GPS coordinates taken from maps

I'm sure this topic has come up before but cannot find any reference for it.

Is there any way of getting an accurate coordinate from a map on a web site? [WGS 84 format hddd mm mmm]

There are references provided on Google maps but they do not relate to the coordinates taken from my GPS. [for some reason] I used a bridge over a river as a reference point so it should really have been spot on.

I wish to prepare cache notes prior to review/ publication but as I cannot visit the site myself at this stage I am at a loss what to do.

Previously I have used an O.S map grid reference and programmed it into my GPS set up under O.S settings and then changed it to WGS 84 format but this is only as accurate as the reading I have manually taken off the map.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers and festive Greetings to you all, glad that no one has been injured on any of my caches yet!

Is there any way of getting an accurate coordinate from a map on a web site? [WGS 84 format hddd mm mmm]

There are references provided on Google maps but they do not relate to the coordinates taken from my GPS. [for some reason] I used a bridge over a river as a reference point so it should really have been spot on.

I wish to prepare cache notes prior to review/ publication but as I cannot visit the site myself at this stage I am at a loss what to do.

Previously I have used an O.S map grid reference and programmed it into my GPS set up under O.S settings and then changed it to WGS 84 format but this is only as accurate as the reading I have manually taken off the map.

Cheers and festive Greetings to you all, glad that no one has been injured on any of my caches yet!

You're obviously not a MemoryMap user.... :D

I've used approximate co-ordinates to get a cache reviewed before. You can change the co-ordinates for more accurate ones later without reference to our 'Illustrious Trio', provided that they're within 0.1 miles of the original ones. You should be able to get within that distance on a 1:50,000 O.S. map without too much trouble and on a 1:25,000 Explorer Series it should be easy-peasy :D

You're obviously not a MemoryMap user.... B)

I've used approximate co-ordinates to get a cache reviewed before. You can change the co-ordinates for more accurate ones later without reference to our 'Illustrious Trio', provided that they're within 0.1 miles of the original ones. You should be able to get within that distance on a 1:50,000 O.S. map without too much trouble and on a 1:25,000 Explorer Series it should be easy-peasy :D

Now I'll forget that I read the highlighted part :D:D

Or here's what I do - I get a very rough location using the GPS (maybe within 100 metres) and upload to GSAK. I then view the 'waypoint' in Google Earth and see how the coords need tweaking. Back to GSAK and adjust them, then replot on google earth - carry on like this until the point is spot on...

I've done this for a large proportion of my caches - especially where reception is poor, and I only had an etrex. Many people have commented on the accuracy of our coords, so it definately works! I may even say better than a non-Sirf GPS. (although I'm not going to start a debate if people think I'm wrong with that statement!)

You can on the Ordnance Survey map.

Go to www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk

Type in a place name on the left hand side box eg Liverpool

New window appears, and the map appears (as default a 1:50,000 scale)

Place mouse pointer on map.

On right hand side of map you will see the WGS format

If you want to see closer, on the left hand side of the map, click the + sign and will zoom in to 1:25,000 scale map.

Free - easy and fairly quick.

To get a cache reviewed it must be in position.

To put a cache in position you must have visited the site.

If you visited the site (and had your GPS with you!) you will know the coordinates.

So where's the need to use a map?

I do agree, prior to the cache going to review I will have an accurate [well averaged anyway] GPS reading. But this is prior to arriving at the prospective cache site.

If you want to see closer, on the left hand side of the map, click the + sign and will zoom in to 1:25,000 scale map.

Fantastic, this looks the business ---will try it out

Many thanks :D:D

Fantastic, this looks the business ---will try it out

Many thanks :D:D

actually no, it did not work as it only came up in O.S format and not in WS ?

Some thing I missed?

:D:DB)

er - nope nothing you missed. Something I missed. I've had the greasemonkey tools for so long I just forget. I use firefox for my browser and because I've gone and installed some geocaching friendly tools for greasemonkey it customises a couple of websites. Ordnance Survey one of them. I include a screen shot of what it looks like. You can see I have highlighted the WGS co-ordinates and the funky Greasemonkey icon too. Sorry to have given false hope.

wgs84.JPG

Edited by scottpa100

If you are in a part of the country with good Google Earth imagery (which I believe you are) this is probably the best option. You may first have to change your settings Tools / Options / tick the 'Degrees, Decimal Minutes' option under Show Lat/Long but the coordinates given in bottom LH corner of the screen under the scale are as accurate as most gps units.

You'll find that if you paste any cache page co-ords into the search box at the top it will show you exactly where a cache is. In open country I've often used this to determine where a cache I'm hiding is then double checked it on my gps.

Google Earth is a great cacher's friend!

If you are in a part of the country with good Google Earth imagery (which I believe you are) this is probably the best option. You may first have to change your settings Tools / Options / tick the 'Degrees, Decimal Minutes' option under Show Lat/Long but the coordinates given in bottom LH corner of the screen under the scale are as accurate as most gps units.

You'll find that if you paste any cache page co-ords into the search box at the top it will show you exactly where a cache is. In open country I've often used this to determine where a cache I'm hiding is then double checked it on my gps.

Google Earth is a great cacher's friend!

To get a cache reviewed it must be in position.

To put a cache in position you must have visited the site.

If you visited the site (and had your GPS with you!) you will know the coordinates.

So where's the need to use a map?

The cache has been set

The co-ords have been taken and checked.

You get home and write the page...............then you realise you never took the parking co-ords.......

THAT's when Memory Map becomes invaluable!

:D

Does anyone else do this?

Place a new cache, get a really good average reading, get home and bring up the coords on googlemaps.

Find your own 'super-accurate' :D coords seem to be slightly at variance with Googlemaps?

I have this dilemma each and every time I place a cache, and I have been know to take an average of my own and googlemaps reading when deciding what the published coordinates should be. Should one trust googlemap in every case? (I know streetmap can put caches on the wrong side of a canal for instance.)

Do googlemaps have their own idiosyncrasies?

Edited by Mr.Dewdrop