GeoGuitar 2008

Landsharkz

oooooh, love my mock-up! can't wait to see this in real life! i think the turquoise glitter will be awesome! you guys are super fast!!! i just sent this in last night. someone's working overtime. :drama: thank you for such a wonderful idea. at this stage in my geocaching, i just never could have come up with a personal coin, and you have given a lot of us this chance. super cool.

GLITTER:

Hi all, a note about Glitter. We have specified that we can do glitter only on the body of the guitar. That is the case. A couple of coins went through with glitter on the head and I have removed them from the site for now until we fix them. Please use glitter on the body only. We made the rule for technical reasons, and are going to have to stick by them... I screwed up in letting them through as they were and posting them... sorry for that.

If you're interested, here are some of the tech issues (and reasons behind the rules)...

Issue 1. One Glitter Colour per coin... Glitter is applied as a powder and then cured. Due to the tiny areas, the glitter powder gets into the other areas, but isn't normally an issue because the normal enamels cover those areas. If a second glitter colour is used on the same coin, the powdered glitter will cross contaminate the other glitter areas. Solution... one glitter colour per coin.

Issue 2. Glitter and Glow on the same coin... Glow colours are also applied as powder. Same issue as above... one Glow colour per coin and only one of either glow or glitter.

Issue 3. Glitter on the body only. The glitter effect is best when placed on a fairly large area. The shiny flakes have a finite size and if placed on a tiny area, then the glitter effect is not that good. Problem on the head, neck, and pick guard is that the area between the strings is very tiny.

Given the above issues, we are going to stand fast on the "glitter on body only" rule. Sorry for any confusion. If requested, we will use our colour swatches to match a solid colour to a body glitter.

Hope this all makes sense.

Chris

I am having a hard time trying to visualize what a polished gold versus satin gold or the silver choices will look like in the finished coins. I have looked at the mock ups so far but it doesn't help much. Anyone have a suggestion?

Just look at the grey areas on the line art and picture those in metal. For example, the strings will be in the metal of your choice, and the whole back of the neck, plus a few other spots.

The strings are why I am going with the satin nickel, because that would look the most like real guitar strings, I think.

I am having a hard time trying to visualize what a polished gold versus satin gold or the silver choices will look like in the finished coins. I have looked at the mock ups so far but it doesn't help much. Anyone have a suggestion?

Just look at the grey areas on the line art and picture those in metal. For example, the strings will be in the metal of your choice, and the whole back of the neck, plus a few other spots.

The strings are why I am going with the satin nickel, because that would look the most like real guitar strings, I think.

the question would be why would you pick the satin over the polished? That is my dilemma. It would seem that the polished or brighter silver would outline the bridge and pickups more but I don't know that for sure and am asking for opinions. The neck and headstock are the same color on my guitar so there is no problem there its just the polished vs satin......

the question would be why would you pick the satin over the polished?

Will someone sell me one of theirs when they get them? I only want one...

Will someone sell me one of theirs when they get them? I only want one...

It probably would be in your best interest to keep an eye on this thread. I am sure that after the coins are produced, you will see posts here for the sales. Also, keep an eye on the PINNED trade thread at the top of the forum page. There are bound to be folks trading these when they are in hand.

~J

I might be getting a custom one. Just a question? Could I go and sell some to make some of my money back?

Hi SoC!

Yes, these are trackable geocoins that you could even advertise here if you wanted. Once you buy them you can do whatever you want with them...including sell them.

I had a wee chat with Beaver Dude last night (while helping tie-dye his hockey jersey :yikes:) ... he wants his own version to sell at GWVI, so we'll see where that goes :yikes: .

He's having a hard time playing guitar with only 3 fingers and a thumb, but he's managing a few chords that we can recognize :grin: .

the question would be why would you pick the satin over the polished? That is my dilemma. It would seem that the polished or brighter silver would outline the bridge and pickups more but I don't know that for sure and am asking for opinions. The neck and headstock are the same color on my guitar so there is no problem there its just the polished vs satin......

I don't know if it would help, but take a look here: Landsharkz coin reference page

We're close to 1000, but not quite there yet. We will post images of the samples as soon as we get them (it should be soon!).

You can ammend your total ordered at any time before we put the final production order into the mint - this will be about 2 weeks from when we post the images of the samples.

We've received photos of our samples from the mint. The coins look great! the photos are of poor quality though. I'll take better pics when they arrive next week.

Beaverdude is going to get a new Guitar... we're going to get 100+ of his guitar made. This will bring us VERY close to 1000, and then the price drops 50 cents per coin for everyone. A couple of new orders, or a few upped from 20 to 25 and we'll be there! Thanks everyone for your support so far for this cool coin.

We're also going to make a batch of GeoGuitars for GeoWoodstock. You'll have to visit our booth there to see them. Finally... we have had a couple of requests for private guitar designs (not shown on the confirmation page for all to see)... this is fine. If you want your design kept secret, please let us know in the comments when you design your coin. We'll publicize the number of different coins produced when we place the final order.

Here are some pics.... BETTER PHOTOS TO COME next week.

guitar1.jpg

guitar3.jpg

guitar2.jpg

We've had a chance to review these guitars and take some photos. Chris decided to create a montage of some of the higher detailed areas so you can see how these look larger than life :unsure:

fd360b9e-acbd-4ff5-83c4-617868367582.jpg

a6ecb65e-9cfc-4b03-8b32-e51c66ef5add.jpg

33de45ea-fbf2-4203-a3af-f02e69eb17b8.jpg

We're going to cut off orders on February 20th at the end of the day and send the order to the mint quickly thereafter. We have 1000+ guitars ordered and so the price will be reduced to $7.50 per guitar for all orders. Minimum is still 20 guitars for an order.

Invoicing will begin next week and all guitars must be paid for before we send the order in.

BTW, Chris noticed a glaring error on the back die which we will be correcting before we go to production. Let's call this the 'spot the error' contest... :anibad: The prize will be one of Beaver Dude's GeoGuitars! Let's see if our fellow designers can spot it before Danoshimano figures it out :unsure: . Come on CRAKE, Yime, Mackey, Jim, Paula, Oakcoins, Mike, here's you chance to say 'Ah Ha!' and win a guitar! :yikes:

The error is visible in our last two posts with images so you don't need to go to our site to find it. This is probably toooo easy!

Helen

Well when I look at the back of the guitar I think that the writing is actually upside down. This is hard to explain but if you are right handed and playing the guitar and actually pull the guitar away from your body then the writing on the back side is all upside down to you if it is done as in the pictures

Well when I look at the back of the guitar I think that the writing is actually upside down. This is hard to explain but if you are right handed and playing the guitar and actually pull the guitar away from your body then the writing on the back side is all upside down to you if it is done as in the pictures

You beat me to it!!

Wahhh, lol!

I gotta say these look dam*ed sharp and I really, really wish I could be in on them!!

Someone out there save one for me!!

Naomi :unsure:

Yup, the trackable at geocaching.com is upside down when you turn your guitar around. It looked fine on the computer screen as it was being designed, and we didn't notice it on the mint's photographs, but once we had them here and were handling them Chris spotted it immediately. That's another reason we like to do samples and get them here in our hands...

We're going to make a new die for the back. Yikes! At times like this we wish it was the mint that screwed up not Chris :unsure:. All he's saying is that he's glad he caught it now...

LadyBee4T - send us your addy and we'll make sure you get one of Beaver Dude's custom guitars when they're produced :unsure:.

Yup, the trackable at geocaching.com is upside down when you turn your guitar around. It looked fine on the computer screen as it was being designed, and we didn't notice it on the mint's photographs, but once we had them here and were handling them Chris spotted it immediately. That's another reason we like to do samples and get them here in our hands...

We're going to make a new die for the back. Yikes! At times like this we wish it was the mint that screwed up not Chris :unsure:. All he's saying is that he's glad he caught it now...

LadyBee4T - send us your addy and we'll make sure you get one of Beaver Dude's custom guitars when they're produced :unsure:.

Thanks!! Email coming your way! He must have flipped it top to bottom instead of left to right. LOL