So.. Anyone ever PLACE a benchmark?

foxtrot_xray

So this past week I was going through my records, sorting out inconsistancies and other such, when I came across EE1726. Now, I know that when I first searched for this water tank, there was a description there. However, if you pull it up now, you will see that.. uh.. my 'find' is the only one listed (I logged that before I started logging as 'GEOCACHE'). I KNOW there had to have been another description, because how would I have know it to be the apex?

The only other possibility is that I got a county record of the datasheet and went off of that. However, I don't remember doing that and have no logs of that, so it's a small chance I did that.

But, that made me wonder.. Will any of us GEOCAC people get to 'MONUMENT' a mark? How about getting one of those 'in honor of' marks? :D

Me, in a slow week at work.

So this past week I was going through my records, sorting out inconsistancies and other such, when I came across EE1726. Now, I know that when I first searched for this water tank, there was a description there. However, if you pull it up now, you will see that.. uh.. my 'find' is the only one listed (I logged that before I started logging as 'GEOCACHE'). I KNOW there had to have been another description, because how would I have know it to be the apex?

The only other possibility is that I got a county record of the datasheet and went off of that. However, I don't remember doing that and have no logs of that, so it's a small chance I did that.

But, that made me wonder.. Will any of us GEOCAC people get to 'MONUMENT' a mark? How about getting one of those 'in honor of' marks? :D

Me, in a slow week at work.

Here's a cache that was a benchmark. If you turned the disc, it would unscrew and reveal the cache underneath. One of my favorite hides.

>>If you turned the disc, it would unscrew and reveal the cache underneath

No! No! No!

Tampering with a benchmark disk can ruin the precisely measured elevation. Worse, the change may not be apparent until some poor surveyor has tried to use it and had problems making things agree.

Even if this was a disk that came from somewhere else and was set up as a dummy to make a cache, then many people have been trained to tamper with benchmarks. Bad idea.

--------

As far as setting them, I know that several of the professionals on the forum have done so, even to the point of getting them into the NGS data base.

A couple years ago, there was thread where spoo set his own personalized bronze disk. I don't think there was any precise data taken on it.

---------

As an amateur, I once set a bunch of "benchmarks" around a building, although none of them resembled the bronze disks. Mostly I epoxied glass beads on stone and stainless steel screws in concrete. I also used existing bolts and such. I did a leveling network with redundant measurements using my old brass transit and extreme care, to attempt to see if the foundation had settled unevenly. I got 72 measurements on 26 points that required an rms adjustment of well under 0.2 mm to agree. I was amazed at how well it turned out.

Edit: add link

Edited by Bill93

The vast majority of my work involves private property boundaries, so it would be very unusual for a mark that I set to be included in the National Spatial Reference System. None the less, here are the only two that I am aware of, set by me and listed in the NSRS.

The first was set as a cadastral marker while surveying Segment 206 of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail Exterior Corridor Boundary. 206-VT-102

61fa47b3-a4dc-43a7-a6fb-4f112cbcc37a.jpg

It was later remeasured with GPS by the Vermont Agency of Transportation and used to control a bridge project just down the road. It was VAOT that had it bluebooked with NGS.

The other, Linholm, was also part of a federal cadastral survey, this time for the National Forest Service. I set the marker in a large boulder and incorporated it in my network of conventional measurements for a boundary survey of Tract 150K of the Green Mountain National Forest. The Forest Service then performed the GPS observations necessary to have it bluebooked. I haven't been back to it since I started benchmarking, and I doubt anyone else has seen it since either. BTW I'm pretty sure I stamped it "Lindholm", not "Linholm".

9321ed0c-a9e9-4f96-95f5-57c549f652d5.jpg

Like Holtie, a lot of my work involves property boundaries, but I've also spent a good portion of my career working as the surveyor for the City Engineers for various communities in the area. Part of the Surveyor's responsibilities is the maintenence of the monuments and records for the local benchmark networks. Some of the smaller communities rely wholy on nearby Federal, State, and County benchmarks, while some of the communities have their own benchmark network. (These community networks are always referenced to another, larger benchmark network, such as the NGS, USGS, or a County network, which is ultimately derived from the NGS or USGS network anyway.) Part of the benchmark network maintenence also involves the physical benchmarks, including replacing damaged or destroyed monuments (if necessary), and installing new marks where development requires. The benchmark networks are routinely checked for variences every 3-10 years depending on the area. (Areas prone to subsidence due to groundwater fluctuations are sometimes checked bi-annually.)

The marks I've set, and reset, have been everything from 1"-2" brasscaps set in concrete, brasscaps used as pipe caps, chiseled squares on concrete curbs, and even railroad spikes set in power poles. (It may be illegal, but it's a very common practice, around here anyway.) All these marks have been set in a manner similar to the marks we seek listed in the NGS database, although the physical mark may have a different look. In most cases, the class and order of the set marks are dependent on the class & order of the parent marks and/or networks, but I have set some where I went through the effort to meet the NGS requirements that the mark could have been bluebooked. In each of those cases, the client and/or project dictated otherwise. So, to answer the thread topic: Yes, I've set benchmarks, however none have been submitted to the NGS for inclusion in the database (which, I think, is the intent of the thread topic.)

These are a few pics of some geodetic control I set for project early last year. (I'm not in the pics as I was taking them.) These were dual-purpose marks as they had both horizontal and vertical components associated with them. They were measured with a Trimble R8 system with a 4 hour (minimum) static occupation. The data was then run through the NGS's OPUS service. (The kicker, for me, was when the client flew "an expert" in from back east to check my work. He checked it with a Garmin ETrex!)

93917606-S.jpg

Link to BIG PIC

93917603-S.jpg

Link to BIG PIC

93917610-S.jpg

Link to BIG PIC

View the complete set of Final Control Pics HERE

View the Project Pics HERE

- Kewaneh

These are a few pics of some geodetic control I set for project early last year. (I'm not in the pics as I was taking them.) These were dual-purpose marks as they had both horizontal and vertical components associated with them. They were measured with a Trimble R8 system with a 4 hour (minimum) static occupation. The data was then run through the NGS's OPUS service. (The kicker, for me, was when the client flew "an expert" in from back east to check my work. He checked it with a Garmin ETrex!)

Neat pics.. But one question - was it smart to put the mark in the dead center of the road? Doesn't that ask for any traffic (construction or otherwise) to flatten it? :D

Here is one I was responsible for procuring the funds for the monument and then I worked with Steve from the county on getting permission to place the monument and also writing the "go to" description as well as the static GPS sessions and watching over the placing. Steve actually took care of the Blue Booking process on this one, but I have done 4 previous Blue Book processes for CBN and FBN stations during our state readjustment a few years back.

Step 1: Procure a monument or find an acceptable existing monument.

Step 2: If it is a new monument, then set to NGS standards.

Step 3: Let the monument cure for a month or two and build a "Go To" description

Step 4: Gather the GPS data on multiple sessions according to NGS standards along with the photo documentation, weather data and disk rubbings.

Step 5: Perform the data checks and Blue Booking process and submit to NGS

Step6: Wait for your data to go throught the NGS processing and publishing process.

The NGS Data SheetSee file dsdata.txt for more information about the datasheet.DATABASE = Sybase ,PROGRAM = datasheet, VERSION = 7.57

1 National Geodetic Survey, Retrieval Date = DECEMBER 16, 2007

DH9363 ***********************************************************************

DH9363 DESIGNATION - CORPS II TRAVELERS REST

DH9363 PID - DH9363

DH9363 STATE/COUNTY- MT/MISSOULA

DH9363 USGS QUAD - SOUTHWEST MISSOULA (1978)

DH9363

DH9363 *CURRENT SURVEY CONTROL

DH9363 ___________________________________________________________________

DH9363* NAD 83(1999)- 46 45 10.02394(N) 114 05 18.63138(W) ADJUSTED

DH9363* NAVD 88 - 973.3 (meters) 3193. (feet) GPS OBS

DH9363 X - -1,787,033.872 (meters) COMP

DH9363 Y - -3,997,114.809 (meters) COMP

DH9363 Z - 4,623,676.656 (meters) COMP

DH9363 LAPLACE CORR- -2.79 (seconds) DEFLEC99

DH9363 ELLIP HEIGHT- 958.583 (meters) (04/21/06) ADJUSTED

DH9363 GEOID HEIGHT- -14.75 (meters) GEOID03

DH9363 HORZ ORDER - A

DH9363 ELLP ORDER - FOURTH CLASS I

DH9363

DH9363.The horizontal coordinates were established by GPS observations

DH9363.and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in April 2006.

DH9363

DH9363.The orthometric height was determined by GPS observations and a

DH9363.high-resolution geoid model.

DH9363

DH9363.The X, Y, and Z were computed from the position and the ellipsoidal ht.

DH9363

DH9363.The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.

DH9363

DH9363.The ellipsoidal height was determined by GPS observations

DH9363.and is referenced to NAD 83.

DH9363

DH9363.The geoid height was determined by GEOID03.

DH9363

DH9363; North East Units Scale Factor Converg.

DH9363;SPC MT - 288,371.539 249,819.699 MT 0.99940287 -3 21 23.4

DH9363;SPC MT - 946,100.85 819,618.44 iFT 0.99940287 -3 21 23.4

DH9363;UTM 11 - 5,181,809.490 722,360.945 MT 1.00020777 +2 07 17.8

DH9363

DH9363! - Elev Factor x Scale Factor = Combined Factor

DH9363!SPC MT - 0.99984976 x 0.99940287 = 0.99925272

DH9363!UTM 11 - 0.99984976 x 1.00020777 = 1.00005750

DH9363

DH9363 SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL

DH9363

DH9363.No superseded survey control is available for this station.

DH9363

DH9363_U.S. NATIONAL GRID SPATIAL ADDRESS: 11TQM2236181809(NAD 83)

DH9363_MARKER: DD = SURVEY DISK

DH9363_SETTING: 7 = SET IN TOP OF CONCRETE MONUMENT

DH9363_PROJECTION: FLUSH

DH9363_MAGNETIC: R = STEEL ROD IMBEDDED IN MONUMENT

DH9363_STABILITY: C = MAY HOLD, BUT OF TYPE COMMONLY SUBJECT TO

DH9363+STABILITY: SURFACE MOTION

DH9363_SATELLITE: THE SITE LOCATION WAS REPORTED AS SUITABLE FOR

DH9363+SATELLITE: SATELLITE OBSERVATIONS - September 13, 2006

DH9363

DH9363 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

DH9363 HISTORY - 20040923 MONUMENTED MSLACO

DH9363 HISTORY - 20060913 GOOD GEOCAC

DH9363

DH9363 STATION DESCRIPTION

DH9363

DH9363'DESCRIBED BY MISSOULA COUNTY SURVEYOR 2004

DH9363'THE STATION IS LOCATED ABOUT 9.5 AIR MI (15.29 KM) SOUTHWEST FROM

DH9363'MISSOULA, 8.5 MI (13.68 KM) NORTH OF FLORENCE, 0.35 MI (0.56 KM) WEST

DH9363'OF LOLO, AT THE TRAVELERS REST STATE PARK. OWNERSHIP - MONTANA

DH9363'DEPARTMENT OF FISH, WILDLIFE, AND PARKS.

DH9363'

DH9363'TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE INTERSECTION OF U.S. HIGWAYS 12 AND 93

DH9363'IN LOLO, TRAVEL WEST ON U.S. HIGHWAY 12 FOR 0.35 MI (0.56 KM) TO THE

DH9363'ENTRANCE TO THE TRAVELERS REST STATE PARK. THE ENTRANCE HAS A DOUBLE

DH9363'GREEN METAL GATE AND IS ABOUT 250 FT (76.2 M) WEST OF GUY'S LOLO CREEK

DH9363'STEAKHOUSE AND SOUTH OF THE HOLT HERITAGE MUSEUM. TURN LEFT, SOUTH,

DH9363'ON THE ACCESS ROAD FOR 0.25 MI (0.4 KM) TO A PARKING AREA WITH A

DH9363'LANDSCAPED ISLAND WITH HANDICAP PARKING ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE

DH9363'ISLAND AND THE STATION.

DH9363'

DH9363'THE STATION IS A BRONZE CORPS OF DISCOVERY II COMMEMORATIVE DISK 6

DH9363'INCHES (15 CM) IN DIAMETER SET IN TOP OF A CONCRETE MONUMENT 46 CM (18

DH9363'INCH) IN DIAMETER AT THE TOP WIDENING TO 122 CM (48 INCH) AT ITS BASE

DH9363'THAT IS 182 CM (72 INCH) DEEP FLUSH WITH THE GROUND. IT IS LOCATED IN

DH9363'THE MIDDLE OF THE LANDSCAPED ISLAND IN THE PARKING LOT, 22.3 FT (6.8

DH9363'M) SOUTHEAST OF THE CENTER OF A SIDWALK RUNNING SOUTHWESTERLY, 9.0 FT

DH9363'(2.7 M) SOUTHEAST OF THE SOUTHEASTERLY MOST HANDICAP PARKING SIGN, AND

DH9363'2.9 FT (0.9 M) SOUTHWEST OF THE SOUTHWEST EDGE OF A CONCRETE SIDEWALK.

DH9363

DH9363 STATION RECOVERY (2006)

DH9363

DH9363'RECOVERY NOTE BY GEOCACHING 2006 (WD)

DH9363'RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.

*** retrieval complete.

Elapsed Time = 00:00:00

e2408ced-d03d-42bd-95df-19326c95bef8.jpg

Bore a 6' deep hole.

b351e8a4-b67a-4564-987b-58f31a2ff382.jpg

Fill With Concrete, insert sonotube and monument.

ca707ed5-a7a2-4065-86ce-aa4e905b17ba.jpg

Make it all nice and pretty.

f1f8df2d-d8cf-43d3-847a-f9e115ad83a6.jpg

Let it cure.

636e82f8-4efe-45bb-8007-41deb1dcf75f.jpg

Perform the GPS observations.

039c3124-adf0-4c67-9df5-8e62b84ba459.jpg

Wait for famous Geocachers, like Seventhings, to travel thousands of miles to recover!

The life of a benchmark.

By CallawayMT

Neat pics.. But one question - was it smart to put the mark in the dead center of the road? Doesn't that ask for any traffic (construction or otherwise) to flatten it? :rolleyes:

The approximate positions for the control marks were dictated in our project contract prior to the commencement of the project. The final task of the project was to set the control after the completion of all earthmoving and grading. The "road" that you see the mark set in is not much more than a cow trail across the field. It was not a designed road, just a place where someone (mostly me) had driven a truck a few times, mostly to access the mark position.

As far as the future of the mark: any mark set by a surveyor or engineer has the potential of being damaged or destroyed at any time. This particular mark, that looks like it was set in the middle of a road, is actually fairly well protected. The road itself would have easily disappeared by the first or second rain. (There are some well defined roads on the site; this was not one of them.) The mark also lies within 340 enclosed acres of an abandoned oil field waste site that is going through an "environmental reconditioning" to return it to a natural state. It is bounded on two sides by 4000+ acres of oil fields, and bounded on the other two sides by rugged lands used only for range cattle. The only people accessing the site for the next few decades would be the oil field foremen. The only reason for anyone to be in the area of the mark, would be to check on the mark itself. All the marks were identified with a Carsonite post so the mark could be located. I think the marks we set that day have a good chance of being around easily for a few decades.

- Kewaneh

Edited by Kewaneh & Shark
All the marks were identified with a Carsonite post so the could be located. I think the marks we set that day have a good chance of being around easily for a few decades.

- Kewaneh

Ah, okay. Couldn't tell all that from the photo. :rolleyes:

So now that I know several people here HAVE set benchmarks, (whether or not they are NGS-submitted or not) what would be the difference in getting one submitted with the 'GEOCAC' agency?

All the marks were identified with a Carsonite post so the could be located. I think the marks we set that day have a good chance of being around easily for a few decades.

- Kewaneh

Ah, okay. Couldn't tell all that from the photo. :lol:

So now that I know several people here HAVE set benchmarks, (whether or not they are NGS-submitted or not) what would be the difference in getting one submitted with the 'GEOCAC' agency?

Foxtrot,

You do not need to be an NGS employee, federal employee or even a licensed land surveyor to submit data to the NGS to be included into the data base. That being said, you do have to do as I stated above and follow all of the NGS standards for installatation, documentation, data acquisition and data submission.

Without the knowledge, equipment, money and time to do all of these, you cannot get them into the NGS data base.

There is no ''GEOCAC' agency" for submitting data to, that is simply an idenitfying designation for submitting mark recoveries to the NGS.

I hope this helps,

CallawayMT

I think it would be possible to have a mark made with the designation of "GEOCAC" on it (or any designation of your choosing) by simply getting in touch with Bernsten and placing an order. Then you could either just place it for fun in your patio/yard or pay to have a surveyor officially place it and not have it be included in the NGS (probably doable).

Myself, I love the collectibles on Bernsten's site. The Compass Rose Medallions are my favorites.

Just a thought from Shirley....

(Please - do not take offense to anything in this post, as it is meant only to be of some help.)

It seems that it is possible to get a vanity benchmark into the NGS system.

Atlantis was set by Atlantis Aerial Survey in a garden in the parking lot in front of their building. (AASCO also logs a lot of benchmarks locally.) As CallawayMT says, it takes a lot of knowledge, equipment, money and time. But it can be done.

Wow, for a vanity benchmark, that'sx kinda plain. Woulda expected something fancier. Especially for the name 'Atlantis'. :)

Thanks for the info, everyone. So ourselves - as the "GEOCAC"/Geocaching organization would have a difficult time actually getting the mark into the NGS database - with the 'GEOCAC' agency label. Because the agency that did all the high-tech measuring would be the one who got the label for it? (Did I understand that right?)

(I guess the bigger questions would be: 1. Would we want to, and 2. Could we agree on a location if #1 was 'Yes'.)

And yes, I love Bernsten's collectible roses too. Only have one, but I like 'em all. :)

Me.

I suppose that it's remotely possible that an agency or firm doing a station setting project, in which bluebooking would be involved, could be somehow motivated to name a station GEOCAC somewhere.

Hey, uh, DaveD, Christmas is coming up soon, hint, hint... :laughing:

This might be False, or it might just be Nonsense.

So, anybody here know how Fort Nonsense got its name?

Patty

Good old Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Nonsense

Hey what about seeing if our Surveying friend Ernie Cantu could line one out in a future project near the Center of it all at or near Meades Ranch.

I think that would be cool.

I will write him and see what he says.

Maybe some of you could as well,some of you surveyors might make a big difference with a little knuge.

We could do a Big Event and have a grand Ole time.

It would be CENTER from ALL whom live within the Contiguous USA.

So theoretically we would all be at an equal distance from it,at any given moment.

We could start in advance because I am sure it will take a while to set it all up.

What do you all think?

Hey what about seeing if our Surveying friend Ernie Cantu could line one out in a future project near the Center of it all at or near Meades Ranch.

I think that would be cool.

I will write him and see what he says.

Maybe some of you could as well,some of you surveyors might make a big difference with a little knuge.

We could do a Big Event and have a grand Ole time.

It would be CENTER from ALL whom live within the Contiguous USA.

So theoretically we would all be at an equal distance from it,at any given moment.

We could start in advance because I am sure it will take a while to set it all up.

What do you all think?

We doubt that we could go to an event there, but we would if we could. Even though we do not log with the NGS, we're still part of the family. :)

It sounds like a good idea that would be a lot of fun. A place to go visit that would be comparable to 'The First Geocache'.

I saw the post you just put up, and I'm for it. In fact, I'll drive out there to see the setting of it. (I love long drives..!)

On the financial side, what would we expect? (paying for a custom disk, etc etc?)

Very nice post and a great list of replies. As a cadastral surveyor ,Read party chief, here in Oregon. I get the chance to follow the General Land Office's original notes in search of Government corners. We also check into alot of Benchmarks, and used several for local base stations for our RTK GPS work. Now that we have the cors reference stations running, we haven't used as many benchmarks as in the past. I can tell you that tampering with a set survey marker in general is a violation of state law. Not to mention a real pain for the unlucky character who has to try to figure out where the extra 2/10ths of a foot came from. I have only had the opportunity to set 2 benchmarks in my 7 yrs. Not sure how many more will get set, but its nice to see the work used for different things. Merry Christmas. Keep up the hunt

Looks like a H.A.R.N. set up. Nice work.

Here is one I was responsible for procuring the funds for the monument and then I worked with Steve from the county on getting permission to place the monument and also writing the "go to" description as well as the static GPS sessions and watching over the placing. Steve actually took care of the Blue Booking process on this one, but I have done 4 previous Blue Book processes for CBN and FBN stations during our state readjustment a few years back.

Step 1: Procure a monument or find an acceptable existing monument.

Step 2: If it is a new monument, then set to NGS standards.

Step 3: Let the monument cure for a month or two and build a "Go To" description

Step 4: Gather the GPS data on multiple sessions according to NGS standards along with the photo documentation, weather data and disk rubbings.

Step 5: Perform the data checks and Blue Booking process and submit to NGS

Step6: Wait for your data to go throught the NGS processing and publishing process.

The NGS Data SheetSee file dsdata.txt for more information about the datasheet.DATABASE = Sybase ,PROGRAM = datasheet, VERSION = 7.57

1 National Geodetic Survey, Retrieval Date = DECEMBER 16, 2007

DH9363 ***********************************************************************

DH9363 DESIGNATION - CORPS II TRAVELERS REST

DH9363 PID - DH9363

DH9363 STATE/COUNTY- MT/MISSOULA

DH9363 USGS QUAD - SOUTHWEST MISSOULA (1978)

DH9363

DH9363 *CURRENT SURVEY CONTROL

DH9363* NAD 83(1999)- 46 45 10.02394(N) 114 05 18.63138(W) ADJUSTED

DH9363* NAVD 88 - 973.3 (meters) 3193. (feet) GPS OBS

DH9363 X - -1,787,033.872 (meters) COMP

DH9363 Y - -3,997,114.809 (meters) COMP

DH9363 Z - 4,623,676.656 (meters) COMP

DH9363 LAPLACE CORR- -2.79 (seconds) DEFLEC99

DH9363 ELLIP HEIGHT- 958.583 (meters) (04/21/06) ADJUSTED

DH9363 GEOID HEIGHT- -14.75 (meters) GEOID03

DH9363 HORZ ORDER - A

DH9363 ELLP ORDER - FOURTH CLASS I

DH9363

DH9363.The horizontal coordinates were established by GPS observations

DH9363.and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in April 2006.

DH9363

DH9363.The orthometric height was determined by GPS observations and a

DH9363.high-resolution geoid model.

DH9363

DH9363.The X, Y, and Z were computed from the position and the ellipsoidal ht.

DH9363

DH9363.The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.

DH9363

DH9363.The ellipsoidal height was determined by GPS observations

DH9363.and is referenced to NAD 83.

DH9363

DH9363.The geoid height was determined by GEOID03.

DH9363

DH9363; North East Units Scale Factor Converg.

DH9363;SPC MT - 288,371.539 249,819.699 MT 0.99940287 -3 21 23.4

DH9363;SPC MT - 946,100.85 819,618.44 iFT 0.99940287 -3 21 23.4

DH9363;UTM 11 - 5,181,809.490 722,360.945 MT 1.00020777 +2 07 17.8

DH9363

DH9363! - Elev Factor x Scale Factor = Combined Factor

DH9363!SPC MT - 0.99984976 x 0.99940287 = 0.99925272

DH9363!UTM 11 - 0.99984976 x 1.00020777 = 1.00005750

DH9363

DH9363 SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL

DH9363

DH9363.No superseded survey control is available for this station.

DH9363

DH9363_U.S. NATIONAL GRID SPATIAL ADDRESS: 11TQM2236181809(NAD 83)

DH9363_MARKER: DD = SURVEY DISK

DH9363_SETTING: 7 = SET IN TOP OF CONCRETE MONUMENT

DH9363_PROJECTION: FLUSH

DH9363_MAGNETIC: R = STEEL ROD IMBEDDED IN MONUMENT

DH9363_STABILITY: C = MAY HOLD, BUT OF TYPE COMMONLY SUBJECT TO

DH9363+STABILITY: SURFACE MOTION

DH9363_SATELLITE: THE SITE LOCATION WAS REPORTED AS SUITABLE FOR

DH9363+SATELLITE: SATELLITE OBSERVATIONS - September 13, 2006

DH9363

DH9363 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

DH9363 HISTORY - 20040923 MONUMENTED MSLACO

DH9363 HISTORY - 20060913 GOOD GEOCAC

DH9363

DH9363 STATION DESCRIPTION

DH9363

DH9363'DESCRIBED BY MISSOULA COUNTY SURVEYOR 2004

DH9363'THE STATION IS LOCATED ABOUT 9.5 AIR MI (15.29 KM) SOUTHWEST FROM

DH9363'MISSOULA, 8.5 MI (13.68 KM) NORTH OF FLORENCE, 0.35 MI (0.56 KM) WEST

DH9363'OF LOLO, AT THE TRAVELERS REST STATE PARK. OWNERSHIP - MONTANA

DH9363'DEPARTMENT OF FISH, WILDLIFE, AND PARKS.

DH9363'

DH9363'TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE INTERSECTION OF U.S. HIGWAYS 12 AND 93

DH9363'IN LOLO, TRAVEL WEST ON U.S. HIGHWAY 12 FOR 0.35 MI (0.56 KM) TO THE

DH9363'ENTRANCE TO THE TRAVELERS REST STATE PARK. THE ENTRANCE HAS A DOUBLE

DH9363'GREEN METAL GATE AND IS ABOUT 250 FT (76.2 M) WEST OF GUY'S LOLO CREEK

DH9363'STEAKHOUSE AND SOUTH OF THE HOLT HERITAGE MUSEUM. TURN LEFT, SOUTH,

DH9363'ON THE ACCESS ROAD FOR 0.25 MI (0.4 KM) TO A PARKING AREA WITH A

DH9363'LANDSCAPED ISLAND WITH HANDICAP PARKING ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE

DH9363'ISLAND AND THE STATION.

DH9363'

DH9363'THE STATION IS A BRONZE CORPS OF DISCOVERY II COMMEMORATIVE DISK 6

DH9363'INCHES (15 CM) IN DIAMETER SET IN TOP OF A CONCRETE MONUMENT 46 CM (18

DH9363'INCH) IN DIAMETER AT THE TOP WIDENING TO 122 CM (48 INCH) AT ITS BASE

DH9363'THAT IS 182 CM (72 INCH) DEEP FLUSH WITH THE GROUND. IT IS LOCATED IN

DH9363'THE MIDDLE OF THE LANDSCAPED ISLAND IN THE PARKING LOT, 22.3 FT (6.8

DH9363'M) SOUTHEAST OF THE CENTER OF A SIDWALK RUNNING SOUTHWESTERLY, 9.0 FT

DH9363'(2.7 M) SOUTHEAST OF THE SOUTHEASTERLY MOST HANDICAP PARKING SIGN, AND

DH9363'2.9 FT (0.9 M) SOUTHWEST OF THE SOUTHWEST EDGE OF A CONCRETE SIDEWALK.

DH9363

DH9363 STATION RECOVERY (2006)

DH9363

DH9363'RECOVERY NOTE BY GEOCACHING 2006 (WD)

DH9363'RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.

*** retrieval complete.

Elapsed Time = 00:00:00

e2408ced-d03d-42bd-95df-19326c95bef8.jpg

Bore a 6' deep hole.

b351e8a4-b67a-4564-987b-58f31a2ff382.jpg

Fill With Concrete, insert sonotube and monument.

ca707ed5-a7a2-4065-86ce-aa4e905b17ba.jpg

Make it all nice and pretty.

f1f8df2d-d8cf-43d3-847a-f9e115ad83a6.jpg

Let it cure.

636e82f8-4efe-45bb-8007-41deb1dcf75f.jpg

Perform the GPS observations.

039c3124-adf0-4c67-9df5-8e62b84ba459.jpg

Wait for famous Geocachers, like Seventhings, to travel thousands of miles to recover!

The life of a benchmark.

By CallawayMT