealing these days. It's all due to the "Grow a New Soul Chea Pets". Just add water. Now a human soul is a dime a dozen. :D

That would be "Chia".....now you can add that water. :P:D:)

I have noticed recently that several people are selling their souls, or, in one case, the deed to their soul, on EBay. One soul currently up for auction on EBay is item number 110204661619 and another is item number 140190488660 As of this moment (Friday evening, 12/14/2007), there are at least three other folks selling their souls on EBay as well, including a 20 year old female in New Hampshire (her auction item 140188698262 reads "Stacia's Soul-20 y.o. Blonde!") whose Ebay auction item appeared as I wrote this post. In addition, there are a number of websites (over 700 of them, to be a bit exact....) to be found on the internet which allow folks to sell their souls online; two such sites may be found at http://www.wewantyoursoul.com/ and another site allows visitors to sell their soul to the devil.

So far, so good...

<wiping tear from my eye>

A true masterpiece of a post. Thank-you.

I fear I shall not be able to complete your cache since a little incident sometime last week. I met a nice chap with a really bad sunburn a...

You are in luck! We anticipated that some folks might encounter the problem which you have so succinctly described, and the ALR requirements on the cache listing page make quite clear that if you do not have a soul to sell, you may instead leave the heart (freshly removed) and soul of an innocent. ...

Good luck finding one of those (besides mine) in here!

Can you give the reasons why it has been denied?

On commercial grounds I would think. He is making money off the re-sale.

Yes, that was one of several objections raised made by Quiggle and the "Appeals Reviewers". Another large objection was this:

They told me that, in order to gain greater public acceptance of geocaching, Groundspeak is making a concerted effort to impress politicians and to even encourage politicians to become geocachers. Thus, the admins at Groundspeak dislike the concept of my Sell Your Soul cache greatly, because they feel that it has the potential to alienate politicians-turned-geocachers, as none of them would ever be eligible to log a find on the cache, since politicians do not have souls (i.e., they sold their souls long ago to Satan). They figure that the inability to score a smiley might tick off politicians who are also geocachers, and that this would be a bad thing.

....label your full legal name and also ....

Really Vinny, I'm quite sure Quiggle did a thorough review and identified all the issues.

I have no doubt she's waiting patiently for your remittance explanation and edits. However, just to educate those reading this thread I MUST point out that this portion of the cache write violates the little read and largely ignored Terms Of Use section 4 (k) and it certainly does lead to concerns v. resale and profit taking (commercial).

Really Vinny, I'm quite sure Quiggle did a thorough review and identified all the issues.

I have no doubt she's waiting patiently for your remittance explanation and edits. However, just to educate those reading this thread I MUST point out that this portion of the cache write violates the little read and largely ignored Terms Of Use section 4 (k) and it certainly does lead to concerns v. resale and profit taking (commercial).

sigh.... palmetto, palmetto, palmetto... really... you are being incredibly obsessive and trying to split hairs here. Lets get real for a second, shall we? The reality is that the amount which I get for each soul that I sell to the Satan Corporation is a mere $3,800 per soul at most, and even less if it turns out that the person was a murderer or a resident of West Virginia.

And, as for your puny "collecting data" objection, the finder is merely asked to record their legal name on the jar in which they placed their soul. The jar, along with the label, is turned over to the Satan Corporation within 12 hours after harvesting, and I DO NOT keep any copies of those records here. In other words, I do not record the names of the geocachers who sold their soul for a smiley in my own records.

A lot of people are not aware of this but S.A.T.A.N. is actually an acronym for a specific department in the parent corporation of Hell.

S.A.T.A.N. is the "Soul Attainment:Tagging And Numbering" Department.

from there, souls are usually routed to S.A.V.E.U.S. ("Soul Attainment: Validation, Evaluation, Underwriting and Salvage") where souls are either destined to hard labor or put on Ebay for re-sale in hopes of a greater potential return for Hell.

sigh.... palmetto, palmetto, palmetto... really... you are being incredibly obsessive and trying to split hairs here. Lets get real for a second, shall we? The reality is that the amount which I get for each soul that I sell to the Satan Corporation is a mere $3,800 per soul at most, and even less if it turns out that the person was a murderer or a resident of West Virginia.

And, as for your puny "collecting data" objection, the finder is merely asked to record their legal name on the jar in which they placed their soul. The jar, along with the label, is turned over to the Satan Corporation within 12 hours after harvesting, and I DO NOT keep any copies of those records here. In other words, I do not record the names of the geocachers who sold their soul for a smiley in my own records.

But do you ever wonder who is really behind all of this?

My problem is that my local reviewer, Quiggle, continues to find bizarre excuses to allow her to refuse to publish the cache. She obviously has been drinking too much moonshine again, and she -- equally obviously -- has some kind of major vendetta against souls. And, to me, this indicates that geocaching.com and Quiggle hate souls and hate American values. Maybe they hate geocaching, too. This is very sad, is it not? :D:D

I guess you didn't get my email about keeping this out of the forums? :laughing::(

See now not every one is able to do this cache.

I, for one, do not have a soul, never have, was born without one. Noone really knows why but it is believed that it is so that those religous folks cannot blackmail me with eternal damnation as there is no soul to burn in whatever it is they burn in.

Those folks selling their souls on ebay are a crock of s$!%, I have purchased a few of them as I thought it might be handy to have a spare ne around.

Well FEDEX man pitches up at the door with noting but a smile.

I did get one in a jar but it lasted all of 3 seconds before it faded into nothing.

I am afraid that I would be unable to support your cache based on those grounds.

My problem is that my local reviewer, Quiggle, continues to find bizarre excuses to allow her to refuse to publish the cache. She obviously has been drinking too much moonshine again, and she -- equally obviously -- has some kind of major vendetta against souls. And, to me, this indicates that geocaching.com and Quiggle hate souls and hate American values. Maybe they hate geocaching, too. This is very sad, is it not? :unsure::(

I guess you didn't get my email about keeping this out of the forums? :laughing::D

Oh, I got your email all right, but do you REALLY think that I would adhere to YOUR requests? You are the evil reviewer (well, one of the several evil reviewers) who has nixed not only this excellent Sell Your Soul cache, but also lots of my other good ideas as well, including my most excellent Radioactive Isotope Hotel cache. So, pretty much anything that YOU tell me to do (such as keeping this issue out of the forums), well, I tend to do the opposite! :(:D:(

Vinny, Vinny... why do you *insist* on hiding caches in the territory where caches are reviewed by an 83-year old cigar-smoking grandmother with two felony convictions, five tattoos and a moonshine still in her backyard?

Move the starting waypoint for your cache into Pennsylvania, just a few miles north. I will be happy to publish your cache. You see, I'm a lawyer. I sold my soul when I graduated from law school 23 years ago, so I am entirely familiar and comfortable with the concept.

Looking forward to seeing your submission in my PayPal account the review queue.

Vinny, Vinny... why do you *insist* on hiding caches in the territory where caches are reviewed by an 83-year old cigar-smoking grandmother with two felony convictions, five tattoos and a moonshine still in her backyard?

Move the starting waypoint for your cache into Pennsylvania, just a few miles north. I will be happy to publish your cache. You see, I'm a lawyer. I sold my soul when I graduated from law school 23 years ago, so I am entirely familiar and comfortable with the concept.

Looking forward to seeing your submission in my PayPal account the review queue.

Now thats just funny!!! ROTFLMAO

Oh, I got your email all right, but do you REALLY think that I would adhere to YOUR requests? You are the evil reviewer (well, one of the several evil reviewers) who has nixed not only this excellent Sell Your Soul cache, but also lots of my other good ideas as well, including my most excellent Radioactive Isotope Hotel cache. So, pretty much anything that YOU tell me to do (such as keeping this issue out of the forums), well, I tend to do the opposite! :(:D:laughing:

But I did publish your Hot Glowing Tribulations cache, does that not give me any brownie points in your eyes? That one is much more dangerous than the Radioactive Isotope one you submitted, but I guess you forgot that part.

Maybe you should move to Pennsylvania, I hear they publish anything up there.

Keystone, you are a LIFESAVER! Thank you! Will do! I will relocate the waypoint for the first stage (it is now a multi-stage cache, as of this moment) will revise the cache listing page slightly, and will resubmit the cache listing as a PA cache in your queue, and will also do the needful in terms of a gift/honorarium, as usual (I will send the same amount as last time, for PUC #14).

Thanks much! :D BTW, I am about ready to give up on Quiggle... as you said, it is bad enuf that she is a chain cigar smoker, and drinks herself into a stupor five times a day on her own moonshine, but now it looks like she is getting senile as well. sigh... :laughing:

Oh, I got your email all right, but do you REALLY think that I would adhere to YOUR requests? You are the evil reviewer (well, one of the several evil reviewers) who has nixed not only this excellent Sell Your Soul cache, but also lots of my other good ideas as well, including my most excellent Radioactive Isotope Hotel cache. So, pretty much anything that YOU tell me to do (such as keeping this issue out of the forums), well, I tend to do the opposite! :D:(:laughing:

But I did publish your Hot Glowing Tribulations cache, does that not give me any brownie points in your eyes? That one is much more dangerous than the Radioactive Isotope one you submitted, but I guess you forgot that part.

Maybe you should move to Pennsylvania, I hear they publish anything up there.

Oh great! Sheesh... Big deal! You cut me a break just ONCE on my Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations with the "hot" final stage, but you also told me "Never again!". Talk about cramping my style and crimping my creativity! :unsure::D:(:(

BTW, I am about ready to give up on Quiggle... as you said, it is bad enuf that she is a chain cigar smoker, and drinks herself into a stupor five times a day on her own moonshine, but now it looks like she is getting senile as well. sigh... :laughing:

There is a connection among this combination of maladies. It's called "Being the reviewer in the State where Vinny lives."

Ok here is the scenero Your full legal name gets in the hands of the wrong person and they go on the net and BAM your identity has been stolen. Maybe this is why they won't approve. Even with all your safe guards there is always that one person that messes it up for everyone else. Kinda of a neat concept on a cache and i like the bizzareness of it like everyone else. Good Luck with it.

we"re lost

"The cache itself contains a logbook, several pens, and a number of spotlessly clean recycled empty mayonnaise jars with lids; each jar bears a clean white blank label, which will be filled in by the finder with their name"

Vinny, Vinny, Vinny - here's the problem. I think that logbook has got to be signed in blood.

"The cache itself contains a logbook, several pens, and a number of spotlessly clean recycled empty mayonnaise jars with lids; each jar bears a clean white blank label, which will be filled in by the finder with their name"

Vinny, Vinny, Vinny - here's the problem. I think that logbook has got to be signed in blood.

Good idea! I have updated the cache listing page to reflect that additional requirement! Thanks! :laughing: