A few Final software questions: Garmin City Nav & Metro Guide

SuaveGato

Hello all,

still trying to figure out the best (compromise of $ & features) for me... just wondering if anyone could confirm the data I have and fill in the blanks where I don't have it? THANKS.

City Nav N. Am NT 2008

• is version 9?
  • Is PN 010-10816-00?
  • ONLY comes with 1 unlock code (and so can ONLY be used on 1 GPSr)? But can be loaded to multiple computers?

City Nav N. Am v08

• Is version 8?
  • Is PN 010-10474-00
  • Comes with 2 Unlock codes, so can be used on 2 GPSr’s And can be loaded to multiple computers?

Do all versions of CN prior to NT 2008 have 2 unlock codes?

Metro Guide N. Am

• Is NOT locked software, so can be installed on multiple GPS’rs & computers.
  • Has the same maps, POI etc. as CN but does not auto route.
  • I understand that earlier version however (ver 4) had auto routing capability? If this is true, does anyone know the last version that had it?
  • I also understand that the newer versions “can be massaged into auto routing” but have some challenges with it.

Thank you for your time and or answers…

biGjOhn

Hello all,

still trying to figure out the best (compromise of $ & features) for me... just wondering if anyone could confirm the data I have and fill in the blanks where I don't have it? THANKS.

City Nav N. Am NT 2008

• is version 9? No its version 2008 :D (its the newest verion)
  • Is PN 010-10816-00? Yes
  • ONLY comes with 1 unlock code (and so can ONLY be used on 1 GPSr)? But can be loaded to multiple computers? Yes

City Nav N. Am v08

• Is version 8? Yes, (theres no version 08)
  • Is PN 010-10474-00 Yes
  • Comes with 2 Unlock codes, so can be used on 2 GPSr's And can be loaded to multiple computers? Yes and can be upgraded free to v2008 for one of the 2 unlocks.

Do all versions of CN prior to NT 2008 have 2 unlock codes? Yes

Metro Guide N. Am

• Is NOT locked software, so can be installed on multiple GPS'rs & computers.Yes
  • Has the same maps, POI etc. as CN but does not auto route.Yes except for Postal code support for Canada which is only available in NT

• I understand that earlier version however (ver 4) had auto routing capability? If this is true, does anyone know the last version that had it? Yes v4 was the last.

• I also understand that the newer versions "can be massaged into auto routing" but have some challenges with it. yes there is a hack to alow routing

biGjOhn

Edited to change colour.

Edited by QuigleyJones

City Nav NT is the newest of their software. Almost same a regular City Nav 2008. Only difference is compresion routine so if you want you can install ALL of North Amercia on a 2gig micro SD card for you 60CSx. It can be installed on mulitple computers but is only unlocked for 1 GPS unit. I'm using this version of NT so to save space on my card.l

Hello all,

City Nav N. Am NT 2008

• is version 9? No its version 2008 :lol: (its the newest verion)
  • Is PN 010-10816-00? Yes
  • ONLY comes with 1 unlock code (and so can ONLY be used on 1 GPSr)? But can be loaded to multiple computers? Yes

City Nav N. Am v08

• Is version 8? Yes, (theres no version 08)
  • Is PN 010-10474-00 Yes
  • Comes with 2 Unlock codes, so can be used on 2 GPSr's And can be loaded to multiple computers? Yes and can be upgraded free to v2008 for one of the 2 unlocks.

Do all versions of CN prior to NT 2008 have 2 unlock codes? Yes

Metro Guide N. Am

• Is NOT locked software, so can be installed on multiple GPS'rs & computers.Yes
  • Has the same maps, POI etc. as CN but does not auto route.Yes except for Postal code support for Canada which is only available in NT

• I understand that earlier version however (ver 4) had auto routing capability? If this is true, does anyone know the last version that had it? Yes v4 was the last.

• I also understand that the newer versions "can be massaged into auto routing" but have some challenges with it. yes there is a hack to alow routing

biGjOhn

Edited to change colour.

AWESOME Thanks! I just got back into town, thank you so much for taking the time! I "priciate it".

biGjOhn

City Nav NT is the newest of their software. Almost same a regular City Nav 2008. Only difference is compresion routine so if you want you can install ALL of North Amercia on a 2gig micro SD card for you 60CSx. It can be installed on mulitple computers but is only unlocked for 1 GPS unit. I'm using this version of NT so to save space on my card.l

Kewl, sounds good thanks. I think I will get the CN version 8. then get the one free upgrade to 2008. ONe more question though, when getting the free upgrade, does that upgarde you to 2008 NT?

thanks folks,

biGjOhn

City Nav N. Am v08

[*]Is version 8? Yes, (theres no version 08)

[*]Is PN 010-10474-00 Yes

[*]Comes with 2 Unlock codes, so can be used on 2 GPSr's And can be loaded to multiple computers? Yes and can be upgraded free to v2008 for one of the 2 unlocks.

Hey Quig, one more question por favor if you don't mind...? How / where would I go for my 1 free unlock code to upgrade to 2008? And is that free upgrade to 2008 NT?

thanks again,

biGjOhn

The upgrade is done through garmin, after you register v8, request v2008 and they will send a free upgrade CD and unlock it to one registered unit.

if you buy v8 NT the upgrade will be 2008 NT.

if you buy v8 regular the upgrade will be v8 regular.

O,I,C. thank you again for your data, VERY helpful & informative!

The upgrade is done through garmin, after you register v8, request v2008 and they will send a free upgrade CD and unlock it to one registered unit.

if you buy v8 NT the upgrade will be 2008 NT.

if you buy v8 regular the upgrade will be v8 regular.

Hello again, Quig. i've been searching around for a while now for a City Nav 08 NT and can't seem to find one? Are you sure they had an NT version of CN 08 and not just ver 2008? The reason I ask is that I have 2 units, so need to get 08 with 2 unlock codes but would love to also be able to get a free 2008 upgrade. Both of my units are NT comaptible, so i'd like to start with the CN 08 NT but can't find it? Do you happen to know the PN?

thanks again,

biGjOhn

I think City Navigator North American NT v.8 is Garmin Part #: 010-10816-00. The v.8 is obsolete but there is still some stock available. Here's a link showing 17 DVD's available. I've bought from them without any problems. Can someone else confirm this part number?

I "think" that is version 2008 NOT version 08 though... at least according to the part number. if you look above at Quig's reply (in red) to my first post PN 010-10816-00 is listed as City Nav N. Am 2008 NT - the most current, latest & greatest version, right? And so would only come with 1 unlock code? I'm looking for CN N. Am 08, which came with 2 unlock codes... And curious if there was also an NT version of it and if so, what is PN for that?

thanks,

biGjOhn

I think City Navigator North American NT v.8 is Garmin Part #: 010-10816-00. The v.8 is obsolete but there is still some stock available. Here's a link showing 17 DVD's available. I've bought from them without any problems. Can someone else confirm this part number?

I "think" that is version 2008 NOT version 08 though... at least according to the part number. if you look above at Quig's reply (in red) to my first post PN 010-10816-00 is listed as City Nav N. Am 2008 NT - the most current, latest & greatest version, right? And so would only come with 1 unlock code? I'm looking for CN N. Am 08, which came with 2 unlock codes... And curious if there was also an NT version of it and if so, what is PN for that?

thanks,

biGjOhn

Thanks again Quigley…

I had another thought… I have already decided to get City Navigator North America NT v.8. That will allow me to load it on both of my GPS units, fit all the maps onto a 1 gig card (NT) and also get a free upgrade from Garmin for one of the units to CN NA NT 2008. Then I saw something interesting for sale on eBay… a Garmin GPS USB 18. As far as I can tell, it is basically just a USB GPSr that plugs into your laptop or desk top. It also comes with City Navigator North America NT v.8 and is about the same price as just the Cn NA NT v.8 DVD, $100. So I’m wondering, if I got that, I can load the DVD onto my laptop & desktop right? The DVD has no unlock needed to load onto computers, just GPSr’s… Then I can load the maps to my two GPS units (etrex vist cx & map60 csx). So my question is, would I then be able to use the USB GPS receiver on my laptop and or desktop too or would it need an unlock code? Since I’m not uploading any maps to it… it shouldn’t need an unlock code right? Just like I can plug ANYONE’S GPS into my desktop and connect to it and track my current position etc. I just can’t upload maps to it cuz it’s not my registered serial number… right? If that is the case, then I think I AM FINALLY SET… Get a Garmin USB GPSr 18 with City Nav N. America NT v.8 and I will have everything that I need and a bonus receiver for my laptop or desktop too?

So in a nutshell, does the Garmin USB GPSr 18 require an unlock code?

Thanks,

biGjOhn

Yes, the gps18 uses one of the two unlocks for V7 or V8. I would assume with the policy change with the 2008 or 2008NT version you would only get the unlock for the gps18.

A few years back when I was using an etrex LegendC I decided to buy a gps18 with city select V7 and use the additional unlock on the legendC. I have only used that gps18 a couple times, it's really pointless since you can use your garmin handheld in the same manner(hooked to PC) and still have the handhelds screen.

basically buying the gps18 I ended up with a really fancy refrigerator magnet(it's been stuck to side of fridge for at least a year). yes I did get to use the second unlock for the legendC, but lost out on the first unlock with a gps device I'm probably never going to use(the gps18).

Yes, the gps18 uses one of the two unlocks for V7 or V8. I would assume with the policy change with the 2008 or 2008NT version you would only get the unlock for the gps18.

A few years back when I was using an etrex LegendC I decided to buy a gps18 with city select V7 and use the additional unlock on the legendC. I have only used that gps18 a couple times, it's really pointless since you can use your garmin handheld in the same manner(hooked to PC) and still have the handhelds screen.

basically buying the gps18 I ended up with a really fancy refrigerator magnet(it's been stuck to side of fridge for at least a year). yes I did get to use the second unlock for the legendC, but lost out on the first unlock with a gps device I'm probably never going to use(the gps18).

Ah ha, that makes good sense, thanks. I have enough "fridge magnets" LOL. and like you say, I can still use either of my handheld GPS's instead of the stand alone GPS18...