a great Canadian GPS?

nicandlisa922

I just bought my first GPS, without realizing I can't upload maps whatsoever. It doesn't have Canadian streets (except major highways). I think it's almost pointless... I can't even enter in coordinates.

FYI, the one I have is the Magellan eXplorist 200. :D

:D I'm just wondering what the Canadian cachers use... Garmin? Magellan? I guess I'm looking for something I can add stuff too (like Pocket Queries someday). With street maps and the option to enter in coords...

If you can take the Magellan back - horrible customer service and lack of the map detail you desire.

Get yourself a Garmin that is capable of loading TOPO Canada for detailed road and off-road information. TOPO Canada is a little dated and won't have new subdivisions but it's unlocked and can be used on multiple devices.

You will be 100 times happier with any Garmin unit. The one or two Magellan die-hards here will disagree but.....they'll eventually come around!

We were impressed with the Triton at the Outdoor Retailer show in Salt Lake City last summer. We came home enthused ... until we tried to get a salesman to return our calls and e-mails. Finally after 2 months, we got hold of the manager of the sales division and he assured me that someone would get back to me... I'm still waiting.

I use a Magellan eXplorist 600. Topo leaves much to be desired, but DirectRoute is more than adequate.

The Magellan eXplorist 100-200-300 do not support downloadable maps or expandable memory.

I haven't seen any indication on the Magellan website that the new Triton units are compatible with MapSend DirectRoute or Topo Canada. While the National Geographic Topo product use is very interesting, there is no Canadian coverage for that map series.

I consider this to be a major red flag for Canadian users --- before even remotely considering the Triton, you really want to confirm map support for Canada. They really bungled the rollout for the eXplorist series - and early adopters were punished for buying their units. We had to buy old map products at $200/set that didn't really support our eXplorists all that well, and after almost a year, when the products were updated, Magellan wanted ANOTHER $200/set for the updates, and locked the maps to a single receiver (so, in my house they wanted $400 from me so I could put a map on my wife's eXplorist).

My next GPS will be a Garmin product. Similar draconian stance on GPS licensing, and similar Topo product but way more updates to the receiver firmware and software. Magellan is really good at ignoring the geocaching community in particular.

We were impressed with the Triton at the Outdoor Retailer show in Salt Lake City last summer. We came home enthused ... until we tried to get a salesman to return our calls and e-mails. Finally after 2 months, we got hold of the manager of the sales division and he assured me that someone would get back to me... I'm still waiting.
An indication of intentions to expand your store to include GPSr aswell? :D

An indication of intentions to expand your store to include GPSr aswell? :)

Yes Quigley Jones, and you can guarantee that any company we deal with has to have customer service that's better than barrel scrapings :D . We've got a few surprises for next year :P

I think we'll be limiting ourselves to the GPSr we like to recommend, use and demo in classes. Currently Landsharkz use a Map60Csx and we have some Legend C's for our students to use.

I love the look of the 'iGarmin 60csx WiFi' on www.icenrye.com - we're looking forward to demo'ing that product as well :D .

Garmin 60CSx with City Navigator and Ontario Topo Maps (1:10,000 complete detail)

Ontario Topo maps 1:10,000 ? Is Garmin offering such? Please tell me more Thanks

Not Garmin. Third Party. Here is the url. http://www.canadianmaps.ca/

You can buy them at Radioworld as well. About $250. Well worth it if you spend much time in the bush. I am part of a search and rescue team and they are invaluable.

Chuck

An indication of intentions to expand your store to include GPSr aswell? :)

Yes Quigley Jones, and you can guarantee that any company we deal with has to have customer service that's better than barrel scrapings :D . We've got a few surprises for next year :P

I think we'll be limiting ourselves to the GPSr we like to recommend, use and demo in classes. Currently Landsharkz use a Map60Csx and we have some Legend C's for our students to use.

I love the look of the 'iGarmin 60csx WiFi' on www.icenrye.com - we're looking forward to demo'ing that product as well :D .

Well you should get in touch with garmin as the've given out the new colorado (seen below) to stores for testing.

IGARMINCOLORADO.gif