2008 Indiana Spring Picnic

Lord Elwood

Great Darryl! I guess the campfires will be warm and the beer cold, right?!

Sounds great to me, noticed you are 1 site over from us at the fall picnic too, we are site 26 there too!

Hey Jeni it's not to late to move your sites. You might want to or Darryl will have you out caching at night in the pouring down rain plus he is getting old and cranky. ;)

Great Darryl! I guess the campfires will be warm and the beer cold, right?!

Sounds great to me, noticed you are 1 site over from us at the fall picnic too, we are site 26 there too!

Hey Jeni it's not to late to move your sites. You might want to or Daryl will have you out caching at night in the pouring down rain plus he is getting old and cranky. :rolleyes:

Me cranky!?!? Never!

Night caching in the rain, Priceless!!!

Cranky? I can deal with cranky! I have two teenagers!

Sheesh, Darryl, you might start to think I'm stalking you or something!

Actually, I was just trying to make sure that I had a campsite near geocachers. I wanted to make sure they didn't put me in the section with the proctologists!

Hello I am new to the GeoCaching scene and I am in Fort Wayne and I will be in attendance. I am trying to get my kids involved in this so they can be outside more and not be playing video games. I hope to see you all there. :D

Edited by redd_i

Thank you Jenischmeni and Lakedawgs. I appreicate the welcome. I used to live in Greenwood more like Southport and I sure do miss Indy. I am hoping to move down there next summer. I have a question is it better to get a tent site even though I am like 25 miles from Bluffton. I dont know what to do. I am also trying to do camping with the kids so I might not have the best looking tent if I decide to get a tent site. I take it that everyone is there for the weekend on Friday night and then leave on Sunday morning......

Redd,

I cannot speak for 'everybody'. I can only tell you what I am going to do....

First off...however your tent looks, it will NOT look odd! There are tents of all sizes, shapes, colors, and conditions. (Some of them are so tiny, that they fit into a car without even being folded up! LOL) Think of a mis-matched circus. That's how we look!

I am camping both Friday and Saturday night. But, it's a pretty good haul up there for me. And...it's fun to hang out with friends.

I've not yet attended a Spring Picnic, I've only done the Fall Picnic and many of us (but not all) did camp the night before. (There was an event the night before the Fall Picnic.)

Some people do not enjoy camping. Other's can't afford a motel. Some don't mind driving home late. Some can't see at night. See? Each family has their own reasons for camping (or not).

I CAN guarantee this much: Whatever you decide to do - someone else will be doing the same!!! LOL

Lakedawgs is right - there will be a lot of children there!

I look forward to making your acquaintance!

Hey, this isn't too far off! With the beautiful weather we had yesterday, I'm ready to go!

For what it's worth, we tried to reserve a site for just Saturday and were requred to add Sunday or Friday. So we'll also be Friday to Sunday. Jeni, I think we're on your other flank, campsite-wise, so we have a decent start to Cachers Row.

I don't remember what our tent looks like. I think it's been like three years or something since we've camped. I'm sure it's lovely. I'm not at all sure we have all the parts or know where it is.

"We" includes my 7-year-old caching partner and my thinks-we're-slightly-nuts wife.

This will only be funny to those who know me well. (REALLY well.)

I have a lovely tent. It's blue. I have a blue tent. My blue tent is REALLY REALLY large. When we were camping for Trail Mix 12, Deermark affectionately called it "The Condo". My tent is so fancy that it plugs in. I'm cool like that! There are special pocket organizers for all my cosmetics. Since I have a plug in my tent, I can use my hair dryer in my tent and don't have to hog mirror space at the comfort stations.

That aside, I was able to snag my tent on 50% clearance last fall. I may be snazzy, but I'm also cheap!

Glad to have 'ya as a neighbor, Big Monkey! Your thinks-we-are-crazy-wife can go fishing with my thinks-we-are-crazy-husband! We'll go caching!!!! LOL

This will only be funny to those who know me well. (REALLY well.)

I have a lovely tent. It's blue. I have a blue tent. My blue tent is REALLY REALLY large. When we were camping for Trail Mix 12, Deermark affectionately called it "The Condo". My tent is so fancy that it plugs in. I'm cool like that! There are special pocket organizers for all my cosmetics. Since I have a plug in my tent, I can use my hair dryer in my tent and don't have to hog mirror space at the comfort stations.

That aside, I was able to snag my tent on 50% clearance last fall. I may be snazzy, but I'm also cheap!

Glad to have 'ya as a neighbor, Big Monkey! Your thinks-we-are-crazy-wife can go fishing with my thinks-we-are-crazy-husband! We'll go caching!!!! LOL

Ok I took the plunge and reserved a tent. I am on tent site #20 so I am two tents over from Jenischmeni. So I will have to check out the Tent Condo that you have. We got our tent from Wally World a couple weeks back. Since I have never camped before a coworker suggested I get the same type he has. Its a 6 person tent and its pretty tall. I am going to try to get it up when the weather is good. My girlfriend loves to fish so she is looking forward to that. I have to check out if they let animals in that site as we have a mini doxie and she would have fun as well.

On another note I have narrowed down my first GPS device. I have a Garmin Nuvi for my car so I like Garmin Products. I have narrowed down my selection to the Garmin GPSMap 60cx or the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. Any suggestions wouild be helpful? I see in Amazon they are like 30 dollars price difference. :P

WTG Redd! Hit a home run on your first time at bat!!!

I say that because I use a Nuvi and a 60CSX too!!!!

I heartily recommend a 60CSX (or CX). I do not know anyone who is disappointed in it. I love mine to pieces and it will have to be pried from my cold dead fingers.

In all fairness, I have to say that I've seen the hcx in action and it was pretty accurate. I just prefer the 60CSX. (Neater features!)

I assume that you know how to get caches loaded on the Nuvi, right? If not, I can help you with that. I have a webpage with instructions on it.

GREAT idea to set up that tent at home first! That's what we did so we wouldn't look like idiots at the campsite reading the directions and setting up a tent like Clark Griswold. (It didn't help. We still look the Griswold family goes camping.)

I got my new GPS'er today. I am reading the manual as fast as I can. I will be there on Friday around 4ish. I am in campsite 20. So I need help from fellow cachers. I got the Garmin GPSMap 60Cx after doing a lot of research.

Edited by redd_i

I got my new GPS'er today. I am reading the manual as fast as I can. I will be there on Friday around 4ish. I am in campsite 20. So I need help from fellow cachers. I got the Garmin GPSMap 60Cx after doing a lot of research.

Great choice on the GPS. That is what I use and it is does everything I want it to do(except pick the winning lottery numbers :) )

Chris-Team Shydog

Nice choice in GPSr, Redd! It's what I use too. I just don't think there is a better model than that. (MY OPINION!)

You're camping near me. We'll have time for a tutorial sometime during the weekend. (Not that I know everything about that GPSr, but I feel pretty comfortable with it.)

A random note: (I should say PLEA:) Is there anyone who is bringing a grill to the pre-event? The Friday night event?

Checking the weather reports and depending on what site I go to sounds like there will be rain either on Friday or Saturday or both and the temps are going to be in the chilly side.

I need all the help I can get figuring out the GPS unit. I will be there around 6ish. Everyone is welcome to drop by campsite 20 and say Hi to the noob.

We had a blast at the camp and the picnic. The muscles are sore from the fire tower and the hikes. Who enjoyed that rain last night? I am glad we went and we look forward to the fall picnic and I should have some caches under my belt by then and will have some stories to tell. :P

We had a blast at the camp and the picnic. The muscles are sore from the fire tower and the hikes. Who enjoyed that rain last night? I am glad we went and we look forward to the fall picnic and I should have some caches under my belt by then and will have some stories to tell. :D

Don't forget to log that you attended the event :anicute:

The rain wasn't to bad, it was taking down the wet tent that I hated! Hope to run into you at the Fall Picnic or the GeoBash.