www.WHERIGO.com

tabulator32

Well, now, that is really interesting!

In some ways, it sounds like a combination of RPGs (role-playing games) and GPS, but I'm sure that's only one application. Essentially, it allows someone to link a set of virtual things (whether they be puzzles, clues, media clips, etc) to GPS locations. When you reach the location, you find the thing (assuming your GPS unit can support it) (or the thing is downloaded into or activated in your GPS unit).

In other words, the virtual items linked to actual lat/longs, so that people have to PHYSICALLY travel somewhere to find the VIRTUAL item.

Kind of like a multi/puzzle cache, only the cache need not be physical. Since the clue or item is virtual, it's really only limited by the available technology to display it and the creator's imagination. I can see that you could do some cool stuff, such as stocking virtual clues to suppliment a live-action role-playing game. It sounds really neat to me!

Sounds way cool. as a traveler who cannot really maintain Caches, I could maybe establish virtual TBs at existing locations and it would pop up on your device when you're in the area. then you could virtually drop it somewhere else, or with wifi, someone could grab (of steal) it from you.

hey, does that remind you of the talk a few years ago of getting to the point where you would be driving through town, pass a certain business, and your car stereo would start playing customized adds directly to you (the individual), sounds like a fun application of that technology

I'm pretty excited about trying it out too. :D Wonder who will be the first in my area to set one up?

It could be you!

:D

Mmmmaaaaaaaaaaybe. But I don't have a GPS-enabled PDA or cell phone. I also have a Mac so that may pose a challenge, unless it's web-based. We'll find out soon enough.

Edited by robert
I'm pretty excited about trying it out too. :D Wonder who will be the first in my area to set one up?
It could be you!

Mmmmaaaaaaaaaaybe. But I don't have a GPS-enabled PDA or cell phone. I also have a Mac so that may pose a challenge, unless it's web-based. We'll find out soon enough.

I don't think that it's strictly web-based. You go online to read about the different 'tours', download each one, and post your experiences, but I don't think that you could play it online.

I wandered around the beta site some and I don't think that game could be played without a GPS-enabled PDA or cell phone. As I understand the game, you download the 'tour' to your pda and it leads your from location to location, showing you the sites or telling an interactive story as you go.

I guess that a person could play with a tablet or laptop cabled to a GPSr and I suppose that someone smarter than me will cable his GPSr to his non-GPS pda to play...

According to the Wherigo.com website and the Podcacher podcast, it allows people to combine virtual and real elements out in the real world where "zones" have been set up that allow virtual interaction...or something.

I am intrigued, but, what IS it?!

It sounds really cool, but, as usual...I am confused.

hrrp://www.Wherigo.com

FYI, your link is wrong, though it is being redirected. The second "e" should not be there.

The correct link is www.Wherigo.com. Should be interesting and fun!

Sounds like an ARG game similar to one called Perplex City. Here's a link: ARG Wiki Article

It really looks like it's going to be along the idea of what they were showing on Numb3rs on TV a few weeks ago. If it is, you shouldn't need different equipment.

Kinda sorta.

Wherigo isn't a game as much as it will be an access point to download tiny GPS-based ARGs and tours that are created by the players (in the same way that GC.com is the access point to download information regarding caches hidden by players).

Here's some wayback links to the beta page:

Home

Player

Builder

Keep in mind that the beta version was Pocket PC only and that the live version will allow for other options.

Edited by sbell111
Sounds like an ARG game similar to one called Perplex City. Here's a link: ARG Wiki Article

It really looks like it's going to be along the idea of what they were showing on Numb3rs on TV a few weeks ago. If it is, you shouldn't need different equipment.

Kinda sorta.

Wherigo isn't a game as much as it will be an access point to download tiny GPS-based ARGs and tours that are created by the players (in the same way that GC.com is the access point to download information regarding caches hidden by players).

Here's some wayback links to the beta page:

Home

Player

Builder

Keep in mind that the beta version was Pocket PC only and that the live version will allow for other options.

Reading the quick take it's a framework that allows various things to be done.

The first thing I thought of was a game of assisination that used to be played at the U where I went to school. Last man standing "won". That was a location based game though no GPSs were used and not everybody in authority liked the concept of killing your buddies in the middle of class because that's where you knew they would be.

Unfortunatly that drove the game so far underground that I could never find the people who set it up....Maybe that was the first test to see if you were fit to play.

On second take...I think Sbell111's got a better grasp of it than I do.

Edited by Renegade Knight

According to the patent that Jeremy and Elias have on the Wherigo technology, it's designed to be used on PDA or GPS-enabled cell phones. I'm pretty sure the cell phone aspect will be used far more than a GPS enabled PDA though. (Although I just got an ipaq rx5915, so I'm ready to go!!)

The technology really could be fun, if people get creative enough with it. One possible problem could be that you might have to be a programmer to script a really neat adventure. Wherigo uses the LUA scripting engine, which is the same thing used by a number of scriptable/moddable video games. I'm not sure how many regular folks are going to have the time or know-how to put together localized adventures with the technology, but hopefully Groundspeak already thought of that and has a solution to make it easy for the masses.

Another possible issue is the battery life of existing devices capable of running an adventure. PDAs and some phones might only have 4-5 hours of battery life with a GPS receiver running. Will that be enough to complete an adventure, or will you have to stop to recharge?

I think the technology is great, and has some wonderful potential. The idea of an interactive real-world fictional adventure is extremely cool. (And that's just the gaming aspect... I can see it being used for automating self-guided tours, like through Gettysburg Battlefield or something.... lots of potential)

United States Patent 6,691,032

Irish , et al. February 10, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System and method for executing user-definable events triggered through geolocational data describing zones of influence

Abstract

A system and method for executing user-definable events triggered through geolocational data describing zones of influence is described. One or more zones of influence are defined. Each zone of influence is described by stored geolocational data and forms a logically enclosed physical space. One or more user-definable events are associated with each zone of influence. Each user-definable event specifies a trigger condition based on the stored geolocational data for the associated zone of influence. A location of a user device is identified based on further geolocational data and at least one user-definable event is triggered when the location of the user device substantially correlates to the stored geolocational data for the trigger condition of the at least one user-definable event.

Edit: A little more from the patent opens up the possibility for more than just cell phones and PDAs:

... wherein the processing capabilities are provided by at least one of a personal or laptop computer, either a wireless or standard personal data assistant, a programmable cellular telephone, a programmable pager, a wireless email client, a two-way radio, and a dedicated processing device...

Edited by DocDiTTo

It was suggested during the beta process that users could create adventures ending at a Geocache.

I hope when the release comes this is still true, and such a cache would be published. Could they possibly get their own cachetype, considering those without the right equipment would be unable to complete the trail?

The beta software would never recognise my BT GPS receiver, fingers crossed it will work this time!

It could be you!

:)

:P

I don't think that it's strictly web-based. You go online to read about the different 'tours', download each one, and post your experiences, but I don't think that you could play it online.

I wandered around the beta site some and I don't think that game could be played without a GPS-enabled PDA or cell phone. As I understand the game, you download the 'tour' to your pda and it leads your from location to location, showing you the sites or telling an interactive story as you go.

I guess that a person could play with a tablet or laptop cabled to a GPSr and I suppose that someone smarter than me will cable his GPSr to his non-GPS pda to play...

without really knowing anything...I would guess that you could set up a "Zone" with only online tools, and only would need the fancy toys to play out in the world? That would mean that you may not even need a GPS to set up your "Zone"

After reading what has been posted in the links here, it looks as though the CREATION of a zone and its adventure can be web-based but the actual PLAYING of a zone and its adventure is done in real life. Did I get that right?

If I can figure out how to successfully create these things, I am going to have to create a tour or two around town. And, as mentioned previously, I suppose creating a cache at the end of the tour would be a natural add-on bonus.

Will these adventures ("cartridges") have to go through a reviewer first?

Will these adventures ("cartridges") have to go through a reviewer first?

I was wondering that myself. Unlike a cache, these cartridges could have lots of different locations to visit, and the places could vary depending on your decisions. There could be a lot of specific locations to review. Another concern is content. Right now, cache pages are read by reviewers and any inappropriate content is flagged before the cache is published. If there's no review on cartridges, inappropriate content could easily be incorporated into them. I'm guessing there will be some way of reporting such a cartridge so it can be removed from the site, but having some sort of initial review process would be nice as well. Perhaps such checks will be done by software, rather than a live person.

Yet another question I've had is whether any Wherigo locations will be allowed indoors. Since GPS enabled cell phones use the cell signal for their location, they work indoors where a standard GPS device won't. That would allow Wherigo adventures to take you into a mall, for example. Unfortunately that would also limit who could use the cartridge.

I'm sure all our questions will be answered in a couple weeks when the site goes live and the Wherigo software is revealed.

Wow... I just found out about this web site: http://www.mscapers.com

It's almost exactly the same idea as Wherigo. I wonder if Groundspeak has talked to HP about potential patent infringement? Or maybe HP licensed the technology? Or maybe, since HP already has their product out in a public beta, they've beaten Groundspeak to the punch?

Looks like there will be at least a little competition in this new realm...

It's almost exactly the same idea as Wherigo. I wonder if Groundspeak has talked to HP about potential patent infringement? Or maybe HP licensed the technology? Or maybe, since HP already has their product out in a public beta, they've beaten Groundspeak to the punch?

Wow. This is a paste directly from their website...

" A mediascape is like... a treasure hunt

A treasure hunt game is a good analogy. Both are concerned with locating information in the space around us. In a treasure hunt the organiser sets a trail of clues throughout a building, for followers on foot, or an area of the country-side, for followers in cars.

Although each clue is an individual thing they all link together to provide an overall experience for the people following them. The whole project usually has to be well mapped out and thought through before the clues are located in their hiding places. "

Well, forget these folks. I just spent ten minutes reading up on their little excursion thing and they don't have any support for anything Mac and they have no intention of supporting Mac. Everything must be done on a PC.

Oh well.

I suppose I'll stick with Wherigo.com

Oh! And on top of that...it must be Windows XP! They don't support Windows 2000 or Vista, either!

Edited by tabulator32

Actually, Groundspeak beat HP to the punch. Wherigo was in public beta in late 2006, as I recall. The mscapers website apparently was introduced as a beta sometime this year. Edited by sbell111